Wednesday, June 14, 2017

Washington Post: The special counsel overseeing the investigation into Russia's role in the 2016 election is interviewing senior intelligence officials as part of a widening probe that now includes an examination of whether President Trump attempted to obstruct justice, officials said. The move by Special Counsel Robert S. Mueller III to investigate Trump's own conduct marks a major turning point in the nearly year-old FBI investigation, which until recently focused on Russian meddling during the presidential campaign and on whether there was any coordination between the Trump campaign and the Kremlin. Investigators have also been looking for any evidence of possible financial crimes among Trump associates, officials said.

Comments

This will also go nowhere, but when the focus shifts to abuse of power, all bets are off.

#1 | Posted by leftcoastlawyer at 2017-06-14 06:52 PM | Reply

Nothing-Burger. Move-on. org.

"Investigators have also been looking for any evidence of possible financial crimes among Trump associates, officials said."

Collusion, obstruction, financial crimes... just another day in Trumpville.

#2 | Posted by Corky at 2017-06-14 06:53 PM | Reply

#1 | POSTED BY LEFTCOASTLAWYER

Could you expound upon why obstruction investigation would yield little fruit yet abuse of power could result in charges? I am an ignoramus regarding such topics.

#3 | Posted by rstybeach11 at 2017-06-14 06:56 PM | Reply

I think that the financial aspect (but not vis a vis Russia) is where this will ultimately be most problematic for Trump, since he can't control all aspects of his real estate empire. Somewhere, someone is going to mess up and that may be enough, at the very least, to keep him from running for re-election. One can only hope...

Abuse of Power, however, has a "looser" standard than obstruction and the POTUS trying to use his influence to change the focus of an investigation could be enough. However, that is a two edged sword, since Comey's testimony about Lynch was basically of the same vein. However, Lynch was not POTUS.

#4 | Posted by leftcoastlawyer at 2017-06-14 07:20 PM | Reply

Abuse of power could lead to impeachment but it's not going to result in a prison sentence.

#5 | Posted by JeffJ at 2017-06-14 07:24 PM | Reply

Posted by JeffJ at 2017-06-14 07:24 PM | Reply

You can not charge a sitting president with a crime. Unconstitutional.

#6 | Posted by LauraMohr at 2017-06-14 07:25 PM | Reply

I'm not so sure about that, Laura.

But, even if you are correct a president who has been impeached and removed could be charged.

#7 | Posted by JeffJ at 2017-06-14 07:28 PM | Reply

After the President is impeached, he no longer is immune to prosecution for any and all crimes he may be charged with unless his successor pardons him.

But he still would be liable for prosecution for state crimes, such as those NY AG Schneiderman is holding grand juries on as we speak.

#8 | Posted by tonyroma at 2017-06-14 07:29 PM | Reply

Correction: Impeached and convicted by the Senate if he doesn't resign beforehand.

#9 | Posted by tonyroma at 2017-06-14 07:30 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

www.forbes.com

The United States Constitution provides only for impeachment and is silent on the issue of whether federal officials can be criminally prosecuted while holding office. As a result, analysists are forced to comb through fragments of debates held during the constitutional conventions to discern the Framers' intent with regard to this issue. In 1973 and 2000, lawyers in the Attorney General's Office determined because of the singularly unique duties and demands of the position, a President cannot be called upon to answer the demands of another branch of government – in this case the judicial branch – in the same manner as all other individuals. They concluded as a matter of policy that a President cannot both serve as the nation's chief executive and defend criminal charges.

For sure, the President is not above the law. He is accountable for any misconduct that occurs before, during, and after service to the country. When in service, however, he occupies a unique position within our constitutional order. According to the memorandum written by the Office of Legal Counsel in 1973, a criminal trial empowering a jury of twelve individuals to, in effect, overturn a national mandate as expressed through the election of a President through a guilty verdict is unacceptable. Instead, as written in that memorandum, the decision to terminate the service of a President "is more fittingly handled by the Congress than by a jury, and such congressional power is founded in the Constitution" through the impeachment process.

#10 | Posted by LauraMohr at 2017-06-14 07:33 PM | Reply

Ha! this is what I'm talking about! Keep it up!

#11 | Posted by blake914 at 2017-06-14 08:22 PM | Reply

Well, I authentically did not see this coming.

#12 | Posted by DirkStruan at 2017-06-14 08:29 PM | Reply

Looks like Trump's enemies are shooting for a political assassination instead of a bodily assassination.

I give strong odds of this backfiring as it did for Julius Caesar's assassins.

#13 | Posted by Ray at 2017-06-14 08:36 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

What's up Ray? How's it been going?

Buying silver as we speak! Silver eagles are the HEAT!! :)

#14 | Posted by boaz at 2017-06-14 08:46 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

"I have people that have been studying it and they cannot believe what they're finding,"

~donald

#15 | Posted by REDIAL at 2017-06-14 08:46 PM | Reply

This will also go nowhere ...

The story gets bigger every week. Trump is already talking about firing Mueller after firing Comey. That's not something he'd do if he wasn't hiding something yuge.

Expecting this to go nowhere is ridiculous. His ex-NSA director is already asking for immunity. The other targets could be looking to roll on somebody higher also.

The most likely scenario here is that Trump's in deep ----.

#16 | Posted by rcade at 2017-06-14 08:48 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

It's interesting to see you set aside your overwhelming distrust of government and make an exception to assert the innocence of Trump.

Big fan of The Apprentice?

#17 | Posted by rcade at 2017-06-14 08:50 PM | Reply | Funny: 1

Nice to see the Teajadists here still live in LA LA land. They'll be the most shocked and surprised when their hero Orange Adolf is removed from power.

#18 | Posted by aborted_monson at 2017-06-14 08:55 PM | Reply

This never should have happened. Major self-inflicted wound for Trump because he's incapable of not being petty.

#20 | Posted by JeffJ at 2017-06-14 08:58 PM | Reply

Posted by JeffJ at 2017-06-14 07:24 PM | Reply
You can not charge a sitting president with a crime. Unconstitutional.

I'm a liberal sure as ----! I believe we need effective and efficient institutions!

But...congress members were gunned at today! By a Bernie bro, of all people.

All I have from this place is partisan BS!

When some crazy person walks up to a wonderful man that is just fixing his car in his driveway, and says something along the lines of "leave this country", and then shoots him in the face.....all I hear from lots of you is...typical Trumper.

After this event...the same thing. ------- liberal!

I'm clear! People that become frustrated by what they see on TV or hear on radio and actually pick up a gun and shoot people are disturbed! Regardless of their political motivations, they should be locked away forever or maybe executed!

It baffles me that on this site, lots of you can't suspend your partisan position for even one important moment.

#21 | Posted by dlib at 2017-06-14 09:01 PM | Reply

#21 | POSTED BY DLIB

Instead of getting angry about the morons, be happy that there are some grownups saying adult things about this.

#22 | Posted by JeffJ at 2017-06-14 09:04 PM | Reply | Funny: 1

"Trump is already talking about firing Mueller after firing Comey "

What exactly did he say on that?

#23 | Posted by eberly at 2017-06-14 09:04 PM | Reply

I'm alluding to the viciousness that's on display for the whole world to see.

The legal stuff is for public consumption. What matters in Washington is Trump's threat to the political order.

Big fan of The Apprentice?

Saw the program for a couple of times years ago. I don't watch TV.

#24 | Posted by Ray at 2017-06-14 09:04 PM | Reply

"One of President Donald Trump's friends said he believes the President is considering dismissing special counsel Robert Mueller,"

See? This is where you get your hopes up.

If this were the same thing except Obama then you would be dismissing it until you learned something credible and significant.

#25 | Posted by eberly at 2017-06-14 09:07 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

See? This is where you get your hopes up.

#25 | POSTED BY EBERLY

Yep.

#26 | Posted by JeffJ at 2017-06-14 09:09 PM | Reply

What's up Ray? How's it been going?
Buying silver as we speak! Silver eagles are the HEAT!! :)
#14 | Posted by boaz

Life is good. Thanks for asking. Hope you're doing well.

I've stacked more than enough.

Cyber-currencies are starting to interest me. Still watching and learning.

#27 | Posted by Ray at 2017-06-14 09:10 PM | Reply

Okay, can anybody tell me why in the hell Russia would want Trump over Hillary?

Hillary embarrassed herself by "hitting the reset button"..........that was sooo embarrassing

If Hillary would have won Putin would be able to push her all over the map

#28 | Posted by Maverick at 2017-06-14 09:12 PM | Reply

#5 | Posted by JeffJ

It wont lead to impeachment either because that would require congressional republicans to suddenly develop ethics.

#29 | Posted by SpeakSoftly at 2017-06-14 09:13 PM | Reply

Deflect-O-Rama has begun.

#30 | Posted by REDIAL at 2017-06-14 09:14 PM | Reply

Okay, can anybody tell me why in the hell Russia would want Trump over Hillary?

#28 | Posted by Maverick

Because trump is clearly a moron and russia is our geopolitical rival.

Don't you want your rival team to have a crappy quarterback?

#31 | Posted by SpeakSoftly at 2017-06-14 09:14 PM | Reply

Dems don't give a crap about what is really happening

#19 | Posted by Maverick

Says the climate change denying republican.

#32 | Posted by SpeakSoftly at 2017-06-14 09:17 PM | Reply

You are all hopeless!

#33 | Posted by dlib at 2017-06-14 09:20 PM | Reply

An obstruction of justice investigation into the president is a major story. If you want to pretend otherwise, go watch the Angry Old Man channel.

Funny thing, though: You ignored it. You didn't post a single comment about the shooting until people were discussing this obstruction news.

#34 | Posted by rcade at 2017-06-14 09:21 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 5

Sick!

#35 | Posted by dlib at 2017-06-14 09:23 PM | Reply

Two big things happened today.

A sick man attempted to kill congressmen. No partisan defense is possible for violent action.

It was announced that the POTUS is being investigated for obstruction of justice. Obstruction of an investigation into collusion with the Russian government, who it is known intruded into our election.

Both are huge stories, the assassination attempt will be a short term story, while the Trump story it is just another link in a huge chain.

#36 | Posted by truthhurts at 2017-06-14 09:23 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 4

You are all hopeless!

#33 | Posted by dlib

The basic integrity of our democracy is a non-story?

#37 | Posted by truthhurts at 2017-06-14 09:24 PM | Reply

Did I ignore it because I didn't happen to post on this site at that particular time? Do you know me? If I don't post here right away, does it mean that I haven't stressed my opinion with others that are close to me? Come on Rcade...that's not fair! I really don't post at all here.

#38 | Posted by dlib at 2017-06-14 09:30 PM | Reply

But...congress members were gunned at today! By a Bernie bro, of all people.

All I have from this place is partisan BS!

#21 | Posted by dlib

Sorry, but when there's ONE party doing all it can to win NRA bribe money by putting as many guns into our society as possible, shootings become a partisan event.

Especially when that same party cuts funding for mental health treatment.

I'm not going to pretend we can't tell what the causes of many of our problems are just because a tragedy happened.

#39 | Posted by SpeakSoftly at 2017-06-14 09:32 PM | Reply

"The Alexandria shooting sat atop the front page here for over 12 hours, so it's not like the Retort ignored it."

And has garnered over 500 posts. Proof that people engaged in the topic and did not ignore it.

#40 | Posted by Gal_Tuesday at 2017-06-14 09:35 PM | Reply

Come on Rcade...that's not fair! I really don't post at all here.

OK. You probably have a life. I could've been too harsh. I just get tired of derails when a major story on Trump/Russia drops.

#41 | Posted by rcade at 2017-06-14 09:35 PM | Reply

Since Rcade made an issue of it..this administration is the worst example of what the founders of this country wanted! President Trump thinks he can do whatever he wants and answer to no one. Hopefully our system will adequately check him. If not now then in 2018!

#42 | Posted by dlib at 2017-06-14 09:39 PM | Reply

"From what I understand, in talking to partners in the Government Practice Group in the DC office of my firm, for an obstruction claim against someone in the executive branch you need solid evidence that the President actively moved to stop an investigation, and Comey's testimony that Trump said "go easy on Flynn", while damning, is probably not enough."

What about if there is testimony from other witnesses (like Coats and Rogers) that supports Comey's claim that Trump tried to get him to stop the Flynn investigation? I've heard that Comey's testimony alone may not be enough that if testimony from other witnesses shows a pattern of obstruction, that could be enough.

#43 | Posted by Gal_Tuesday at 2017-06-14 09:41 PM | Reply

President Trump thinks he can do whatever he wants and answer to no one.

Seems to be working so far, so long as he stays away from actual legislation.

Hopefully our system will adequately check him. If not now then in 2018!

Not looking good on either count.

#44 | Posted by REDIAL at 2017-06-14 09:43 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

"Okay, can anybody tell me why in the hell Russia would want Trump over Hillary?" - #28 | Posted by Maverick at 2017-06-14 09:12 PM

Trump is in over his head in debt to Russian interests, therefore would be easy to manipulate.

Secretary Clinton was (and is) not.

You're welcome.

#45 | Posted by Hans at 2017-06-14 09:43 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

And Rcade...I've read a few of your books. I love them! But I won't be posting here again! Sorry to say.

#46 | Posted by dlib at 2017-06-14 09:43 PM | Reply | Funny: 1

#42 | Posted by dlib

That's why the founders gave us the electoral college; So voters could be ignored if they elected a dangerous crazy person. The electors didn't do their jobs though, even when it would have been following the popular vote, so they should be eliminated.

#47 | Posted by SpeakSoftly at 2017-06-14 09:47 PM | Reply

"I give strong odds of this backfiring as it did for Julius Caesar's assassins." - #13 | Posted by Ray at 2017-06-14 08:36 PM

Julius Caesar survived?

Must have been all that gold and silver he was hoarding.

#48 | Posted by Hans at 2017-06-14 09:47 PM | Reply | Funny: 1

#48 | Posted by Hans

The answer is as simple as copying and pasting your question into Google. Then hit the return button. Got it!

#49 | Posted by Ray at 2017-06-14 09:52 PM | Reply

Now you're the one being too harsh. I sort-of apologized. That counts for nothing?

I only lashed out because I'm so passionate, baby. I don't mean to do it, Tina. You just make me so crazy sometimes. Give Ike another chance.

#50 | Posted by rcade at 2017-06-14 09:54 PM | Reply | Funny: 1

They thought they could come to an understanding with Team Trump, an amicable quid pro quo:

A former senior official said Mr. Mueller's investigation was looking at money laundering by Trump associates. The suspicion is that any cooperation with Russian officials would most likely have been done in exchange for some kind of financial payoff, and that there would have been an effort to hide the payoffs, most likely by routing them through offshore banking centers.

www.nytimes.com

#51 | Posted by Gal_Tuesday at 2017-06-14 09:57 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

Okay, can anybody tell me why in the hell Russia would want Trump over Hillary?

There's no great mystery. Because Hillary was tough on Russia as Secretary of State and sanctions on Russia under Obama were kicking Putin's ass.

With Trump, Putin has a president who is as squeezably soft as Charmin.

#52 | Posted by rcade at 2017-06-14 10:00 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 3

I can think of at least two reasons Russia (aka Putin) would favor Trump:

1. If HRC wins, she's (more) damaged.
2. If Trump wins, he's your puppet, or you'll out his syndicate laundering your money.

#53 | Posted by Danforth at 2017-06-14 10:01 PM | Reply

Okay, can anybody tell me why in the hell Russia would want Trump over Hillary?

You actually think this is about Russia....changed again just read above headline and when that doesn't pan out they will move to some other BS subject.

#54 | Posted by Crassus at 2017-06-14 10:04 PM | Reply | Funny: 1

Give Ike another chance.

#50 | POSTED BY RCADE AT 2017-06-14
09:54 PM | REPLY | FLAG:

It's not you, it's me :) Luv your books and you! I'll lurk, but I just don't think this is the place for me to express myself. Don't take it personally. I'm a csmonitor guy!

#55 | Posted by dlib at 2017-06-14 10:04 PM | Reply

Because they don't want to get pulled into a major war.

#56 | Posted by Ray at 2017-06-14 10:10 PM | Reply

Christian Science Monitor is great. I miss the print edition. I subscribed for years.

#57 | Posted by rcade at 2017-06-14 10:10 PM | Reply

You actually think this is about Russia...

Trump does too. He told Lester Holt.

#58 | Posted by rcade at 2017-06-14 10:11 PM | Reply

#57 | POSTED BY RCADE AT 2017-06-14 10:10 PM | REPLY | FLAG:

I was introduced to it in grade school. I'm still a big fan..

#59 | Posted by dlib at 2017-06-14 10:14 PM | Reply

Trump told Holt he thinks he colluded? Now that's a whale of a story.

#60 | Posted by Crassus at 2017-06-14 10:18 PM | Reply

Trump told Holt he thinks he colluded?

He told Holt he fired Comey to stop the Russia investigation.

That's as clear an admission of obstruction of justice as we're ever going to get from a president.

#61 | Posted by rcade at 2017-06-14 10:40 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 2

It's amazing that the rubes cryin' Benghaziiiiiiiiiiiiiiii, for the past couple of years think this is a witch hunt. Teajadist hypocrisy at its worst.

#62 | Posted by aborted_monson at 2017-06-14 10:41 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 2

#ImpeachNow #FrogMarch #ImWithHer

#63 | Posted by SheepleSchism at 2017-06-14 10:56 PM | Reply

Trump said he planned on firing Comey regardless of what Rosenstein recommended. And he suggested the Russia investigation was a reason behind the dismissal. "When I decided to [fire Comey], I said to myself, I said you know, this Russia thing with Trump and Russia is a made up story."

I can't find anywhere here to say to stop the Russia investigation, and to get down to it, there is no Russia trump collusion.

What is really being missed is the obstruction from lynch, the breaking of law by comey, and then the leaks by comey.

I don't see what you see, and I know for some far out reason you don't see the Lynch and Comey law breaking.

#64 | Posted by Crassus at 2017-06-14 11:11 PM | Reply | Funny: 1 | Newsworthy 1

- you don't see the Lynch and Comey law breaking.

Or the Bubba-Lynch tarmac meeting. they never will.

#65 | Posted by SheepleSchism at 2017-06-14 11:25 PM | Reply

Because Trump is a pushover, and Hillary is not.
Because they have blackmail material on Trump and they do not on Hillary.
Because Trump being a businessman stands to make money if sanctions ease up on Russia, and Hillary does not.

Are you like, unaware of these simple things, while also being a Trump supporter?

#66 | Posted by snoofy at 2017-06-15 03:08 AM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

Ha! this is what I'm talking about! Keep it up!

#11 | Posted by blake914 at 2017-06-14 08:22 PM | Reply

Barnum and Bailey folded, BLAKE. I guess you can spend more time here.

#67 | Posted by Zed at 2017-06-15 10:06 AM | Reply

#64 | Posted by Crassus

Here's a novel idea, CRASSUS. Let's prosecute all white collar law-breakers.

Let's start with our miserable excuse for a president first.

#68 | Posted by Zed at 2017-06-15 10:10 AM | Reply

I think Putin preferred Trump to Hillary because she insulted him. Plus it's hysterical.

If Mueller gets too close maybe he'll get fired like Comey. Then they can both seek refuge in Russia as guests of Vlad.

www.npr.org

#69 | Posted by Nuke_Gently at 2017-06-15 10:45 AM | Reply

He told Holt he fired Comey to stop the Russia investigation.

#61 | POSTED BY RCADE AT 2017-06-14 10:40 PM | FLAG: | NEWSWORTHY 1

You may want to revisit that one. www.nationalreview.com

#70 | Posted by fishpaw at 2017-06-15 11:49 AM | Reply

Because Trump is a pushover, and Hillary is not.
Because they have blackmail material on Trump and they do not on Hillary.

#66 | POSTED BY SNOOFY AT 2017-06-15 03:08 AM | FLAG: | NEWSWORTHY 1

Are you like, unaware there are support groups that can help you get off the meds? What is the blackmail material you are talking about and let us know how he makes the money by lifting the sanctions.

#71 | Posted by fishpaw at 2017-06-15 11:54 AM | Reply | Funny: 2

It appears to me the current crime is "Construction" not "Obstruction".

#72 | Posted by Kimo2015 at 2017-06-15 12:52 PM | Reply

What is the blackmail material you are talking about and let us know how he (Donald) makes the money by lifting the sanctions.

#71 | Posted by fishpaw at 2017-06-15 11:54 AM | Reply | Funny: 1

Might be in his taxes......

#73 | Posted by Zed at 2017-06-15 05:10 PM | Reply | Funny: 1

"What is the blackmail material you are talking about "

Probably money laundering, through the bank of Cypress.

#74 | Posted by Danforth at 2017-06-15 05:12 PM | Reply | Funny: 1

MSNBC just reported Mike Pence has hired outside council.

#75 | Posted by Danforth at 2017-06-15 05:15 PM | Reply

Might be in his taxes......
#73 | POSTED BY ZED AT 2017-06-15 05:10 PM | FLAG:

Probably money laundering
#74 | POSTED BY DANFORTH

Might be and probably are good enough for me. #ImpeachNow #WW3 #BombPooty

#76 | Posted by SheepleSchism at 2017-06-15 06:41 PM | Reply | Funny: 1

"Might be and probably are good enough for me."

Stop faking.

Finding a recording with Trump admitting everything wouldn't be enough for you.

#77 | Posted by Danforth at 2017-06-15 06:46 PM | Reply

Not sure why it took so long FBI to investigate Mr T? It was clear from 2016. FBI is too slow, that is the reason Russians are playing roulette with them.

#78 | Posted by material07310 at 2017-06-16 11:29 AM | Reply

"Might be and probably are good enough for me."
Stop faking.
Finding a recording with Trump admitting everything wouldn't be enough for you.

#77 | POSTED BY DANFORTH AT 2017-06-15 06:46 PM | FLAG:

And "might be and probably" are good enough for you.

#79 | Posted by fishpaw at 2017-06-16 03:17 PM | Reply