Monday, June 19, 2017

A huge trove of voter data, including personal information and voter profiling data on what's thought to be every registered US voter dating back more than a decade, has been found on an exposed and unsecured server, ZDNet has learned. It's believed to be the largest ever known exposure of voter information to date. The various databases containing 198 million records on American voters from all political parties were found stored on an open Amazon S3 storage server owned by a Republican data analytics firm, Deep Root Analytics. UpGuard cyber risk analyst Chris Vickery, who found the exposed server, verified the data. Through his responsible disclosure, the server was secured late last week, and prior to publication.

Alternate links: Google News | Twitter

This leak shines a spotlight on the Republicans' multi-million dollar effort to better target potential voters by utilizing big data. The move largely a response to the successes of the Barack Obama campaign in 2008, thought to have been the first data-driven campaign.

Comments

so, the repubs were right, there was massive voter fraud....

somehow, they don't seem as concerned now.....

#1 | Posted by kudzu at 2017-06-19 12:49 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

GOP is one of the worst things that has happened to the United States in modern history.

#2 | Posted by klifferd at 2017-06-19 11:53 PM | Reply

Trump Era GOP = Grabbers of P.....

Looks like Hillary took better care of her server.

#3 | Posted by Corky at 2017-06-20 12:18 AM | Reply

Klufferd, it's only been since Joe McCarthy, J Edgar Hoover, Dick Nixon, Barry Goldwater, Ronald Reagan, G Gordon Liddy, David Duke, Richard Mellon Scaife, the Koch brothers, Rush Limbaugh, Brent Bozell, Grover Norquist, Dick Cheney, Paul Wolfowitz, PNAC, and the religious right changed the GOP from it's conscientiously liberal roots into the most anti-liberal political organization in American history.

Old progressive Republicans lie Abe Lincoln, Janes Garfield, Ted Roosevelt, Nelson Rockefeller and Dwight Eisenhower all provided social leadership to protect the vulnerable.

en.m.wikipedia.org

en.m.wikipedia.org

#4 | Posted by Augustine at 2017-06-20 12:33 AM | Reply | Newsworthy 4

Augustine NAILED it. Republican politicians use to have a ton of credibility and had a strong character. Today, and ever since IKE, they've had neither.

.....and to the OP, it's not voter fraud you are talking about.... Its ELECTION FRAUD that the GOtP is knee deep in.

#5 | Posted by aborted_monson at 2017-06-20 05:06 AM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

What is the value of having my voter record?

#6 | Posted by eberly at 2017-06-20 07:20 AM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

"What is the value of having my voter record?"

They'd know who to prevent from voting. And they do. Kris Kobach should be in prison right now but he's not, no he's in charge of putting a voter suppression operation into effect not for one state, not for a few states but for all the states. I have no respect today for anyone who still identifies as a Republican. For too long they have depended upon gerrymandering, voter ID laws, Interstate Crosscheck and many other methods of suppressing the votes of legally registered voters and those who call themselves Republicans still try to justify it. And they all try to justify what they secretly know is voter suppression because they also secretly know it benefits their evil party.

#7 | Posted by danni at 2017-06-20 08:18 AM | Reply | Newsworthy 2

#8 | Posted by eberly at 2017-06-20 08:29 AM | Reply

What is the value of having your "voter record"? I don't know how it could prevent you from voting, but why don't you post your name, address, phone, and birthdate here (all info that was stolen) and we'll see if it will disrupt your life in any way. Then you can make your own determination on why this is important.

#9 | Posted by Sezu at 2017-06-20 08:53 AM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

#9 Phone and birthdate? That is a stretch.

#10 | Posted by fishpaw at 2017-06-20 09:33 AM | Reply

#7 | POSTED BY DANNI AT 2017-06-20 08:18 AM | FLAG:

What would anyone find out that you haven't already told everyone? You thought Hillary was a witch and Bernie was a savior until she stole the primary and you thought Hillary was the next best thing to sliced bread.

And by they way this was a contractor who the GOP had hired for data, it wasn't the GOP who gathered and then left it open. The DNC does the same thing with contractors so let's not get your panties all in a wad.

#11 | Posted by fishpaw at 2017-06-20 09:38 AM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

so is she...but it sure sounds sexy to say that having my voter information keeps me from voting or keeps you from voting.

#12 | Posted by eberly at 2017-06-20 09:49 AM | Reply

"but I don't think that's the angle of the republican party...to profit from the theft of my identity." - #12 | Posted by eberly at 2017-06-20 09:49 AM

You're right: It wasn't the "angle of the republican party" to profit from the theft of your identity.

But, according to the article, the data was in an unsecured server.

That means it was potentially vulnerable to hacking by people who are very interested in identity theft.

198,000,000 records of people, including their full name, street address and DOB, make a very tempting target for those whose angle is identity theft.

#13 | Posted by Hans at 2017-06-20 10:02 AM | Reply | Newsworthy 2

"so, you're concerned about identity theft? so am I. but I don't think that's the angle of the republican party...to profit from the theft of my identity. They want to steal an election(according to Danni) with my voting information and I'm trying to figure out how. "

Pretend I'm the only one who believes that if you want but it won't change the truth of it. The Republicans have consistently stolen elections, at least, since 2000. There have been several times that Republican officials have accidentally admitted it.

#14 | Posted by danni at 2017-06-20 10:06 AM | Reply

"Pretend I'm the only one who believes that if you want but it won't change the truth of it"

Pretend you know how they do it with my voter record.

It's a question...not a statement. I'm asking...and you can't answer. just move on instead of spewing conspiracy accusations.

It appears the only vulnerability mentioned is identity theft. Fair enough. Not that you could muster that. You're sticking with the idea having your voter record enables the GOP to steal an election.......but you have no idea how.

#15 | Posted by eberly at 2017-06-20 10:11 AM | Reply

Pretend you know how they do it with my voter record. "

You are not in the demographic that they target, they target by age through the use of voter ID laws because they know that many college students and elderly people don't have drivers licenses. That's why college IDs are not acceptable at the polls but gun registration are. They do it by ethnicity though Interstate Crosscheck based on the fact that first and last names are so much more likely to be common to many people among blacks, hispanics and asians. They purposely ignore middle names, SS numbers and suffixes like Jr. because that would prevent their system from disenfranchising the people they absolutely do want disenfranchised. You can deny it all you want Eberly, this has been going for many years and is well documented. Hell, the SC is going to now hear the case of gerrymandering in Wisconsin because it was so egregious.

#16 | Posted by danni at 2017-06-20 10:29 AM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

#2 | POSTED BY KLIFFERD

The 2006, 2008 elections were won by Democrats. But, that doesn't count, right?

#17 | Posted by LastAmerican at 2017-06-20 10:38 AM | Reply

"The 2006, 2008 elections were won by Democrats. But, that doesn't count, right?"

Yeah, because the Democrats overwhelmed the Republicans. Anyone remember Karl Rove's reaction on election night in 2008? He counted on stealing the vote in several states but apparently Anonymous prevented him from succeeding. His reaction was so obviously in disbelief that his plot had failed that everyone could see it plain as day. I'll be honest with you though, in real life I won't even dignify an argument that the elections in this country aren't being stolen. I'll just tell the person making that argument that they are either a liar or stupid and I have done that on quite a few occasions, I can't tolerate listening to such dishonest arguments. Hey, anyone hear the MSM discuss Greg Palast and Interstate Crosscheck? Nope and you never will.

#18 | Posted by danni at 2017-06-20 10:45 AM | Reply

"You can deny it all you want Eberly"

I'm not denying anything.

Learn to read.

#19 | Posted by eberly at 2017-06-20 10:48 AM | Reply

#18 | POSTED BY DANNI

But you didn't see why I was responding to Klifford.

#20 | Posted by LastAmerican at 2017-06-20 10:56 AM | Reply

"What is the value of having my voter record?"

"They'd know who to prevent from voting.
#7 | POSTED BY DANNI"

Kind of, if they surmised. The reason this information is useful to these groups, Eberly, is because it shows who votes. It DOES NOT include information about who you voted for, but it does include your biographical data, political affiliation (if any), and whether you voted in past elections, and which ones.

I'll throw a bone to Danni: There is no reason to spend resources suppressing the vote of people who do not vote. There is a reason to target "get out the vote" efforts on people who are likely to support your candidate (for instance, they are in your preferred political party) but who have not yet cast a vote or historically don't always vote. (Whether you have cast a ballot is public information that is available close to real time. That's why I vote (by mail, in Oregon) right after I get my ballot. If I wait, I'll start getting calls from friendly progressives, encouraging me to vote.

#21 | Posted by mOntecOre at 2017-06-20 11:07 AM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

"Each record lists a voter's name, date of birth, home address, phone number, and voter registration details, such as which political party a person is registered with. The data also includes "profiling" information, voter ethnicities and religions, and various other kinds of information pertinent to a voter's political persuasions and preferences, as modeled by the firms' data scientists, in order to better target political advertising."

Name, address, phone number is in the phone book. I'm curious about the date of birth - was it secured from the voting record, the voting registration, or some other source. 'Ethnicities and religions and various other kinds of information' - sounds like pure data mining.

A lot of this information can be gathered from the internet - a lot of it for free and some for minimal charges.

I found my date of birth online so it seems that was way to easy to find.

Based on the data I can find on myself from all kinds of online sources, this was a treasure trove in the sense it was all in one place - compared to a bit of research to find it myself.

#22 | Posted by Petrous at 2017-06-20 11:10 AM | Reply

"You are so proud of that, aren't you.... and we are still cleaning up after all that too. We are still cleaning up after Clinton's economic faux pas too (2007/2008 crash) and the Obama Democrats caused this to cascade. Slowest recovery in American history. Increased poverty levels dramatically.
#20 | POSTED BY LASTAMERICAN"

That was the problem? No mention of W's War of Choice in the Middle East, that has cost us a few trillion and counting? You're an idiot.

#23 | Posted by mOntecOre at 2017-06-20 11:10 AM | Reply

That's why I vote (by mail, in Oregon) right after I get my ballot. If I wait, I'll start getting calls from friendly progressives, encouraging me to vote. Last time, I was offered a carton of smokes, a fifth of vodka and a free ride to the polling station if I agreed to vote a Democratic, straight-party ticket.

#21 | POSTED BY MONTECORE

#24 | Posted by JeffJ at 2017-06-20 11:11 AM | Reply

"Not a good thing - but based on what's online, this is just one treasure trove available for harvesting.
#22 | POSTED BY PETROUS"

That's crazy talk. Do you have any idea how much it would cost to hire people to data mine 200 million people to determine their religion, ethnicity, etc.?

#25 | Posted by mOntecOre at 2017-06-20 11:12 AM | Reply | Newsworthy 2

"Last time, I was offered a carton of smokes, a fifth of vodka and a free ride to the polling station if I agreed to vote a Democratic, straight-party ticket.
#24 | POSTED BY JEFFJ"

Clearly you don't know what is used to bribe people in Oregon.

420 Blaze It

#26 | Posted by mOntecOre at 2017-06-20 11:14 AM | Reply

#23 | POSTED BY MONTECORE

If you believe the false narrative.

The purpose of the war was economic and it has not only stabilized the world economy, it's kept it going in a positive direction.

#27 | Posted by LastAmerican at 2017-06-20 11:16 AM | Reply

#25 | POSTED BY MONTECORE

It's already been done. I have found that my information has been sold all over the place. I get junk mail from people and companies I've never heard of. It's constant. I have no trouble starting my grill, fire pit, or fireplace ever.

Data mining is computerized. It doesn't take anywhere near what it may have 30-40 years ago. It's at your fingertips. At this point, what else is there to find out. My shopping for groceries is in full detail, and with food markets I've never been to - but they know I like cheezits

#28 | Posted by Petrous at 2017-06-20 11:19 AM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

What do you expect from the filth who couldn't even keep The Pentagon in one piece.

#29 | Posted by reinheitsgebot at 2017-06-20 11:22 AM | Reply

Leave it to Special Eddie to claim that Shrub's great recession kept the world economy going in a positive direction.

#30 | Posted by reinheitsgebot at 2017-06-20 11:29 AM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

#18 | POSTED BY DANNI AT 2017-06-20 10:45 AM | FLAG:

Crosscheck,blah,blah,blah, Crosscheck. A. I have never heard from or about someone who said they could not vote. B. If you can not vote in this day and age you are a moron and your vote should not be counted anyway. C. Danni must be running out of tin foil by now.

#31 | Posted by fishpaw at 2017-06-20 12:01 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

I have never heard from or about someone who said they could not vote.

#31 | POSTED BY FISHPAW AT 2017-06-20 12:01 PM | REPLY

Then you have been willfully avoiding actual news.

The GOP even brags about it

www.thedailybeast.com

#32 | Posted by hatter5183 at 2017-06-20 12:16 PM | Reply

"I have never heard from or about someone who said they could not vote." - #31 | Posted by fishpaw at 2017-06-20 12:01 PM

With no photo IDs, nuns denied ballots in Indiana

At least 10 retired nuns in South Bend, Ind., were barred from voting in Tuesday's Indiana Democratic primary election because they lacked photo IDs required under a state law that the Supreme Court upheld last week.

Strange, but not unexpected, that you would admit to being clueless.

Did you ever figure out how to read calendar dates?

#33 | Posted by Hans at 2017-06-20 12:34 PM | Reply

If it isn't already, voter registration information should be public record.

#34 | Posted by visitor_ at 2017-06-20 12:46 PM | Reply

It is.

#35 | Posted by Hans at 2017-06-20 12:50 PM | Reply

"What was the purpose of that war? You can't answer it and you call me an idiot. You're a fool.
#27 | POSTED BY LASTAMERICAN"

You are part right. The purpose was economic. The economic purpose was to make billions of dollars for companies that W and his Vice President were heavily invested in. Mission accomplished!

(If you don't believe me, answer why massive amounts of infrastructure like oil refineries and water treatment plants were bombed to smithereens and then quickly rebuilt by Halliburton et al. at American taxpayer expense.)

#36 | Posted by mOntecOre at 2017-06-20 01:07 PM | Reply

""...voter registration information should be public record." - #34 | Posted by visitor_ at 2017-06-20 12:46 PM
It is.
#35 | POSTED BY HANS"

#37 | Posted by mOntecOre at 2017-06-20 01:08 PM | Reply

"I don't think birth dates are part of this public record, and I know religious affiliations and similar information is not." - #37 | Posted by mOntecOre at 2017-06-20 01:08 PM

Agreed, mOntecOre.

Although "religious affiliation" is foreign to me, as far as voter registration is concerned.

Looking at my voter registration card, my DOB is there, along with the date I originally registered to vote (in the county where I live), my complete name, address, and party affiliation (I live in a "closed primary" state).

#38 | Posted by Hans at 2017-06-20 01:19 PM | Reply

"Crosscheck,blah,blah,blah, Crosscheck. A. I have never heard from or about someone who said they could not vote. "

Since you only listen to or watch conservative media you would never hear of it but guess what Brainiac things do happen whether or not you year about it.

#39 | Posted by danni at 2017-06-20 01:35 PM | Reply

#39 Sure Danni, keep clinging to that stolen election and voter suppression excuse instead of the truth that your candidate was an unwanted fraud. Not surprising that you live in your "Truth TV" bubble which like Air American might make it a couple more months.

#40 | Posted by fishpaw at 2017-06-20 02:09 PM | Reply | Funny: 1

#41 | Posted by fishpaw at 2017-06-20 02:09 PM | Reply | Funny: 1

"...your candidate was an unwanted fraud." - #41 | Posted by fishpaw at 2017-06-20 02:09 PM

Who got 3,000,000 more popular votes.

How's that learning about calendar dates coming along?

#42 | Posted by Hans at 2017-06-20 02:25 PM | Reply

"so, the repubs were right, there was massive voter fraud...."
How is it fraud to have a list of voters.
No way they could know how you voted because thats private and not logged. Even the state doesn't keep that.

Sounds like it was just a PD list they got from the states of registered voters indexed with the call list they had.

#43 | Posted by tmaster at 2017-06-20 02:27 PM | Reply

Who got 3,000,000 more popular votes.
How's that learning about calendar dates coming along?

#42 | POSTED BY HANS AT 2017-06-20 02:25 PM | FLAG:

A little better than your knowledge of how elections are won but I wouldn't want to slow up your tantrums.

#44 | Posted by fishpaw at 2017-06-20 02:35 PM | Reply

"A little better than your knowledge of how elections are won..." - #44 | Posted by fishpaw at 2017-06-20 02:35 PM

I know how (presidential) elections are won.

But I wasn't the one who called Secretary Clinton "unwanted."

That was you.

My retort was to highlight the absurdity of your "unwanted" comment by pointing out the fact that Secretary Clinton got 3,000,000 more popular votes, hardly making her "unwanted."

And how are we to know that you've figured out how to tell calendar dates?

Lots and lots of posters pointed out you couldn't.

#45 | Posted by Hans at 2017-06-20 02:41 PM | Reply

Keep clinging to that one Hans along with Russia and obstruction. If Hillary was wanted as the President she would be the President. Too bad she spent all her time in the big Democratic states that she already had locked up celebrating instead of working to win in the states that she needed. And to think that she and her supporters like you say that Trump is an idiot.

#46 | Posted by fishpaw at 2017-06-20 02:52 PM | Reply

8 | POSTED BY EBERLY

If i have information on all the voters then I, let's say I work for the Secretary of State, could use that data to influence where polling places are located and how much resources each location is allocated. I may decide that we need to reduce the number of polling places and votings booth in areas where the voters are predominantly not from my party. This forces longer lines and deters people from voting in those locations. I could also use that data to target trimming of voter rolls.

#47 | Posted by johnny_hotsauce at 2017-06-20 03:43 PM | Reply

Johnny, without the information of my nor your nor anybody else's voting record, I could get into a car and drive pretty much anywhere in the country and find voting locations that are predominately in the party I want to target and pull any shenanigans I want if I have the authority.

I don't need the voting records.

making it hard to vote in certain places by reducing the number of places to vote and making lines too long is something that's done locally and doesn't require that information.

It's not a mystery where to go to do this.

#48 | Posted by eberly at 2017-06-20 03:51 PM | Reply

#47 The trend is absentee voting, the Dems are working on how to get those ballets before they are counted.

#49 | Posted by fishpaw at 2017-06-20 04:04 PM | Reply

"the Dems are working on how to get those ballets before they are counted." - #49 | Posted by fishpaw at 2017-06-20 04:04 PM

When all else fails, lie.

You know, there's help for your calendar challenge.

#50 | Posted by Hans at 2017-06-20 04:07 PM | Reply

They do it by ethnicity though Interstate Crosscheck ... this has been going for many years and is well documented. Hell, the SC is going to now hear the case of gerrymandering in Wisconsin because it was so egregious.
#16 | Posted by danni

#18 | Posted by danni

Know why MSM doesn't pick up Palast's claims? Because it's a BS conspiracy theory. His conclusions have zero credibility with anyone except like minded conspiracy theorists.

Riddle me this, Danni. Pending in the SC is an Ohio voter list purge case. It pretty much touches all of Palast's hot buttons. What is missing in that case? Any mention of Interstate Crosscheck. Why?

The answer is Palast is full of BS conspiracy theorist.

BTW, you got the reason for the SC taking up the WI gerrymandering case wrong. Has nothing to do with "egregious" gerrymandering and everything to do with the lower court using a novel partisan gerrymandering standard not approved by the SC.

#51 | Posted by et_al at 2017-06-20 06:10 PM | Reply

"Why would the ACLU, who represents the plaintiffs, leave that out? After all, it is abundantly clear they know about Crosscheck because the ACLU investigated it in PA three years ago. That investigation died on the vine. Wonder why?
The answer is Palast is full of BS conspiracy theorist."

Are you saying they don't use CrossCheck in Ohio?
If not, then what?

From your link, and I realize this is regarding PA, but why doesn't it apply to OH:
"The Department of State has refused to share with the ACLU information about how Pennsylvania intends to purge voters identified as potential duplicates by the Interstate Crosscheck Voter Registration Program."

How are they gonna use the information if they can't get it?

#52 | Posted by snoofy at 2017-06-20 06:20 PM | Reply

"and everything to do with the lower court using a novel partisan gerrymandering standard not approved by the SC."

I didn't realize we had an approved Gerrymandering standard.
What is it?
Is it Anything Goes, so long as it doesn't run afoul of some other law, such as the Voting Rights Act or the Civil Rights Act?

#53 | Posted by snoofy at 2017-06-20 06:24 PM | Reply

Et_Al
To assess the impact (if any) CrossCheck is having, I think it is necessary to know things like:
How many CrossCheck letters were sent out.
What was the final disposition of each CrossCheck letter event, including any adjustments.
How many "inactives" voted.
etc. etc.

#54 | Posted by snoofy at 2017-06-20 06:27 PM | Reply

#8 | Posted by eberly

This is how repubs win. By cheating. Then they strut around claiming their victories prove they have the support of the american people.

#55 | Posted by SpeakSoftly at 2017-06-20 06:35 PM | Reply

#49 | Posted by fishpaw

It certainly is, and there is much higher fraud rate with absentee voting. But repubs don't care about that fraud, because absentee ballots favor repubs. They only want to stop the NONEXISTENT in-person voter fraud, because that makes it harder for dems to vote.

If you can't win because you agenda only helps billionaires, then CHEAT.

#56 | Posted by SpeakSoftly at 2017-06-20 06:37 PM | Reply

"Lets try again.....how does having my voter record prevent me or anybody else from voting?
#8 | Posted by eberly"

The same way a national gun database threatens your Second Amendment rights.
Personally I don't see it, but maybe this helps. /s

I guess one way idea is they will gerrymander you into irrelevancy, though that's probably happened already.

#57 | Posted by snoofy at 2017-06-20 07:39 PM | Reply

"The same way a national gun database threatens your Second Amendment rights."

How is that the same?

#58 | Posted by eberly at 2017-06-20 08:08 PM | Reply

Gerrymandering?

Yeah.....already been done and without need of individual voting records.

#59 | Posted by eberly at 2017-06-20 08:09 PM | Reply

"Well if there are enough people with voting records they don't like in one area, and they control the local government, they can reduce the number of polling places to make you have to wait in a long frustrating line and hopefully decide it's not worth it."

That is sort of a strange scenario. Why would local government try to disenfranchise the people who put them in office?

#60 | Posted by DirkStruan at 2017-06-20 08:17 PM | Reply

#60 | Posted by DirkStruan

"Local" meaning state. Red states put a lot of work and strategy into preventing liberals from voting.

#61 | Posted by SpeakSoftly at 2017-06-20 08:19 PM | Reply

#61 Interesting, how about a legit example.

#62 | Posted by fishpaw at 2017-06-21 09:18 AM | Reply

Hillary took better care LMAO if she wasn't a Clinton she would be in jail

#63 | Posted by WTFIGO at 2017-06-21 12:43 PM | Reply

#61 Interesting, how about a legit example.

#62 | Posted by fishpaw