Wednesday, July 12, 2017

Who was the first president to brew beer on White House grounds? The tempting answer is a Founding Father or president from the pre-Prohibition era, but home brewers didn't practice their craft at the White House until 2011. Barack Obama was the first president to host a White House brewing session, and Sam Kass, Obama's former senior adviser for nutrition policy, was instrumental in making that happen.

Comments

The beer didn't have an official "born-on" date, either.

#1 | Posted by cookfish at 2017-07-12 02:16 PM | Reply | Funny: 2

Oh my God! Impeach him.

#2 | Posted by TedBaxter at 2017-07-12 02:20 PM | Reply

The beer didn't have an official "born-on" date, either.

#1 | POSTED BY COOKFISH AT 2017-07-12 02:16 PM | REPLY

Probably did. I track my kegs on a chalkboard, but label the bottles with name/style/date/abv/ibu.

#3 | Posted by sitzkrieg at 2017-07-12 02:36 PM | Reply

and that's a reasonably common practice in homebrewing afaik.

#4 | Posted by sitzkrieg at 2017-07-12 02:37 PM | Reply

#1 Well, he SAID it was brewed at the White House, but Alex Jones has it on good authority that he actually imported Kenyan beer and passed it off as homebrew.

#5 | Posted by MUSTANG at 2017-07-12 02:50 PM | Reply

There's some decent stouts that come out of Keyna, they just tend to slap "Imperial" and "Double" in front of every style even when it doesn't fit.

Could be worse, could be early American beer. That stuff was garbage.

#6 | Posted by sitzkrieg at 2017-07-12 02:56 PM | Reply

Obama first president to brew beer at the White House.

Republicans across the nation denounce beer.

Announcing they prefer drinking Vodka.

#7 | Posted by ClownShack at 2017-07-12 02:56 PM | Reply | Funny: 3

and that's a reasonably common practice in homebrewing afaik.

It's just the style and name on the bottles for me.

The rest of the info is in my notebook of brewing notes for reference.

#8 | Posted by jpw at 2017-07-12 09:53 PM | Reply

Apparently Trump beer tastes like piss.

#9 | Posted by bored at 2017-07-12 10:48 PM | Reply

Yes, but it's Golden Piss.

#10 | Posted by Corky at 2017-07-12 11:07 PM | Reply

Apparently Trump beer tastes like piss.

#9 | POSTED BY BORED

Yes, but it's Golden Piss.

#10 | POSTED BY CORKY

So Coor's Banquet beer?

Thin, nasty garbage that only plays at what it claims to be while attaching a big bold name and a golden facade to itself.

Sounds like Trump all the way.

#11 | Posted by jpw at 2017-07-12 11:10 PM | Reply

I'm a terrible excuse for a beer drinker, it all tastes like Coors to me. I'm hoping to try one of the crafts that you guys talk about to see if I like it. I learned not to accept a beer at parties early on because the host would always find mine sitting full, flat, and warm after and be really pissed.

#12 | Posted by Corky at 2017-07-12 11:15 PM | Reply

#12 it all tastes like Coors to me

Dear GOD, man...you need to spend some time with some of the more refined palates. If you want to entirely divorce yourself from beers that taste like Coors, go to a decent liquor store and ask for a nice Trappist. They're not cheap, but your taste buds will do a dance of joy to be rescued from typical American pilsners (Coors, Bud). I say start at the top of the beer pyramid: buy a Westvleteran. Just one bottle will do. You enjoy a fine beer the way you enjoy a fine brandy. If they don't have Westvleteran, try a Chimay or Orval. There's even one brewed in the US called Spencer, but I haven't tried it yet.

#13 | Posted by MUSTANG at 2017-07-13 09:26 AM | Reply

The rest of the info is in my notebook of brewing notes for reference.

#8 | POSTED BY JPW AT 2017-07-12 09:53 PM | FLAG:

I use Avery sticky labels and a pre-made excel sheet. I just wish they made them on waterproof paper. It'd be more expensive but worth it to me.

#14 | Posted by sitzkrieg at 2017-07-13 10:28 AM | Reply

#12 | POSTED BY CORKY AT 2017-07-12 11:15 PM | FLAG:

Go hipster, try a "milkshake IPA". I guarantee it will not taste anything remotely like Coors.

#15 | Posted by sitzkrieg at 2017-07-13 10:29 AM | Reply

Alex Jones has it on good authority

The only thing good about Alex Jones is that he does occasionally close his mouth.

#16 | Posted by 726 at 2017-07-13 11:09 AM | Reply

#13 anything from Ommegang.

For a Belgian style go straight for the delicious Three Philosophers. Hennepin is also very tasty.

Any of the Game of Thrones beers? Snag them if you see them.

#17 | Posted by jpw at 2017-07-14 12:19 AM | Reply

#14 mine is a small piece of white tape lol. That and an abbreviation of the style on the caps to make grabbing one easier.

I really need to move to kegging, though, as bottling is definitely a pain in the ass.

#18 | Posted by jpw at 2017-07-14 12:21 AM | Reply

Corky, have you tried Coors Light?

#19 | Posted by snoofy at 2017-07-14 12:23 AM | Reply

#17 my son bought me a Game of Thrones beer about a year ago, it's been sitting in the cupboard. Is it still safe to drink?

#20 | Posted by bruceaz at 2017-07-14 12:31 AM | Reply

#12 | Posted by Corky at 2017-07-12 11:15 PM | Reply

You might try a visit to your local brewpub and see if the offer "flights" of what they have on tap. A round of small servings of several different brews. You get a chance to sample a variety and less gets wasted. Less expensive, too.

#21 | Posted by morris at 2017-07-14 06:58 AM | Reply

"I am the superior IPA.." the draft said triumphantly to the bottle, completely unaware that they both taste like pine cones that have been soaked in cough syrup.

#22 | Posted by MrSilenceDogood at 2017-07-14 09:03 AM | Reply