Tuesday, June 20, 2017

A man killed in a crash last year while using the semi-autonomous driving system on his Tesla Model S sedan kept his hands off the wheel for extended periods of time despite repeated automated warnings not to do so, a U.S. government report said on Monday. The National Transportation Safety Board (NTSB) released 500 pages of findings into the May 2016 death of Joshua Brown, a former Navy SEAL, near Williston, Florida. Brown's Model S collided with a truck while it was engaged in the "Autopilot" mode and he was killed.

Comments

The other day I was thinking that the next big tool for goverment/corporate data mining will be cars. We'll reach a point where every new car will automatically send data on your movements, driving speed, radio listening habits, etc to government and private interests. There will be some supposed benefit to it and most people won't complain. But there will also be a niche market for older "dumb" cars, until they are banned from the roads.

#1 | Posted by Sully at 2017-06-20 12:42 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

Then you will know the truth, and the truth shall set you free! Or something like that.

A lot of new technology is definitely creepy in its surveillance of everything we do. But as always, there is another side in its evidentiary value. That is, assuming the technology is accurate.

#2 | Posted by cbob at 2017-06-20 12:48 PM | Reply

That is, assuming the technology is accurate.

#2 | POSTED BY CBOB AT 2017-06-20 12:48 PM | REPLY

Yeah, there's never scandals involving automotive manufacturers and defects that kill people.

#3 | Posted by sitzkrieg at 2017-06-20 12:57 PM | Reply

#1 | Posted by Sully

Well some insurance companies already offer discounts if you let them put a tracking device in your car that tells them your driving habits.

Disgusting. Anyone who signs up for that program is selling out their fellow countrymen. But millenials have been brainwashed to think privacy is just something old people whine about. Our public schools are too crappy to teach them why privacy matters.

#4 | Posted by SpeakSoftly at 2017-06-20 01:10 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

Anyone who signs up for that program is selling out their fellow countrymen.

I don't see how it is "selling out" anybody else to let your driving be tracked.

At most you could say that these drivers are encouraging a society where more surveillance is accepted.

But we're all doing that. Our phones, laptops and PCs all have cameras on them. Our Amazon Echo is always listening. Google searches are saved by default in our accounts. I can remember when I used to be bothered about these things.

Face it: Our natural state in the affluent tech-loving world is to not take spying seriously. Privacy advocates who walk the walk are rare.

#5 | Posted by rcade at 2017-06-20 01:28 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

Try enacting a gun registry, all of a sudden they will take it seriously.

Nothing else matters though.

#6 | Posted by snoofy at 2017-06-20 01:34 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 2

That is, assuming the technology is accurate.
#2 | POSTED BY CBOB AT 2017-06-20 12:48 PM | REPLY

#3 | POSTED BY SITZKRIEG AT 2017-06-20 12:57 PM | FLAG:

I know. You'll get no argument from me about that.

#7 | Posted by cbob at 2017-06-20 01:35 PM | Reply

#5 | Posted by rcade

That's exactly what I'm saying.

Just like voting, you encourage more of what you support. If you are picking between 2 policies, one which spies on you and one which doesn't, if you pick the one that spies on you, you are encouraging that practice to spread.

Even with apps, google and waze both track you when you're using them, but waze tracks you even when you're NOT using it, just by having it on your phone. So screw waze.

When you have a choice between 2 services or products, pick the one with more respect for privacy. The lesser evil. That is the consumer's way of advocating for more privacy.

#8 | Posted by SpeakSoftly at 2017-06-20 01:40 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

And I can't beleive you bought an amazon echo. You must have a lot of faith in corporations and total naivety about the ability of hackers in order to put a surveillance device in your house for them.

#9 | Posted by SpeakSoftly at 2017-06-20 01:42 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

"But we're all doing that. Our phones, laptops and PCs all have cameras on them. Our Amazon Echo is always listening. Google searches are saved by default in our accounts." - #5 | Posted by rcade at 2017-06-20 01:28 PM

In turn, our behavior is changed. And this is known as panopticism, a term coined by French philosopher Michel Foucault:

In panopticism, the watcher ceases to be external to the watched. Rather than external actions, the gaze of the watcher is internalized to such an extent that each prisoner (economic agent/worker) becomes his/her own guard. "Hence the major effect of the Panopticon: to induce in the inmate a state of conscious and permanent visibility that assures the automatic functioning of power. So to arrange things that the surveillance is permanent in its effects, even if it is discontinuous in its action; that the perfection of power should tend to render its actual exercise unnecessary."

source

#10 | Posted by Hans at 2017-06-20 01:43 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

"Just like voting, you encourage more of what you support." - #8 | Posted by SpeakSoftly at 2017-06-20 01:40 PM

Don't Vote It Just Encourages the Bastards, by P. J. O'Rourke

#11 | Posted by Hans at 2017-06-20 01:46 PM | Reply

Don't Vote It Just Encourages the Bastards, by P. J. O'Rourke
#11 | POSTED BY HANS

Great book!

"Kill - F**K - Marry". Classic.

#12 | Posted by JeffJ at 2017-06-20 01:54 PM | Reply | Funny: 1

""Kill - F**K - Marry". Classic." - #12 | Posted by JeffJ at 2017-06-20 01:54 PM | Reply | Flag: LOL, jeffj!!!

#13 | Posted by Hans at 2017-06-20 01:57 PM | Reply

And I have no reason to care other than that it is just none of their business.

#14 | Posted by sully at 2017-06-20 02:02 PM | Reply

Don't Vote It Just Encourages the Bastards, by P. J. O'Rourke

#11 | Posted by Hans

That philosophy is why republicans are kicking dems asses. They're not waiting for the perfect candidate, they vote for whatever monster most closely represents their moronic views, while dems and moderates stay at home waiting for MLK, effectively letting repubs take over the country.

#15 | Posted by SpeakSoftly at 2017-06-20 02:04 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 4

"I won't even use EZ Pass because I think if it isn't already being used to track where people go, it will be in the near future. "

Toll booth drive-thrus are almost always videoed.

#16 | Posted by Danforth at 2017-06-20 02:15 PM | Reply

So as I predicted its already caused one death. I still predict it will run over some children and we will see a call to have all robotic cars banned in the US.

#17 | Posted by tmaster at 2017-06-20 02:18 PM | Reply

"They're not waiting for the perfect candidate, they vote for whatever monster most closely represents their moronic views, while dems and moderates stay at home waiting for MLK, effectively letting repubs take over the country." - #15 | Posted by SpeakSoftly at 2017-06-20 02:04 PM

Spot-on observation, Speak.

#18 | Posted by Hans at 2017-06-20 02:29 PM | Reply

#17 | Posted by tmaster

By that logic, human drivers should be banned too.

#19 | Posted by SpeakSoftly at 2017-06-20 03:17 PM | Reply

And I can't beleive you bought an amazon echo.

I bought it for $39 18 months before it came out and had little idea what it was. Amazon just made a special pre-release offer to Prime members.

The day it arrived, the whole house wanted to use it. It's one of the most useful tech devices I've ever owned.

#20 | Posted by rcade at 2017-06-20 03:46 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

"It's one of the most useful tech devices I've ever owned." - #20 | Posted by rcade at 2017-06-20 03:46 PM

I'm waiting for the dust to settle on what is sure to become the dominant player in home information/smart home control/integration with smart devices, etc.

Back in the day, every Betamax owner could rattle off a dozen reasons why their format was so much better than VHS. And it was true: better picture quality, better sound, etc. And yet...

#21 | Posted by Hans at 2017-06-20 03:52 PM | Reply

#20 | Posted by rcade

Til it gets subpoenaed to testify against you.

#22 | Posted by SpeakSoftly at 2017-06-20 05:34 PM | Reply

I would just say that every state needs to outlaw texting while driving and fine the idiots that are caught doing it or jail them. Studies have found they are more dangerous than drunk drivers but I see them every day texting away. They also slow traffic, they don't look up when the light changes so everyone behind them is delayed. They suck! I hate them.

#23 | Posted by danni at 2017-06-22 07:30 AM | Reply

"Til it gets subpoenaed to testify against you."

I'm quite sure that is a big worry for RCADE. I have to admit that I question the motives of those who are so concerned with privacy, because I don't ever have any conversations or interactions that would incriminate me. I want the NSA or whoever to catch the mother******s who would bomb innocent people, sorry but I don't know how they could possibly do that without some ability to listen or to see what is online. We task them with an impossible task and then want to tie their hands while whining when a terrorist does succeed in his/her evil mission. We need to have a better consensus on how much we are willing to sacrifice in order to prevent terrorism and I don't think we've actually had that honest conversation in this country. What would you have sacrificed in privacy to have prevented 9-11?

#24 | Posted by danni at 2017-06-22 09:10 AM | Reply