Monday, July 17, 2017

[Warning: This link contains spoilers.] Jeremy Egner, New York Times: If you have designs on a dynasty, the first thing you have to do is get yourself a sweet map. That was one lesson from the Season 7 premiere of Game of Thrones, as the story's two most powerful queens plotted on opposite sides of Blackwater Bay. But there were others: Shared leadership is best shared out of public view. Be decent to people, lest you later find their skeletons in your closet. The pursuit of knowledge can be a filthy business. ... "It's ours now, we just have to take it," Cersei told Jaime, walking over a freshly painted survey of the empire she plans to keep in the family for a millennium.

Alternate links: Google News | Twitter

After Cersei declined Euron's offer, he promised a "priceless gift," saying he won't return to King's Landing until he has it. Any guesses what it might be?

My first thought was Tyrion, Euron's gift pledge coming, as it did, right after talk of traitorous relatives and the joy of murdering your own brother.

"Tell them winter came for House Frey," Arya instructed one of the women she spared. It's a first-rate catchphrase for a ruthless assassin, but it doesn't make me feel any better about her soul.

Arya originally planned to go to Winterfell, but apparently changed her mind once she heard her kill-list target is in charge in King's Landing. I'm going to kill the queen, she told Ed Sheeran and his soldier friends.

Comments

Meh.

#1 | Posted by e1g1 at 2017-07-17 03:00 AM | Reply

Any guesses what it might be?

Tyrion?

#2 | Posted by REDIAL at 2017-07-17 07:25 AM | Reply

A dragon

#3 | Posted by truthhurts at 2017-07-17 07:39 AM | Reply

Great opening, followed lot's of set-up.
Sam's bits were great.
Jorah sure does get around.
Sansa really ought to have known better.
Dany at Dragonstone was almost...touching.

#4 | Posted by TheTom at 2017-07-17 07:57 AM | Reply

Beyond the books now. I wonder how much input Martin has in the plot lines.

#5 | Posted by sawdust at 2017-07-17 08:51 AM | Reply

The gift is, surprisingly, a Chia Pet!

#6 | Posted by RevDarko at 2017-07-17 08:54 AM | Reply

Is it anything like the Bad Lip Reading one? If so, I'll totally watch it.

www.youtube.com

#7 | Posted by Pirate at 2017-07-17 09:31 AM | Reply

I think I'm one of the 11 people in the world that have not seen even a single episode of the show. Mainly because I'm unwilling to add HBO to my Netflix.

#8 | Posted by Reagan58 at 2017-07-17 09:36 AM | Reply

me too.

#9 | Posted by eberly at 2017-07-17 10:16 AM | Reply

Beyond the books now. I wonder how much input Martin has in the plot lines.

#5 | Posted by sawdust

He has the outline complete and most of the book last I knew (about a year ago). He worked with them on how it was ending and had a lot of input.

#10 | Posted by GalaxiePete at 2017-07-17 10:19 AM | Reply

""I think I'm one of the 11 people in the world that have not seen even a single episode of the show"

me too."

I recently watched the first episode just to see what kind of junk people are watching these days. Won't watch another one.

#11 | Posted by nullifidian at 2017-07-17 10:32 AM | Reply | Funny: 1

george r.r. martin = taco bell/mcdonalds/dollar general....DREK, but lots and lots of money

#12 | Posted by ABlock at 2017-07-17 10:42 AM | Reply

I love it when the "Stop liking what I don't like" brigade shows up.

#13 | Posted by Ben_Berkkake at 2017-07-17 10:45 AM | Reply | Newsworthy 3

I figured I would binge watch it (if I like it) sometime.

#14 | Posted by eberly at 2017-07-17 11:19 AM | Reply

So now Arya has gone all Mission Impossible. A little big hokey. But it was satisfying watching all the Frey's die at once. And Sansa has evolved into a badass.

#15 | Posted by moder8 at 2017-07-17 11:24 AM | Reply

#8 | Posted by Reagan58
#9 | Posted by eberly

I don't think you would enjoy them so you are missing nothing... (just kidding)

It takes some imagination to enjoy and honestly in some ways one of the most "realistic" fantasy series out there. Realistic in that the characters are like real people with all their flaws and strengths. Also realistic in that the good guys don't always win and every character is fair game for a sudden end...

#16 | Posted by GalaxiePete at 2017-07-17 11:25 AM | Reply

#15 | Posted by moder8

That Arya evolution was happening for a few seasons with the training... I am in agreement is a touch hockey though. I have my theory on her end - we will see.

The Frey's were portrayed as back woods tools - Banjo playing comes to mind - so a fitting end. It'll be interesting to see what happens to Edmure Tully.

#17 | Posted by GalaxiePete at 2017-07-17 11:39 AM | Reply

"Any guesses what it might be?"

It will be a horn used to control Daenerys' dragons. Sorry for the spoiler.

#18 | Posted by pumpkinhead at 2017-07-17 12:15 PM | Reply

Watching the show and reading the books I've concluded that the show will have a relatively happy ending but the books will have a darker, less happy ending. HBO likes crowd pleasers. George Martin is fascinated by the dark side of humanity.

#19 | Posted by moder8 at 2017-07-17 01:41 PM | Reply

- a relatively happy ending

Arya settles down as a happy domestic wife to Gendry, John marries his not sister but cousin Sansa, Dany and the Dwarf have a top ten pop song, Tormund saves Brienne in battle and gets one hot night in the tent.

Spoiler Ahead!

Punkin'head loses his virginity to Gregor Clegane (aka The Mountain)after dumping that Spoiler on us with no Warning, a Spoiler releases by an actor before the season.

#20 | Posted by Corky at 2017-07-17 02:04 PM | Reply | Funny: 1

Ooh! something shiny to distract us from the horrors of living in Trumpistan

#21 | Posted by hatter5183 at 2017-07-17 05:47 PM | Reply

In Westeros, Trump would have had his head chopped off by now.

#22 | Posted by Corky at 2017-07-17 05:59 PM | Reply

This is ridiculous! As usual, the Lannisters liberals, the Targaryens more liberals, and the Starks yet more liberals just want to sit around and talk and make deals while the real threat, The Night's King Saldin and the White Walkers Muslims are massing on the borders!

Bad enough the last administration's refugee program let in the Free Folk terrorists and now we have Wildlings terrorists manning the Wall.

Thanks, Jon Snow Obama! We're doomed... doomed I say! Well you liberals are... I will fight to the end of time!

Ser Boaz
Prepperhavenn

#23 | Posted by REDIAL at 2017-07-17 06:55 PM | Reply | Funny: 6

Dany at Dragonstone was almost...touching.

#4 | POSTED BY THETOM

I thought that that part fell flat.

Her acting was a little too "I'm stoic" and didn't show what should have, IMO, been thinly veiled emotion at obtaining what she once thought unobtainable.

I dunno, it was just flat and unbelievable to me.

#24 | Posted by jpw at 2017-07-17 11:52 PM | Reply

#11 | POSTED BY NULLIFIDIAN

So what are the edgy, smarter-than-thou into these days?

#25 | Posted by jpw at 2017-07-17 11:54 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

A little to me, mainly I think because that's the way we saw her in the last scenes from season 6 on board the ship... staring off into the distance. Don't know why they keep her with that expression now.

But overall from production to story to action this is some of the best tv ever.... not that that's saying a lot.

#26 | Posted by Corky at 2017-07-17 11:56 PM | Reply

And Sansa has evolved into a badass.

#15 | POSTED BY MODER8

LOL I can't wait to watch her either a. become the night queen or b. get eaten by Drogon.

I can't stand her character.

#27 | Posted by jpw at 2017-07-17 11:57 PM | Reply

What have you got? Nulli's a rebel without a pause.

#28 | Posted by Corky at 2017-07-17 11:58 PM | Reply

Andrea is a trust fund rebel with menopause.

#29 | Posted by Corky at 2017-07-18 12:00 AM | Reply

#26 | POSTED BY CORKY

HBO produces some quality series, but I've mostly only watched the mini-series (Band of Brothers, From the Earth to the Moon and others)

GoT is definitely up there overall, so much so I want to watch more of what HBO has to offer.

#30 | Posted by jpw at 2017-07-18 12:01 AM | Reply

-I can't stand her character.

I told my daughter a couple of years ago that she looked like Sansa, (the girl who plays Sansa, Sophie Tucker) which she does.... and she went off about how she couldn't stand Sansa letting people push her around and she wasn't anything like Sansa (she isn't} and I had to 'splain I meant she looked like the actress, not that she was like Sansa. Still not sure she accepted that, lol.

Reading the books, Arya and Breinne were great characters.

#31 | Posted by Corky at 2017-07-18 12:10 AM | Reply

Sansa is awesome. In a sense, she is the spiritual daughter and heir to Cersei. A youth filled with naïve hope and expectations. All of which comes crashing down through horrid experience. And what is left is cold, merciless understanding of the way things work. The arc of Sansa's story is perhaps the most extreme of any character in the saga. Just think about who she was in Season 1 and what she has now evolved with. She's the quasi-Walter White of the fantasy world.

#32 | Posted by moder8 at 2017-07-18 11:39 AM | Reply

Will somebody please get into an argument with me about Sansa. Everybody hates her character but me.

#33 | Posted by moder8 at 2017-07-18 12:36 PM | Reply

Sorry, I appreciate her character as it as grown more complex... though maybe not the most extreme change considering Arya. What happens next with Littlefinger as she tries to hold onto his army of the Vail will be telling.

When Martin writes this, it could be pretty scary, but maybe the show will let her overcome.

She's really that only Stark with much sense; her father, brother, and cousin John Snow show very little aptitude for winning on their own.

#34 | Posted by Corky at 2017-07-18 12:42 PM | Reply

Actually, I kind of think Arya has been on a straight trajectory from the very first episode of Season 1 when she knowingly states her fate will not be to be some lord's wife and give birth to a bunch of other little lordlings.

I wonder whether Arya has already sacrificed her soul in pursuit of her vengeance. Can she ever live a happy life? How does someone who has dedicated their existence to learning how to kill and take revenge learn to live after the battles are over? How does someone return to 'peace time society' when all they have known and wanted to know is violence? Yes, it is satisfying seeing her kill bad guys. Now I'd like to see her learn to display a little of the famous Stark mercy and forgiveness.

Sansa has always had a soul. Yes it was naïve and childlike. But it was also good and it was real, and until pummeled at King's Landing by the Lannisters, it was even pure. Now she is a killer. Though he richly deserved it, the death of Roose Bolton at her hands was as vicious and cold blooded as anything any 'bad guy' has done over the course of the entire show. Now she publicly argues in favor of tossing the Umber and Karstark children out into the wilderness, presumably to die. Now she makes cold cynical calculations about how best to use Littlefinger to her own advantage, - even knowing what a traitorous evil man he is.

My prediction, based on nothing but speculation, she ends up as Queen of the North. And we are left with the uncertain feeling that maybe that will not be a good thing for her perceived enemies.

#35 | Posted by moder8 at 2017-07-18 01:58 PM | Reply

- she ends up as Queen of the North.

I wouldn't be surprised. Maybe with her cousin, not her brother, John Snow still as King.... or not.

#36 | Posted by Corky at 2017-07-18 02:04 PM | Reply

Sitz's Predictions:

Jon & Dany are going to have sex within an episode or two of meeting each other. We've come too far for this to not happen.

One of the dragons is definitely due to become a zombie. The Night King will ride it for the final Boss Fight of the series.

Arya is going to kill Littlefinger, it's going to be painful. It may involve a stupid looking Terminator foot chase scene. She's going to say an awesome 1 liner before or after.

Jamie is going to kill Cersei, but it'll be in the second half of the last season.

Samwell ends up the Lord of Horn Hill.

Most of The Brotherhood won't survive the next 6 episodes.

The good guys eventually win, but then the Iron Bank funds the next generation of rebellion that kills off the remaining good guys.

#37 | Posted by sitzkrieg at 2017-07-18 03:33 PM | Reply

Also, by boning his aunt, Jon will gain the power to ride one of the dragons.

#38 | Posted by sitzkrieg at 2017-07-18 03:36 PM | Reply | Funny: 1

Pretty good.

The Hound could become the next Red Priest.

Gendry returns as the Baratheon successor, marries Arya.

Cleganebowl: Bro vs Bro Battle.

Sam may find a cure for Jorah's Greyscale.

#39 | Posted by Corky at 2017-07-18 03:43 PM | Reply

"According to the prophecy recounted by Melisandre, after a long summer, Azor Ahai will be reborn amidst smoke and salt wielding the flaming sword Lightbringer to defend the world from R'hllor's nemesis, the Other."

Sandor Clegane?

#40 | Posted by Corky at 2017-07-18 03:51 PM | Reply

#8 | Posted by Reagan58 at 2017-07-17 09:36 AM

You can get the first six seasons at your Public Library. Won't cost you a nickel.

#41 | Posted by morris at 2017-07-18 04:27 PM | Reply

Reagan,
I haven't seen any yet either.

I binged some Dexter, binged some Weeds. Watched Sopranos when it was on. Watched Curb when it was on. Then haven't watched any hbo or showtime since. I don't do Netflix or watch shows on the iPads.
Was a freak for Lost on ABC.

I do like jugs though, so I may have to check this Thrones thing out.

#42 | Posted by 101Chairborne at 2017-07-18 04:34 PM | Reply

I do like jugs though, so I may have to check this Thrones thing out.
#42 | POSTED BY 101CHAIRBORNE

You'd be doing yourself a favor by watching Boardwalk Empire.

That one tops them all, IMO.

#43 | Posted by rstybeach11 at 2017-07-18 05:00 PM | Reply

The Wire is the best HBO series of all time. it's probably the best TV series of all time.

#44 | Posted by sitzkrieg at 2017-07-18 08:09 PM | Reply

#44 | POSTED BY SITZKRIEG

Won't argue with you on that one. The entire first season was assigned to my Criminal Theory class in graduate school because of its adherence to legitimate investigative methods and circumstances. Was described to us as the closest to reality you'll get on TV when it comes to criminal justice related material.

#45 | Posted by rstybeach11 at 2017-07-18 08:16 PM | Reply

I thought Circe's death was a bit too brutal. There are certain body parts we don't want to associate with death.
And killed by just some random nameless Dothraki? Please. We true fans deserved better.

#46 | Posted by TheTom at 2017-07-18 11:08 PM | Reply