Monday, August 07, 2017

What's it like to watch a country implode? To see a democracy destroyed and an economy crater? Since 2014, American journalist Hannah Dreier has documented just that in Venezuela, once one of the world's wealthiest nations and still home to what are believed to be the planet's largest oil reserves. ... "People think of Venezuela as a struggling third world country, and I think it gets dismissed sometimes as a country that's always been poor and always had problems. But the truth is, it was one of the richest countries in the world in the '70s, and it was wealthy for a long time. ... [T]here is just no reason for this level of misery to ever come to Venezuela. It was a country that was making it."

Alternate links: Google News | Twitter

Dreier: People keep saying things to me, like, "Oh, it's the beginning of the end in Venezuela," or, "Wow, we're going to see a change in Venezuela soon." People seem to think that it can't go on like this because it's just so awful it can't possibly go on. And my experience down there has, if it's taught me one thing, it's taught me things can always get worse, and worse, and worse, and there's no rule that says that a miserable situation has to end, just because it's too miserable.

Comments

We won't know here in the USA since we are, and have always been, a republic.

Anyway, snarkiness aside, Venezuela is failing because they have a single-product economy. It is a failure of management, not a failure of philosophy.

#1 | Posted by IndianaJones at 2017-08-07 05:32 PM | Reply

Maybe they should start selling drugs like the cool South American countries.

#2 | Posted by Sycophant at 2017-08-07 05:47 PM | Reply | Funny: 2

It is a failure of management, not a failure of philosophy.

When the management's philosophy is to hold onto power at all costs, make their cronies rich and kill anyone protesting, I think its a failure of both.

Of course, Glover, Penn, Moore, Stone, Stiglitz and Chomsky may come along any second now and explain how I am wrong...

#3 | Posted by Rightocenter at 2017-08-07 05:59 PM | Reply

Bernie Sanders is safe in an undisclosed location and unavailable for comment.

#4 | Posted by nullifidian at 2017-08-07 06:04 PM | Reply

e won't know here in the USA since we are, and have always been, a republic.

#1 | POSTED BY INDIANAJONES AT 2017-08-07 05:32 PM | FLAG:

Not a failure of philosophy are you kidding me? Whenever a leftest gets complete power over any country this is always the result. Stalin and his purges, How many people died in China when Communism started there? Pol Pot and the killing fields need I go on

#5 | Posted by WTFIGO at 2017-08-07 06:47 PM | Reply | Funny: 2 | Newsworthy 1

"Whenever anyone gets complete power over any country this is always the result."

Fixed your statement for you. "Complete control" inevitably corrupts, be it by a liberal or a conservative, a libertarian, or a green party member, or what have you. This is hardly something unique to the left.

#6 | Posted by MarcNBarrett at 2017-08-07 07:40 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 2

A "single product economy" always struck me as strange.
With 2,800 km of coastline you would think someone knew how to fish.

Kinda like Somalia.

At least they could feed themselves.

#7 | Posted by HanoverFist at 2017-08-08 08:47 AM | Reply

Uh oh...how are Liberals going to handle having to be supporters of Venezuela now? Trump imposed the harshest restriction possible, which means you have to now oppose that so you don't want any negative imposed on Venezuela. I'd on the edge of my seat waiting to see how you logically (or illogically, as is usually the case) explain your opposition to this now...

#8 | Posted by humtake at 2017-08-08 12:16 PM | Reply

Newsflash: If someone or a group has power over the rest of a nation it isn't communism.

It is despotism

#9 | Posted by hatter5183 at 2017-08-08 01:43 PM | Reply

#5 | POSTED BY WTFIGO
"need I go on"

If you would be so kind, yes. I worry you may have missed something.

#10 | Posted by TheTom at 2017-08-08 05:24 PM | Reply