Wednesday, July 12, 2017

A Canadian lobster fisherman who saved dozens of endangered whales after they became tangled in fishing nets has been killed -- moments after a last successful rescue. Joe Howlett, from Campobello Island, New Brunswick, boarded a vessel off the province's eastern coast on Monday to help rescue a north Atlantic right whale that had become heavily tangled in rope. ... Howlett helped free the whale -- only to be struck by the mammal moments later, said Mackie Green of the Campobello Whale Rescue Team. "They got the whale totally disentangled and then some kind of freak thing happened and the whale made a big flip," Green, who was not onboard the vessel, told the Canadian Press.

Alternate links: Google News | Twitter

Howlett's death comes amid the unprecedented loss of seven north Atlantic right whales in the past month. A team included marine biologists, federal scientists and pathologists, among others, have been racing to figure out why the whales -- which live along the eastern seaboard of Canada and the US and can reach up to 50 feet in length -- are dying in large numbers.

Comments

Thanks for freeing me, I'm going to jump to celebrate...opps sorry..

#1 | Posted by boaz at 2017-07-12 03:31 PM | Reply

It's to be expected whenever you get involved in such a rescue attempt. There is great danger getting close to any whale tangled in netting.

BTW there is a fantastic video of a whale being saved from netting in the sea of Cortez. Once free the whale put on an display of gratitude jumping repeatedly in a show of happiness. Hundreds of breaches.

#2 | Posted by DavetheWave at 2017-07-12 08:07 PM | Reply

That's really a terribly sad end for such a good man.

#3 | Posted by danni at 2017-07-13 07:59 AM | Reply

I was on a 5 lane 50 mph road today when 2 ducks walked slowly across the road. Thankfully nobody was around and I could avoid them.
Immediately I thought "what in the hell would I have done if it was crowded like it usually is?" Stopping could cause a pile up, swerving is a non starter, and running them over doesn't seem appropriate.

Hitting them seems to be the safest option.

Now if they were Canadian geese I would have hit them.

#4 | Posted by 101Chairborne at 2017-07-13 11:21 AM | Reply

I rescued a fat girl from a lesbian bar a few years back. We had a great 4th of July weekend and then said our goodbyes. I met her again last April and she had lost 100 pounds and was back in college and she thanked me for the fun we had, which actually helped her self-esteem and persuaded her to get herself in shape. She could have gone full-lesbo but I saved her and now she is a productive member of mainstream society. My only worry is that she'll meet some idiot who will fool her into marrying him and then make her fat and miserable again.

Will this get me into heaven? Probably not-- but it sure won't keep me out of the next lesbian bar I encounter...

#5 | Posted by pumpkinhead at 2017-07-13 11:22 AM | Reply | Funny: 2

"Hitting them seems to be the safest option." --There's a school near my house and I face the same dilemma every day

#6 | Posted by visitor_ at 2017-07-13 01:51 PM | Reply

Tragic...

#7 | Posted by BruceBanner at 2017-07-13 09:24 PM | Reply

My brother was down here the other day on a work related trip and was driving a new Toyota he rented. He was really impressed with all the safety features so I asked him if it had the automatic braking? He said he didn't know so I told him to try to run down a pedestrian and see if the car prevented it. He got the joke but I did deliver it pretty well so we got a good laugh.

#8 | Posted by danni at 2017-07-13 10:05 PM | Reply