Thursday, June 15, 2017

Scientists have developed a drug that mimics sunlight to make the skin tan, with no damaging UV radiation involved. The drug tricks the skin into producing the brown form of the pigment melanin in tests on skin samples and mice. Evidence suggests it will work even on redheads, who normally just burn in the sun. The team at Massachusetts General Hospital hope their discovery could prevent skin cancer and even slow the appearance of ageing. Potent tan UV light makes the skin tan by causing damage. This kicks off a chain of chemical reactions in the skin that ultimately leads to dark melanin - the body's natural sunblock - being made.

Alternate links: Google News | Twitter

David Fisher, one of the researchers, told the BBC News website: "It has a potent darkening effect.

"Under the microscope it's the real melanin, it really is activating the production of pigment in a UV-independent fashion."

It is a markedly different approach to fake tan, which "paints" the skin without the protection from melanin, sun beds, which expose the skin to UV light or pills that claim to boost melanin production but still need UV light.

But the team is not motivated by making a new cosmetic. ...

Tests, detailed in the journal Cell Reports, have shown the melanin produced by the drug was able to block harmful UV rays.

Comments

"The way the drug works could also allow a ginger tan, as the genetic mutation that causes red hair and fair skin disrupts the normal process where UV light leads to dark melanin.

It is not yet clear if the drug might have the unintended consequence of affecting the glorious hair colour, but it is thought the hair follicle is too deep in the skin for the drug to reach."

We are all Boaz now.

#1 | Posted by Corky at 2017-06-13 05:29 PM | Reply | Funny: 1

Sorry Donnie the drug does not enhance endowment.

#2 | Posted by bored at 2017-06-13 05:35 PM | Reply | Funny: 1

It might make the Orange Glow permanent.... or better yet, it might make him look like a Muslim Mexican rapist/terrorist.

#3 | Posted by Corky at 2017-06-13 05:51 PM | Reply

#1 | POSTED BY CORKY

It's a cure for Gingerism!!!

Finally, the incessant taunts of "Red hair, no soul! Red hair, no soul!" as I walk in public will come to an end.

Praise be to jesus.

#4 | Posted by rstybeach11 at 2017-06-13 05:51 PM | Reply | Funny: 3

Ha! I just hope you weren't a step-child, lol.

#5 | Posted by Corky at 2017-06-13 05:53 PM | Reply

No, but the main target during "Kick a Ginger Day."

Where I grew up, it should have been referred to as "Kick the Ginger Day."

#6 | Posted by rstybeach11 at 2017-06-13 05:54 PM | Reply

I understand that CarrotTop is scheduled to participate in the testing trials.

Like to have the FL concession on this product if it's ever released. The sun damage to Whitey is disastrous down here.

#7 | Posted by Corky at 2017-06-13 05:57 PM | Reply

UV light makes the skin tan by causing damage.

If God meant for humans to avoid skin contact with the sun, he wouldn't made us hairy.

Our skin makes Vitamin D from UV light.
Vitamin D is actually a hormone especially vital to our immune system among other things.
It's why flu season is in the winter.

Trump is asking for trouble. Whatever he's taking is getting absorbed into his body.

#8 | Posted by Ray at 2017-06-13 06:21 PM | Reply

"The advance has its origins in a strain of "redhead" mice with rust-colored fur. The rodents harbor a variant of a gene called MC1R that gives rise to red hair and fair skin in humans.

A properly functioning MC1R gene encodes a receptor that sits on the surface of skin cells called melanocytes, which transmit a signal to crank out dark melanin pigments; these pigments help protect skin cells from UV radiation.

The redhead version of the receptor doesn't respond to the make-more-melanin signal, which explains why redheaded humans tend to burn, not tan.

David Fisher, a dermatologist at Massachusetts General Hospital in Boston, reasoned that he could help people tan by finding a way to stimulate this melaninmaking pathway.

He and chemist Nathanael Gray of the Dana-Farber Cancer Institute in Boston targeted a protein called salt-inducible kinase (SIK), which works like a master off switch in the melanin factory. They bought a molecule known to inhibit SIK from a chemical supplier, and applied the compound as a liquid to the shaven backs of the redhead mice.

After 7 days of daily treatment, the mouse skin turned "almost jet black," Fishers says. The tan was reversible though, and the rodents' skin tone returned mostly back to normal in about 2 weeks. Fisher notes that were no apparent safety concerns, but this would need to be tested more rigorously before human application."

more on the experiment....

www.sciencemag.org

#9 | Posted by Corky at 2017-06-13 10:12 PM | Reply

What a dumb article. Real sun stimulates the creation of Vitamin D on our skin.
Vitamin D is essential for a strong immune system. That in itself is a major preventative against cancer.
In the winter, it's better than vaccines.

#10 | Posted by Ray at 2017-06-14 07:32 PM | Reply

Ray, I know so many folks that have to deal with skin cancer, this is a great breakthrough. I have a blue eyed, blond son who is a sun worshipper. This is a God send. I can't wait til he can get this new drug and I can stop worrying about him in this one regard. Plenty of other issues I can continue to worry about though but that's what mothers do, when we stop worrying we're either dead or in a coma.

#11 | Posted by danni at 2017-06-15 09:40 AM | Reply

From the test pic it doesn't look like the change in coloration is uniform. It may offer good protection from the sun and lots of people may want to appear darker but how many people are going to be cool with the ------- look?

#12 | Posted by Sully at 2017-06-15 09:48 AM | Reply

People kill themselves with skin cancer because of vainly trying for the perfect tan. It's ridiculous.

How much bloody diarrhea is the side effect of this drug?

#13 | Posted by 726 at 2017-06-15 09:51 AM | Reply

"Woohoo!" - Rachel Donezal

#14 | Posted by MUSTANG at 2017-06-15 09:53 AM | Reply | Funny: 1

There's nothing better that says, "You don't belong on the 31st parallel" than orange hair, heat exhaustion, and a sunburn in 15 minutes.

#15 | Posted by madscientist at 2017-06-15 09:56 AM | Reply

And the funding is coming from?

#16 | Posted by Petrous at 2017-06-15 09:58 AM | Reply

Anything beyond moderation is bad. Again, reasonable skin exposure to the sun strengthens our immune system. It's the way are bodies are designed to produce Vitamin D.

#11 | Posted by danni

Cancer has to do with cellular respiration. Without oxygen, cells create energy from sugar by fermentation. Lactic acid acid is the byproduct. Athletes can experience it temporarily. With cancer victims it's long term.

There isn't and will never be a drug that can deal with the core problem. They are all toxic to our system. You'll only magnify your problems. You should be paying more attention to what he's eating. Over stress is another factor.

#17 | Posted by Ray at 2017-06-15 10:52 AM | Reply

"There isn't and will never be a drug that can deal with the core problem."

Famous last words. I was taught to never say never or always. When you do you set yourself up to be proven wrong and hopefully you will be too as I'm sure you would agree.

#18 | Posted by danni at 2017-06-15 11:13 AM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

Ray it's similar to sun block. Your not completely blocking the sun with it just lessening the affects of the damage part, which is good.

I am with you Vitamin D is very important to your body, also helps with mood there is a link between deficiency and depression that they have been studying.

#19 | Posted by PinkyanTheBrain at 2017-06-15 11:39 AM | Reply

So glad they are working on a cure for you madscientist.

RSTYBEACH11 I had no clue you where souless you hide it so well. I'll pray this product returns your soul.

#20 | Posted by PinkyanTheBrain at 2017-06-15 11:44 AM | Reply

🖕

#21 | Posted by madscientist at 2017-06-15 12:00 PM | Reply

#18 | Posted by danni

In this case, I stand by "never." Every last one is poisonous to our body and thus harmful to our immune system. They can rid the body of cancerous tissue, but they can't change the conditions that caused cancer. It can't be done without correcting the nutritional imbalances that cause sickness.

I know this is an important subject to you. I think you'll find this book an eye opener.

www.amazon.com

#22 | Posted by Ray at 2017-06-15 12:59 PM | Reply

And the funding is coming from?

#16 | Posted by Petrous

Well the funding to pay for skin cancer is coming from all of us.

So I have no problem with everyone paying to develop skin cancer prevention products.

But I'm sure you do.

#23 | Posted by SpeakSoftly at 2017-06-15 01:15 PM | Reply

"Evidence suggests it will work even on redheads, who normally just burn in the sun."

DAYWALKERS!!!

#24 | Posted by Sycophant at 2017-06-15 01:23 PM | Reply

" It can't be done without correcting the nutritional imbalances that cause sickness."

I suspect that heredity is the largest predictor of cancer. Just as it is for heart disease. I don't doubt that many medications are harmful but statistically, with the help of modern medicine, people are living longer than ever. I am grateful to modern medicine for my daughter's life, she was just tested again and she is 100% cancer free. She wouldn't be alive without modern medicine, chemo and radiation.

#25 | Posted by danni at 2017-06-15 01:24 PM | Reply

I should probably have moved my family to Canada when they were young kids, they don't belong in a tropical environment.

#26 | Posted by danni at 2017-06-15 01:25 PM | Reply

She wouldn't be alive without modern medicine, chemo and radiation.

Or maybe she survived the cancer AND the therapy. People are conditioned to perceive a diagnosis of cancer as a death sentence. 90% of the time it goes away by itself, especially for the young.

I'm not going to change your mind. You owe it to yourself to look deeper into it. The book I suggested is a good start. As I looked deeper into the medical industry, the fraud, corruption and death toll is worse than anything I could have imagined.

#27 | Posted by Ray at 2017-06-15 02:43 PM | Reply

90% of cancer goes away on its own?!?

I'm going to need a credible link for that claim.

#28 | Posted by Danforth at 2017-06-15 02:47 PM | Reply

"People are conditioned to perceive a diagnosis of cancer as a death sentence. 90% of the time it goes away by itself, especially for the young." - #27 | Posted by Raystradamus at 2017-06-15 02:43 PM

Death cures cancer.

At least 90% of the time, according to Dr. Raystradamus.

Next up, Homeopathic Emergency Department.

#29 | Posted by Hans at 2017-06-15 02:51 PM | Reply

#28 | Posted by Danforth

Read the book.

#30 | Posted by Ray at 2017-06-15 03:01 PM | Reply

"Read the book."

GFY.

Provide a credible link. My researched number doesn't come close to your --------.

#31 | Posted by Danforth at 2017-06-15 03:03 PM | Reply

#29 | Posted by Hans at 2017-06-15 02:51 PM | Reply | Flag: Troll

Your retorts are so stupid, I don't know how else to respond.

#32 | Posted by Ray at 2017-06-15 03:03 PM | Reply

#31 | Posted by Danforth at 2017-06-15 03:03 PM | Reply | Flag: Troll

#33 | Posted by Ray at 2017-06-15 03:05 PM | Reply

You're a liar, and a dangerous one, if you're telling people 90% of cancers cure themselves.

Either link, or retract, -------.

#34 | Posted by Danforth at 2017-06-15 03:08 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

"I don't know how else to respond." - #32 | Posted by Raystradamus at 2017-06-15 03:03 PM

Of course you don't.

That's obvious.

#35 | Posted by Hans at 2017-06-15 03:08 PM | Reply

"90% of cancers cure themselves."

Giving bogus medical advice is abusive, irresponsible behavior.

#36 | Posted by Danforth at 2017-06-15 03:17 PM | Reply

And the funding is coming from?
#16 | Posted by Petrous
Well the funding to pay for skin cancer is coming from all of us.
But I'm sure you do.

#23 | POSTED BY SPEAKSOFTLY

I accept the need for the research if skin cancer research was the purpose.

I read the article as money being spent on how to get a tan without injury; hence my question.
And since I have friends and family that have had cancer, I'll suspect the last sentence was just being cute.

#37 | Posted by Petrous at 2017-06-15 03:18 PM | Reply

#34 | Posted by Danforth

Cancer can't be cured by poison, cutting and burning. That should be self evident to any thinking person.

In the cases claimed to be cured my medical intervention, the victim had to survive the cancer AND the damage done by the treatment. That's treating the symptom without addressing the root causes that weaken the immune system.

If you're researching institutions like Mayo Clinic and Sloan-Kettering, they pick easy cases so they can claim a high cure rate.

The book I suggested is well researched. If all you want to do is curse at me, there is no point continuing.

#38 | Posted by Ray at 2017-06-15 03:23 PM | Reply

#37 | Posted by Petrous

Yeah you read it from your POV of conservative science-skepticism and paranoid selfish greed.

"I hope this incredible science isn't being funded with MY taxes! We have a military that needs bombs and a mexico wall to build!"

#39 | Posted by SpeakSoftly at 2017-06-15 03:23 PM | Reply

"The book I suggested is well researched."

You found one idiot who undoubtedly cherry-picked results. Any claim 90% of cancers cure themselves is a dangerous lie, and an insult to anyone and everyone who every found it too late.

"If all you want to do is curse at me, there is no point continuing."

You deserve every bit of it. You should be ashamed to promote such horse manure.

All I can hope is your mind is gone. I'll repeat: giving bogus medical information is cruel and irresponsible.

#40 | Posted by Danforth at 2017-06-15 03:27 PM | Reply

"Cancer can't be cured by poison, cutting and burning."

You're either purposely misleading, or woefully ignorant. Cancers have been removed, and some people have then lived cancer-free, sometimes for decades. Cure enough for them.

#41 | Posted by Danforth at 2017-06-15 03:31 PM | Reply

"Cancer can't be cured by poison, cutting and burning."

I personally know people whose cancer was cured this way, and it's hard to imagine you don't.

Your lies are a disservice, even for this place.

Think about that for a minute, or preferably three weeks.

#42 | Posted by snoofy at 2017-06-15 03:35 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 2

Witch doctors would have had the same results.

#43 | Posted by Ray at 2017-06-15 03:44 PM | Reply

That is a pretty wild claim Ray. I know some cancer survivors that would like that to be true, but it's not, also know some that the cancer won.....

I'll repeat what Danforth said in case it didn't sink in: giving bogus medical information is cruel and irresponsible.

#44 | Posted by PinkyanTheBrain at 2017-06-15 03:45 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

"Witch doctors would have had the same results."

YOU LIE.

#45 | Posted by Danforth at 2017-06-15 03:45 PM | Reply

#41 | Posted by Danforth

Removing the cancer doesn't remove the underlying conditions that caused the cancer. Those same underlying conditions have to go somewhere else. That sets the stage for some other disease that my have no apparent connection to the original cancer.

Here's a couple of links.

oxygen4cells.com
www.healingcancernaturally.com

#46 | Posted by Ray at 2017-06-15 03:57 PM | Reply

YOU LIE.
#45 | Posted by Danforth

It's just too much trouble to spend $18 and spend some hours with the book.

The medical industry is designed to keep people chronically sick. There is no money in natural cures because they can't be patented.

#47 | Posted by Ray at 2017-06-15 04:02 PM | Reply

"Witch doctors would have had the same results."

Perhaps, if they also had platinins and radiation to kill the cancer.

#48 | Posted by snoofy at 2017-06-15 04:02 PM | Reply

"The medical industry is designed to keep people chronically sick."

Backdoor argument for Single Payer?
Ray, you sly old coot!

#49 | Posted by snoofy at 2017-06-15 04:04 PM | Reply

"Cancer can't be cured by poison, cutting and burning."

I wasn't too keen on going the poison route and wanted to try a naturalistic approach, but my surgeon said chemo was a must. She said, "Who is telling you you don't need chemo? Have them come in and see me, so I can't beat the ---- out of them." LOL My surgeon is feisty.

I do think, however, that some people have good results curing cancer through things like diet and supplements. I wasn't allowed to take supplements during chemo, but I did cut most sugar out of my diet. I ate fruit and some carbs but cut out sugar in things like drinks and desserts.

Vitamin D is good. I take it and have blood tests for it periodically.

A book I recommend is Radical Remission by Kelly Turner:

Kelly Turner's book, Radical Remission, highlights healing tactics used by unexpected survivors of advanced cancers.

thedoctorweighsin.com

My own approach for healing cancer has been to use both conventional and nonconventional methods. My own belief is that conventional treatments saved my life, but I do not discount nonconventional methods, of which there are many, so chosing the right ones for yourself are key.

#50 | Posted by Gal_Tuesday at 2017-06-15 04:05 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

"It's just too much trouble to spend $18 and spend some hours with the book."

Hell, I can find crappy medical conclusions for free. Why should I spend good money to buy printed horse manure?

#51 | Posted by Danforth at 2017-06-15 04:07 PM | Reply

"Surgery, cutting out the cancer inside me, saved my life. Of that I am certain. Would a witch doctor have worked as well? I don't think so."

So what do you think of Ray's claim, that 90% of cancers cure themselves?

#52 | Posted by Danforth at 2017-06-15 04:08 PM | Reply

"Removing the cancer doesn't remove the underlying conditions that caused the cancer. "

Sometimes it stops the spread.

And speaking of stoping the spread of cancers...STFU. If even ONE poor soul believes your malarkey, results could be dire.

#53 | Posted by Danforth at 2017-06-15 04:10 PM | Reply

Ray is basing the scientific argument on a guy that died in 1970.

Ignore ALL research on cancer since the 1960s and try to survive. I dare you.

#54 | Posted by rstybeach11 at 2017-06-15 04:11 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

"Cancer has to do with cellular respiration. When our cells lack oxygen for creating energy, they switch to sugar fermentation. Research Otto Warburg, two time Nobel Prize winner in the 30s."

We've learned a lot about cancer since the 30s.

For example, we deciphered the genetic code.

There are some cancers that were a six month death sentence thirty years ago. Today they have negligible impact on mortality, compared to a six month expectancy.

Is that because of witch doctors, Ray?

#55 | Posted by snoofy at 2017-06-15 04:12 PM | Reply

"Ray is basing the scientific argument on a guy that died in 1970."

And via a methodology that's had over 35 years to get clinical proof.

#56 | Posted by Danforth at 2017-06-15 04:13 PM | Reply

"So what do you think of Ray's claim, that 90% of cancers cure themselves?"

With modern medicine and enough government funding we should be able to get that down to 25%!

Signed,
Ray

#57 | Posted by snoofy at 2017-06-15 04:16 PM | Reply

So what do you think of Ray's claim, that 90% of cancers cure themselves?
#52 | Posted by Danforth

Cancer cells pop up every day. A healthy immune system cleans them up. Weak immune systems, not so much.

Fix the immune system and the cancer goes away.

#58 | Posted by Ray at 2017-06-15 04:22 PM | Reply

Interesting point. Medical costs have been going up for decades along with chronic diseases. Not a coincidence.

#59 | Posted by Ray at 2017-06-15 04:24 PM | Reply

#37 | Posted by Petrous

#39 | POSTED BY SPEAKSOFTLY

Really Speak? You haven't taken the time to read what I've posted to come up with your analysis.

I also believe our defense spending should be cut greatly with our bases being closed world-wide. The last war I supported would have been WWII. Everything since has been being the world policeman which I don't support at all.

I believe we should have no allies...except, in trade. By becoming an ally of a nation, their enemies become ours, we become 'required' to help them.

I believe in non-intervention, not isolation.

I believe the UN should be moved out of the US and probably better off in Switzerland.

LarryMohr explained the UN Charter to me many years ago - it's a treaty. We need to amend treaties that come before the Constitution -but where it is a conflict with our Nation.

#60 | Posted by Petrous at 2017-06-15 04:24 PM | Reply

Or disease that once killed don't now, and are just chronic

#61 | Posted by PinkyanTheBrain at 2017-06-15 04:27 PM | Reply

"Cancer cells pop up every day."

Well sure, if you call every abnormal cell division cancer.

"Fix the immune system and the cancer goes away."

FAKE NEWS.

"Medical costs have been going up for decades along with chronic diseases. Not a coincidence."

Not a correlation, either. Crappy, plastic foods increase disease. Increased disease and increased methods needed to fight said disease drives up medical costs.

#62 | Posted by Danforth at 2017-06-15 04:29 PM | Reply

Or disease that once killed don't now, and are just chronic
#61 | Posted by PinkyanTheBrain

Ain't that the truth. My parents lived to what would be considered a long age, 88 and 94.
I had to watch their slow decline because they believed in doctors.

#63 | Posted by Ray at 2017-06-15 04:30 PM | Reply

"II don't believe the public should be funding research on how to get a tan without getting cancer by taking a drug."

How else is the President's wife safely going to look her best?

#64 | Posted by snoofy at 2017-06-15 04:30 PM | Reply

I don't really feel comfortable telling other people what to do when it comes to cancer. I can only say what I've found helpful. I don't think there is a one size fits all treatment for every person and every cancer.

Other books I consulted during treatment:

Beating Cancer With Nutrition by Patrick Quillin

Herbal Medicine and Healing Cancer by Donald R. Yance

Also, on the woo-woo side of things, I studied Reiki You can't just read about it, but if you want to read about it:

Essential Reiki by Diane Stein

This is true. I remember reading that along the way.

Fix the immune system and the cancer goes away.

This is also true for the most part, but I'm not sure if it is always the case. For example, if someone got cancer from exposure to something toxic, I'm not sure a healthy immune system would always be able to overcome the toxicity.

#65 | Posted by Gal_Tuesday at 2017-06-15 04:32 PM | Reply

"My parents lived to what would be considered a long age, 88 and 94. I had to watch their slow decline because they believed in doctors."

Your post suggests you would've preferred swifter deaths at a younger age.

#66 | Posted by Danforth at 2017-06-15 04:33 PM | Reply

#62 | Posted by Danforth

Mass poisoning through medication exceeds them all.

"A review of studies in 1998 concluded that "overall 2,216,000 hospital patients experienced a serious ADR (adverse drug reaction) in the United States in 1994."4 An estimated 106,000 died, making adverse drug reactions the fourth leading cause of death, behind stroke but ahead of pulmonary disease and accidents.5 The authors called the rates "extremely high." Applying the same rates to the most recent census data projects 2,335,000 ADRs among hospitalized patients and 111,136 deaths in 2006.6 Risks increase with age as the ability of the kidney and liver to excrete drugs declines. Starfield, in a wider review of adverse effects, concludes that at least 225,000 patients die each year from all forms of medicine in a system prone to fragmented, excessive treatment.7"

The Risks of Prescription Drugs (A Columbia / SSRC Book (Privatization of Risk)) (p. 2). Columbia University Press. Kindle Edition.

#67 | Posted by Ray at 2017-06-15 04:34 PM | Reply

"Mass poisoning through medication exceeds them all."

Absolute nonsense. You clearly have no idea of the numbers you're throwing around.

Your willful stupidity is dangerous.

#68 | Posted by Danforth at 2017-06-15 04:35 PM | Reply

So good to be able to read this discussion and participate in it without terror in my heart. Woohoo! :)

#69 | Posted by Gal_Tuesday at 2017-06-15 04:35 PM | Reply

"II had to watch their slow decline because they believed in doctors."

Well they could have checked out unassisted years earlier.

We do a terrible job of planning for death in our health care "system.". The guy who said we ought to do better was accused of creating Death Panels. Quite possibly by you.

#70 | Posted by snoofy at 2017-06-15 04:36 PM | Reply

My immune system is overly healthy. As a result I suffer from psoriatic arthritis and plaque psoriasis.

Humira has really helped with this.

#71 | Posted by JeffJ at 2017-06-15 04:36 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

"My immune system is overly healthy."

Has it cured any cancers today?

#72 | Posted by Danforth at 2017-06-15 04:38 PM | Reply | Funny: 2

"I don't believe the public should be funding research on how to get a tan without getting cancer by taking a drug."

Joking aside, I don't think they were researching that.

The guys who made Viagra weren't trying to create ----- pills, either. But aren't you glad they did? Actually, that question may be for your wife.

#73 | Posted by snoofy at 2017-06-15 04:40 PM | Reply

#65 | Posted by Gal_Tuesday

Those are factors, but malnutrition is primary. Our bodies are designed to heal themselves. But they can't do it effectively if theyh missing something in our food. The standard American diet is notoriously bad for health.

#74 | Posted by Ray at 2017-06-15 04:42 PM | Reply

"Cancer cells pop up every day."
Well sure, if you call every abnormal cell division cancer.

Hmm, you may be right. Maybe what I read was that pre-cancerous cells pop up everyday and a healthy immune system eliminates them.

#75 | Posted by Gal_Tuesday at 2017-06-15 04:43 PM | Reply

Every cancer is directly attributable to a mutation in the genetic code.

This is why we are tailoring medicines to the mutation now. Aka the root cause.

You wouldn't know this if you were in the 1930s.

#76 | Posted by snoofy at 2017-06-15 04:44 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

You clearly have no idea of the numbers you're throwing around.
Your willful stupidity is dangerous.
#68 | Posted by Danforth

I just cited a source. Is that too much for you to read because it doesn't fit your mindset. Here's another one for you to ignore.

In her review, Starfield also concluded that, every year in the US, the medical system kills 106,000 patients as a result of the administration of FDA-approved pharmaceutical drugs.

You can type into the startpage.com search engine, "FDA why learn about adverse drug effects," and you'll find an FDA page which states that, indeed, 100,000 people die every year in the US from ingesting these medicines.

So let's put these numbers together.

400,000 patient deaths every year in US hospitals. 100,000 deaths every year from medicines. These deaths are directly caused by the medical system.

500,000 deaths every year.

That would be 5 MILLION deaths caused by the US medical system every decade.

Roughly 2.5 million people die every year in the US, from all causes (or roughly 25 million every decade). So 1 out of every 5 deaths in the US stems directly from the medical system.

nworeport.me

#77 | Posted by Ray at 2017-06-15 04:48 PM | Reply

"Humira has really helped with this."

Biologics also didn't exist in 1930.

#78 | Posted by snoofy at 2017-06-15 04:48 PM | Reply

"pre-cancerous cells pop up everyday"

It's called Apoptosis when the immune system clears them, and yes, it happens. That said, we as a society NEVER call that cancer; otherwise, EVERYONE has cancer. Nor does everyone have the right to proclaim themselves a "cancer survivor."

Except in Ray's world, where, voila! 90% of cancers cure themselves!!! But only if you change the definition we currently use.

Hence, my conclusion: irresponsible medical advice is irresponsible, not to mention dangerous.

#79 | Posted by Danforth at 2017-06-15 04:50 PM | Reply

"every year in the US, the medical system kills 106,000 patients"

And 600,000 will die from cancer in 2017
seer.cancer.gov

As I said: You clearly have no idea of the numbers you're throwing around.

#80 | Posted by Danforth at 2017-06-15 04:53 PM | Reply

"So 1 out of every 5 deaths in the US stems directly from the medical system."

Is it better in Sweden or something?

You seem to be arguing if we only got rid of medicine we would save 500,000 lives a year.

#81 | Posted by snoofy at 2017-06-15 04:54 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

Every cancer is directly attributable to a mutation in the genetic code.
#76 | Posted by snoofy

That's a classic deflection. "it's not our fault. Blame the genes"

Genes by themselves do nothing. They have to be "expressed" by chemical means. A highly acidic body, for example, would express genes to supply protein for repairing the site of inflammation.

Chronic inflammation could kick of a disease anywhere in our body.

#82 | Posted by Ray at 2017-06-15 04:55 PM | Reply

"400,000 patient deaths every year in US hospitals."

People die in hospitals??? STOP THE PRESSES!

Your arguments are getting more ridiculous--and more desperate--by the moment. Now you've sunk to using hospital deaths as (somehow) proof.

#83 | Posted by Danforth at 2017-06-15 04:55 PM | Reply

"That would be 5 MILLION deaths caused by the US medical system every decade."

Did you get this, folks?

Ray is counting every single in-hospital death as CAUSED BY THE HOSPITAL. Let that sink in for a minute.

#84 | Posted by Danforth at 2017-06-15 05:00 PM | Reply

It's called Apoptosis when the immune system clears them, and yes, it happens.

And it's called cancer when, due to some mutation along the pathway to apoptosis, the signal for programmed cell death is not acted upon.

That's why each type of cancer is unique, but we call them all cancer because we didn't know that thousands of years ago, all we knew is you feel the crabs pinching at your insides, and you're not long for this world. You know, crabs, like the zodiac sign cancer?

#85 | Posted by snoofy at 2017-06-15 05:01 PM | Reply

"Chronic inflammation could kick of a disease anywhere in our body."

And choosing liquid sugars like HFCS cause chronic inflammation. But that's the hospital's fault, right Ray?

#86 | Posted by Danforth at 2017-06-15 05:03 PM | Reply

This has gotten down to a battle or words.

Over fifty years ago, I took an interest in diet and nutrition from a book entitled, "Food is Your Best Medicine".
Disease is primarily diet related. That's what health boils down to.
Doctors are for people who have little knowledge or interest in what they put into their body.
The food manufacturers are happy to sell crappy food as long as they sell well.
Doctors are happy to sell poison, surgery and radiation therapy if people buy into it.

If my critics are happy with the system, then stay with it.
For me, I opted out. I do better by curing myself.

#87 | Posted by Ray at 2017-06-15 05:18 PM | Reply

"This has gotten down to a battle or words."

Exactly. Your words require a redefinition of cancer, to the point where everyone has cancer every single day.

"Disease is primarily diet related. That's what health boils down to."

I agree completely. That said, the claim that set me off was 90% of cancers cure themselves. It's dangerous --------, and God help anyone who buys into that crap and alters their medical choices believing their cancer will magically go away.

#88 | Posted by Danforth at 2017-06-15 05:26 PM | Reply

"I do better by curing myself."

Good luck the day of your heart attack. I'd love to be a fly on the wall, watching you...cure yourself.

#89 | Posted by Danforth at 2017-06-15 05:30 PM | Reply

"Every cancer is directly attributable to a mutation in the genetic code.
#76 | Posted by snoofy
That's a classic deflection. "

I like it when a guy with 1930s data calls the guy with 1980s data "classic."

#90 | Posted by snoofy at 2017-06-15 05:36 PM | Reply | Funny: 1

#90 | Posted by snoofy

#91 | Posted by Ray at 2017-06-15 05:40 PM | Reply

"1 out of every 5 deaths in the US stems directly from the medical system."

Riiiiiight.

Because if someone is in a car accident, and super-human efforts to save him fail...that death "stems directly from the medical system". Similarly, if someone lives to 103, but dies in the hospital, her death "stems directly from the medical system". The entire pretense is ludicrous.

Quick question, Ray: Can you taste the bitter ignorance when you post that dreck?

#92 | Posted by Danforth at 2017-06-15 05:40 PM | Reply

Humira has really helped with this.

#71 | Posted by JeffJ at 2017-06-15 04:36 PM | Reply | Flag:

You Sir are no GITMBOY.

#93 | Posted by LauraMohr at 2017-06-15 05:41 PM | Reply

"Mutations don't happen by themselves."

Tell that to a newborn who contracts cancer.

Have you no sense of decency, sir, at long last?

#94 | Posted by Danforth at 2017-06-15 05:42 PM | Reply

That said, the claim that set me off was 90% of cancers cure themselves.

As if I care. Cancer can't be cured in the sense of restoring a person back to full health.
Current treatments postpone the day of reckoning.

#95 | Posted by Ray at 2017-06-15 05:44 PM | Reply

Tell that to a newborn who contracts cancer.
Have you no sense of decency, sir, at long last?
#94 | Posted by Danforth

Then the mother should be examined. If the newborn was vaccinated, then so should the vaccines.

#96 | Posted by Ray at 2017-06-15 05:46 PM | Reply

"If the newborn was vaccinated, then so should the vaccines"

Haven't you done enough damage for one day?

#97 | Posted by Danforth at 2017-06-15 05:50 PM | Reply

#92 | Posted by Danforth

It was a shock to me ten years ago. That's why I quit.
Nowadays, I'm convinced that as a nation, we're screwed.

So I adapted. In some weird way, I enjoy the debates.

#98 | Posted by Ray at 2017-06-15 05:52 PM | Reply

"Current treatments postpone the day of reckoning."

That's a slap in the face of anyone who has beaten cancer. Clearly, no limit to your shame.

#99 | Posted by Danforth at 2017-06-15 05:53 PM | Reply

"In some weird way, I enjoy the debates."

In some concrete way, you're giving bogus medical information, all based on two centerpieces of idiocy:

1. Everyone has cancer, every day, and everyone over 5 years old is a bona fide "cancer survivor".
2. All in-hospital deaths are the fault of the medical system.

It'd be laughable, if it wasn't so dangerous.

#100 | Posted by Danforth at 2017-06-15 05:55 PM | Reply

"Disease is primarily diet related."

I'm not even disagreeing with that, Ray.

What did JeffJ eat to get plaque psoriasis, and what can he eat to make it go away?

Until you can answer that, your statement isn't worth a whole lot to him, now is it?

#101 | Posted by snoofy at 2017-06-15 05:58 PM | Reply

Not to worry. I'll be ignored.

#102 | Posted by Ray at 2017-06-15 05:58 PM | Reply

"The illogic of promoting health by poisoning is indicative of how badly Americans think."

It's part for the course, well at least once the subset of Americans who think guns keep us safe.

Also, "Health Promotion" is a term of art in public health, and it pretty much says what you're saying: Eat right, get exercise, brush and floss. But that's not going to protect you from measles when your neighbors go native and compromise herd immunity.

#103 | Posted by snoofy at 2017-06-15 06:04 PM | Reply

"You sound kinda like Trump, except you haven't realized health care can be so complicated yet."

Bears repeating.

#104 | Posted by Danforth at 2017-06-15 06:10 PM | Reply

"Mutations don't happen by themselves. Again, it goes back to body chemistry and diet."

Setting aside the fact that spontaneous mutations happen all the time, and apropos to the thread title, ultraviolet radiation, such as that from the sun, is a powerful mutagen.

So potent that there are billions of brown people who adapted as best they can to protect themselves.

#105 | Posted by snoofy at 2017-06-15 06:10 PM | Reply

"Not to worry. I'll be ignored."

No, Ray, you'd probably be in line for a Nobel Prize in medicine.

Like the guy who proved stomach ulcers aren't from stress but from bacterial infection. "Nonsense" they said, "no bacteria can thrive in the acid bath of the stomach!"

So he drank a beaker of helicobacter pylorii and gave himself ulcers.

Be that guy, Ray.

#106 | Posted by snoofy at 2017-06-15 06:15 PM | Reply

Start here. www.youtube.com

Fundamentally, one has to clean their diet of processed foods and oils, sweets and medications.
In place, more veggies, raw when possible. Moderate on meat.

Take omega6/omega3 in a ratio of no more than 3 to 1.

Vitamin C, ten grams a day.
Need sun or sun lamp for vitamin D. Say about ten minutes a day.

Get a blood test. See lef.com.

Diseased don't have one cause. There are a multiplicity of factors.
That's a good place to start.

#107 | Posted by Ray at 2017-06-15 06:16 PM | Reply

So he drank a beaker of helicobacter pylorii and gave himself ulcers.
Be that guy, Ray.
#106 | Posted by snoofy

All it proved is that helicobacter pylorii thrive when other bacteria were lacking. That's what's bad about antibiotics.
When digestion is screwed up, it starts a cascade of imbalances throughout the body.

#108 | Posted by Ray at 2017-06-15 06:20 PM | Reply

#104 | Posted by Danforth

The chemical reactions in our body are terribly complicated. As is the confusion and the disinformation in the public domain.
Dietary requirements are far more simple.

#109 | Posted by Ray at 2017-06-15 06:24 PM | Reply

"All it proved is that helicobacter pylorii thrive when other bacteria were lacking."

It did quite a bit more than that.
Notably, it presented a way to (gasp) cure ulcers, rather than just treat them with bedrest, drinking cream, and time off from work to reduce stress.

But why am I explaining this to a guy who already knows everything?

#110 | Posted by snoofy at 2017-06-15 06:29 PM | Reply

But why am I explaining this to a guy who already knows everything?
#110 | Posted by snoofy

It comes with age and much self education. I never lost my curiosity and the love of learning.

I understand that. It can be prevented by paying attention to factors that upset the balance of intestinal flora. Sugar is a major causative factor. Chronic stress increases acid.

#111 | Posted by Ray at 2017-06-15 06:45 PM | Reply

You don't sound like a moron, when not talking about cancer.

#112 | Posted by snoofy at 2017-06-15 07:06 PM | Reply

C'mon! You called me a moron when we were talking about economics too.

www.healingcancernaturally.com

#113 | Posted by Ray at 2017-06-15 07:15 PM | Reply

"You called me a moron when we were talking about economics too."

Were you trying to get him to sell short on the Dow all these years?

"There is a good description about the cause and prevention of cancer on this link."

Is that actual cancer, or your everybody-has-it-every-day definition of cancer?

#114 | Posted by Danforth at 2017-06-15 07:22 PM | Reply

Is that actual cancer, or your everybody-has-it-every-day definition of cancer?

#115 | Posted by Ray at 2017-06-15 07:26 PM | Reply

"If you have to ask that question, you're convinced it's -------- before you read it."

I have to ask the question because you haven't made the distinction yet. Nor have you backed off from blaming the medical industry for everyone who dies in a hospital.

Why should I, or anyone for that matter, take ANYTHING you say (or link to) seriously? This is just your medical version of Dow 1400.

#116 | Posted by Danforth at 2017-06-15 07:28 PM | Reply

My favorite part was "How I beat pancreatic cancer" by Steve Jobs.

#117 | Posted by snoofy at 2017-06-15 07:33 PM | Reply

""How I beat pancreatic cancer" by Steve Jobs."

One of the 90 percenters, I'd guess. Probably let it beat itself.
~Ray-Ray

#118 | Posted by Danforth at 2017-06-15 07:38 PM | Reply

And I won't.

You would prove me wrong about all the years I've spent on this site.

#119 | Posted by Ray at 2017-06-15 07:40 PM | Reply

"And I won't.'

Of course you won't; your 90% claim falls apart the moment you do. Instead, you avoid admitting the truth. Same with your idiotic claim that all hospital deaths are somehow the fault of the medical industry: cowardly avoidance of admitting you're full of shiite.

"You would prove me wrong about all the years I've spent on this site.'

You admitted you were wrong all those years. Remember how you miscalculated about Dow 1400, or is this yet another piece of proof you won't be able to find?

#120 | Posted by Danforth at 2017-06-15 07:56 PM | Reply

This is the root cause of cancer:
"Cancer, above all other diseases, has countless secondary causes. But, even for cancer, there is only one prime cause. Summarized in a few words, the prime cause of cancer is the replacement of the respiration of oxygen in normal body cells by a fermentation of sugar. All normal body cells meet their energy needs by respiration of oxygen, whereas cancer cells meet their energy needs in great part by fermentation."

None of the standard remedies address the lack of oxygen. Without addressing that issue, they only appear to cure cancer by removing the symptom. Thousands of Americans are needlessly killed every year because they believe they can be cured of disease by poisoning or having body parts removed. Like it or not, that's the way it is.

You admitted you were wrong all those years.

I'm dead right about the misplaced trust Americans have in authority.

#121 | Posted by Ray at 2017-06-15 08:14 PM | Reply

"Summarized in a few words, the prime cause of cancer is the replacement of the respiration of oxygen in normal body cells by a fermentation of sugar."

How does that cause cancer?
Precise mechanism of action much?

"None of the standard remedies address the lack of oxygen. "

I guess breathing must not be a standard remedy then.

#122 | Posted by snoofy at 2017-06-15 09:12 PM | Reply

Dr. Bergman can explain it better than me.
www.youtube.com

#123 | Posted by Ray at 2017-06-15 10:06 PM | Reply

"Dr. Bergman can explain it better than me."

The other videos on a youtube page are often akin to Amazon's "Customers who bought your item, also bought..."

Other videos on the Good Doctor's page include: "How to Grow Hair on a Bald Head", "How Old Men Can Feel "Empowered", and "Cancer! The Forbidden Cures"

They sure know their audience.

#124 | Posted by Danforth at 2017-06-15 10:12 PM | Reply

Yes, a healthy diet is very important to one's health, but it is not a magic bullet. I remember reading accounts of athletes, vegetarians and a vegetarian athlete who were shocked and dismayed when they received a cancer diagnosis. I also have an elderly friend who was very particular about his diet and often couldn't refrain from warning others about their food choice. Some people found it annoying, but I know he meant well. Long story short, he had a series of strokes a few months ago and is now in a rehab center/nursing home trying to recover. I shudder to think what the menus are like there.

#125 | Posted by Gal_Tuesday at 2017-06-15 10:19 PM | Reply

"Yes, a healthy diet is very important to one's health, but it is not a magic bullet."

Sssssshhhh. Ray thinks because it worked for him, it must work for everyone. Remember...90% of cancers cure themselves...(just not the cancers society refers to as cancers).

#126 | Posted by Danforth at 2017-06-15 10:22 PM | Reply

Here's a site that was recommended to me when I had cancer as a way to beat it through diet and without conventional medicine:

Chris Beat Cancer

www.chrisbeatcancer.com

#127 | Posted by Gal_Tuesday at 2017-06-15 10:25 PM | Reply

#126 | Posted by Danforth

You're just trolling.

Disease has everything to do with with chemical imbalances. Diet isn't the only reason.

Then they're doing something wrong! This is not complicated except to you.

#128 | Posted by Ray at 2017-06-15 10:38 PM | Reply

"You're just trolling."

I'm trolling? Gee, I was hoping you were, when you claimed 90% of cancers cure themselves, and then ran away when it was pointed out NO ONE ELSE in society calls every odd split of cells "cancer". Or when you claimed 1 in 5 deaths are due to the medical industry, before it was pointed out 80% of those deaths are in hospitals, and you've assigned 100% of those deaths at the feet of medicine.

It's almost as if your theories and the truth are miles and miles apart.

"Then they're doing something wrong! "

Damn straight. They didn't choose their grandparents properly.

"This is not complicated except to you."

Your one anecdotal self-story has all the proof of one anecdotal self-story. As Gal pointed out, we all know folks who seemingly do everything right, and still roll snake eyes. Not everyone's health was born on third base.

#129 | Posted by Danforth at 2017-06-15 10:46 PM | Reply

Danforth, just pencil in "90% of precancerous cells" and move on.

Ray other than the biological baloney, your points are not in notable discord with not being a kook and a nutter.

Your problem is you don't know enough biology to spot all the problems with the things you're saying about medicine.

Which is the same problem you have with economics, as it turns out.

#130 | Posted by snoofy at 2017-06-15 10:54 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

"pencil in "90% of precancerous cells" and move on."

In that case, congratulations are in order for both of us. We're both cancer survivors!!! Who knew?

#131 | Posted by Danforth at 2017-06-15 11:02 PM | Reply

Ironically, my daughter's oncolgogist called her today to giver her the report about her recent blood tests and catscan. He pronounced her "cured" not in "remission". WE are so happy that it is indescribable. We attribute him, a great doctor, and modern medicine. They saved my daughter and that is not a lie, it was today, that was the message she received. She has passed 5 years cancer free. Now they don't consider her to be in remission, they consider her to be cured! Sorry Ray, I'm sticking with modern medicine, I do understand some of your beliefs, like I don't let them give me antibiotics unless I am in serious illness, which I was about 9 months ago, but other than that I don't let doctors give me unnecessary drugs. But, also, they save lives! They saved my daughter! Hooray for modern medicine! Thank God for modern medicine. But, understand too, my daughter's oncologist told her he didn't want her to take any more medicine, no more chemo, nothing. He was as happy as we are! He's a great man and we love him, BTW, he treated her for these last few months strictly on Medicaid payments, he didn't make any money. We are so grateful to him.

#132 | Posted by danni at 2017-06-15 11:04 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 2

"This is not complicated except to you."

Sure. I read up on anti-cancer diets when I had cancer, and there are many, so, yes, it did get complicated. And confusing.

#133 | Posted by Gal_Tuesday at 2017-06-15 11:12 PM | Reply

"She has passed 5 years cancer free. Now they don't consider her to be in remission, they consider her to be cured!"

Wonderful news, Danni! So happy for her and for you!

#134 | Posted by Gal_Tuesday at 2017-06-15 11:14 PM | Reply

Thanks Gal, it's a happy day! A day I honestly feared would never come. An amazing day! Halleluiah! And yes, I do thank God! I have become much more reliant on my relationship with God than I ever was before but, don't worry, not in some evangelical, born again way. No, in a very personal, spiritual way, I don't attend any church but I do talk to God every day.

#135 | Posted by danni at 2017-06-15 11:22 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

Testify, sister! I love it, and you've earned it. :)

#136 | Posted by Gal_Tuesday at 2017-06-15 11:26 PM | Reply

Congrats on the great news, Danni. It's a wonderful day for you and your entire family.

#137 | Posted by Danforth at 2017-06-15 11:26 PM | Reply

#132 that's awesome news danni! Huge day for your family.

#138 | Posted by PinkyanTheBrain at 2017-06-15 11:41 PM | Reply

GREAT NEWS Danni!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Hugs dear.

#139 | Posted by LauraMohr at 2017-06-15 11:46 PM | Reply

Congrats on the great news to you and all your family, Danni.

#140 | Posted by Corky at 2017-06-16 12:12 AM | Reply

Wow Danni, thanks for doctors and new medicine and god and all that but it's your daughter that fought and won. One tough cookie.

#141 | Posted by bruceaz at 2017-06-16 12:18 AM | Reply

The biological processes that take place in the body are extremely complex. I wouldn't be surprised that there are processes that do garbage collection on pre-cancerous (i.e. abnormal) cells. Also, I wouldn't be surprised that these garbage collection processes can be overwhelmed which would result in pre-cancerous cells turning cancerous. However, it would seem that once cancerous cells emerge, some type of external intervention (cutting, poisoning, burning) would be required to eliminate them or make them inert (i.e. stop dividing). It would seem that external intervention is about the only remedy to dealing with the emergence of cancerous cells. Otherwise why would the body strive so mightily to prevent them from occurring in the first place if it could deal with them once they became cancerous?

The question to be answered is: What caused the garbage collection processes to be overwhelmed? Was it that the rate of pre-cancerous cell growth was to high to be handled by the normal operations of garbage collection? Was garbage collection compromised? Did garbage collection not recognize the pre-cancerous cell and as a result, did not consider it a threat?

It would seem that the solution to dealing with cancer has to address the existence of cancerous cells and the conditions that allowed them to come into existence.

#142 | Posted by FedUpWithPols at 2017-06-17 06:28 AM | Reply