Thursday, August 10, 2017

... then why are fruit and vegetables rotting in the fields waiting to be picked? Across America, farms are experiencing similar troubles. In May, Tom Nassif, the president of Western Growers, a farming association representing family farmers in Arizona, California, Colorado and New Mexico, traveled to Washington, DC, with 25 farm owners. When Senator Dianne Feinstein of California asked how many were experiencing labor shortages, they all raised their hands.

Alternate links: Google News | Twitter

California, which produces a third of America's vegetables and two-thirds of its fruits and nuts, has been particularly affected. The Farm Labour Survey and US Census of Agriculture record that the state lost nearly 40% of its agricultural workforce between 2002 and 2014. According to the Grower-Shipper Association of Santa Barbara and San Luis Obispo Counties, $13 million worth of fruit and vegetables had to be plowed under in 2015 because of the lack of pickers -- up from $11 million in 2014. At Limoneira, overripe lemons litter the ground under the trees.

Farmers blame the labor shortage on a variety of factors. Fewer Mexicans are coming north to America, the result of a combination of improved border security, an increasingly robust economy in Mexico and a lower birth rate. Analysis by the Pew Research Center in 2015 found that net migration to America from Mexico was 2.3 million between 1995 and 2000. Between 2005 and 2014, more Mexicans left America than arrived. Such dynamics have been tough for farmers. According to the most recent data from the Department of Labor, 70% of farm workers are Mexican; in California that number is closer to 90%.

Comments

WOW Someone around here with a high IQ Quotient has been saying the same exact thing. Damn she's smart.

#1 | Posted by LauraMohr at 2017-08-09 09:25 PM | Reply | Funny: 1

Damn, I guess they'll have to raise wages to attract workers :)

Too bad, so sad.

#2 | Posted by HeliumRat at 2017-08-09 09:32 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 3

Damn, I guess they'll have to raise wages to attract workers :)

Too bad, so sad.

Posted by HeliumRat at 2017-08-09 09:32 PM | Reply

Your ignorance is off the charts. Even with higher wages most Americans won't do that back breaking labor.

#3 | Posted by LauraMohr at 2017-08-09 09:42 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

Damn, I guess they'll have to raise wages to attract workers :)

Too bad, so sad.

#2 | Posted by HeliumRat at 2017

They have raise wages

#4 | Posted by PunchyPossum at 2017-08-09 09:50 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

Funny how that works, close down illegal immigration and they have to raise wages...interestingly enough, Toni Atkins (D) Imperial Valley and incoming Speaker of the Assembly is making noise about requiring able bodied Unemployment recipients to work in the fields in exchange for benefits.

#5 | Posted by Rightocenter at 2017-08-09 09:51 PM | Reply

#3 Your ignorance is off the charts. I've done farm work when I was a teen. And construction work. For peanuts.

They can hire day laborers for a decent wage. It works in Europe, Australia, and Canada.

#6 | Posted by HeliumRat at 2017-08-09 09:55 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

I worked landscaping one high school summer. It wasn't easy but I was able to do it. To claim that low-income American citizens simply won't do that kind of work is absurd. It was the ridiculous argument that George W. Bush employed to defend his administration's lax border enforcement.

#7 | Posted by JeffJ at 2017-08-09 09:58 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

THEY HAVE RAISE WAGES STILL THEY LACK WORKERS.

Christ right wingers just chant the same crap over and over again no matter what the facts state

#8 | Posted by PunchyPossum at 2017-08-09 09:59 PM | Reply

#6 | Posted by HeliumRat at 2017-08-09 09:

Yeah I have been a Farm laborer too Laura is correct

#9 | Posted by PunchyPossum at 2017-08-09 10:02 PM | Reply

#8 They obviously didn't raise them enough.

#10 | Posted by HeliumRat at 2017-08-09 10:04 PM | Reply

They haven't raised them enough...fail microeconomics much?

Christ left wingers just chant the same crap over and over again no matter what the facts state.

#11 | Posted by Rightocenter at 2017-08-09 10:05 PM | Reply | Funny: 2

And why are some of us, as progressives, defending what is basically a slave economy that exploits illegal immigrants?

I DO NOT GET THAT.

#12 | Posted by HeliumRat at 2017-08-09 10:06 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 3

Because by ignoring it they can still get cheap _________ and feel good about themselves because they "care" so much about everything else.

#13 | Posted by Rightocenter at 2017-08-09 10:10 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

I DO NOT GET THAT.

Posted by HeliumRat at 2017-08-09 10:06 PM | Reply

#14 | Posted by LauraMohr at 2017-08-09 10:14 PM | Reply | Funny: 1

#7 | Posted by JeffJ at 2017-08-09 09:58 PM | Reply | Flag:

Landscaping doesn't even compare to picking crops. You know nothing bout the subject matter obviously.

#15 | Posted by LauraMohr at 2017-08-09 10:16 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 2

I have a LOT of Minnesota relatives who have picked crops - they are all citizens.

#16 | Posted by JeffJ at 2017-08-09 10:17 PM | Reply

Posted by JeffJ at 2017-08-09 10:17 PM | Reply

I honestly do not believe you Jeff.

#17 | Posted by LauraMohr at 2017-08-09 10:18 PM | Reply

You don't believe that I have a lot of Minnesota relatives on my mom's side of the family who are generational farmers?

Um, Ok. I guess all of those extended family reunions were a figment of my imagination.

#18 | Posted by JeffJ at 2017-08-09 10:20 PM | Reply

My mom has Minnesota farmers on both sides of her family. I spent some time at their farms when I was a kid.

#19 | Posted by JeffJ at 2017-08-09 10:21 PM | Reply

#18 | Posted by JeffJ at 2017-08-09 10:20 PM | Reply | Flag:

I do not believe you Jeff. It's sad when you make up a comparison of landscaping to picking crops and then get called on your bs comparison you then turn to this. I miss the old honest Jeff.

#20 | Posted by LauraMohr at 2017-08-09 10:23 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

"I miss the old honest Jeff."

His wife is a Trumper.
He's basically going through Stockholm Syndrome in slow motion right before our eyes.
So, at least we know why he's acting like this.

#21 | Posted by snoofy at 2017-08-09 10:27 PM | Reply

"They haven't raised them enough...fail microeconomics much?"

You just love to dazzle people with complete Bull poop dont you.

why dont you check into your westcoastlawyer account and flag your own post as newsworthy some more

#22 | Posted by PunchyPossum at 2017-08-09 10:28 PM | Reply | Funny: 2

#20 | POSTED BY LAURAMOHR

I wasn't drawing equivalence between the 2. Perhaps my landscaping experience was a bad example as I've never personally picked crops. That doesn't change the fact that I do have family in Minnesota, on both sides of my mom's family, who have generational farms, and who have picked crops.

I am not speculating, I'm talking about family. For you to challenge me on this is beyond ridiculous, it's personally offensive. When you talk about your family I don't call you a liar. I would think, by now, I would have earned similar courtesy. Or, are you just an -------? You tell me.

#23 | Posted by JeffJ at 2017-08-09 10:29 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 4

His wife is a Trumper.
So, at least we know why he's acting like this.

Posted by snoofy at 2017-08-09 10:27 PM | Reply

Let's not bring Jeff's wife into this. She has nothing to do with the Retort.

#24 | Posted by LauraMohr at 2017-08-09 10:30 PM | Reply

"I wasn't drawing equivalence between the 2."

Then what does this mean,

"To claim that low-income American citizens simply won't do that kind of work is absurd."

"That kind of work."

Your words, JeffJ.
Own them.

#25 | Posted by snoofy at 2017-08-09 10:32 PM | Reply

"Let's not bring Jeff's wife into this. She has nothing to do with the Retort."

She has a lot to do with Jeff.

#26 | Posted by snoofy at 2017-08-09 10:33 PM | Reply

Your words, JeffJ.
Own them.

#25 | POSTED BY SNOOFY A

I already acknowledged it was bad equivalence. I disavowed my words. Yet, you pester after the fact anyway. Why?

#27 | Posted by JeffJ at 2017-08-09 10:34 PM | Reply

"Let's not bring Jeff's wife into this. She has nothing to do with the Retort."
She has a lot to do with Jeff.

#26 | POSTED BY SNOOFY

Yes, she does. However, since she doesn't post here she has nothing to do with the Retort.

#28 | Posted by JeffJ at 2017-08-09 10:36 PM | Reply

#1 | Posted by LauraMohr at 2017-08-09 09:25 PM

#29 | Posted by Avigdore at 2017-08-10 10:07 AM | Reply

"America wants to be a capitalist country. That's part of the costs of a capitalist economy."

The bankers want us to be a capitalist nation, most Americans want us to be a free enterprise economy. The bankers want a monopolized fascist economy where the government operates to insure their monopolies.

#30 | Posted by danni at 2017-08-10 10:39 AM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

#3 | Posted by LauraMohr

Not as ling as those big welfare checks keep rolling in.

#31 | Posted by Sniper at 2017-08-10 02:11 PM | Reply

#5 | Posted by Rightocenter

Sounds good to me.

#32 | Posted by Sniper at 2017-08-10 02:12 PM | Reply

#14 | Posted by LauraMohr

What part of a capitalist country is giving financial aid to able bodied people when there is work to be done?

#33 | Posted by Sniper at 2017-08-10 02:15 PM | Reply

I honestly do not believe you Jeff.

#17 | Posted by LauraMohr

Then you are hopelessly stoopid.

#34 | Posted by Sniper at 2017-08-10 02:16 PM | Reply

Look as someone who spent their youth picking crops and mowing lawns... Picking crops SUCKS.

It's hard work for peanuts. I can't tell you how many quarts of Blueberries I picked between 10 and 18 on my Uncles farm. Hand method - not the fancy machine harvesters they use today. I would mow lawns all day long over a half day doing that.

Good luck getting American kids to do it today - not to mention anyone else. When I was a kid, teens would last a day in general. Now they won't even think about it. My sister had my nephew get a job picking strawberries. He is a solidly good kid with a good work ethic worked on by his parents but it is his nature too. It was mostly Hispanics picking (I don't know their immigration status) and some kids. The Mexican guy running the pickers thought he was the only one that was good out of 20+ kids and complimented him on his work ethic and arriving on time and staying the whole time. He was one of 4 that lasted the whole season.

All that said, what will happen is farmers will be going out of business. Foreign food is going to be much cheaper than trying to pay pickers $20-25/hour to pick. Besides if nobody noticed unemployment is very low.

#35 | Posted by GalaxiePete at 2017-08-10 04:38 PM | Reply

Consumers love the low cost of products and services that low-skilled immigrants provide. That is, for every single industry except the ones they're working in.

Should we bring in immigrants to teach school, for example? Their English can often be pretty good, so no problem there. And we could save a lot of money by hiring Poles and Guatemalans to teach, especially in primary school, as opposed to hiring a teacher for $34,000 starting pay. Good idea? Or only if they're going to be picking berries?

#36 | Posted by WhiteDevil at 2017-08-10 08:41 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 3

#36 You aren't going to save much with immigrant teachers, the real savings is breaking the doctors union and letting in immigrant doctors. Many would love to work for $100k a year. That would cut health care costs by 25% at least.

#37 | Posted by bored at 2017-08-10 09:29 PM | Reply

#35 imported goods contain imported labor, so allowing in goods but not labor will move all high labor cost food production to low wage countries like Mexico. US farmers will have to automate more and shed jobs like they have been doing for decades.

#38 | Posted by bored at 2017-08-10 09:31 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

#36 "Their English can often be pretty good"

Better than yours I hope.
They speak the language well.LOL

#39 | Posted by bruceaz at 2017-08-10 09:42 PM | Reply

Okay Bored, I'll play along. Let's do both. Immigrant doctors to save 25% per year. And immigrant teachers to save $10,000 per teacher per year. That will add up quickly.

#40 | Posted by WhiteDevil at 2017-08-10 10:59 PM | Reply

#37 | POSTED BY BORED AT 2017-08-10 09:29 PM | FLAG:

The immigrant doctors are already here. We fast track their immigration.

No, there is zero savings to be found in that.

#41 | Posted by sitzkrieg at 2017-08-11 09:13 AM | Reply

"breaking the doctors union"

And what Union is that?

#42 | Posted by Danforth at 2017-08-11 09:15 AM | Reply | Funny: 2

Also, a lot of the states listed as having "crops on the ground", use E-verify for contractors and subcontractors. So no slave labor for them unless they're willing to risk their business for a minor increase in profits.

#43 | Posted by sitzkrieg at 2017-08-11 09:16 AM | Reply

Picking fruits, nuts and vegetables is the largest single cost to farming these foods. Tomatoes have been mechanized but they have no sweetness. This is why the South fought so hard for slavery.

#44 | Posted by bayviking at 2017-08-11 12:43 PM | Reply

Why don't we just cut the rhetoric and just pay everyone minimum wage. then we could all buy everything real cheap!!!

YAY CAPITALISM!!!

#45 | Posted by hatter5183 at 2017-08-11 02:11 PM | Reply

Jeff,
My mom grew up in Martin County outside Fairmont. While nobody in the family is still farming, I have very fond memories of going to see Grandpa on the farm in southern Minnesota. She said Martin County would claim that it had the darkest (richest) soil in the US.

#46 | Posted by dylanfan at 2017-08-11 02:33 PM | Reply

Let me get it straight, the people at McDonald's and the gas station clerk (and jobs like that, need have artificially high wage ($15 an hour push people), to do not very hard work. But we should for some reason have cheap crop (foreign) pickers getting $8 an hour or less, doing hard labor? And this is somehow ok with people on the left????? WTF!!!!

#47 | Posted by PinkyanTheBrain at 2017-08-11 03:03 PM | Reply | Funny: 1 | Newsworthy 1

California Crops Rot as Immigration Crackdown Creates Farmworker Shortage

Vegetable prices may be going up soon, as a shortage of migrant workers is resulting in lost crops in California.

Farmers say they're having trouble hiring enough people to work during harvest season, causing some crops to rot before they can be picked. Already, the situation has triggered losses of more than $13 million in two California counties alone, according to NBC News.

The ongoing battle about U.S. immigration policies is blamed for the shortage. The vast majority of California's farm workers are foreign born, with many coming from Mexico. However, the PEW Research Center reports more Mexicans are leaving the U.S. than coming here.

To make the jobs more attractive, farmers are offering salaries above minimum wage, along with paid time off and 401(k) plans, but even that's not proving enough.

fortune.com

#48 | Posted by Gal_Tuesday at 2017-08-11 03:18 PM | Reply

Remember Rick Wilson's rule: "Everything Trump touches dies."

#49 | Posted by Gal_Tuesday at 2017-08-11 03:19 PM | Reply

--Remember Rick Wilson's rule: "Everything Trump touches dies."

Who is Rick Wilson and why is his opinion any more important than my plumber's?

#50 | Posted by nullifidian at 2017-08-11 03:29 PM | Reply | Funny: 1

Feel free to google Rick Wilson and to quote your plumber if his/her opinion strikes you as noteworthy.

#51 | Posted by Gal_Tuesday at 2017-08-11 03:32 PM | Reply

--Feel free to google Rick Wilson

Why would I waste time doing that?

Protip: The "appeal to authority" fallacy works better when you actually cite an authority.

#52 | Posted by nullifidian at 2017-08-11 07:29 PM | Reply

Why would you waste time asking who Rick Wilson is? Who knows and who cares?

Protip: The "appeal to authority" fallacy works better when you actually cite an authority other than yourself.

#53 | Posted by Gal_Tuesday at 2017-08-11 07:44 PM | Reply