Thursday, April 20, 2017

JUST one diet drink a day can triple the risk of a deadly stroke, a study suggests.

The researchers also found links to dementia described as a "worrying association" by experts.

Alternate links: Google News | Twitter

But the findings were dismissed by some British authorities, while others have called for more investigation.

The US study found those who drank a can of artificially-sweetened pop -- such as Diet Coke or Pepsi Max -- daily were at three times the risk of suffering the most common form of stroke compared to non-drinkers.

They were also 2.9 times more likely to develop Alzheimer's. But after accounting for all lifestyle factors, the researchers found the link to dementia was statistically insignificant.

Comments

This is why I don't drink soda, and especially diet soda.

Instead, I squeeze water from stones.

I just don't trust aspartame.

#1 | Posted by HeliumRat at 2017-04-20 07:47 PM | Reply

Soda is horrible for you. Period.

Diet. Regular. Whatever.

#2 | Posted by jpw at 2017-04-20 08:02 PM | Reply

Beer is my soda of choice.

#3 | Posted by GOnoles92 at 2017-04-20 08:10 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

Remember when Michelle Hussein OBAMA was trying to poison our children with encouraging a healthy diet!

It was almost as heinous as Barry suggesting property inflated tires will get you better mileage

Glad we have "real" leadership now

#4 | Posted by ChiefTutMoses at 2017-04-20 08:19 PM | Reply | Funny: 1

I'm glad we drink very little soda in our house.

Nothing good about that stuff

#5 | Posted by eberly at 2017-04-20 08:23 PM | Reply

I should be OK. I cut my pop with tap water from Flint.

#6 | Posted by 101Chairborne at 2017-04-20 09:06 PM | Reply

Diet food is poison. it should be removed from shelves.

#7 | Posted by SheepleSchism at 2017-04-20 09:23 PM | Reply

Ever drink one of those diet drinks and 10 minutes later have that gawd awful taste at the back of your throat?? NASSSSSSSSYYYYYY

#8 | Posted by LauraMohr at 2017-04-20 11:41 PM | Reply

The sad part that no one is acknowledging, is that your government FDA says it's fine for you to consume. What else do they let jack leg companies put on shelves that's killing us?

#9 | Posted by lfthndthrds at 2017-04-21 06:18 AM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

Good to know, I just shipped a case to Mar Lardo and the Whitehouse. Fingers crossed.

#10 | Posted by bored at 2017-04-21 12:54 PM | Reply | Funny: 2

The only soda I drink is Schweppes Tonic - with my gin.

#11 | Posted by MSgt at 2017-04-21 02:18 PM | Reply

#10 There is no way we could tell the difference if he were indeed to have a stroke.

#12 | Posted by 726 at 2017-04-21 03:54 PM | Reply

The only soda I drink is Schweppes Tonic - with my gin.

#11 | POSTED BY MSGT AT 2017-04-21 02:18 PM | FLAG:

I do Schweppes ginger ale with my Goose. Hopefully it's not going to give me a stroke.

#13 | Posted by lfthndthrds at 2017-04-22 03:10 PM | Reply

The only soda I drink is Schweppes Tonic - with my gin.

#11 | POSTED BY MSGT AT 2017-04-21 02:18 PM | FLAG: