Friday, June 16, 2017

What we are living through in America is not only a division but a great estrangement. It is between those who support Donald Trump and those who despise him, between left and right, between the two parties, and even to some degree between the bases of those parties and their leaders in Washington. It is between the religious and those who laugh at Your Make Believe Friend, between cultural progressives and those who wish not to have progressive ways imposed upon them. It is between the coasts and the center, between those in flyover country and those who decide what flyover will watch on television next season. It is between "I accept the court's decision" and "Bake my cake." We look down on each other, fear each other, increasingly hate each other.

Oh, to have a unifying figure, program or party.

But we don't, nor is there any immediate prospect.

Comments

This is Peggy Noonan writing in WSJ.

Hopefully, the link doesn't ask for a subscription. WSJ links sometimes do that. I found this article at RealClearPolitics and was able to read it in its entirety.

It's a thought-provoking piece, IMO.

#1 | Posted by JeffJ at 2017-06-16 09:10 AM | Reply

Trump's presidency is intensifying attitudes and behavior that has been around since at least 2000.

#2 | Posted by Sully at 2017-06-16 09:51 AM | Reply

Who could have predicted that the most divisive, hate-filled campaign and politician ever, would divide and enrage folks? You built this Republicans, though you will never take responsibility.

#3 | Posted by TFDNihilist at 2017-06-16 11:14 AM | Reply | Newsworthy 2

>>Hopefully, the link doesn't ask for a subscription

It does. And. It's making me EXTREMELY ANGRY!

THANKS JEFF!

*snaps pencil*

#5 | Posted by schifferbrains at 2017-06-16 11:57 AM | Reply

The level of anger in this country is a direct consequence of electing an angry, abusive crank as president who openly called for protesters at his rallies to be beaten up and said he'd pay the legal fees of anyone who did.

Those of you who voted for him have no business calling for civility until you admit his role in stoking that anger (and your responsibility in voting for him).

Any person with a lick of common sense should have known how dangerous it would be to elect a president with rage problems and no self control who has a constant need to show dominance over others.

#6 | Posted by rcade at 2017-06-16 01:13 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

I guess what I'm trying to say is that civil discourse on a way forward and beyond Trump begins here. The language and accusations have gone postal.

#8 | Posted by SheepleSchism at 2017-06-16 01:32 PM | Reply

>Are you justifying the rage, viterol, and childish mocking coming from the left?

When is rage and vitriol justified?

Never?

#9 | Posted by schifferbrains at 2017-06-16 01:38 PM | Reply

You turn everything into a slam on the Retort and the Retort community. It's tedious.

#11 | Posted by rcade at 2017-06-16 01:44 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 3

When is rage and vitriol justified?

Never?

#9 | Posted by schifferbrains at 2017-06-16 01:38 PM | Reply | Flag:

When do people who vent rage and vitriol think they are not justified?

#12 | Posted by Sully at 2017-06-16 01:44 PM | Reply

When do people who vent rage and vitriol think they are not justified?
#12 |

Fair point.

I guess I'm just saying there has to be threshold where outrage is going to be expected.

Trump really crossed the line for me personally when I saw him mocking the disabled reporter.

#13 | Posted by schifferbrains at 2017-06-16 01:54 PM | Reply

BTW - Schiffer - I'm not trying to play "gotcha" with you. Sometimes rage and vitriol IS justified.

I'm just saying that the problem with saying "well it can often be justified" is that nobody ever thinks that their ranting and venting is not justified. Even someone who flies off the handle every days thinks he is justified every time. And who can tell them that they are wrong?

If we don't tone it down - even when we agree with the message behind it - its only going to get more extreme.

#14 | Posted by Sully at 2017-06-16 01:57 PM | Reply

Some people seem to think that it's inappropriate to show rage towards Trump and his actions.

The same people, if they are sane, know that Trump will continue to fly into rages. He has early-morning rage spirals on Twitter at least once a week.

So anti-Trump Democrats and anti-Trump Republicans are being asked to set aside our anger while taking the brunt of his.

We're not going to do that.

#15 | Posted by rcade at 2017-06-16 01:58 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 3

#13 | Posted by schifferbrains at 2017-06-16 01:54 PM | Reply | Flag:

I started writing #14 before I saw #13.

I think we basically agree.

#16 | Posted by Sully at 2017-06-16 02:00 PM | Reply

We're not going to do that.

#15 | Posted by rcade at 2017-06-16 01:58 PM | Reply | Flag:

I wasn't really talking about stuff directed at Trump. He deserves whatever he gets. I was more thinking about how Americans deal with other Americans who they disagree with.

Although I will say that Trump's vitriol seems less out of place in an atmosphere where so much is directed back his way. I don't think people need to set aside their anger. I think they that most people who are angry at Trump are also smarter than Trump so they should play a better game.

#18 | Posted by Sully at 2017-06-16 02:06 PM | Reply

>>I'm not trying to play "gotcha" with you

Yeah, i understand what you're saying.
By the time one has decided to become 'Outraged!', you've almost, by definition, built a case in your head for how justified you are.

Civil discourse has been dragged down.

You know how when you watch football highlights from the mid 80's, and you can't believe how small/thin the players look?

I think if you juxtaposed our current 'news' with that of 30+ years ago, you'd get the same bump.

People will have to value it over mudslinging before it will return.

Maybe this whole sh*tstorm will be a purge, like a wildfire, with a reset to follow.

#19 | Posted by schifferbrains at 2017-06-16 02:06 PM | Reply

Rage Against The Machine - Killing In the Name

www.youtube.com

#20 | Posted by LauraMohr at 2017-06-16 02:12 PM | Reply

When a president acts the way Trump does, what else would you expect? He has the largest megaphone in the world and he's using it to rage. He even attacks individuals who aren't in politics.

Having a person who behaves like Trump occupy the White House feels like something we'll never recover fully from. It's obscene.

The day the rage starts to subside is when he changes his behavior and begins to conduct himself with dignity and respect for the opposition and the elements of government that serve as a check on the presidency. I think we all know that will never happen. A 70 years old man is not changing jack.

#21 | Posted by rcade at 2017-06-16 02:16 PM | Reply

Wow. Not even close.

#22 | Posted by schifferbrains at 2017-06-16 02:20 PM | Reply

I still pause occasionally, usually seeing one his tweets, and think "Is this really happening? Can someone who's that much of a buffoon be in the highest office?"

Obviously the answer is a resounding yes.

The follow up question: Can a nation 'Jump The Shark'? Have we?

#23 | Posted by schifferbrains at 2017-06-16 02:27 PM | Reply

I had some hope that might happen too. Joke's on us.

Every day, when I first see Trump saying something on television, I have to mentally adjust to the fact that he's president. It's not about his politics being different than mine. It's about the way he acts as a human being and what he does on Twitter.

#24 | Posted by rcade at 2017-06-16 02:34 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 3

#21 | Posted by rcade at 2017-06-16 02:16 PM | Reply | Flag:

I agree that his behavior is not acceptable. And I agree that people should be angry. I just don't think that trying to beat him at his own game is the way to go.

I also may be trying to convince myself. I have a personal situation going on right now where it would be immoral for me to be anything less than extremely pissed off at a certain person. But it is in the best interests of the person most negatively affected if I don't emote at all for the time being. It isn't easy.

#25 | Posted by Sully at 2017-06-16 02:36 PM | Reply

"There was a brief (ok, very brief) moment right after he got elected, where I thought we might see him pull the mask off and say 'OK, now that I'm in, let's be real' and take on a more professional, conciliatory tone, even if he had to wink at his base to get them to play along."

same here.

I thought he would sort of come clean that he was staging things to get elected...because he's all about winning. But now....we're going to see the real Trump that's a cool smooth business guy that can deal with stuff professionally.

I wasn't banking on that but rather thought there was a chance. Not enough for me to vote for him which is why I held my nose and voted for Hillary.

but no....he's managed to come in under a bar I already set pretty damn low.

#26 | Posted by eberly at 2017-06-16 02:36 PM | Reply

>>that's a cool smooth business guy

I'm beginning to suspect he never was a cool smooth business guy. Just guy with a lot of leverage who pushed people around, got rewarded for it, gained a little more leverage, pushed some more people around, gained a little more leverage, etc.
You'd think a lifetime in business would give him some depth gained by experience, but he's clearly spent his life surrounded by yes-men and lackeys. Not too many lessons learned.

And the amateur antics - I mean even if you don't know what you're doing, can you at least try to look the part, and learn as you go?

>>It's about the way he acts as a human being and what he does on Twitter.

And going back to the thread topic: I doubt there would be a tenth of this 'outrage from the left' if a moderate republican was elected.
We stand, slack jawed, witnessing the jackassification of our nation.

#27 | Posted by schifferbrains at 2017-06-16 02:54 PM | Reply

#14 | POSTED BY SULLY

I don't think it's outside of the realm of possibilities to vent one's rage and vitriol at an administration who's every action is against you're beliefs or view points.

Hell, I aim a lot of anger (not quite rage) and vitriol at Trump and his ignoramus supporters, but I don't advocate for violence.

But rage, or more specifically "enrage(d)" is a term I see far too frequently in click bait "articles" and political commentary.

It makes me think of this every time (go to 1:40):

www.youtube.com

#28 | Posted by jpw at 2017-06-16 10:16 PM | Reply

It's pracctically adorable how the people who spent eight hate-filled years attacking Obama for using mustard and swatting a fly are flabbergasted by the hate coming at Trump for threatening to take health insurance from 25 million people and his AG who is threatening to kill the billions-of-dollars a year medical marijuana industry.

#29 | Posted by snoofy at 2017-06-16 11:17 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

#29 | POSTED BY SNOOFY

We've seen a lot of political violence since Trump won the election. Not so much during the Obama years. Not like this.

#30 | Posted by JeffJ at 2017-06-17 07:13 AM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

Posted by JeffJ at 2017-06-17 07:13 AM | Reply

Selective Memory Much????

#31 | Posted by LauraMohr at 2017-06-17 07:39 AM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

Gabi Giffords wasn't like this?
How about Dylan Roof?
Joe Stack?

#32 | Posted by snoofy at 2017-06-17 11:39 AM | Reply

#30 - ODS

#33 | Posted by schmanch at 2017-06-17 12:52 PM | Reply

#30 | POSTED BY JEFFJ

Comparing the two is ridiculous. Obama never carried himself the same or acted with the contempt and vitriol that Trump exhibits on a daily basis.

The Right's animosity towards Obama was completely unwarranted, so they refuse to understand how the attitude of the left is justified.

#34 | Posted by TFDNihilist at 2017-06-17 01:08 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 2

#34 | POSTED BY TFDNIHILIST AT 2017-06-17 01:08 PM | FLAG: I guess that means you feel it justified that lefties hooded in black masks show up and physically attack pro-Trump rallies???

#35 | Posted by MSgt at 2017-06-17 01:24 PM | Reply

Although that is not a path I desire, I do understand their rage. The fact that you don't is sad.

#36 | Posted by TFDNihilist at 2017-06-17 01:26 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

Bret Weinstein (at Evergreen State College) is a hero of free speech, and has been improperly castigated/defamed.

www.youtube.com

Take 12 minutes out of your life to watch this video. The students at ESC are subjecting their professors and administrators to maoist "struggle sessions". This is one of the end results of postmodernist indoctrination and "intersectional" neomarxism. When I was in school, I would never have though of telling a prof or administrator to "shut the f**k up" (see video) on the basis of their skin color. These students are conflating "white supremacy" with anyone whose skin happens to be white, and shutting them down on this basis. They are "other-ing" whites, and tthis leads to an environment in which anyone who's white can be shut up for any reason.

If we are against oppression and racism, then why is it okay to apply this in only one direction?

#37 | Posted by wj112358 at 2017-06-17 09:19 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

Here's the last 12 minutes of your life I would ask you to spare for the sake of watching a video. It's the wisest man I've ever come across, Dr. Jordan Peterson, talking about marxism, socialism, and postmodernism:

www.youtube.com

#38 | Posted by wj112358 at 2017-06-17 09:35 PM | Reply

Donald Trump is a despicable human being. He has been such for decades. He represents the most base instincts of humanity. He should have gotten nowhere near the presidency. However, a significant number of Americans voted for him. I cannot understand why. He offers nothing to anyone but himself. to me that is as clear as day. Since it is so clear to me, I find my self disgusted by people who support him. I have a good friend who is liberal and an environmentalist defending Trump pulling out of the Paris treaty. I cannot comprehend that mindset. Therefore, I refuse to engage with her because I cannot control my temper and do not wish to argue with her, disrespect her or say anything that would hurt her.

At least once a week I find myself shocked that Trump is president. I find it mind boggling. This is not an understandable partisan difference, this is the difference between selecting eating salad or literally eating ----. Trump demands no respect, he embarrasses the office of the Presidency daily. How can anyone respect him after that cabinet meeting? That is beyond my comprehension. As a result I have only disgust for those that continue to support this dangerous embarrassment. Sorry but YOU built that.

#39 | Posted by truthhurts at 2017-06-17 09:57 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 2

I think everyone could use a bit of levity at this point (roughly speaking)

www.youtube.com

Clean up your room and then move on to bigger problems.

#40 | Posted by wj112358 at 2017-06-17 10:00 PM | Reply

sort yourself out, bucko

www.youtube.com

#41 | Posted by wj112358 at 2017-06-17 10:05 PM | Reply

#30 | POSTED BY JEFFJ

Hmmmmm...could it be because Obama wasn't really as bad as he was made out to be and Trump may actually be the anti-Christ?

Not excusing violence, just pointing out the massive difference between how much those two dicked over the average citizen.

#42 | Posted by jpw at 2017-06-18 01:07 AM | Reply

#34 | POSTED BY TFDNIHILIST

Not to mention the handful of salt rubbed into the wound by the fact that it's the whiny, constant bitch and moan, victim card playing righties that pissed and moaned throughout the Obama years now excusing the very behaviors they scurrilously claimed Obama was engaging in.

There's something massively demoralizing and depressing in seeing 40% of this country engaging in self-righteous, self-destructive behavior that pulls us all down just to be spiteful against the rest of the country over partisan reasons.

#43 | Posted by jpw at 2017-06-18 01:12 AM | Reply | Newsworthy 2

Donald "2-scoops" vs Hillary "Muh Coronation!""

www.youtube.com

#44 | Posted by wj112358 at 2017-06-18 01:39 AM | Reply

In terms of policy, Obama was every bit as polarizing as Trump. I agree that from a personality standpoint the 2 are not remotely comparable, but I'm talking policy. Also, as Sully said, it's not so much the vitriol directed at Trump himself, he brings that on himself, it's the nasty vitriol directed toward those with opposition political viewpoints. It's no longer, "You're wrong and misguided." Now it's, "You're stupid and evil and I hope horrible things happen to you and your family (described in vivid terms)."

We all need to start acting like adults and toning it down.

#45 | Posted by JeffJ at 2017-06-18 08:46 AM | Reply | Funny: 1

Interesting, so many unable to read through twitter posts and actually get to the message. The refusal to understand how much middle America was hurt by Obama. America isn't new York, Chicago, LA and a few other big cities, just look at counties and wins and 90% of almost all states voted for trump.

There is a reason for it, those less populated counties were ignored for a few big giant cities and that created this.

Trump isn't sugar coating and using political sidestepping speech, he is telling it like it is and am amazed so many can't read but wish to slant it to doom and gloom.

#46 | Posted by Crassus at 2017-06-18 09:12 AM | Reply

Message? Which one? That clown is all over the map.

#47 | Posted by REDIAL at 2017-06-18 09:16 AM | Reply

This was a good war, until the democrats showed up and started fighting back.

#48 | Posted by kudzu at 2017-06-18 09:19 AM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

In terms of policy, Obama was every bit as polarizing as Trump.

#45 | POSTED BY JEFFJ

wow, didn't you used to make sense? what happened?

#49 | Posted by kudzu at 2017-06-18 09:22 AM | Reply | Newsworthy 2

So, there IS something called the Kool-Aide, and you're drunk on it.

#50 | Posted by Zed at 2017-06-18 09:26 AM | Reply

The hate is so bad that virtually all even moderate conservatives are illuminated from even having conversations here, it becomes nothing but name calling to such a degree and ire in such numbers the conservative is pushed out.

It is now happening the same way across the country at any trump supportive event, so much so that it has become violent, and our MSM is fueling the fire by not remaining neutral.

#51 | Posted by Crassus at 2017-06-18 09:26 AM | Reply

So, there IS something called the Kool-Aide, and you're drunk on it.

#50 | Posted by Zed at 2017-06-18 09:26 AM | Reply | Flag

This is exactly what I am talking about, rarely does this individual post anything of substance to counter thought of my post but continues almost to a stoker point to hurdle insults and garbage.

#52 | Posted by Crassus at 2017-06-18 09:29 AM | Reply

You may be among the last to think Donald plays three dimensional chess with us.

I personally don't think he's played a game of chess in his life. I don't think he knows how to play chess at all.

#53 | Posted by Zed at 2017-06-18 09:29 AM | Reply

wow, didn't you used to make sense? what happened?

#49 | Posted by kudzu at 2017-06-18 09:22 AM | Reply | Flag

So you are saying Obama was not polarizing?

#54 | Posted by Crassus at 2017-06-18 09:30 AM | Reply

Lots or evidence Donal is a thief and. liar. Eventually even you will be obliged to deal with it

If you haven't been pissed about his behavior to date, then we worry about you.

#55 | Posted by Zed at 2017-06-18 09:32 AM | Reply

I personally don't think...

#53 | Posted by Zed at 2017-06-18 09:29 AM | Reply | Flag

From all the posts you have ever directed at me, that is correct, you don't think.

#56 | Posted by Crassus at 2017-06-18 09:33 AM | Reply

Jeez. The guy who said he was from Kenya was polarizing.

#57 | Posted by Zed at 2017-06-18 09:33 AM | Reply

Donald Trump is the sort of man I warned my kids about. You admire him.

#58 | Posted by Zed at 2017-06-18 09:35 AM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

Lots or evidence Donal is a thief and. liar.

Support yourself or STFU, just saying such means nothing. Show some real evidence, not slanted political garbage from a trump hating outlet. Support yourself otherwise it means nothing but political hate rhetoric.

#59 | Posted by Crassus at 2017-06-18 09:35 AM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

Donald Trump is the sort of man I warned my kids about. You admire him.

Is this a statement or a question, can't tell.

Just so you know I admire very few people and rarely are they politicians or CEO's but do have enough respect to listen, think, and work through the direction of how these people are coming to their decisions. If I don't agree, I begin to research through the pros and cons so I can come to an actual intellectual decision for my own thought.

#60 | Posted by Crassus at 2017-06-18 09:39 AM | Reply

Will visit this thread tomorrow, I don't want to be thought of as a troll, I enjoy sometime posting and would like to continue.

#61 | Posted by Crassus at 2017-06-18 09:41 AM | Reply

in such numbers the conservative is pushed out.

#51 | POSTED BY CRASSUS

wrong. it's the whacky neo-cons (who i call GOTP-ers) that have the problem. normal conservatives hate trump too.

#62 | Posted by kudzu at 2017-06-18 10:24 AM | Reply

So you are saying Obama was not polarizing?

#54 | POSTED BY CRASSUS

No one can prove a negative, but i will say that he was nowhere close, on the polarization scale, as you or and your hero trump. I wonder how you are going to feel when he is removed from office?

you whine about polarization, but you are the one who is polarizing, especially when you think people can't see that everything you say has no evidence, and you just say anything to defend a person who is clearly a fool and a criminal. why? Because of party loyalty, that's it.

Now, if you call 'polarization' someone who will not let you tell unchallenged non-truths, then i suppose 60% of the people in America have become polarists in the past few months.

Please stop making a fool of yourself. You are better than this (I hope).

#63 | Posted by kudzu at 2017-06-18 10:30 AM | Reply

Please stop making a fool of yourself. You are better than this (I hope).

Posted by kudzu at 2017-06-18 10:30 AM | Reply

He used to be anyways.

#64 | Posted by LauraMohr at 2017-06-18 10:34 AM | Reply

CRASSUS, character is destiny. Donald is doomed.

#65 | Posted by Zed at 2017-06-18 11:18 AM | Reply

"Show some real evidence"

Of thievery and lying?

1. Dozens, if not hundreds of contractors coming forward telling the same story, where Trump refused to pay in full, and threatened more legal pushback than the worker could afford.
2. Dozens, if not hundreds of statements which are clearly out-and-out lies, from getting a letter from the NFL, to his taxes being under audit the day after they were filed, to reasons he fired Comey.

Anyone who still needs evidence at this point is simply not paying attention.

#66 | Posted by Danforth at 2017-06-18 11:57 AM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

Crassus, whether you realize it or not, this is how you're appearing:

Therefore, that your feelings may not be moved to pity about our citizens who are now thirty years of age, every care must be taken in introducing them to dialectic.

There is a danger lest they should taste the dear delight too early; for youngsters, as you may have observed, when they first get the taste in their mouths, argue for amusement, and are always contradicting and refuting others in imitation of those who refute them; like puppy-dogs, they rejoice in pulling and tearing at all who come near them.

--Socrates Republic Book VII

#67 | Posted by madscientist at 2017-06-18 12:16 PM | Reply

#46 | POSTED BY CRASSUS

Except he's not.

His doom and gloom about crime, employment ect has been debunked over and over since the election. Only the willfully blind continue to claim he's speaking any kind of truth.

#68 | Posted by jpw at 2017-06-18 12:55 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

The refusal to understand how much middle America was hurt by Obama. America isn't just new York, Chicago, LA and a few other big cities, just look at counties and wins and 90% of almost all states voted for trump.

Now that's a true statement. Your statement was just a little bit off.

In any case, the number of square miles that "voted" for Trump is meaningless. Only a partisan stooge says such crap and expects to be taken seriously.

#69 | Posted by jpw at 2017-06-18 12:56 PM | Reply

#52 | POSTED BY CRASSUS

Substance isn't needed to shush away the brain farts you post.

Just a quick lit match to cover the stench.

#70 | Posted by jpw at 2017-06-18 12:58 PM | Reply | Funny: 1

n terms of policy, Obama was every bit as polarizing as Trump.
#45 | POSTED BY JEFFJ

wow, didn't you used to make sense? what happened?

#49 | POSTED BY KUDZU

Read what is in bold. Obama's agenda was every bit as polarizing as Trump's agenda. Also, since you selectively quoted me, here's what followed the sentence you reproduced:

#71 | Posted by JeffJ at 2017-06-18 01:06 PM | Reply

What policy specifically, Jeff?

The healthcare bill that is suddenly well supported? The economic policy that has dropped unemployment to 4.3%?

The only reason his policy was resisted by the right is because of the -------- spewed by those who made it their jobs to demonize everything he did no matter what it was. As usual, the divisiveness came from the right, the same part of the electorate who is now, oddly, fighting for much of it as they realize what the GOP's policy ideas actually mean for them.

#72 | Posted by jpw at 2017-06-18 01:22 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

"Gay marriage" is my guess.

In the very same way, JeffJ ​could have said that both Hitler and Gandhi were polarizing figures.

JeffJ also says with a straight face he supports gay marriage he just doesn't like how it came about.

As though there are some ways of people getting rights which are just wrong. Which means the way it happened here, by the Supreme Court applying the Fourteenth Amendment, was wrong. He says all this without a shred of irony while claiming to be a stringent supporter of that very same Constitution.

If you're looking for logic, whatever you find will be adroitly convoluted.

#73 | Posted by snoofy at 2017-06-18 02:19 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

"In terms of policy, Obama was every bit as polarizing as Trump." - #45 | Posted by JeffJ at 2017-06-18 08:46 AM

Obama's policy was polarizing?

I suppose that explains why he served only a single term and was overwhelmingly defeated in his bid for reelection.

Of course, had he been one of only four presidents in the past 100+ years of American history to have been elected and subsequently reelected with a majority of the votes cast, then you might recognize that his policy wasn't all that polarizing, after all.

Unless you're one of those with acute ODS.

Or you're a racist.

Sometimes it is hard to know.

#74 | Posted by Hans at 2017-06-18 06:18 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1