Thursday, May 18, 2017

The white police officer who fatally shot Terence Crutcher, an unarmed black man whose car stalled in the middle of the road in Tulsa, Oklahoma last year, was found not guilty of first-degree murder on Wednesday evening.

Comments

Strange....the headline said "manslaughter" but the article says "first-degree murder"

In any case....I thought with the video evidence that the cop would not be acquitted for this.

#1 | Posted by eberly at 2017-05-18 08:57 AM | Reply

FTA...

"Her attorneys claimed she feared Crutcher was under the influence of PCP, a hallucinogenic drug. Police found PCP in Crutcher's car, and an autopsy report later revealed that Crutcher had the drug in his system at the time of his death."

unfortunately this was probably a factor in the jury's decision.

#2 | Posted by eberly at 2017-05-18 09:06 AM | Reply

Cops are not supposed to shoot people because they are afraid. They are supposed to shoot people only if there is something happen that in reality threatens their lives. That wasn't the case here. Nobody should be shot because a cop is scared. Ever.

I can't believe that the law sees it differently.

#3 | Posted by Sully at 2017-05-18 11:08 AM | Reply | Newsworthy 4

This article should be front page news.

#3 I agree. I also believe that instances like this are fuel for the fire. Public trust for LEOs is in the tank.

#4 | Posted by lfthndthrds at 2017-05-18 11:34 AM | Reply

"II can't believe that the law sees it differently"

I find it easy to believe this cop walked. Chalk up another victory for institutional racism.

#5 | Posted by snoofy at 2017-05-18 12:43 PM | Reply

#5 | Posted by snoofy at 2017-05-18 12:43 PM | Reply | Flag:

I'm not surprpised that the cop walked. But I would be surprised if the law actually says that cops are allowed to shoot people because they feel scared.

#6 | Posted by Sully at 2017-05-18 12:52 PM | Reply

From the video, I thought this was an easy case of misconduct at least.

#7 | Posted by BruceBanner at 2017-05-18 08:19 PM | Reply

"But I would be surprised if the law actually says that cops are allowed to shoot people because they feel scared.
#6 | POSTED BY SULLY"

A jury of reasonable men and women just decided the law says precisely that.

#8 | Posted by snoofy at 2017-05-18 08:27 PM | Reply

Not surprised. Cops get by with WAY TOO MUCH.

#9 | Posted by LauraMohr at 2017-05-18 08:41 PM | Reply

You should be because it doesn't. The OK statute permits use of force, including deadly force, "if [ the actor] reasonably believes it is necessary to do so to prevent death or great bodily harm to himself or herself or another or to prevent the commission of a forcible felony." Subsection D

Much better article from the local paper. http://www.tulsaworld.com/news/bettyshelby/not-guilty-jury-acquits-officer-betty-shelby-of-
manslaughter-charge/article_cfdc970b-2b10-5f15-b4c1-711c5da4cc03.html

#10 | Posted by et_al at 2017-05-18 09:27 PM | Reply

"The OK statute permits use of force, including deadly force, "if [ the actor] reasonably believes it is necessary to do so to prevent death or great bodily harm to himself or herself or another or to prevent the commission of a forcible felony." Subsection D "

So you're both right.

#11 | Posted by BruceBanner at 2017-05-18 11:34 PM | Reply

So you're both right.

How so?

#12 | Posted by et_al at 2017-05-18 11:40 PM | Reply

#10 | Posted by et_al at 2017-05-18 09:27 PM | Reply | Flag:

There's a huge difference between being scared and having to reason to believe that imminet death or bodily harm is possible. I think the wording should be updated because it seems that people tend to not understand the difference between "I was afraid something very bad might happen to me" and "I had reason to believe that something very bad was about to happen to me". And I think it needs to be clear that a hunch is not a reasonable basis for believing anything.

#13 | Posted by Sully at 2017-05-19 09:35 AM | Reply | Newsworthy 2

People who are easily scared should not be cops.

#14 | Posted by 726 at 2017-05-19 12:44 PM | Reply

Large black man, small white female officer...while I don't agree with the verdict, I never expected a different outcome considering the gender and ethnic makeup of the jury.

#15 | Posted by johnny_hotsauce at 2017-05-19 12:45 PM | Reply

I think the fact that they found PCP in the vehicle and in his system affected the jury as well.

without that...how does any juror who sees that video come to the conclusion the officer was justified?

and don't get me wrong...the PCP doesn't justify it either but I can see why some folks would.

#16 | Posted by eberly at 2017-05-19 12:51 PM | Reply

#16 | Posted by eberly at 2017-05-19 12:51 PM | Reply | Flag:

You're probably right. People seem to believe that PCP turns people into superhuman beserkers 100% of the time.

As a side note: Never done it myself but everyone I know who has admitted to doing it claims they didn't know what it was when they smoked it.

#17 | Posted by Sully at 2017-05-19 01:09 PM | Reply

How so?

#12 | POSTED BY ET_AL AT 2017-05-18 11:40 PM | FLAG:

"if [ the actor] reasonably believes it is necessary" seems to equal emotional intensity. Is they believe it, then it becomes true to them and therefore they act accordingly.

Is that not what happens in these cases?

#18 | Posted by BruceBanner at 2017-05-20 12:25 AM | Reply

"(If) they believe it, then it becomes true"

Absolutely.

It's the Tinkerbelle Theory of law enforcement.

#19 | Posted by Danforth at 2017-05-20 12:51 AM | Reply

You're only focusing on part of the test and omitting the object of the belief, risk of injury or death.

Is that belief reasonable?

The test evokes the "hypothetical reasonable man" standard.

It examines whether a hypothetical reasonable person would hold that belief in risk of injury or death in the same or similar circumstances as the actor.

If yes, then force was justified. If no, then not.

#20 | Posted by et_al at 2017-05-20 01:08 AM | Reply

"Is that belief reasonable?"

Isn't it reasonable that any woman be afraid of any man?

Don't we put locks on our doors because beliefs that we might get broken into are reasonable?

#21 | Posted by snoofy at 2017-05-20 01:41 AM | Reply

"Be reminded, I'm trying to put this in the most simple terms for illustrative purposes.

Me too.

But I'm probably illustrating something else.

And that is the way the law is worded, reasonable beliefs need only seem reasonably believable to the person acting on them.

#22 | Posted by snoofy at 2017-05-20 01:44 AM | Reply

#22 | POSTED BY SNOOFY

That's not the law , et_al cited it.

You are a literalist, it should be easy for you?

#23 | Posted by AndreaMackris at 2017-05-20 01:47 AM | Reply

This is the law,

#24 | Posted by snoofy at 2017-05-20 01:50 AM | Reply

Perhaps if Boaz were here, he could explain to us it's right for women to be in fear of alpha men, because it's only the thin veneer of liberal civilization which keeps the alphas from bonking them on the head and dragging them back to the cave.

#25 | Posted by snoofy at 2017-05-20 01:52 AM | Reply

Boaz, you're the man! They are now making crap up about you and then knocking you down without you ever having to post, now that's something.

#26 | Posted by Crassus at 2017-05-20 01:56 AM | Reply