Thursday, August 10, 2017

Late last month, Russian President Vladimir Putin announced Russia will expel more than 750 U.S. mission staff members from the country in retaliation for President Trump begrudgingly singing a Russian sanctions bill that was approved by veto-proof majorities in both chambers of Congress. For days, Trump said nothing. During a question-and-answer sessions with reporters at his private golf club in New Jersey on Thursday, Trump finally responded to Putin's move. The president -- who has staunchly refused to criticize Putin in any way shape or form since launching his presidential bid more than two years ago -- actually thanked Putin for expelling American diplomats, saying that it'll help the State Department cut costs. Trump didn't appear to be joking.

Alternate links: Google News | Twitter

"I want to thank him because we're trying to cut down our payroll and as far as I'm concerned I'm very thankful that he let go of a large number of people because now we have a smaller payroll," he said. "There's no real reason for them to go back. I greatly appreciate the fact that we've been able to cut our payroll of the United States. We're going to save a lot of money."

Comments

Damn anyone and everyone who foisted this imbecile into the globe's most powerful office, allowing his ignorance and narcissism to make this nation a real laughing stock when we aren't covering in fear that he'll launch nukes because 'Il Kim's equally deranged spawn might hurt his fe-fe's.

Would someone please tell this golf-obsessed drama queen that words mean absolutely nothing, but bombs and nukes are forever before it's actually too late? At this point I think a majority of the nation would like to save money by removing this walking, talking taxpayer dollar-eating moron from office asap. That's the only money I want to see our federal government save from a worthless civil servant of absolutely no appreciable value to this nation's well being nor future. There are plenty more politicians who can better champion the exact same policies without all the other untenable brain damage that he inflicts along the way.

#1 | Posted by tonyroma at 2017-08-10 05:32 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

This is puerile.

#2 | Posted by Zed at 2017-08-10 05:34 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

So Putin IS in charge of American foreign policy.

#3 | Posted by truthhurts at 2017-08-10 05:39 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 4

If trump really want's to save money he can stop going on vacation and we can just start taking orders from putin directly.

#4 | Posted by IndianaJones at 2017-08-10 06:16 PM | Reply

Trump's remarks did not go down well among the rank-and-file at the State Department, some of whom noted that the people who would be most affected are locally hired staff crucial to American diplomats' work overseas.

A senior U.S. diplomat serving overseas called Trump's remarks "outrageous" and said it could lead more State Department staffers to head for the exits.

"This is so incredibly demoralizing and disrespectful to people serving their country in harm's way," the diplomat said.

"I kid you not, I have heard from three different people in the last five minutes," one State Department official told POLITICO shortly after Trump's comments. "Everyone seems pretty amazed. This statement is naive and shortsighted. It sends a terrible signal to local employees everywhere."

"THANK Putin?" another bewildered State Department official responded. "I don't have words that are printable to describe my reaction."

www.politico.com

It's like we have a dimwitted reality tv show host as Pres... oh, wait....

#5 | Posted by Corky at 2017-08-10 06:26 PM | Reply

Cutting payroll? How?

Most of these folks are civil servants. They get reassigned to another post unless Trump fires them.

#6 | Posted by et_al at 2017-08-10 06:27 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

Trump's leadership style is to feed people his feces and see who eats it the fastest and says it tastes the best. Those are the ones he can count on.

He's institutionalized into White House protocol now, with the team collecting the pro-Trump tweets and the praise lavished on him by his Cabinet.

#7 | Posted by snoofy at 2017-08-10 06:38 PM | Reply | Funny: 1

Colbert was right, Trump is Putin's ---- holster.

#8 | Posted by bored at 2017-08-10 07:26 PM | Reply

This is puerile.

#2 | POSTED BY ZED AT 2017-08-10 05:34 PM | FLAG:

So Putin IS in charge of American foreign policy.

#3 | POSTED BY TRUTHHURTS AT 2017-08-10 05:39 PM | REPLY |

Lawrence O'Donnell is on fire as I type this. "Pure Aooeasement" he's calling it. First and foremost, if any other US President had uttered "thank you" to Russia for having expelled 750 US Embassy personnel the articles of impeachment would have already been written.

Trump has proven without a doubt that he ----- on the Constitution and has no idea what it says. And to top that off, he doesn't even realize the people being expelled are not being fired from their jobs, only being reassigned! If this week hasn't convinced the sane and rational in America that our sitting POTUS is rucking futs and incredibly unfit for his office and a clear and present danger to the safety of many on this planet.

Take off your blinders, this doesn't have anything to do with collusion it has to do with his complete fealty toward Putin no matter how much influence he metes on America while our President actually thanks him as if he's doing him a favor! The man is unfit and has to be removed from office. Think, please, before it might be too late. What do your own senses and feelings tell you? Am I crazy or is this beyond any nightmare, and not because of policy, solely because of person? Trump just spit in the face of every State Department and actually any federal government employee including our military.

This is simply insane.

#9 | Posted by tonyroma at 2017-08-10 10:23 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 2

That's "Appeasement", the eyes are tired.

#10 | Posted by tonyroma at 2017-08-10 10:24 PM | Reply

This is stupid on so many levels that I am seriously thinking Trump is losing his mind.

#11 | Posted by YAV at 2017-08-10 10:45 PM | Reply

That's tough call. Is he losing his mind, or is he just in so far over his head it just looks like it?

It's like it's "POTUS Apprentice", he's the only player, and he's losing.

#12 | Posted by REDIAL at 2017-08-10 10:59 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

It's like it's "POTUS Apprentice", he's the only player, and we're losing.

He might be the player, but we're the GAME.

#13 | Posted by tonyroma at 2017-08-10 11:07 PM | Reply

"Donald Trump Attacked Congress for sanctions against Russia... and THANKED Putin for sanctions against the United States."- stolen from somewhere

#14 | Posted by TedBaxter at 2017-08-11 12:09 AM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

Awesome.

To the "Never Trumpers": I finally get it that "Never Trumpers" are not limited to any given Party. Took me a while. But there it is. Being for or against Trump has nothing to do with party. So "Never Trumpers" need to get this loud and clear. The underlying support for Trump, no matter which thing he said he'd address that they specifically like, lies in one single horrific point.

We Trumpers like it when he behaves like a blunt instrument.

We WANT Trump to be a blunt instrument that will beat the D.C. establishment to death. It has never mattered much to us which particular piece of that establishment is getting its teeth kicked in, or why, or how.

Those out there who have supported Socialism, supported Federal solutions to any given number of minor issues, who have placed us in a situation that it is a selling point for a contractor to have HUD approval in order to level a damn mobile home, all of YOU. Take note. Each time you complain, whine, insult, furrow your cute little brows, every time your react visibly and negatively, Trump is fulfilling the biggest campaign promise he never actually made. And your reactions are music to our ears, and comedy to our eyes. A veritable feast for our senses.

We Trumpers exist in a world where our worst fear is our own out-of-control government bureacracy, and we HATE, truly, viciously, actively HATE every single established political and social institutions that support it. Yes it is HATE, and Gawd help us all if that hate actually ever boils over into rage.

So this thing about the diplomats, and Trump's response?

AWESOME truly AWESOME! Let me go get some more popcorn for the next act!

#15 | Posted by AWinter at 2017-08-11 08:06 AM | Reply | Funny: 1

You're a very stupid man, AWINTER, and unbalanced.

#16 | Posted by Zed at 2017-08-11 08:10 AM | Reply

But then, you're stupid. We all know that here. Hilarious AWINTER! You, once again, demonstrated why we laugh at you.

#17 | Posted by danni at 2017-08-11 08:11 AM | Reply

Most are local Russian national support staff. What Trumps should have said was the negative overall economic impact Putin's move is going to do. Gotta' be in the 10's of millions of dollars!

#18 | Posted by Gr8Music at 2017-08-11 08:12 AM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

I love it when I unknowingly concur with Zed. It makes me feel secure that my thought is shared by someone with real intelligence.

#19 | Posted by danni at 2017-08-11 08:13 AM | Reply

#20 | Posted by danni at 2017-08-11 08:13 AM | Reply

If your hate ever boils over into rage? Thanks for the insight into your mind, you sick puppy. Sucks to be you.

#21 | Posted by Zed at 2017-08-11 08:13 AM | Reply

#16 | POSTED BY ZED
#17 | POSTED BY DANNI

No, I think the term is troll.

Then again, about half the poster's here are trolls so I guess I'll STFU now :)

#22 | Posted by Lohocla at 2017-08-11 08:15 AM | Reply

"Most are local Russian national support staff. What Trumps should have said was the negative overall economic impact Putin's move is going to do."

In the challenged economy of Russia I suspect those jobs are highly valued and this will harm many families. It isn't a good thing for anyone, especially not for those Russian employees who didn't do anything to cause this to happen.

#23 | Posted by danni at 2017-08-11 08:15 AM | Reply

"No, I think the term is troll."

I will only say this, Zed is not a troll. He is a passionate person with progressive beliefs who is willing to actually call out the hypocrisy of the other side. There are trolls here, Zed is hardly one of them.

#24 | Posted by danni at 2017-08-11 08:18 AM | Reply

That was a long and involved post for a troll.

Sick minds support sick minds. It's the easiest way to explain Trumpism.

AWINTER supports the destruction of his own country. Because someone got him mad.

I guess he was too serious as an adolescent and now feels he missed something.

#25 | Posted by Zed at 2017-08-11 08:21 AM | Reply

For those keeping score, when Russia disagreed with U.S. intelligence agencies, Trump sided with Putin. When Russia disagreed with the U.S. Congress, Trump sided with Putin. And when Russia moved against U.S. diplomats, Trump thanked Putin.

It's enough to make one wonder what Moscow has on the American president. Steve Benen

State Department personnel serving in foreign nations are the defenders and protectors of Americans traveling or living in those countries. They are our front line people who help keep peaceful working relationships between our governments and others and their job is just as important if not more important than our active military. Wars always come to an end and others never start, and in either case the State Department has the job of facilitating both potentialities and keeping the peace secure. To hint that their service is something this nation can live without only shows the ignorance and insanity of those touting such destabilizing nonsense.

#26 | Posted by tonyroma at 2017-08-11 08:22 AM | Reply | Newsworthy 2

10 less Federal employees is a good start!

All of a sudden Lib's are worried about Russian jobs. LOL

#27 | Posted by Federalist at 2017-08-11 08:27 AM | Reply

ALT RIGHT CONSERVATIVE ARE PIGS AND SCUM....THIER PRESIDENT IS A TRUE EMBARRASMENT, THESE PEOPLE TRULY HAVE NO SHAME, NO DIGINITY AND NO LOVE OF COUNTRY....

#28 | Posted by Droffilc1945 at 2017-08-11 08:32 AM | Reply

#28 | Posted by Droffilc1945
Did you spill purple koolaid on your keyboard and get the caps key stuck?

#29 | Posted by Federalist at 2017-08-11 08:34 AM | Reply

On an aside, am I the only one who noticed that during Trump and Putin's press availability at the G20 when Trump stuck his hand out to shake Putin's he intentionally put his hand out horizontally palm up so that Putin could place his hand on top of Trump's in the dominant position?

When most of us shake hands we extend our hands with our fingers oriented vertically and it stuck me as strange that Trump would take the "bottom" on purpose of his own volition since his entire persona revolves around dominating people through his personality and force of will. It was just an overt sign of weakness and fealty one would expect from a supplicant, not the POTUS.

#30 | Posted by tonyroma at 2017-08-11 08:37 AM | Reply | Funny: 1

#24 | POSTED BY DANNI

And Here I thought that I was clearly referring to AWINTER in my post, especially when I referenced both your and Zeds replies to AWINTER.

Zed, well, you're comparing this troll to Sniper. Not everyone can master the one line nonsense post like him, bless his heart.

#31 | Posted by Lohocla at 2017-08-11 08:39 AM | Reply

"Thank you, Sir, may I have another?" - Donald "Bear Gobbbler" Trump.

#32 | Posted by RevDarko at 2017-08-11 08:40 AM | Reply

"Hey Osama, thanks for cutting salaries at The Pentagon on 9/11."

~ Donnie Bonespurs~ ~

#33 | Posted by reinheitsgebot at 2017-08-11 08:44 AM | Reply

All of a sudden Lib's are worried about Russian jobs. LOL

No, we're worried about our ignorant President who wrongly believes the US personnel stationed in Russia were fired by Putin and the startling reality that an act of overt aggression against our own government's ability to perform the functions of our embassy with the personnel we desire isn't decried by our POTUS, it instead elicits a "thank you" issued toward the person sanctioning us.

Putin sanctioned the US Government and our POTUS THANKED HIM?!?! What in holy hell is wrong with you people? Putin is allowed to determine our staff size now? He can tell us who we can and who we can't hire to facilitate our needs within his country and Americans are fine with subletting our foreign policy to Putin? When have sanctions against the US ever been cheered on by the US President?

You people don't deserve this country because you refuse to stand up and fight for the very people working to keep us safe and make it all possible. This is simply disgusting, and should be countered by expelling the same amount of Russian personnel and support staff as Putin did if not more.

The fact you don't see this is alarming.

#34 | Posted by tonyroma at 2017-08-11 08:49 AM | Reply

All of a sudden Lib's are worried about Russian jobs. LOL

#27 | POSTED BY FEDERALIST

Not that I'm a lib, but I think the worry is more of a "is there enough people left to do the job, and does the lack of ability from a reduced workforce endanger anyone or anything?" sort of thing.

For me it's not a right/left thing, mostly because it's counter productive. Republicans and Democrats both act like their feces doesn't stink and that they have all the best ideas and the one solution to fix all our ails.

Sorry bub, doesn't work like that, neither side is 100% right or wrong there are idiots all over the spectrum. Until we start basing decisions on good/bad ideas instead of party affiliation, we're just going to continue coasting down this hill we're on.

#35 | Posted by Lohocla at 2017-08-11 08:54 AM | Reply

#30 | POSTED BY TONYROMA

Uhm.....vertically? Isn't that a hi-five? Did you mean horizontally, cos that's how I do it and I'd like to know if I'm doing it wrong :)

#36 | Posted by Lohocla at 2017-08-11 09:01 AM | Reply

You're right. I meant vertically as in one on top of the other, but they are pointing horizontally.

Thanks.

#37 | Posted by tonyroma at 2017-08-11 09:13 AM | Reply

--It was just an overt sign of weakness and fealty one would expect from a supplicant, not the POTUS.

lol. You should stick to the goofy conspiracy stories from the PalmReader Report and PatrioBaloney.

#38 | Posted by nullifidian at 2017-08-11 09:23 AM | Reply | Funny: 2

I realize you're completely irrational these days Nulli, but look at these photos and see if you can find a single one where Trump assumes the position that he does with Putin.
Everybody else
Putin

BTW it's called body language and it's not a conspiracy, it's a component of psychology.

#39 | Posted by tonyroma at 2017-08-11 09:39 AM | Reply

#37 | POSTED BY TONYROMA

Oh, I see what you mean now, palm up instead of pointing to the left like a regular handshake. Reading it now it's pretty obvious what you meant, but that "vertical" threw me for a loop.

#40 | Posted by Lohocla at 2017-08-11 10:30 AM | Reply

All six of you?

#41 | Posted by iamanole2 at 2017-08-11 10:44 AM | Reply

Tony, I never noticed before, but the photo of him shaking Clinton's hand after the debate sure looks like he is white-knuckling. Looks like he is trying to break her hand.

And yes, body language is a key indicator of state of mind.

#42 | Posted by ND_Perspective at 2017-08-11 11:09 AM | Reply

#39 | POSTED BY TONYROMA

Pretty much. Usually it's easy to read too much into body language w/out a good baseline, but Trump is pretty transparent in that area. The video of him when he was doubling down on NK is a good example.

Arms crossed, on the edge of his seat, bolt upright, straight back, shoulders pulled up like he's in the middle of a shrug just came off as being scared to me, like even he can't believe he's saying what he's saying.

#43 | Posted by Lohocla at 2017-08-11 11:17 AM | Reply

Trump would go broke if he was a poker player. His tells are as obvious as his ignorance and fear whenever he opens his mouth.

There has to be a reason your companies go bankrupt 5/6 different times, and competence isn't one of them. Neither is judgment.

#44 | Posted by tonyroma at 2017-08-11 11:23 AM | Reply

Donald J. Trump‏ @realDonaldTrump

Polls are starting to look really bad for Obama. Looks like he'll have to start a war or major conflict to win. Don't put it past him!

7:30 AM - 17 Oct 2012

Well, we certainly wouldn't put it past you, Donald.

#45 | Posted by Gal_Tuesday at 2017-08-11 02:51 PM | Reply

#6 | Posted by et_al

Shhh... he doesn't know that.

#46 | Posted by WhoDaMan at 2017-08-11 04:34 PM | Reply

So Putin IS in charge of American foreign policy.

#3 | Posted by truthhurts

Who said that?

#47 | Posted by Sniper at 2017-08-11 04:44 PM | Reply

#9 | Posted by tonyroma

So, what did you expect after little o kicked q bunch of russians out of the US? How many people do we need in that dump of a country?

#48 | Posted by Sniper at 2017-08-11 04:48 PM | Reply

#48 | POSTED BY SNIPER

Dunno, enough to do the job I guess?

#49 | Posted by Lohocla at 2017-08-11 04:53 PM | Reply

#48;

You really hate the United States, huh comrade?

#50 | Posted by IndianaJones at 2017-08-11 04:54 PM | Reply

So Putin IS in charge of American foreign policy.
#3 | Posted by truthhurts
Who said that?
#47 | Posted by Sniper

I did. Can't you read?

#51 | Posted by truthhurts at 2017-08-11 05:10 PM | Reply

10 less Federal employees is a good start!

All of a sudden Lib's are worried about Russian jobs. LOL

#27 | Posted by Federalist

Federal employees work for Putin now? AS I understand it those Federal employees work for the State Dept.

They get paid whether they are in another country or not. (shows how much Trump knows about Federal budgeting)

And Putin is in charge of our personnel and budgeting decisions now, too?

Only in TrumpLandia!

#52 | Posted by donnerboy at 2017-08-11 05:51 PM | Reply

This also affects Russians who work at the American Embassy. They will have a very difficult time trying to find new work, as they are "contaminated".

#53 | Posted by WhoDaMan at 2017-08-11 08:13 PM | Reply

"it stuck me as strange that Trump would take the "bottom" on purpose of his own volition"

He's clearly bottoming for Putin.

#54 | Posted by BruceBanner at 2017-08-12 12:11 AM | Reply