Tuesday, July 11, 2017

At least 16 people were killed when a US military plane crashed in rural Mississippi on Monday evening. Captain Sarah Burns, a spokeswoman for the Marine Corps, said only that a US Marines KC-130 Hercules transport aircraft had "experienced a mishap," with news media initially reporting five confirmed deaths. Several hours later, Fred Randle, LeFlore County director of emergency management, told Reuters that at least 16 people had perished. The incident was a 'tragedy', Mississippi Governor Phil Bryant said in a statement on social media site Facebook, but provided no details.

Comments

Someone claimed the plane had an explosion on board at 20,000 feet, but looking at the mostly intact wreckage, that seems unlikely.

#1 | Posted by J_Tremain at 2017-07-11 01:38 AM | Reply

More info...
www.apnews.com

...[Local farmer Andy] Jones said the plane hit the ground behind trees in the soybean field, and by the time he and other reached the crash site, fires were burning too intensely to approach the wreckage. The force of the crash nearly flattened the plane, Jones said.

"Beans are about waist-high, and there wasn't much sticking out above the beans," he said....

#2 | Posted by LampLighter at 2017-07-11 09:51 AM | Reply

Articles elsewhere stated that the plane was carrying ammunition, witnesses stating that the plane was heavily smoking before making landfall, and when first responders arrived on scene, they initially could not approach due to multiple explosions (possibly : ammunition exploding).

#3 | Posted by GOnoles92 at 2017-07-11 09:58 AM | Reply

Hauling ammo in a KC-130? The cargo bay is filled with large, steel fuel tanks.

#4 | Posted by sitzkrieg at 2017-07-11 12:00 PM | Reply

"there wasn't much sticking out above the beans," he said...."

Memorable sentence. Encapsulates the tragedy perfectly.

#5 | Posted by pumpkinhead at 2017-07-11 02:47 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

"experienced a mishap," is a lesson in understatement.

#6 | Posted by Corky at 2017-07-11 02:49 PM | Reply

RIP Marines and Corpsman.

#7 | Posted by hoser at 2017-07-11 08:42 PM | Reply

Oh the joys of flying in a C130, AKA the vomit comet. #4 | Posted by sitzkrieg, No the fuel tanks are in the wings and under the deck, and yes they carry ammo regularly. Ordinance is generally very safe to carry. About the only danger is fire. If some of that went off while in flight, it would have come down in pieces. The pilots and crew did their duty, they were in trouble and put their plane down where no one else would be hurt. This is unusual, the C130 is a four engine turbo prop, it can stay in the air on two engines. It has a record as being one of the toughest and most reliable planes that are in the air. I've flown in these beasts many times in Iraq and other countries. About as much fun as riding a roller coaster blindfolded. No windows, easy to lose your lunch, especially when making a corkscrew approach to avoid some one shooting at you.

#8 | Posted by docnjo at 2017-07-11 09:07 PM | Reply

"Is that you, John Wayne?"

"Yep... that's me."

#9 | Posted by REDIAL at 2017-07-11 09:14 PM | Reply

it's a kc130, the tanker. the cargo hold is loaded with fuel tanks. been in one.

#10 | Posted by sitzkrieg at 2017-07-11 09:16 PM | Reply

#10 | Posted by sitzkrieg, I didn't know the Marines had a KC130, never ever saw one with USMC on the tail. Took a long trip on one with a couple of refuelings in rough across the pond, very smooth. Lots of room on the top deck. Best night sleep I had in a year.

#11 | Posted by docnjo at 2017-07-11 09:33 PM | Reply

#9 | Posted by REDIAL, John Wane never spent a day in uniform, except in movies. Henry Fonda and Jimmy Stewart did. The reason might have been that Marion Robert Morrison messed up his knee surfing while he was attending UCLA. Point to ponder, ever see the Duke run in one of his movies?

#12 | Posted by docnjo at 2017-07-11 09:41 PM | Reply

I see that sailed so far over your head it might have well been a satellite.

#13 | Posted by REDIAL at 2017-07-11 09:54 PM | Reply

Redial, you just signed your own death warrant. How dare you interrupt docjno's reverent moment of super-idealized, military-grade nostalgia?

#14 | Posted by pumpkinhead at 2017-07-11 10:03 PM | Reply | Funny: 4

All I know is these were American's sons, friends, brothers. There's no politics about this tragedy. I share President Trump's condolences to the families.

#15 | Posted by danni at 2017-07-11 10:15 PM | Reply

#13 | Posted by REDIAL The difference is I've been there. And the reality is the world is made up of two types, spectators and doers. How is your view?
#14 | Posted by pumpkinhead, yep, and what I got for 22 years of service including 5 in areas where I got a little extra for getting shot at was to be the butt of a joke. Military-grade nostalgia? I am not a bit nostalgic, If my country call for my service today, I would not answer.

#16 | Posted by docnjo at 2017-07-11 10:41 PM | Reply

"If my country call for my service today, I would not answer."

Of course you wouldn't. You would no longer be able to talk about it ad-nauseum on the Drudge Retort and use it to try to legitimize your own worldview and de-legitimize that of others. After that Muslim poster laid the smack-down on you and pretty much called you out as an inveterate liar, I have deemed all your subsequent posts as fake news anyway :-)

#17 | Posted by pumpkinhead at 2017-07-11 10:57 PM | Reply

My experience is that those who have "been there" tend not to brag about it much. Boaz is a good example. I don't agree with his politics, and I think he's pretty narrow minded, but he doesn't cluck about every detail of his military experience and expect it to be the Last Word on every topic, like some tend to do.

#18 | Posted by REDIAL at 2017-07-11 10:59 PM | Reply

"Articles elsewhere stated that the plane was carrying ammunition, witnesses stating that the plane was heavily smoking before making landfall, and when first responders arrived on scene, they initially could not approach due to multiple explosions"

So you're saying the plane was an unarmned black man who was acting threateningly and was gunned down by law enforcement.

#19 | Posted by snoofy at 2017-07-11 11:07 PM | Reply

Either that or an obese civil war re-enactor with emphysema and a gut full of beans and cabbage.

#20 | Posted by madscientist at 2017-07-11 11:14 PM | Reply

Docnjo, our country no longer puts out the call for service in the way that you have to go to Canada or join the Texas Air National Guard if you don't want to heed the call.

You voted for that TANG guy, right? I guess you thought his decision making process was sound on that one!

#21 | Posted by snoofy at 2017-07-11 11:26 PM | Reply

John Wane never sp...

Yep. No change in condition.

that sailed so far over your head it might have well been a satellite.

More like an asteroid.

After that Muslim poster laid the smack-down on you

When an Asian kicks you in the butt it tends to leave a mark.

Never fight with an Asian... even little old ladies.

But then I'm from TEXAS.... Amen.

#22 | Posted by J_Tremain at 2017-07-12 07:21 AM | Reply

Well.. I guess that's true. BOAZ really doesn't brag about the military.

I don't brag either... not about my time on the MAYFLOWER or about the time I caught Amreek.. f--k... AMERICA's first turkey and taught all those Injuns how to feed themselves. Or when I started building America's first railroad. Or when I nearly killed Ho-Chi-Min with my bare hands....

Never brag. You just sound stupid.

#23 | Posted by J_Tremain at 2017-07-12 07:29 AM | Reply

They died protecting the USA from Mississippi.

Heros!

#24 | Posted by kudzu at 2017-07-12 11:49 AM | Reply

#11 | POSTED BY DOCNJO AT 2017-07-11 09:33 PM | FLAG:

There's only 1 usmc reserve unit that has the -130T model, was a dozen airframes. It's an older one from the 80s.

The new one is supposed to be very modular and can be a tanker, or can fly overwatch missions and shoot missiles. -J model I think.

I really need to finish my Fat Albert RC build..

#25 | Posted by sitzkrieg at 2017-07-12 03:00 PM | Reply

about the time I caught Amreek..

Lol, hmmmm....