Monday, June 19, 2017

Leonard Pitts Jr.: Two weeks ago, a black woman driving alone in Princeton, Louisiana, was pulled over for no apparent reason. ... It's no surprise [Ayanna Reid] Cruver's video discombobulates some of those for whom police brutality is only a news story: It offers stark testimony of the damage done to policing when accountability is not required. As such, that clip should be required viewing for every cop in America, every chief who ever stood behind a bad officer, every prosecutor who ever looked the other way, every juror who gave a cop benefit of the doubt when there was no doubt, every judge for whom equality before the law was only words to say.

Alternate links: Google News | Twitter

Where there is no accountability, there can be no trust. When law-abiding people have legitimate reason to fear even a traffic stop, the world becomes more dangerous, both for police and the communities they serve.

Comments

Taking police at their word and accepting their word as fact Leads us to the place we are now where what an officer says is more important than what he does.

Once the officer learns the right words to say, Any action on his/her part can be justified.

Even when we have video DR posters talk about what "must have happened" or what we can "safely assume happened" merely because the person involved is a police officer and despite video evidence to the contrary

#1 | Posted by hatter5183 at 2017-06-19 03:20 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 2

This is the result of the drug war, which is a result of private campaign donations.

One more problem that can be fixed as soon as we fix campaign funding - the source of nearly ALL our problems.

#2 | Posted by SpeakSoftly at 2017-06-19 03:30 PM | Reply | Funny: 1 | Newsworthy 1

#2 | POSTED BY SPEAKSOFTLY AT 2017-06-19 03:30 PM | FLAG:

Cue et al appearing in a puff of smoke to explain why that can't happen...

#3 | Posted by DirkStruan at 2017-06-19 03:35 PM | Reply

Pitts occasionally writes for the Detroit Free Press and I've found him to be a colossal douche.

Having said that, he raises a really good issue in this article.

#4 | Posted by JeffJ at 2017-06-19 03:36 PM | Reply | Funny: 1

Good thing Trump and Sessions don't believe its an issue and are dismantling the DOJ's programs to fix bad police departments.

#5 | Posted by Sycophant at 2017-06-19 04:09 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 3

It's very sad to realize that there are people who will read this article and think it's a good thing she felt that way. "She's been put in her place." SIGH.

#6 | Posted by SomebodyElse at 2017-06-19 05:39 PM | Reply

The police are NOT your friends. The Police, if they get in their heads that they want to charge you with something or ---- with you, WILL lie. You are NOT a priority to them. They MAY fake empathy, but at the end of the day, are interested in themselves and their "brothers in blue". Police WILL write reports that paint you in the worst imaginable light and you will have to hire lawyers and fight in court for stuff that should not be at issue. They don't care, many police want you to be so afraid you won't break the law, not understanding that this puts police and citizens at conflict.

Do not trust the police, do not speak to police unless you have to and do not expand on their questions.

It really is a shame that Americans have to be afraid or reluctant to call the police.

Oh BTW, this police wasn't concerned about her when he pulled her over, he saw a middle class black woman and invented an excuse to pull her over. When he saw she got upset he changed his tune.

#7 | Posted by truthhurts at 2017-06-19 06:13 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 8

I just want to point out that the cop used the EXCUSE that she was OBEYING the law to pull her over.

#8 | Posted by truthhurts at 2017-06-19 06:15 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

#7 | Posted by truthhurts

AMEN.

And add to that the fact that the people who sign up to be cops do so KNOWING that they're going to be ruining lives for nonviolent drug offenses.
They might not have started the drug war, but by signing up to fight in it, they are selling out their fellow americans in exchange for a paycheck.

#9 | Posted by SpeakSoftly at 2017-06-19 06:56 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

The actual story is somewhat different that the headline..............

But she was not shot and killed. Or hauled from her car and body-slammed. Or even arrested for getting snippy.

The officer explained that she was driving under the speed limit, something he said drivers do when they are tired or inebriated. He said he just wanted to make sure she was OK.

"And as he said that," said Ayanna Reid Cruver in a video posted to Facebook, "I just broke down crying,"

She cried again, recounting it. "I told him, 'I was so scared.' I knew he felt awful that I was that scared. I never thought that in that situation I would feel fearful, but I legitimately felt horrified."

The officer, she said, begged her not to cry. He even gave her a hug. But Cruver was still so shaken she had to get off the freeway and pull over to compose herself.

#10 | Posted by tmaster at 2017-06-19 11:47 PM | Reply | Funny: 1

Yeah right. The speed limit is the maximum speed. You're more than welcome to go under it. That's why they call it the limit.

#11 | Posted by bruceaz at 2017-06-20 12:00 AM | Reply

Well I guess you can't go under 45 on the freeway.but still

#12 | Posted by bruceaz at 2017-06-20 12:05 AM | Reply

Welcome to the wingnut police state, brought to you by goldman sachs.

#13 | Posted by kudzu at 2017-06-20 07:38 AM | Reply | Funny: 1

Welcome to the wingnut police state, brought to you by goldman sachs.

#13 | Posted by kudzu

Brought to you by "tough on crime" voters, mostly republicans.

#14 | Posted by SpeakSoftly at 2017-06-20 11:18 AM | Reply | Funny: 1

Welcome to the wingnut police state, brought to you by goldman sachs.
#13 | Posted by kudzu
Brought to you by "tough on crime" voters, mostly republicans.

#14 | POSTED BY SPEAKSOFTLY AT 2017-06-20 11:18 AM | FLAG:

Don't forget about the police that get shot for no reason because people like Truthhurts gin people up to think they are our enemy.

#15 | Posted by fishpaw at 2017-06-20 12:50 PM | Reply

#15 | Posted by fishpaw

YOu got that backwards. Citizens are getting shot for no reason because cops are trained to see us all as potential murderers, and to shoot first and ask questions later.

Cops are getting shot in response.

#16 | Posted by SpeakSoftly at 2017-06-20 01:06 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 4

"The police are NOT your friends. The Police, if they get in their heads that they want to charge you with something or ---- with you, WILL lie. You are NOT a priority to them. They MAY fake empathy"

When I was in my twenties, I got pulled over by a state trooper on my way to work. I had gotten nervous when I was pulling over and cut someone off a little (I also didn't expect the other idiot to get between me and a cop who had his lights flashing). The trooper was a real jagov who was shouting for no reason the whole time. He thought I may have been high because I cut off the other car when I was getting over and he asked me if I "smoked". I replied to him that I smoked cigarettes in the car regularly and the car smelled like cigarette smoke.

He misheard me and thought I was incriminating myself and all of the sudden his tone got really calm and sensitive. It was the phoniest transformation I have ever seen. When I repeated myself and he realize that I was just admitting to smoking cigarettes and nothing more, he went right back to shouting and carrying on like an idiot.

The only time during the whole interaction that he was least bit civil was when he thought I was screwing myself over. He even made me get out of the car to retrieve the ticket from him (against procedure) and he had an empty beer bottle on his front seat. No doubt he would "find" it in some poor suckers' car later.

#17 | Posted by Sully at 2017-06-20 01:15 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

Things right wingers believe that just aren't true #1888

Police are getting killed more often than they used to.

Truth: According to the National Law Enforcement Officers Memorial Fund the last 5 years have seen the LEAST officer fatalities since 1960

#18 | Posted by hatter5183 at 2017-06-20 05:22 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 3

#15 | POSTED BY FISHPAW AT 2017-06-20 12:50 PM | FLAG:

Riiiiiiiight.

#19 | Posted by BruceBanner at 2017-06-20 05:42 PM | Reply

#15 | Posted by fishpaw

F' You and the horse you rode in on. The stuff I posted are from personal experiences I've had that I won't get into on an anonymous blog.

#20 | Posted by truthhurts at 2017-06-20 08:54 PM | Reply

#3 | Posted by DirkStruan

The boss recommends this for your pain. www.buttpaste.com

#21 | Posted by et_al at 2017-06-20 09:53 PM | Reply

"Something's wrong when the law-abiding are afraid of police"

Plenty of right-wingers think something is right when the law-abiding are afraid of police.

100% of Trump supporters believe this, for example.

#22 | Posted by snoofy at 2017-06-20 10:25 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

The police, and others, being able to rough people up was a huge selling point for Trump, and it's something he opined about in his "Bring back the death penalty" full-page ad in New York Daily News after the Central Park Jogger story was in full swing.

Read it and you'll see it's pretty much identical to what he longs for today. www.theguardian.com

#23 | Posted by snoofy at 2017-06-20 10:28 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

The more government, the more laws, the more regulation the more police power you will have. All law is enforced by men with guns. As Mao stated, "Political power comes from the barrow of a gun". Remember that when you ask your government to do anything.

#24 | Posted by docnjo at 2017-06-21 01:07 PM | Reply | Funny: 1

Considering that well over 100 million people in the last century were murdered by their governments, indeed a leading cause of mortality in the 20th century, I find it inconceivable that someone would find a warning of giving any government cart blanch power "funny". I guess Hitler, Stalin, Mao and many others were a laugh a minute.

#25 | Posted by docnjo at 2017-06-21 04:47 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1