Sunday, July 16, 2017

Legendary filmmaker George A. Romero, father of the modern movie zombie and creator of the groundbreaking Night of the Living Dead franchise, has died at 77, his family said. Romero died Sunday in his sleep following a "brief but aggressive battle with lung cancer," according to his longtime producing partner, Peter Grunwald. Romero died while listening to the score of one his favorite films, 1952's The Quiet Man, with his wife, Suzanne Desrocher Romero, and daughter, Tina Romero, at his side, the family said.

Alternate links: Google News | Twitter

Romero jump-started the zombie genre as the co-writer (with John A. Russo) and director of the 1968 movie Night of the Living Dead, which went to show future generations of filmmakers such as Tobe Hooper and John Carpenter that generating big scares didn't require big budgets. Living Dead spawned an entire school of zombie knockoffs, and Romero's sequels included 1978's Dawn of the Dead, 1985's Day of the Dead, 1990's Land of the Dead, 2007's Diary of the Dead and 2009's George A. Romero's Survival of the Dead.

Comments

Are we sure he's dead? Probably should shoot him in the head to be safe.

#1 | Posted by truthhurts at 2017-07-16 07:33 PM | Reply | Funny: 2

No longer living, only dead.

#2 | Posted by TFDNihilist at 2017-07-16 07:52 PM | Reply

No longer living, only dead.

#2 | Posted by TFDNihilist at 2017-07-16 07:52 PM | Reply | Flag:

Are we really dead when we part this mortal coil or are we transported to a new and different state of awakening???

#3 | Posted by LauraMohr at 2017-07-16 07:57 PM | Reply

I met George about 10 years ago and was working with him to come on my old radio programme, but we were never able to get our schedules to sync properly. Beyond being an amazing film maker, he was an incredibly fun and funny man to talk to. The last few years, our email correspondence became more sparse, as we were both rather busy, but we had kept in contact, even after The Dark Side went off the air.

He was an amazing man to have known and I will miss him.

#4 | Posted by RevDarko at 2017-07-16 08:24 PM | Reply

#3 | POSTED BY LAURAMOHR

No, we're dead. Lights out, worm food.

#5 | Posted by TFDNihilist at 2017-07-16 08:34 PM | Reply

No, we're dead. Lights out, worm food.

Posted by TFDNihilist at 2017-07-16 08:34 PM | Reply

You're speculating like I am. There's no concrete proof either way.

#6 | Posted by LauraMohr at 2017-07-16 08:40 PM | Reply

Iirc Romero was just barely Christian.

I hope to see him some day beyond the stars.

#7 | Posted by Tor at 2017-07-16 10:22 PM | Reply

"You're speculating like I am. There's no concrete proof either way."

Sorry, Laura, but this is an incorrect statement. There IS concrete evidence in one direction.

We know, from the evidence, that, upon death, our bodies are immobile, there is no brain activity, we are often buried, eventually, our bodies succumb to decomposition, which often includes being eaten by worms.

There is no evidence at all of a soul or spirit, and therefore, such a concept is immeasurable. Of the soul (and, by extension, an afterlife) there is no evidence.

Using the philosophy of Occam's razor, the simplest explanation is the best, and, most often, the correct one, we can conclude that the descriptions of death based on the known evidence is most likely the correct one, as the one including a soul and afterlife STILL requires the the evidence-based events to occur, but ALSO requires additional pieces which are not in evidence and are also unnecessary for the functions of death.

#8 | Posted by RevDarko at 2017-07-17 07:28 AM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

There IS concrete evidence in one direction.

Posted by RevDarko at 2017-07-17 07:28 AM | Reply

Prove we have no spirit no soul. Man has of yet proven or disproven that because we just don't know. I can appreciate the fact that you don't believe but to say there is concrete proof we have no spirit no soul is speculation upon your part as well.

#9 | Posted by LauraMohr at 2017-07-17 07:34 AM | Reply

Prove we have no spirit no soul.
#9 | POSTED BY LAURAMOHR

It is impossible to prove a negative.

#10 | Posted by TFDNihilist at 2017-07-17 08:08 AM | Reply

Thanks, Rev.. Very well said.

#11 | Posted by TFDNihilist at 2017-07-17 08:10 AM | Reply

Laura,

I don't need to disprove the existence of a spirit. I didn't make the assertion there was one, and a spirit is not necessary for the process of death. Because of that, unless concrete scientific evidence of a spirit is found, their logical default position MUST be that no such thing exists.

#12 | Posted by RevDarko at 2017-07-17 08:38 AM | Reply

Rev, I understand what you are saying. I was a skeptic.

I have said this before. I understand that the people who have had near death experiences have been categorized as maybe just synapses firing. And I understand the lack of hard evidence of a soul or "other" existence after death BUT I have had at least one experience that has left me feeling very certain that there is something after. I have no doubts. If it had not happened to me I would never have believed it. It was the death of someone else and not a near death for me. It was the most incredible experience of my life.

#13 | Posted by GalaxiePete at 2017-07-17 12:27 PM | Reply

I've seen the other side.

#14 | Posted by Tor at 2017-07-17 03:10 PM | Reply