Tuesday, July 11, 2017

Hoping to get a good tip? Seek out the table with the most conservative men from New England. A new survey finds men, Republicans, and residents of the northeast are the best tippers. Women tip a median of 16 percent, while Democrats and southerners leave a median 15 percent at a restaurant, according to a new survey of more than 1,000 American adults conducted by Princeton Survey Research Associates International on behalf of CreditCards.com. That's compared with the median 20 percent that men, Republicans, and northeasterners leave. Those who pay with plastic leave a median 20 percent, compared with 15 percent for those who pay in cash. Though roughly half of people tip between 16 percent and 20 percent, about a fifth of restaurant goers polled admitted to stiffing the wait staff at least occasionally.

Alternate links: Google News | Twitter

There's a discriminatory nature to tipping, advocates of alternative payment options argue. "The typical full-time, year-round female server is paid just 68 percent of what her male counterpart is paid ($17,000 vs. $25,000 annually)," a February 2012 report from the Restaurant Opportunities Centers United found. "The gender pay gap is even larger for women of color. Black female servers, for example, are paid only 60 percent of what all male servers are paid."

Issues with tipping extend beyond the restaurant industry. The survey found that 31 percent of those surveyed never tip their housekeeper when staying at a hotel and 30 percent never tip their barista at a coffee shop. Hair stylists and barbers fared slightly better: Only 12 percent of those polled stiffed these workers. Women were more likely than men to tip in all three of these scenarios.

The bottom line? Tip your service workers.

Comments

No surprise to me, that Republicans are willing to pay more, and reward, high quality customer service.

#1 | Posted by GOnoles92 at 2017-07-11 11:32 AM | Reply | Funny: 4 | Newsworthy 1

Fake News! All of the republicans I know dont tip at all.

#2 | Posted by aborted_monson at 2017-07-11 12:13 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 2

Fake News! All of the republicans I know dont tip at all.

#2 | Posted by aborted_monson at 2017-07-11 12:13 PM | Reply | Flag:

Boaz

#3 | Posted by LauraMohr at 2017-07-11 12:15 PM | Reply

Progressives don't tip as well because that's still one area where they would have to use their own money. I'm sure they would tip much higher if they were able to use someone else's money.

#4 | Posted by madbomber at 2017-07-11 12:34 PM | Reply | Funny: 3

#3 | Posted by LauraMohr at 2017-07-11 12:15 PM | Reply | Flag: Racist

#5 | Posted by madbomber at 2017-07-11 12:35 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

If you go out for a meal and don't tip the waiter/waitress 15% then you are a jerk. If you can't afford that, you should not be going out to eat in the first place.

#6 | Posted by moder8 at 2017-07-11 12:37 PM | Reply | Funny: 1

I read this article the other day.

I just don't put too much weight into studies of this nature.

#7 | Posted by JeffJ at 2017-07-11 12:38 PM | Reply | Funny: 1 | Newsworthy 3

#3 | POSTED BY LAURAMOHR AT 2017-07-11 12:15 PM | FLAG:

Digging deep on the racism lol.

#8 | Posted by sitzkrieg at 2017-07-11 12:38 PM | Reply

#6 | POSTED BY MODER8

The only time a waiter/waitress gets 15% from me is if they sucked. I normally tip around 20%.

#9 | Posted by JeffJ at 2017-07-11 12:39 PM | Reply | Funny: 1

10% if the waiter sucked. 15% for being adequate. Variable from there based on how they exceeded expectations.

#10 | Posted by madbomber at 2017-07-11 12:46 PM | Reply

Boaz admits on a regular basis he is an anti-tipper. Bringing him up is appropriate, and has nothing to do with racism.
Although, blacks are notoriously poor/non-tippers.

#11 | Posted by 101Chairborne at 2017-07-11 01:05 PM | Reply | Funny: 2

#9 Likewise. I have a 20% baseline. Poor food service starts nibbling away at that number. Exceptional service earns an exceptional tip. My barber gets close to 50% most of the time. However, you making me a mocha doesn't get you 20%. Sorry, barista.

#12 | Posted by MUSTANG at 2017-07-11 01:07 PM | Reply

I tip the hair lady 100%, but she's reasonably inexpensive to begin with.
I only use the 15-20% figures for food.
If I'm at a bar and order a beer I'll throw a buck down, and not give a seconds thought to what percent it was. You got me an overpriced beer and opened it...
Pizza delivery guys...I was one, so I'm generous.

Fast food workers with a tip jar can kiss it.

#13 | Posted by 101Chairborne at 2017-07-11 01:14 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

Tipping as a percentage of income is a better measure. Of course some rich white -------- can afford to leave bigger tips.

#14 | Posted by IndianaJones at 2017-07-11 02:04 PM | Reply

"Tipping as a percentage of income is a better measure"

How much should Lebron James tip for a $12 lunch?

#15 | Posted by eberly at 2017-07-11 02:09 PM | Reply

An autograph would prolly suffice.

That's what ChairPoodle does.

#16 | Posted by Corky at 2017-07-11 02:20 PM | Reply

Come on they are pervs hoping the waitress will lean over more, that is all.

#17 | Posted by bored at 2017-07-11 03:40 PM | Reply

#1 | POSTED BY GONOLES92

And those liberal Northeasterns apparently.

#18 | Posted by Sycophant at 2017-07-11 05:31 PM | Reply

I've found that the real best tippers are people who have been servers themselves.

"How much should Lebron James tip for a $12 lunch?"

I don't know but I'll bet you he is no cheapskate.

#19 | Posted by danni at 2017-07-11 06:08 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

A correct headline would be Republicans CLAIM to tip better than Democrats. This was a survey. It was not based on data. This is just like when they claim ownership if Christianity. They can be quite pious when you talk to them but their actions sure aren't Christian.

File this under all hat and no cattle

#20 | Posted by hatter5183 at 2017-07-11 07:36 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 6

------"Tipping as a percentage of income is a better measure"
------wait service is deserving of more income if their customer happens to be wealthy?
------How much should Lebron James tip for a $12 lunch?

------#15 | POSTED BY EBERLY AT 2017-07-11 02:09 PM

Waiting on tables is almost never deserving of a tip. We tip because society tells us we should tip. I'm not stating right versus wrong, but I am stating that empirically people tend to tip more if they can afford to tip more.

How much should he tip? $0. How much does he tip? More than you, I am certain.

#21 | Posted by IndianaJones at 2017-07-11 07:57 PM | Reply

My oldest daughter works as a bartender now, but has also cooked, managed and waited tables. Basicly tips go to pay baby sitters and buy gas or some groceries. Tips are not the property of the server any more. The bus boy gets a slice, so does the greeter. One place actually pooled the tips and divided the pot at the end of the shift,(a guarantee of mediocre service). The hospitality industry is tough. Open a bar and you will find that about 90% don't last 3 years. If you are smart, you will get a job that pays better, has better hours, and doesn't treat you like a slave.

#22 | Posted by docnjo at 2017-07-11 08:47 PM | Reply

And those liberal Northeasterns apparently.

#18 | POSTED BY SYCOPHANT

But apparently not those "Liberal Californians", which is really incredible considering the income inequality here ......

#23 | Posted by AndreaMackris at 2017-07-11 10:01 PM | Reply

#24 | Posted by hatter5183 at 2017-07-12 01:03 AM | Reply

I tip based on performance, usually 15% on sit down meals. Take out gets no tip from me. Pizza deliveries usually get about 10 to 15%, but I don't order delivery, I go to the store and pick up.

Laura got mad just because I say I tip based on performance. Laura is a liberal, she believes in entitlement to tips. I don't.

#25 | Posted by boaz at 2017-07-12 07:30 AM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

Posted by boaz at 2017-07-12 07:30 AM | Reply

It's called good manners and etiquette.

#26 | Posted by LauraMohr at 2017-07-12 08:48 AM | Reply

"Take out gets no tip from me. "

Why, it is the servers who have to put your order in, just like if you were sitting at a table, then they have to box it up and get it ready for pick-up. In reality though, restaurants should have to pay servers real wages so that tipping wouldn't even be necessary, we are subsidizing the profits of the owners by allowing them to pay less than minimum wage to servers.

#27 | Posted by danni at 2017-07-12 08:59 AM | Reply

I always do a baseline tip of 12% and then add from there. I automatically add a few percentage points if I receive eye contact. I will tip up to 30%

Speaking of restaurant etiquette, I also have a penchant for buying bottles of wine for couples sitting at other tables. A few years back someone told me that I came across like a cross between Holden Caulfield and Tony Soprano. I took that as a compliment but in hindsight maybe I shouldn't have, LOL.

#28 | Posted by pumpkinhead at 2017-07-12 09:16 AM | Reply

Always tip take-out. Percentage doesn't matter that much, but usually 10-15%. Repeat service gets better and better. And faster. And more correct. It's a kindness which is appreciated and remembered.

I kinda like the Australian method, though. No tips whatsoever.

#29 | Posted by TedBaxter at 2017-07-12 09:26 AM | Reply

then they have to box it up and get it ready for pick-up.

They already get paid for that.

#30 | Posted by boaz at 2017-07-12 09:50 AM | Reply

It's called good manners and etiquette.

Good manners and etiquette are free.

My money isn't.

#31 | Posted by boaz at 2017-07-12 09:50 AM | Reply

"My money isn't."

Then please don't frequent places where tipping is part of the culture. Otherwise, you're just a deadbeat.

#32 | Posted by Danforth at 2017-07-12 09:52 AM | Reply

A guy who will always bitch and whine about poor service.

#33 | Posted by TedBaxter at 2017-07-12 10:06 AM | Reply

"Elsewhere in the world EMPLOYERS pay the employees and tips are considered insulting."

Really?

Please tell me the last time you had a server in Europe or Asia chase you down to return the money you left for them.

In my experience, being an American typically results in the expectation for a tip, even if the server wouldn't expect one from another nationality. And by law, employers in the US are obligated to pay ensure that servers and bartenders make at least minimum wage. If the tips don't add up to $7.25 or higher, they make up the difference. But I worked in bars and restaurants throughout college, and never once did I average less than minimum wage over the course of a shift. Generally, if it's that slow, the manager just cuts the number of people working the floor or bar.

#34 | Posted by madbomber at 2017-07-12 10:41 AM | Reply

"A guy who will always bitch and whine about poor service."

In his mind it justifies him being a cheapskate. He probably feels like he is teaching them an important lesson in life.

#35 | Posted by danni at 2017-07-12 10:48 AM | Reply

You guys act like I don't tip. I do. I just expect good service. If your service sucks, why would I give you extra money? That doesn't make sense.

And it's MY money. Why shouldn't I expect good service for MY hard earned money?

You liberals act like you are entitled to free money. Damn.

#36 | Posted by boaz at 2017-07-12 11:35 AM | Reply

why would I give you extra money? That doesn't make sense.

You liberals act like you are entitled to free money. Damn.

#36 | Posted by boaz at 2017-07-12 11:35 AM | Reply | Flag:

It's not free money. She earned it by being your server. You have no understanding as per the usual. You owe it to your server.

#37 | Posted by LauraMohr at 2017-07-12 12:41 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 2

You owe it to your server.

#37 | POSTED BY LAURAMOHR AT 2017-07-12 12:41 PM | FLAG: I'd say utilizing hte word "owe" is a bit out there.

#38 | Posted by MSgt at 2017-07-12 01:02 PM | Reply

"How much should he tip? $0. How much does he tip? More than you, I am certain."

I'm not certain of that. Perhaps he is very generous.

Perhaps I am too.

#39 | Posted by eberly at 2017-07-12 01:19 PM | Reply

beta.barstoolsports.com

#40 | Posted by 101Chairborne at 2017-07-12 01:24 PM | Reply

www.cleveland.com

#41 | Posted by 101Chairborne at 2017-07-12 01:26 PM | Reply

Posted by MSgt at 2017-07-12 01:02 PM | Reply

The wait staff works FOR 3 entities

Their boss
Themselves
YOU the customer.

You owe it to them. PERIOD

#42 | Posted by LauraMohr at 2017-07-12 01:27 PM | Reply

He was among the 10 worst celebrity tippers...

I listen to Jim Rome and he occasionally bags on bad celebrity/sports tippers. I don't know why it cracks me up, but it does.

#43 | Posted by 101Chairborne at 2017-07-12 01:27 PM | Reply

#42 | POSTED BY LAURAMOHR AT 2017-07-12 01:27 PM | FLAG: If that's the case then it is no longer a 'gratuity' and the server must submit a bill, plus the entire amount must then be taxed ;)

#44 | Posted by MSgt at 2017-07-12 02:23 PM | Reply

#1 | POSTED BY GONOLES92

"The minimum wage is too high, affordable health care is an entitlement and only the wealthy should get the highest tax breaks. But here's a dollar."

#45 | Posted by Derek_Wildstar at 2017-07-12 02:24 PM | Reply

Posted by MSgt at 2017-07-12 02:23 PM | Reply

You're a lost cause. Just don't go to restaurants then if you don't think you need to tip.

#46 | Posted by LauraMohr at 2017-07-12 02:26 PM | Reply

Boaz, I don't mean to pick on you, but I've noticed you're sensitive other black people perpetuating so called black stereotypes. I can relate in my own little way because I hate it when other Texans perpetuate typical bone-headed behaviors such as urinating outside off the back porch, scratching their privates in public, or farting in a crowded elevator and saying, "Damn Blue!" when there's obviously no dog riding along.

So, why perpetuate this one...namely being a skinflint with gratuities? If you're going to be an iconoclast, pick something other than -------- on people who serve you. It makes you look like a rednecked hillbilly.

#47 | Posted by madscientist at 2017-07-12 02:37 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

Msgt servers do pay tax on the entire amount if you pay by credit card. If you pay cash they pay taxes on 10% of your order total regardless of tip amount.

Madbomber and Boaz, if you tip less than 10% the server is paying tax on money they never receive that is the main reason I get pissed at people who proudly claim to never tip, you are screwing the server on 2 levels. As far as the guarantee of min wage it is usually over the pay period so a shift where you get one table and only average 3 bucks an hour won't get boosted because your better shifts will still put you over min wage.

#48 | Posted by TaoWarrior at 2017-07-12 02:57 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 2

In Japan, tipping is not a part of the culture. It is not expected and can cause confusion. Like many other countries in East Asia, Japanese people see tipping as insulting.

In Singapore, tipping is insulting. People may mistake it as a bribe, which is a chargeable offence that could result in jail time. Bars and restaurants typically add a 10% service charge , which is compounded by the 7% Goods & Services Tax, although it is not given to the wait staff. This already makes an additional 17.7% to the restaurant bill. Tips are generally not given anywhere. Taxi drivers given tip will mistaken it for excess cash and return exact change.

In Finland tipping is not customary and never expected.

In 6 states in the USA tipping was once illegal as it was considered a form of bribery.

#49 | Posted by hatter5183 at 2017-07-12 03:02 PM | Reply

#46 | POSTED BY LAURAMOHR AT 2017-07-12 02:26 PM | FLAG: You do not quite understand. My younger brother has been a find dining waiter all his life, my wife bartended to put herself through college and we generally tip 20%, in a few special occasions 40%, but also have left a nickel for P** P*** Service. It is your proposition that it is 'owed' that I have contention with, but then again, being owed is a typical libble attitude so why am I not surprised?

#50 | Posted by MSgt at 2017-07-12 04:09 PM | Reply

Posted by MSgt at 2017-07-12 04:09 PM | Reply

They are working for you so yes it is owed to them. That's how it works.

#51 | Posted by LauraMohr at 2017-07-12 04:17 PM | Reply

I've been to Japan. I don't recall them having chased me down for a bar tip. Same thing with Singapore. I've never been to Finland, but I have been across Europe and Central America. I always tipped. And I've had friends who lived in Europe tell me it was customary for servers to expect tips from American customers, even after the American customers adopted the local culture and elected not to tip or tip less.

Why did you bring me into it. I always tip at least 10%. While in college, if I wasn't working at the bars, I was there drinking. People don't work in bars and restaurants because they make less money, they do so because these jobs pay more those that offer a stable hourly wage. In many ways it's like sales, where those who are good at it do very well relative to their peers. And if you're working in a popular establishment, it takes some talent to succeed. There were some nights at the bar I worked at in Charlotte that would get absolutely crazy...especially if a NASCAR driver or professional athlete thought it was going to be a good night to chase college girls.

#52 | Posted by madbomber at 2017-07-12 06:34 PM | Reply

Although, blacks are notoriously poor/non-tippers.

#11 | POSTED BY 101CHAIRBORNE

I thought they just "find" a hair in the last bite of food?

#53 | Posted by jpw at 2017-07-12 09:14 PM | Reply

#45 | POSTED BY DEREK_WILDSTAR

Does it really surprise you that they would run through the motions of being generous given how they run through the motions of being "Christian"?

It's all about making themselves feel like decent human beings while doing whatever else they can in their power to not act like one.

#54 | Posted by jpw at 2017-07-12 09:21 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

I quit reading at #13.

I'm pretty sure # 13 and I were raised by the same guy.

He would plant a boot in your ass if he was alive today, and you know it, hermano.

#55 | Posted by MrSilenceDogood at 2017-07-13 01:03 AM | Reply

30% is the new standard. This includes fast food workers. If you can't afford that then you shouldn't leave your house, for anything. Otherwise you deserve to have bad things happen to you. Remember on a global scale you're actually very rich compared to the rest of the world, so dig deep and pay up you cheapskates, no matter what your situation is. Also remember the percentage will continue to go up with inflation, so be sure to set aside some money for the future.

#56 | Posted by sentinel at 2017-07-13 01:21 AM | Reply

Outside of the USA do other modern countries consider working for tips civilized?

#57 | Posted by snoofy at 2017-07-13 01:29 AM | Reply

"And I've had friends who lived in Europe tell me it was customary for servers to expect tips from American customers, even after the American customers adopted the local culture and elected not to tip or tip less."

See, I like to mix it up. Here in America I stiff everybody but when I go to Europe I'm tipping the bus driver, fast food workers, even those guys that stand there like a statue.

That way, when you guys go to Europe, they all think you're -------- for not tipping.

#58 | Posted by snoofy at 2017-07-13 01:35 AM | Reply

Look, again. I do tip. I just expect SERVICE for it.

They are working for you so yes it is owed to them. That's how it works.

No laura. YOU don't get to tell me how it works. You don't make the rules.

If there's a sign outside that says, SERVERS ONLY MAKE TIPS, then I tip a base 20%. Anything more is because the service was awesome.

If that sign isn't there, then the waitstaff makes at least miminum wage.

#59 | Posted by boaz at 2017-07-13 01:13 PM | Reply

You owe it to them. PERIOD
#42 | Posted by LauraMohr

No one is owed anything other than the customer, who is owed the product he has paid for.

#60 | Posted by boaz at 2017-07-13 01:15 PM | Reply

Posted by boaz at 2017-07-13 01:15 PM | Reply

You haven't the slightest clue. How sad. Now who acts entitled hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm???

#61 | Posted by LauraMohr at 2017-07-13 01:21 PM | Reply