Saturday, June 17, 2017

A new study has warned that third-party trackers litter banking websites and the privacy-invading tech is being used to rate surfers' creditworthiness. Among the top 10 financial institution websites visited in the US and UK, there are 110 third-party trackers snooping on surfers each time they visit. Online privacy firm eBlocker reports that PNC Bank has roughly 33 trackers, making it the biggest snoop. By comparison, HSBC had only two and JPMorgan Chase had nine. Other figures include TD Bank (20), BNY Mellon (14), US Bank (9), Bank of America (6), Citibank (6), Capital One (6) and Wells Fargo (5). "By allowing third-party trackers to access our financial data, we're letting banks and lenders make the decision to approve or disapprove loans or credit applications before we even request or apply for one," eBlocker reports.

Comments

So basically, never use Internet for any reason.

#1 | Posted by cbob at 2017-06-17 06:33 PM | Reply

*the* Internet.

#2 | Posted by cbob at 2017-06-17 06:34 PM | Reply

@#1 ... So basically, never use Internet for any reason.

That's one approach. Another is the "shields up" approach. I tend towards the latter.

I use the Ghostery plugin for my browser. I configure it so that it blocks the trackers, and does a pretty good job at it.

#3 | Posted by LampLighter at 2017-06-17 06:46 PM | Reply

Hey, thanks for the tip, Lamplighter. I'm going to look into it.

#4 | Posted by cbob at 2017-06-17 07:11 PM | Reply

I too use Ghostery as well as Ad Blocker Plus. Ghostery will sometimes block video players. It's easy to find and unblock the player if needed.

My credit union has 1 tracker on the main site, Google Analytics. It has zero on its online banking site.

#5 | Posted by et_al at 2017-06-17 07:24 PM | Reply

Install ublock, noscript, https-everywhere, and maybe even self-destructing cookies and requestpolicy addons if you are worried about malicious trackers and/or connections. That ought to get rid of most of them, although having to individually approve each connection request (with requestpolicy) can be a bit of a PITA, I admit.

#6 | Posted by wj112358 at 2017-06-17 08:46 PM | Reply

do not trust adblock in any of its forms, friends:

www.engadget.com

#7 | Posted by wj112358 at 2017-06-17 08:48 PM | Reply

@#6 ... Install ublock, noscript, https-everywhere ...

I take a different approach...

I install privoxy and squid as http proxies on my home network. Then I point all the browsers I use to them as the proxy.

One point for configuration. So much simpler.

#8 | Posted by LampLighter at 2017-06-17 09:48 PM | Reply

do not trust adblock in any of its forms, friends:

Click ABP icon, click Filter Preferences, click Filter subscriptions tab, uncheck "Allow some non-intrusive advertising"

Pays to learn how the software you install actually works. Wonder why the self professed "original home for technology news and reviews" didn't just tell you that? Paid otherwise?

#9 | Posted by et_al at 2017-06-17 11:35 PM | Reply

Banking Websites Littered with Trackers

And Drumph's white house is littered with bankers.

And the repub congress just voted to destroy the consumer protection bureau. Cause you know, helping banks screw americans is the way to make america great again.

#10 | Posted by SpeakSoftly at 2017-06-18 02:37 PM | Reply