Friday, June 16, 2017

Jeronimo Yanez, the Minnesota police officer who fatally shot Philando Castile during a traffic stop last year, was found not guilty of second-degree manslaughter Friday. He also was acquitted of two counts of intentional discharge of firearm that endangers safety. Castile's death garnered widespread attention -- and sparked nationwide protests over the use of force by police -- after his girlfriend broadcast the shooting's aftermath on Facebook Live. Several members of the Castile family screamed profanities and cried after the verdicts were announced, despite warnings from the judge that everyone in the courtroom should remain composed. "Let me go!" yelled Castile's mother, Valerie. The families of Castile and Yanez were escorted out of separate courtroom exits. At least 13 officers were present in the small courtroom when the verdicts were read.

Alternate links: Google News | Twitter

Philando Castile Found Guilty of Having a CCW Whilst Black.

Comments

No one asked her to be black. Disgusting verdict. Not justice. But then, many of us have ceased to expect justice in America. Truthfully though, I don't really know when there was justice in America. Nothing has changed for 200 years. If you have money there is one system of justice, if you don't there is another.

#1 | Posted by danni at 2017-06-17 07:47 AM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

Philando Castile told the cop he had a legally carried gun. Nobody would do that if they were planning to shoot.

There's no justice for black people killed by police in this country. Police will always protect their own in how they conduct an investigation. Prosecutors will always be reluctant to pursue charges. Juries will always let them skate.

As long as a cop says the magic words "I felt threatened," it's over.

#2 | Posted by rcade at 2017-06-17 09:37 AM | Reply | Newsworthy 4

He was polite.

He complied.

They murdered him anyway.

And they got away with it.

#3 | Posted by MrSilenceDogood at 2017-06-17 10:19 AM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

The guy was put on trial, found guilty, and executed, all by the same person for the high crime of having a permit to carry a gun while black.

#4 | Posted by MrSilenceDogood at 2017-06-17 10:20 AM | Reply

#2 | POSTED BY RCADE

It's a shame there's no "Sad" flag.

#5 | Posted by TFDNihilist at 2017-06-17 11:12 AM | Reply

The nice thing about this story is that his gun functioned exactly as intended. It protected him from a tyrranical government.

#6 | Posted by snoofy at 2017-06-17 11:31 AM | Reply

- As long as a cop says the magic words "I felt threatened," it's over.

You don't even have to be a cop here in FL for that to werk.

#7 | Posted by Corky at 2017-06-17 11:31 AM | Reply

My CCW instructor taught us to tell the officer if you were carrying or not.
That you had a permit.
Seems like this cop was like that Cali. Cop trash Dutch that used to post here.

#8 | Posted by HanoverFist at 2017-06-17 12:30 PM | Reply

I was somewhere on the east coast back in the winter. I travel too much to remember where. Massachusetts or Rhode Island, maybe New Hampshire. I was in a place getting a salad and I struck up conversation with a visibly spooked cop.

Pretty young kid. Early 20s. I say to him "Is everything going your way out there??" because he sounded hopeless. He kept one hand on his hip, the hip with the gun strapped to it, through the entire conversation.

He told me "No it's not going my way.. Seen the news??" At one point he was just shy of bowing up on me.

I have no idea why. I'm a pretty big and ugly dude. I wasn't threatening him in any way though.

At any point when he got testy I blew him off. Let him know he might just be taking himself a bit too seriously.

I paid for my **** and told them to keep my tab open and "cover whatever my dear friend with the cheesy cop stache needed" loud enough for everyone in the place to hear it.

I shook his hand, looked him in the eye, thanked him, and told him he was cuter than a button in his little outfit.

I hope he grows up fast and doesn't kill anyone over nothing. He definitely seemed like the type.

#9 | Posted by MrSilenceDogood at 2017-06-17 01:43 PM | Reply

As long as a cop says the magic words "I felt threatened," it's over.

#2 | Posted by rcade at 2017-06-17 09:37 AM | Reply |

I doubt the letter of the law actually allows cops to shoot people over feelings. I don't know what instructions juries in these cases are given but it seems to me that they should be told to distinguish between whether the cop was scared and whether the cop faced an actual threat that warranted deadly force.

Maybe I'm wrong and the laws need to be re-written but I think the problem is that the people entrusted with enforcing the law have decided to do whatever they hell they want when the defendant is a police officer.

#10 | Posted by Sully at 2017-06-17 03:17 PM | Reply

As long as a cop says the magic words "I felt threatened," it's over.
#2 | POSTED BY RCADE

You should hope you never get into a similar situation that cop was in.

If that gun was registered, he should have known not to pull it out, especially if a cop tells you not to. This could have easily gone the other way and become just another cop getting shot statistic.

#11 | Posted by LastAmerican at 2017-06-17 04:18 PM | Reply | Funny: 2

" he should have known not to pull it out, especially if a cop tells you not to."

Castile DIDN'T pull out his gun. Your lie is a pernicious one, borne either of ignorance or cruelty.

#12 | Posted by Danforth at 2017-06-17 04:46 PM | Reply

#11 | POSTED BY LASTAMERICAN

he didn't pull the gun out. And to say that this could have easily ended up with a cop getting shot implies that there are conceal/carry holders out there just looking for an opportunity to kill a cop.

#13 | Posted by johnny_hotsauce at 2017-06-17 04:47 PM | Reply

If a cop is "afraid" then maybe they need to find a new line of work. If it were dark out, that's another story, beciause you can't see, but this was broad daylight. If you don't see a weapon in broad daylight, shooting should not be justified. This was definitely a BS outcome. And where is the NRA to defend Philando's second amendment rights?! Wayne LaPierre where are you? The things that make you go "Hmmmm"...

#14 | Posted by babyhuey at 2017-06-17 04:50 PM | Reply

#13 | POSTED BY JOHNNY_HOTSAUCE

To be clear, this is what I responded to:

"An audio recording captured Castile telling Yanez he had a gun in the car, and the officer telling Castile not to reach for it. Seconds later, Yanez opened fire. Yanez, a St. Anthony officer, testified he feared for his life because Castile put his hand on his firearm, not his wallet or identification papers, and was pulling the gun from his pocket."

So, chances are that he did have his hand on his weapon or reached for it, albeit it could have been an innocent reaction.

To your other point, part of carrying legally is knowing the rules, one being, don't touch your weapon around a cop esp. if he instructs you not to.

#15 | Posted by LastAmerican at 2017-06-17 05:28 PM | Reply | Funny: 2

#16 You say I have no,clue, yet offer no support for that assertion? I have plenty of a clue. I grew up in a city where police brutality was common as there was no Facebook Live and cops lied for each other to cover their abuses. Games up! First, the cops tried to say they couldn't be filmed, grabbed people's cameras, etc. They lost that fight in the courts, thank God. I am not foolish enough to believe civilized society could exist without police, but we don't need police officers who bully the public they are supposed to protect. I support the good cops but not the bully cops or cowards with hair triggers that "fear for their lives"...

#18 | Posted by babyhuey at 2017-06-17 08:00 PM | Reply

So, chances are that he did have his hand on his weapon or reached for it ...

"Chances are" is not proof, ---- -----.

There's no proof Castile reached for his gun. He would not have told the officer he had the gun before attempting to draw it. Your scenario makes no sense.

You should hope you never get into a similar situation that cop was in.

Any competent cop wouldn't have been in his situation. He handled things so badly he was fired.

So don't play the "walk in a cop's shoes" card. Cops know he screwed this up.

#19 | Posted by rcade at 2017-06-17 08:42 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

#15 | POSTED BY LASTAMERICAN

Well except for the facts that the gun remained in his pocket, the forensics presented at the trial do not support his hand was near the gun, and the the recording referenced in the quote you posted went on to record Yanez saying "I don't know where the gun was". In addition, Officer Joseph Kauser said he did not see a gun from the other side of the car either.

Yanez only said he saw Castile put his hand on the gun much later.

#20 | Posted by johnny_hotsauce at 2017-06-17 09:19 PM | Reply

"I don't know what instructions juries in these cases are given but it seems to me that they should be told to distinguish between whether the cop was scared and whether the cop faced an actual threat that warranted deadly force."

Nice try, but the defense is that the cops are experts at distinguishing actual threats as part of their training. They can detect threats that the jury might not perceive at first.

#21 | Posted by snoofy at 2017-06-18 02:28 AM | Reply

I wish the public could accept the fact that cops are not all good at the job. Some make mistakes so huge they should be legally accountable for them.

#22 | Posted by rcade at 2017-06-18 10:04 AM | Reply

"You should hope you never get into a similar situation that cop was in."

What a drama queen. Literally every American has been in the presence of someone who is legally carrying a firearm.

#23 | Posted by Sully at 2017-06-18 05:28 PM | Reply

"That logic is circular. The cop detected a threat because he's trained to detect a threat, so if he felt threatened he must have been threatened."

The law doesn't mind that the logic surrounding expert witnesses testifying as experts on their own behalf.

It's circular, but that's how it works.

"Every police department in the U.S. should have an independent police review board."

In my opinion that just silently condones the police state, by pretending we have a mechanism that holds it accountable.

Seeing as this is a civil rights problem, and it mostly affects blacks, I don't think anything short of Federal intervention will change it. Just like last time in the Civil Rights era, and the time before that, the Civil War

#24 | Posted by snoofy at 2017-06-18 10:11 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

#24 | Posted by snoofy

...and the next time, and the time after that. This county was formed based on the acceptance of the idea that people from Africa were not entirely human, were properly and legally considered property to be disposed of in any manner the owner wished, including rape, torture and murder. Everything from the Electoral College, to the 2nd Amendment, to the 10th Amendment ("states rights") was designed to support that reality. It is woven into the fabric of the country. It is America's "Original Sin" and it will never be forgiven until it is repented.

#25 | Posted by WhoDaMan at 2017-06-19 08:07 PM | Reply