Sunday, July 09, 2017

Bakari Henderson, a 22-year-old recent graduate of the University of Arizona, was in a bar with friends in Laganas, a tourist village on the island of Zakynthos, when another customer approached him. The confrontation quickly escalated to a fistfight, and the bar's security guard asked the two to leave, according to the state news agency. The fight continued outside, where more people, including two bar employees, began punching Henderson. Surveillance videos from nearby shops showed the suspects beating Henderson even after he was already unconscious, ANA-MPA reported. Henderson died at a hospital. Eight people have been arrested and will be charged in connection to Henderson's death, the news agency reported.

Alternate links: Google News | Twitter

Henderson, who's from Austin, Texas, was in Greece for a photo shoot to launch his new clothing line, his family told NBC affiliate KVOA in a statement. He attended the University of Arizona on a full academic scholarship and graduated in May with a bachelor's degree in business finance and entrepreneurship, along with a certificate in sports management. He also had internships with the Texas legislature, including the House speaker's office, his family said.

Comments

22 with all those scholastic accolades and dies in a bar fight, a real thinker there.

#1 | Posted by Crassus at 2017-07-09 11:41 AM | Reply | Funny: 2

Too bad this didn't happen in Chicago, then this thread would be lit.

#2 | Posted by snoofy at 2017-07-09 12:39 PM | Reply

- a real thinker there.

Yeah, how stupid of him to force someone to come up to him in a bar and start a fistfight, then force the same person to get his friends to kill him.

I guess it's dangerous for a black kid from Texas to go into a bar anywhere in the world.

#3 | Posted by Corky at 2017-07-09 01:18 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 3

Sad news...

#4 | Posted by GOnoles92 at 2017-07-09 01:50 PM | Reply

Tragic loss for his family and friends. With that many people beating someone it shouldn't be referred to as a fight, it was a murder. They kept beating him after he became unconscious, I hope they spend their lives in prison.

#5 | Posted by danni at 2017-07-09 05:15 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 3

Go sit in the corner, Crassus.

#6 | Posted by madscientist at 2017-07-09 05:52 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

Awful.

#7 | Posted by BruceBanner at 2017-07-09 06:49 PM | Reply

Jeez, Crassus, you're a cold SOB. How do you know he provoked this?

#8 | Posted by cbob at 2017-07-10 09:50 AM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

How do you know he provoked this?

He liked wearing ear jewellery.

#9 | Posted by J_Tremain at 2017-07-10 10:04 AM | Reply

I've been there once (2014) but I didn't like it much-- too Euro. Too many white people (especially those goddam Serbs) and yes, there is a very racist element there, and combined with the current anti-American sentiment in that part of the world, you can have trouble. As soon as I read the location I knew the guy was going to be an African-American.

I speak German and some French so when I'm in places such as these, where there are a few flirty blondes surrounded a sea of white skinned testosterone, I can pass myself off as an obnoxious boor from Switzerland (Swiss get left alone for the most part) and usually, if it comes to kerfuffles and/or fisticuffs, I can duck away before being the recipient of a beat-down by drunken nationalists.

#10 | Posted by pumpkinhead at 2017-07-10 10:07 AM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

"He liked wearing ear jewellery."

Most likely if you had been there at the same time you would have been the target for the violent reaction, Muslims aren't too popular with Serbian thugs. I'm not though saying that you would deserve such treatment any more than the young man in the article did.

#11 | Posted by danni at 2017-07-10 10:23 AM | Reply

Muslims aren't too popular with Serbian thugs

True enough.

However, Muslims from certain places know how to answer violence with extra-violence. (not arabs though.. they just roll over and play dead)

But then I'm a Tarvu-ist from Texas. And I have no intention of going to Greece or trying gay pickup lines on random Serbs.

#12 | Posted by J_Tremain at 2017-07-10 10:32 AM | Reply

If you're from Texas then I'm Alexis Texas.

#13 | Posted by DixvilleNotch at 2017-07-10 01:04 PM | Reply | Funny: 1

I'm Alexis Texas

Good for you!

#14 | Posted by J_Tremain at 2017-07-10 01:20 PM | Reply

If you're from Texas then I'm Alexis Texas.

#13 | Posted by DixvilleNotch at 2017-07-

We're both from Texas. It's a complicated place.

#15 | Posted by Zed at 2017-07-10 01:59 PM | Reply

How do you know he provoked this?

He liked wearing ear jewellery.

#9 | Posted by J_Tremain

Beware of Greeks when wearing ear jewelry?

Wait.. I thought Greeks liked that kind of thing.

#16 | Posted by donnerboy at 2017-07-10 09:26 PM | Reply

It is possible the fight started over a selfie the victim took with a waitress.

www.youtube.com