Sunday, June 18, 2017

FLYING can be a stressful and nerve-wracking experience. For those with mental-health issues it must be doubly so. One way in which vulnerable travellers deal with their anxiety on a plane is to take on board an "emotional support animal" (ESA). Such creatures provide succour for their owners. Unlike guide dogs, they "do not require any kind of specialised training," according to CertaPet, an organisation that provides such services. "In fact," reckons CertaPet, "very little training is required at all, provided that the animal in question is reasonably well behaved by normal standards." That sounds like an easy and effective way to help sufferers. It was distressing to read, therefore, of the emotional support dog that mauled a passenger on Delta flight from Atlanta to San Diego earlier this week.

Alternate links: Google News | Twitter

Reports suggest that the dog, a labrador-pointer cross-breed, was accompanying a military veteran, who was sitting in a middle seat. The animal apparently snarled at the passenger sitting by the window, who asked several times whether it was about to bite him. It duly did, leaving the unfortunate victim bleeding profusely from the face and in need of hospital treatment. The animal's owner was later seen in the terminal, reportedly weeping, concerned that the dog would be destroyed. In fact, both the owner and the canine were later allowed onto another flight, though this time with the dog in a travel box.

In order to fly with an ESA, passengers need a letter from a licensed mental-health professional. But one organisation, Service Dog Central, thinks that there is still some discrimination, compared with people who travel with guide dogs, for example. According to the organisation "it is not fair that people with PSDs [Psychiatric Service Dogs] are treated differently than those with other sorts of service dogs but they are and this is written into regulatory law."

Interestingly, the organisation blames "fakers" for the problem. The issue came to prominence a couple of years back, after an "emotional support pig" (the beasts do not have to be canine) caused havoc on a US Airways flight, "relieving itself in the aisle and grunting while the woman tried to stow her carry-on."

Comments

There should be more guidelines on this issue because the situation regarding carry-on, non-crated animals on airplanes has become pretty ridiculous.

#1 | Posted by GOnoles92 at 2017-06-18 01:09 PM | Reply

My emotional support animal is my wife, does that count? She can sit on my lap.

#2 | Posted by bored at 2017-06-18 03:12 PM | Reply

"Emotional Support Pig" is the perfect name for a punk band.

#3 | Posted by HeliumRat at 2017-06-18 06:06 PM | Reply

if you have to ask, then yes.
otherwise, no.

#4 | Posted by ichiro at 2017-06-18 08:14 PM | Reply

I fly a lot.

Sometimes there is a dog on the flight.

I will smack the **** out of some idiot and their dog if either of them threaten me.

E I E I O

#5 | Posted by MrSilenceDogood at 2017-06-19 01:27 AM | Reply

Self defense laws (i.e. stand your ground), that you deride, afford you that option.

#6 | Posted by et_al at 2017-06-19 02:08 AM | Reply

The reason there is discrimination against ESA's is because of the lack of training.

When is the last time you heard about someone being mauled by a "real" service dog? Due to blind in-laws I have spent a lot of time around service dogs and I have never seen one growl, snarl etc. even when they aren't harnessed. At home with their harness off they will bark at perceived threats to the house but even then they are so highly trained that a simple "no noise" and they stop immediately.

I have no problem with people using ESA's especially if they have a note from a doctor. However they either need to go through a service dog training regimen or accept that they don't get the same rights as trained service dogs.

#7 | Posted by TaoWarrior at 2017-06-19 06:58 AM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

Yeah that is what air travel needs. Not bigger seats or more room. Free roam animals. Making amtrak look preferable.

#8 | Posted by 726 at 2017-06-19 09:39 AM | Reply

Should animals be allowed to roam freely on jets?

#9 | Posted by JeffJ at 2017-06-19 10:04 AM | Reply

ESA?

get them a fidget spinner....LOL

#10 | Posted by eberly at 2017-06-19 10:14 AM | Reply

"There should be more REGULATIONs on this issue because the situation regarding carry-on, non-crated animals on airplanes has become pretty ridiculous."

#11 | Posted by danni at 2017-06-19 10:18 AM | Reply

"Not bigger seats or more room"

You just know that these people requiring an animal are fatties.

#12 | Posted by eberly at 2017-06-19 10:21 AM | Reply

get them a fidget spinner....LOL

Posted by eberly at 2017-06-19 10:14 AM | Reply

You're from my part of the country. What did we stick on the ends of pencils and twirl around like a fidget spinner??? For the life of me I can't remember.

#13 | Posted by LauraMohr at 2017-06-19 10:21 AM | Reply

rulers

www.google.com

#14 | Posted by eberly at 2017-06-19 10:23 AM | Reply | Funny: 1

rulers

www.google.com

Posted by eberly at 2017-06-19 10:23 AM | Reply

Yessssssssssss Now I feel real dumb. THANKS.

#15 | Posted by LauraMohr at 2017-06-19 10:25 AM | Reply

Half the class in elementary school used to spin rulers. When I would read in college many times I'd have a Wheel-O going. What an old random memory. Now I want to get one again.

As for flying - order a bourbon soda and leave the animal at home. You'll both be happier.

#16 | Posted by JimDuncan at 2017-06-19 12:06 PM | Reply

Picture an emergency egress situation where people are already pushing and shoving in panic to get out and then possibly tripping over a dog? Just not a smart idea from a safety POV.

#17 | Posted by MSgt at 2017-06-19 12:53 PM | Reply

I'd hate to think what would happen if something startled my emotional support grizzly bear.

#18 | Posted by visitor_ at 2017-06-19 04:47 PM | Reply

Deplorables should still be allowed to fly.

#19 | Posted by donnerboy at 2017-06-19 07:44 PM | Reply | Funny: 1

#6 | POSTED BY ET_AL AT 2017-06-19 02:08 AM |

About that.

If I ever punched you in your suck hole you would surely press charges on me when you woke up.

I would be charged with assault, would do a day or 2 in jail with a bunch of them suspended, I would pay a fine, and that would be that.

You would probably be able to come after me for damages. A bootlicker pants pissing bawl baby ***** like you surely would so I would also have to deal with that.

If you were a black child though and I said I was scared of you before I stalked and then murdered you I would be able to sell the gun the I smoked you with to one of your klansman friends for a few hundred thousand dollars.

No jail time. No fine.

One of us thinks that's the way it should be...

#20 | Posted by MrSilenceDogood at 2017-06-19 08:07 PM | Reply

which were example before redundant "feel good" SYG laws.

#21 | Posted by ichiro at 2017-06-19 08:47 PM | Reply

I have had it with these ------------- comfort pets on this ------------- plane!!!!

#22 | Posted by bored at 2017-06-19 11:14 PM | Reply | Funny: 5

I'm going to give that a "Funny" flag, although that will look strange after it gets censored.

#23 | Posted by Danforth at 2017-06-19 11:16 PM | Reply

"get them a fidget spinner....LOL"

Get them a valium...when did people start thinking animals were a suitable replacement for drugs when afraid to fly???

#24 | Posted by madbomber at 2017-06-20 08:17 PM | Reply

No, animals should not be allowed to roam freely on planes. There is a huge difference between having compassion for people with mental health issues and allowing people with mental health issues to decide what is reasonable and what is not.

#25 | Posted by Sully at 2017-06-21 09:53 AM | Reply