Monday, April 17, 2017

In the past 20 years, high school seniors have moved toward the view that it's ideal if mothers can stay home with children – even though they also support gender equality in the workplace.

Brianna Hoffman had a lot going on growing up. She was a three-sport athlete, played multiple instruments in the school band, and pulled late nights and constant rehearsals working stage crew for her high school's theater productions in Hampstead, N.H. She couldn't have done it all, she says, without her mom, who was mostly stay-at-home while her father worked in sales at a small power equipment company.

"It was better to have one parent [at home]," she says. "My mom was always there, she could help me with my homework and drive me to stuff. I wouldn't have been able to have all of those experiences if she wasn't there to ... I don't want to say be my taxi, but we've always joked about that a little bit."

Comments

Only the very rich and very poor can afford to do this. For most of the rest of us, it requires 2 incomes to pay the bills. Although, if taxes continue to climb, it may be worth looking at the concept of one of us dropping out of the workforce.

#1 | Posted by bogey1355 at 2017-04-17 03:29 PM | Reply

@#1 ... For most of the rest of us, it requires 2 incomes to pay the bills. ...

Yup.

#2 | Posted by LampLighter at 2017-04-17 03:32 PM | Reply

For most of the rest of us, it requires 2 income to pay the life styles we want (and our data hoggers), but not necessarily need.

#3 | Posted by Petrous at 2017-04-17 03:51 PM | Reply

My wife and I had to leave a town we loved in CA to a cheaper part of the country so she could stay at home. I miss CA, but when I see how great our kids turned out, I don't regret it.

#4 | Posted by JimDuncan at 2017-04-17 04:42 PM | Reply

I think it depends on where you live.

In Kansas? it's possible without being "very rich". You can live in a 3,000 sq ft home with 2 cars on less than $100K a year.

But I realize that's not possible everywhere.

#5 | Posted by eberly at 2017-04-17 04:50 PM | Reply

That's nice, google Kansas average income. 66,000

#6 | Posted by bruceaz at 2017-04-17 04:57 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

more young americans want to be a stay at home dad too.

#7 | Posted by klifferd at 2017-04-17 07:04 PM | Reply

$100,000 Salary
-$18,000 Fed Tax
-$4,000 State Tax
__________________
$78,000
-$7,500 10% sales Tax
___________________
$70,500 Actual Household Income
-$12,000 Mortgage/Rent
-$6,000 Utilities/Cable
-$7,500 Vehicles/Insurance/Maintenance
-$7,500 Health Insurance (not including deductibles, co-pays, etc)
-$15,000 Groceries
-$5,000 Cell Phones (4)
____________________
$17,500 Discretionary
-$ ? Kids in college/day care/playing sports/school activities/
-$ ? Retirement
-$ ? Holidays
-$ ? Emergencies
-$ ? Clothing
-$ ? Maintenance
-$ ? Savings/Emergency
-$ ? Entertainment/Miscellaneous

I guess in a perfect world, you could do it as long as nothing else came up. Like paying for a wedding or having a grandbaby.

#8 | Posted by bogey1355 at 2017-04-17 08:33 PM | Reply

I'm assuming you just pulled those numbers out of your ass?

#9 | Posted by REDIAL at 2017-04-17 08:41 PM | Reply

#8 $15,000 on groceries? How fat are you (and the rest of your horde)?

#10 | Posted by HeliumRat at 2017-04-17 08:51 PM | Reply

I was wondering about the $5000 for cell phones and $6000 for utilities.

#11 | Posted by REDIAL at 2017-04-17 09:08 PM | Reply

#9,

Not out of my ass. Actually did some research (locally). Ex: A decent 3 BR apt runs about $1,000 mo. Cell phone @ $100 per phone x 4, etc.

#10,
52 weeks x $300 wk = $15,600 yearly to feed a family of 4. That includes lunch money for the kids, snacks, lunch for Mom and Dad, etc. You cant always mom's leftovers at home. Some schools don't even allow kids to bring their lunch from home anymore.

#12 | Posted by bogey1355 at 2017-04-17 09:14 PM | Reply

Suffice it to say, utility costs around here suck. One provider for everything.

#13 | Posted by bogey1355 at 2017-04-17 09:18 PM | Reply

Suffice it to say, utility costs around here suck.

Drawback of living in "the country".

On the other hand, a decent 3 br apartment in Manhattan would cost about a million dollars a month.

#14 | Posted by REDIAL at 2017-04-17 09:24 PM | Reply

The bottom line is, it's a nice thought to have one parent at home, but the reality is that to do it you will likely have to give up more than you think. Like a decent place to live, providing for your family, giving your family opportunities. And this coming from someone who actually supported a family of 5 on a single salary for years.

#15 | Posted by bogey1355 at 2017-04-17 09:26 PM | Reply

---$5,000 Cell Phones (4)

Say what?

Tracfone -cheapest model $9.99

One year 800 minutes $99.99

#16 | Posted by nullifidian at 2017-04-17 09:37 PM | Reply

...but the reality is that to do it you will likely have to give up more than you think.

What you have to give up is living beyond your means.

#17 | Posted by REDIAL at 2017-04-17 09:41 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 3

Also depends on your definition of "necessity". Some people don't think of living in a decent school district or safe neighborhood as necessary. And those things cost money.

#18 | Posted by bogey1355 at 2017-04-17 10:14 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

#19 | Posted by bogey1355 at 2017-04-17 10:14 PM | Reply

#19 I'm just curious, how much a month do you spend on cable, because I've never seen utility rates like that. The most I've ever spent on electricity is $285 a month in the middle of summer. Cable is $129 a month, including internet. And I'm thinking of unplugging.

#20 | Posted by HeliumRat at 2017-04-17 10:37 PM | Reply

Weird to have HS seniors as the sample group, as a HS graduate with no further training or education could not support a "single parent household."

#21 | Posted by GOnoles92 at 2017-04-17 11:21 PM | Reply

Bogey, if you have that much in groceries then I can assume you have a family to support.....then your federal tax bill won't be $18K.....closer to $9 or $10K in reality...if you pay mortgage interest and property taxes.

And I was assuming employer provided health insurance which would be half what you posted.

10% sales tax? included in groceries and other retail items I assume but you didn't include FICA...so that's a wash.

I would say that realistically leaves $20K or so in discretionary $$$$.

#22 | Posted by eberly at 2017-04-18 08:46 AM | Reply

"i did some research...$100 per phone x 4, etc."

sounds like your research is partially incorrect.

I pay for 4 phones... more like 75 a phone and I have the unlimited data plan from verizon. You can definitely be saving a lot more if you aren't a nerd like me.

"$6,000 Utilities/Cable"

one could definitely knock a few grand off this number too... unless you like to waste money.

your grocery bill is saying you spend 650 a month on food alone... stop eating out so much.

the car payment plus insurance seems spot on.. but could fluctuate higher then your estimate depending on number of drivers in family.

#23 | Posted by klifferd at 2017-04-18 09:11 AM | Reply

a HS graduate with no further training or education could not support a "single parent household." - #21 | Posted by GOnoles92 at 2017-04-17 11:21 PM
In a lot of places, that's definitely not true. For example
Ohio has a living wage of $9.88 an hour, with a minimum wage of $8.10 an hour. So, while you would need a roommate or something if you were day 1 into a minimum wage job, a couple of promotions or slightly better job and you'd be in living wage territory for a "single parent household."

#24 | Posted by Avigdore at 2017-04-18 11:28 AM | Reply

My apologies, GOnoles92 I misread your single parent household as single head-of-household. Your point stands, an unmarried HS educated parent would have a very difficult time supporting a "single PARENT household'.

#25 | Posted by Avigdore at 2017-04-19 12:39 PM | Reply