Thursday, May 18, 2017

Chris Cornell,the lead singer of Soundgarden and Audioslave, died unexpectedly Wednesday night while on tour in Detroit. He was 52. The death was called "sudden and unexpected" in a statement from his publicist and the cause is unknown. Cornell was best known for fronting the two iconic bands and singing the theme song for James Bond film Casino Royale. He was scheduled to play the festival Rock the Range in Columbus, Ohio, tonight.

Comments

This one hurts

#1 | Posted by LauraMohr at 2017-05-18 04:28 AM | Reply

Heard this on my ride in this morning. He was one of my favorites.

RIP and condolences to the family.

#3 | Posted by lfthndthrds at 2017-05-18 06:37 AM | Reply

Rip
He did a great cover of Billie Jean.

#4 | Posted by Federalist at 2017-05-18 08:26 AM | Reply

Sad news. The fourth great voice of Grunge is gone Kurt Cobain, Layne Stanley, Scott Weiland and now Chris Cornell R.I.P.

#5 | Posted by gracieamazed at 2017-05-18 08:44 AM | Reply

This discussion has moved.

#6 | Posted by retort at 2017-05-18 08:53 AM | Reply

I love grunge. It's a crying shame how many of the icons are already gone. A lot of them were lost to drugs.

Who's left other than Pearl Jam among the giants of grunge? Foo Fighters sort of counts because of Dave Grohl, but the band didn't blow up until after grunge was mostly over as a major force in music.

#7 | Posted by rcade at 2017-05-18 08:56 AM | Reply

most head-bangers are in traction now.

#8 | Posted by kudzu at 2017-05-18 09:16 AM | Reply

Another great talent gone. RIP. Especially tragic because the word emerging is probable suicide. Apparently he was found in the bathroom with something wrapped around his neck by a friend he wife called when she couldn't reach him and he had been acting 'differently' recently.

I was a grunge fan early on. I had a friend who was connected to the scene in Seattle. Followed all the greats before most anybody knew of them outside the area - heck before anyone heard of Grunge. It is kind of crazy there is only Eddie Vedder left out of the big voices of Grunge. While I am a big fan of Dave Grohl and Foo Fighters (more so than Nirvana even) it's not Grunge and he wasn't the voice of Nirvana.

#9 | Posted by GalaxiePete at 2017-05-18 09:51 AM | Reply

"The best death is the unexpected one" - Caesar (paraphrased by Pumpkinhead)

#10 | Posted by pumpkinhead at 2017-05-18 09:54 AM | Reply

f'd up.

One of the best rock voices ever.

RIP BUDDY.

www.youtube.com

#11 | Posted by AuntieSocial at 2017-05-18 11:21 AM | Reply

I'm "looking California/feeling Minnesota" right about now.

#12 | Posted by lee_the_agent at 2017-05-18 11:25 AM | Reply

In my very humble opinion, You Know My Name is the best Bond theme song ever written. And that is saying a lot considering some of the extraordinary Bond theme songs over the decades. Though I still turn the volume up when McCartney comes on the radio singing Live And Let Die.

#13 | Posted by moder8 at 2017-05-18 11:57 AM | Reply

All my friends are brown and red.
All my friends are skeletons.

#14 | Posted by madscientist at 2017-05-18 12:45 PM | Reply

Truly sad. What a loss of a voice. Cornell could go from a scream to full voiced and soulful to a bluesey rasp in the space of a verse. As everyone else has said before me - Kurt Cobaine, Layne Staley, Scott Weiland, and now Chris Cornell - the beautiful voices that carried me through my teens are gone. Eddie Vedder alone survives.

3 of the 5 singing together here. www.youtube.com

#15 | Posted by zeropointnrg at 2017-05-18 12:47 PM | Reply

My apologies, I thought Vedder was in that song. But Hunger Strike to put him together with Chris Cornell.

#16 | Posted by zeropointnrg at 2017-05-18 12:49 PM | Reply

Hillary Clinton needs to stop killing people!

#17 | Posted by Sycophant at 2017-05-18 01:24 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

Cornell, 52, was found dead early Thursday in his room at the MGM Grand Detroit, police said. The Wayne County Medical Examiner's Office ruled his death as suicide by hanging. A full autopsy report has not been completed, the medical examiner said in a statement.

#18 | Posted by sawdust at 2017-05-18 03:13 PM | Reply

#18 I just saw that. Somehow makes it even worse. :-(

#19 | Posted by gracieamazed at 2017-05-18 03:42 PM | Reply

I love Cornell's work but I'm not feeling it as a Bond song.

My top 5 are Live and Let Die (Paul McCartney and Wings), Skyfall (Adele), Goldfinger (Shirley Bassey), Diamonds Are Forever (Bassey) and Nobody Does It Better (Carly Simon).

#20 | Posted by rcade at 2017-05-18 04:14 PM | Reply

This great Soundgarden song is eerie in light of the news:

www.youtube.com

#21 | Posted by rcade at 2017-05-18 04:21 PM | Reply

rcade- i agree with your list except for Duran Durans "view to a kill" should be in there. Goldfinger is my number one.

#22 | Posted by Alexandrite at 2017-05-18 04:46 PM | Reply

I love '80s music, but I'm not sure I want a Bond song to sound like that decade. I did love "View to a Kill" when it was new, though.

I would've liked to see Depeche Mode get a Bond song, preferably for a movie where 007 spends a lot of time in dank underground German music dance clubs with exposed pipes.

#23 | Posted by rcade at 2017-05-18 07:13 PM | Reply

Andrew Wood was the first of these grunge rockers to die.

#24 | Posted by dragfreedrift at 2017-05-18 08:49 PM | Reply

you can have everything and still want to off yourself...

depressing.

#25 | Posted by AuntieSocial at 2017-05-19 12:04 AM | Reply

His FINAL show can be seen here www.youtube.com

#26 | Posted by LauraMohr at 2017-05-19 06:30 AM | Reply