Saturday, April 15, 2017

In a town hall appearance held on Thursday, Rep. Jim Sensenbrenner, R-Wis. defended his decision to vote to repeal the Broadband Consumer Privacy Rules passed by the FCC last October by arguing that "nobody's got to use the internet."
When a constituent attending the event in Wisconsin's fifth district raised the issue that she has only one ISP available in her neighborhood and now has little recourse to protect her personal information from her internet provider, Sensenbrenner responded:
"You know, nobody's got to use the internet ... .I don't think it's my job to tell you that you cannot get advertising through your information being sold. My job, I think, is to tell you that you have the opportunity to do it and then you take it upon yourself to make the choice."
The congressman's press office doubled down on this, responding to a tweet claiming Sensenbrenner said "not to use the internet" by stating, "Actually, he said that nobody has to use the internet. They have a choice."

Comments

It astonishes what pigs these people can be.

#1 | Posted by Zed at 2017-04-15 11:19 AM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

And besides being a jerk, he's wrong. Applied for a job lately? All online.

#2 | Posted by TFDNihilist at 2017-04-15 09:32 PM | Reply

Yep.

who has booked flight reservations with a travel agent lately?

or looked for houses without it?

or in my case, pay my bills. I don't even know how I would pay my bills by snail-mail. My physical checkbook is like 10 years old and it is only about 1/4 used.

#3 | Posted by kudzu at 2017-04-16 05:27 AM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

He has a very good point ..

who has booked flight reservations with a travel agent lately?

But we did and it worked fine, agents still exist, just less of them ....

or looked for houses without it?

So no one bought houses until the Internet?

Or paid bills apparently.

The Internet is a luxury, entertainment, not a necessity of life.

Heck according to you lefties, the Internet is making us all dumber .... so why are you even arguing....

#4 | Posted by AndreaMackris at 2017-04-16 10:36 AM | Reply

Luxury or essential, the man is a pig for selling out his constituent's privacy.

#5 | Posted by Zed at 2017-04-16 04:28 PM | Reply

#4 and for all of the people with disabilities, such as my brother, who work from home, screw'em. They can just starve. Right, Mackris?

#6 | Posted by johnny_hotsauce at 2017-04-16 08:37 PM | Reply

Someone should let the Representative know that in Wisconsin you must apply for unemployment online.

#7 | Posted by SLBronkowitz at 2017-04-16 11:20 PM | Reply

So no one bought houses until the Internet?
...Or paid bills apparently.
#4 | POSTED BY ANDREAMACKRIS

That's not the point. Plenty of things you could do before the internet you simply can't do without it anymore. Like apply for a job at many places, or pay certain bills, or, as pointed out, apply for unemployment in Ws.
Electricity and running water were once considered luxuries also, many people at the time argued that folks got along just fine without them.

#8 | Posted by TFDNihilist at 2017-04-16 11:40 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 2

#3 | POSTED BY KUDZU AT 2017-04-16 05:27 AM | REPLY

So you've got 75% of your checks.. but can't figure out how to put them in the mail..

This is definitely a personal problem.

#9 | Posted by sitzkrieg at 2017-04-17 09:15 AM | Reply

If not essential, it's becoming essential.

#10 | Posted by fresno500 at 2017-04-17 10:54 AM | Reply

#7 | Posted by SLBronkowitz

No problem there. Now that Rs run things unemployment is going away.

#11 | Posted by SomebodyElse at 2017-04-17 12:19 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

#7 | Posted by SLBronkowitz

Not true, you can apply by phone, calling 414-438-7700 or 608-232-0678
dwd.wisconsin.gov

Not saying its easier, but the world does exist outside the Internet.

#12 | Posted by AndreaMackris at 2017-04-17 12:29 PM | Reply

Not true, you can apply by phone, calling 414-438-7700 or 608-232-0678
dwd.wisconsin.gov

Not saying its easier, but the world does exist outside the Internet.

#12 | Posted by AndreaMackris at 2017-04-

Well, phones aren't a necessity either, right?

#13 | Posted by Zed at 2017-04-17 12:36 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

Oh boy Andrea, I wonder where you got that info?
...maybe on the internet?

#14 | Posted by TFDNihilist at 2017-04-17 03:31 PM | Reply | Funny: 1

People also used to do without electricity, running water, etc., etc...

You're an idiot, Mackris.

#15 | Posted by Angrydad at 2017-04-17 04:23 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

Trust Fund Toddlers are born with all the necessities.... and all the perks.

#16 | Posted by Corky at 2017-04-17 04:25 PM | Reply