Monday, May 15, 2017

Box Office Mojo: For the second weekend in a row it's Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2 at the top of the weekend box office as it delivered an estimated $63 million for a domestic cume over $246 million. ... In second was Fox's release of the Amy Schumer and Goldie Hawn comedy Snatched bringing in an estimated $17.5 million. ... [B]oth King Arthur: Legend of the Sword and Snatched fell below Mojo's forecast. In the case of King Arthur it opened well below our estimation as the $175 million budgeted feature couldn't even crack $15 million over the three-day.

Alternate links: Google News | Twitter

King Arthur has an interesting split on Rotten Tomatoes, where it was liked by 27% of critics and 79% of filmgoers.

Comments

I hadn't even heard of it. What a marketing failure.

#1 | Posted by Sycophant at 2017-05-15 05:06 PM | Reply

It will be hard to top this retelling of King Arthur.

www.youtube.com

#2 | Posted by Tor at 2017-05-15 06:29 PM | Reply

Or this one.

www.youtube.com

#3 | Posted by tontonmacoute at 2017-05-15 09:17 PM | Reply

Another scene

www.youtube.com

#4 | Posted by tontonmacoute at 2017-05-15 09:25 PM | Reply

I don't know why Hollywood would feel the need to re-write stories that people have found appealing for centuries. Even from the standpoint of chasing the latest trend, this was a stupid choice. Game of Thrones is a big deal right now and the original legends have plenty of sex/betrayal/fratricide/magic. All they had to do was base the script on some of the more sordid stories. Instead, they make up this "King Arthur grew up on the streets!" angle and fail miserably. Eight Mile came out in 2002, I think 15 years is a bit long too wait to ride that coattail.

#5 | Posted by Sully at 2017-05-16 09:28 AM | Reply

My guess is the green lighters on the film issued in chips because they hoped Hunam's appeal would win the day.
Wrrrrrrrrong.

#6 | Posted by Doc_Sarvis at 2017-05-16 12:03 PM | Reply

The early 1980's Excalibur move was great.

I thought the new King Arthur movie looked good. Despite the poor box office performance I will watch it at some point.

I generally ignore the things that are spoon fed to me by the media or the fickle general public.

#7 | Posted by jamesgelliott at 2017-05-16 03:02 PM | Reply

"I thought the new King Arthur movie looked good"

The promos had Arthur doing karate moves. It looked ridiculous