Tuesday, August 08, 2017

ake Yanoviak is hunting for houses. On a weekday afternoon in North Philadelphia, the 23-year-old painter cruises along on his bike, its black paint obscured under stickers from breweries and rock bands. He turns onto a side street, where he spots a few elderly neighbors, standing on adjoining porches. He parks, leans on one handlebar and makes his pitch.

"Anybody on the block considering selling?" Yanoviak asks gently. "I'm not a developer, I'm not interested in renting to students. I'm just a kid trying to buy a house, fix it up and live in it."

"We're not going no place," replies a 70-something woman, relaxing in fuzzy white pig slippers in the row house where she's lived twice as long as Yanoviak has been alive. "All these houses are taken."

Comments

Just watch the obituaries, they'll be some available soon.

#1 | Posted by kudzu at 2017-08-08 10:20 AM | Reply | Funny: 1 | Newsworthy 3

Welcome to the America that multinational corporations built.

New homes aren't being built because there are not many who can afford them with the ---- wages corporate america wants to pay.

#2 | Posted by 726 at 2017-08-08 10:51 AM | Reply

@#1 ... Just watch the obituaries, they'll be some available soon. ...

That has been occurring already, but it has not been enough to satisfy the demand.

From the cited article:

..."The system is gridlocked," says Dowell Myers, a professor of urban planning and demography at the University of Southern California. "The seniors aren't turning over homes as fast as they used to, so there are very few existing homes coming online. To turn it over, they'll have to have a landing place."...

#3 | Posted by LampLighter at 2017-08-08 11:10 AM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

Restrictions to limit and control growth are also a factor. Our betters believe we should live in high-rise tenements or other mutli-family dwelling close to public transportation, as long as it's not near them.

#4 | Posted by visitor_ at 2017-08-08 11:15 AM | Reply | Funny: 1 | Newsworthy 1

Plus,

If the senior has a kid, the kid would probably live in it rent free once it's passed down.

That's how they do in the rural/country. Generations living in the same home. My mom is living in a house on 30 acres my grandfather built with his bare hands. When she passes it will come to me. It's too small for Mrs. Boaz, but I would live in it rent free if I could.

Like China or any other third world country. I remember passing the high rises in South Korea. I remember thinking, "Wow, it must suck to live there".

One day, it's only going to be the rich that live in single family houses. Everyone else is going to be stacked on top of one another..

#5 | Posted by boaz at 2017-08-08 11:59 AM | Reply | Funny: 2 | Newsworthy 2

#2 | Posted by 726

I don't disagree but rent is higher than owning in many places. When we bought our house 6 years ago the payments were a wash and we have a lot nicer setting. It's also nice we have had almost a 50% bump in the value of our house...

The problem and this is the REAL problem with building new homes. The homes they are building are "extravagant" in comparison to the wages in many areas. Nobody NEEDS a 2500+ square foot home. It's nice to have but you don't actually need it. Build nice, well built but simple homes without the extravagances found in all the new homes I look at. There is a market. I look at the tracks of simple small homes in suburbia with not much yard that people pay fortunes for.

#6 | Posted by GalaxiePete at 2017-08-08 08:27 PM | Reply

I for one am tired of these selfish people who think I should sell my home to satisfy their want.

I live in a home. Not a house.

Go away...

#7 | Posted by Prolix247 at 2017-08-08 10:26 PM | Reply | Funny: 1

It's not that there aren't houses available...it's the fact that he doesn't have the money to buy one in the location he wants. The dude's a painter. Move to Arkansas or Alabama and you'll find no shortage of houses for sale at a low cost.

#8 | Posted by madbomber at 2017-08-09 02:02 AM | Reply

Since when are people questioned for not selling their homes? It's nobody's business why these Baby Boomers or anybody else isn't putting a house up for sale. If somebody walked up and asked my mother that question I'd be pissed.

#9 | Posted by rcade at 2017-08-09 09:43 AM | Reply

The article seems to express a negative about boomers because they want to stay in the homes they own but doesn't seem to express any negativity about the pastor who claims God promised him the entire block. I just found that particular part of the article as extremely funny and sort of sad at the same time.

#10 | Posted by danni at 2017-08-09 12:08 PM | Reply

I get letters left at my door weekly with developers asking to buy for their clients, newlyweds who just love our house and neighborhood. Realtors knocking on the weekends, all willing to pay cash site unseen because they want the land.

All foreigners or New Yorkers.

It drives me nuts.

#11 | Posted by Prolix247 at 2017-08-09 03:28 PM | Reply

"All foreigners or New Yorkers."

That sounds like a fun game, guess if the person approaching to buy your house is foreigner or New Yorker.

It can be Know-Nothing America's version of a game Cosmopolitans play when they travel across the Atlantic, called "Gay... or Eurotrash?"

#12 | Posted by snoofy at 2017-08-09 03:43 PM | Reply

Snoofy - I've never heard of that game but you seem to know about it?

I do know who is at my front door though.

Cosmo Snoofy? Has a ring to it...

#13 | Posted by Prolix247 at 2017-08-09 09:35 PM | Reply

Well, let's see. What possible motivation could exist for a Baby Booomer--in retirement or getting close to it--to not want to sell his home. Hmmmm. That's a toughie.

Just a wild-assed guess that probably wrong. But do you suppose it might be that the home is paid off? And that to sell means that the BBer will be paying rent for the rest of his life, which might be 5 years, or might be 35 years? And so they're nervous about how long the future will be, and so not willing to take a gamble by selling a home they're comfortable in?

The guy is a painter. He probably knows some carpenters and maybe someone who can put electricity in. Move to the suburbs, buy a raw piece of land, and build a new place. And in 30 years from now when some punk comes by to stuff a sales offer in his mailbox, he can tell that guy to piss off.

#14 | Posted by WhiteDevil at 2017-08-09 10:53 PM | Reply

"It drives me nuts."

No, it just makes you realize, momentarily, that you are nuts.

#15 | Posted by danni at 2017-08-10 10:35 AM | Reply

Alabama and you'll find no shortage of houses for sale at a low cost.

#8 | POSTED BY MADBOMBER

not in my area. but of course, we have some of the best employment numbers in the country. You must be a real goomba to think alabama and arkansas are the same thing.

#16 | Posted by kudzu at 2017-08-10 03:23 PM | Reply