Monday, March 13, 2017

Questions continue to surround the role Russia may have played in President Trump's election last fall, and about the president's professed admiration for Vladimir Putin's skills as a strong leader. What the president doesn't talk about is the unfortunate fate that stalks some of Putin's most prominent critics. They have been victims of unsolved shootings, suspicious suicides and poisonings. Tonight, the story of one of them. Vladimir Kara-Murza was an opposition activist, on the front lines, protesting Putin's policies, organizing demonstrations and town hall meetings. He knew he was on a dangerous mission. When we met him last year, he told us that one day in May 2015, he learned just how dangerous.

Alternate links: Google News | Twitter

Vladimir Kara-Murza: I was in a work meeting with my colleagues in Moscow, when I suddenly started to feel really sick. And I went, within about 20 minutes, from feeling completely normal to feeling like a very sick man. Then I don't remember anything for the next month.

In recent years quite a few of Putin's enemies have perished by swallowing things they shouldn't have. In 2006, Russian-spy-turned-Kremlin-critic Alexander Litvinenko drank tea laced with polonium-210.

Two years earlier the Ukrainian politician Viktor Yushchenko had somehow ingested dioxin. He survived but was disfigured.

But the list of those who've come to die unexpectedly after running afoul of Mr. Putin is long. Political opponents and human rights lawyers have been shot; rogue spies hunted down; overly inquisitive reporters have perished in mysterious plane crashes or by car bombs, by poison or gun-fire. Journalist reporter Anna Politkovskaya was poisoned and shot.

Then there are enemies who kill themselves, one by hanging, one by stabbing himself to death with two knives, and one by tying himself to a chair and jumping into a swimming pool.

Some of Putin's opponents are in prison, others forced out of the country like Mikhail Khodorkovsky, probably Putin's most famous living critic.

Comments

Okay Corky, I won't vote for Putin.

Happy?

#1 | Posted by Prolix247 at 2017-03-13 11:21 AM | Reply

You already did when you voted for Trump. Too late now.

Lying about me won't help you any, Sheepdip. You voted for Trump and Putin when you ignored Bernie's warning.

Just have your oats checked before you swill them down.

#3 | Posted by Corky at 2017-03-13 01:23 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 2

I'm looking forward to watching you eat that Russian nothingburger.

#4 | Posted by SheepleSchism at 2017-03-13 02:51 PM | Reply

I'm looking forward to watching you eat that Russian nothingburger.

#4 | POSTED BY SHEEPLESCHISM

Too late. It's already a something burger. Right now, the only question is how big is this burger...

#5 | Posted by Sycophant at 2017-03-13 03:58 PM | Reply

That piece was disgusting and shameless but i expect nothing less from CBS.

#6 | Posted by blake914 at 2017-03-13 04:01 PM | Reply

Corky- Who said I voted for Trump? Are you hearing voices now.

Why don't you mention the Podesta Group when hand ringing about Russia? You now, the unregistered lobbying group?

Seems suspicious.

What are you hiding?

#7 | Posted by Prolix247 at 2017-03-13 04:07 PM | Reply

I'm looking forward to watching you eat that Russian nothingburger.

#4 | Posted by SheepleSchism at 2017-03-13 02

Americans who still love their country fondly hope it's a nothingburger.

But, frankly, I suspect it's a Whopper.

#8 | Posted by Zed at 2017-03-13 04:10 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 2

What are you hiding?

#7 | Posted by Prolix247 at

Investigations all around! You're really going to say no?

#9 | Posted by Zed at 2017-03-13 04:11 PM | Reply

Okay Corky, I won't vote for Putin.
Happy?

#1 | POSTED BY PROLIX247

Too late.

#10 | Posted by donnerboy at 2017-03-13 04:17 PM | Reply

For what?

#11 | Posted by Prolix247 at 2017-03-13 04:19 PM | Reply

Zed- it is common knowledge what the Podesta Group did. It's been written about extensively.

It's apparent you don't see the irony in your position...

#12 | Posted by Prolix247 at 2017-03-13 04:21 PM | Reply

For what?

#11 | Posted by Prolix247 at 2017

Putin won the 2016 presidential election.

#13 | Posted by Zed at 2017-03-13 04:21 PM | Reply

You already elected him.

#14 | Posted by donnerboy at 2017-03-13 04:21 PM | Reply

#12 | Posted by Prolix247 at

You don't understand me. If Mr. Podesta is dirty then he needs to go down. I have the same standards for him as I do Donald. You freaking Republicans like prisons. It won't hurt you to build a new one.

#15 | Posted by Zed at 2017-03-13 04:25 PM | Reply

Zed- I don't belong to either party, never have, parties are for tools like you.

What you fail to understand is if what Podesta did is not criminal, and no one is screaming that it is. Why all the wet panties over Trump?

You are being played.

That's what parties do to you.

#16 | Posted by Prolix247 at 2017-03-13 04:33 PM | Reply

#24 who elected who? You wasted your vote on Hillary.

You elected him.

I only voted down ticket, neither got my vote.

#17 | Posted by Prolix247 at 2017-03-13 04:35 PM | Reply

Why all the wet panties over Trump?

#16 | Posted by Prolix247 at 2017-03-13 04:33 PM | Reply

I thought I explained that. Because he is a Liar, and a Thief, and the alleged president.

#18 | Posted by Zed at 2017-03-13 05:59 PM | Reply

#16 | Posted by Prolix247 at 2017

Then I'm not interested in him.

#19 | Posted by Zed at 2017-03-13 06:00 PM | Reply

Why all the wet panties over Trump?

#16 | Posted by Prolix247 at 2017

Because I suspect him of being a traitor.

Insufficient cause?

I think that people like you exist to gum the concepts of ethics and patriotism down into some wet pasty goo.

#20 | Posted by Zed at 2017-03-13 06:02 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

Zed- I'm a vet so put away your childish notions.

You are are not making sense.

I'll leave you be.

#21 | Posted by Prolix247 at 2017-03-13 06:22 PM | Reply

You are a vet who obviously abandoned his oath.

#22 | Posted by bocaink at 2017-03-14 11:20 AM | Reply

For all you who think that Trump is allied with Putin. There is a little wisdom in the alcoholic's prayer. Something about having the wisdom to know the difference between what one can do and what one can't. Putin leads a country with around 1400 nucs. We can not depose him with any less than than a war. So should we escalate tensions or calm down for a while? As far as who got what from the Russians, I remember Hillery Clinton seemed to receive a 200 million dollar donation to her foundation before the CanAm uranium deal. The Russians got a third of the U in North America. BTW, what the Russians got was nuclear fuel, not the weapons grade stuff, so don't accuse me of saying HRC were giving bomb maternal the the Ruskies. . The Democrats are in a circular firing squad on this issue.
#19 | Posted by Zed, you are correct, no one has PROVEN that Podesta is a criminal. But honestly, he is creepy weird. Check out the art work that he graces his home with. Disturbing.

#23 | Posted by docnjo at 2017-03-14 03:54 PM | Reply

So should we escalate tensions or calm down for a while?

#23 | Posted by docnjo at 2017-03-14

It's very, very, very dishonest to see this as the issue.

Donald gets to be loyal to this country only. That's the standard. The fact that so many doubt that Donald lives up to that standard is his fault and his fault only.

Investigate these Russian connections now, and follow them up wherever they go. If Donald's a traitor, hang him, metaphorically and literally.

#24 | Posted by Zed at 2017-03-14 04:03 PM | Reply

#22 - says who?

An anonymous "bully of bullies" on the Internet?

Get real clown...

#25 | Posted by Prolix247 at 2017-03-14 04:24 PM | Reply

#22 | Posted by bocaink As far as I remember, I only swore loyalty to the Constitution. Support and defend as I recall. Your accusation seems a little hyperbolic.

#26 | Posted by docnjo at 2017-03-14 06:03 PM | Reply

#26 Actually Doc, I was just messing with him. He tried to tough-guy me before so I put him in a corner. You know the oath better than I, at least you should. However, good luck defending both the Constitution and Donald Inc.

You are going to have to genuflect worse than the evangelicals. Vets should be furious right now.

#27 | Posted by bocaink at 2017-03-14 11:48 PM | Reply

Same fate as Fred Hampton.

#28 | Posted by fresno500 at 2017-03-15 01:02 AM | Reply

Why does the left feel I must be pro Trump? I am a libertarian, didn't vote for the damn Yankee. He is an ego-maniac, has huuuge faults. But he isn't as bad as HRC. Every one seems to forget criminal investigations are still continue on her? That flipping non story on MSNBC just shows how desperate the left has become. SO he flipped a house for a profit. And he sold it to a RUSSIAN. Twelve years before becoming president, ten years before he decided to run. At the time he was backing Hillery's first run.
#27 | Posted by bocaink, It will take years for vets to get as furious as we became about his aloof, elitist and totally ignorant about military culture Obama. Want to see how ignorant? Pull up his address at Fort Hood after that jihadist in uniform killed 13 and wounded 30 or so more on Youtube. Embarrassing.

#29 | Posted by docnjo at 2017-03-15 07:22 AM | Reply

I'm not sure what you mean by the Ft. Hood incident. I am very connected to Ft. Hood in several ways. It was a tragedy but I don't know why Obama is to blame?

As for Trump not being as bad as HRC, I think that is insane. Sorry, and I am glad you don't support Trump, but the greivances you are throwing at Obama and HRC are really unfair. Calling someone "elitist" is such a cop-out, you might as well call him a "preppie" or a "SOC."

Give me examples as opposed to not liking someone who uses big words. I lived in Rust Belt and was called every name in the book for using intelligence. I've done more for soldiers and vets in the past 10 years than any civilian I know from my hometown in their lives.

But I do give you credit for not buying the Trump Kool-Aide. I just wish people used more detail when explaining their vehement hatred of liberals. It usually devolves into talking points and unsubstantiated accusations.

But that's why we are on opposite sides. I just wish the Right weren't such a bunch of fee fee snowflakes.

#30 | Posted by bocaink at 2017-03-15 10:41 AM | Reply

I think you mean his speech after Ft. Hood btw when you said address. Sorry, morning brain was thinking you meant physical address. I can't listen to it here but I will. I'll give you my honest perspective. But tell me why were you so hurt by it? I'll read the transcript now.

#31 | Posted by bocaink at 2017-03-15 10:53 AM | Reply

I'm guessing this is a matter of interpretation, that you project something in Obama that I guess I don't see. It's kind of like the Nixon-Kennedy debates whether on TV or radio. Here is the transcript of the speech. What is wrong with this?:

Transcript:

My immediate thoughts and prayers are with the wounded and with the families of the fallen and with those who live and serve at Fort Hood.These are men and women who have made the selfless and courageous decision to risk and at times give their lives to protect the rest of us on a daily basis. It's difficult enough when we lose these brave Americans in battles overseas. It is horrifying that they should come under fire at an army base on American soil. I've spoken to secretary Gates, the chairman of the joint chiefs of staff, Admiral Mike Mullen, and I will continue to receive a constant stream of updates as new information comes in.

We are working with the Pentagon, the FBI, the department of homeland security all to ensure that Fort Hood is secure and we will continue to support the community with the full resources of the federal government. In the meantime, I would ask all Americans to keep the men and women of Fort Hood in your thoughts and prayers.

We will make sure that we get answers to every single question about this horrible incident and I want all of you to know that as commander in chief, there's no greater honor but also no greater responsibility for me than to make sure that the extraordinary men and women in uniform are properly cared for and that their safety and security when they're at home is provided for."

Sounds like he was saying he is working to identify what happened and why and to prevent future events like this from happening (which none did for the rest of his term), and he did, and he asked all of America to pray for the victim's families and the survivors. Should he have made a unilateral decision to invade Palestine since that is where Hasan's family came from as a knee-jerk reaction.

Again, I don't besmirch people for being hard-working and devoted to their family, so why is it so offensive for hard-working, family oriented people to get along with intellectuals and career-driven professional. The animosity and condescension mostly resides between your own ears. This is a battle I've fought my entire life coming to fruition as a real civil war.

#32 | Posted by bocaink at 2017-03-15 11:03 AM | Reply

#27- you mean a half witted attempt to be relevant.

It's good you moved on.

#33 | Posted by Prolix247 at 2017-03-15 11:27 AM | Reply

Go to where he started the speech. Lost everyone in his audience."Hear is a shout out". Then he had the nerve to call what happened "work place violence". Which meant that those killed and wounded were not eligible for a purple heart. Seems to me, If a guy has a business card saying "soldier of Allah", and screams Allah Akbar while killing unarmed people, it sort of looks like a terrorist attack. As far as the prospect of a civil war, the left would loose badly. That is reality. Look at the left's membership. Snowflakes one and all. They don't own guns. They have no discipline. They have never stooped to served in the military, that was a job for the ----------- and the urban poor. They have no idea how to conduct a martial operation. Will never adapt to being a soldier, it's too hard. And the left never does anything hard. So let the left continue looking like the emasculated drones they are. Me, I have a place to hide. Warfare is like being the guest of honer a a gang rape. I refuse to get involved killing my fellow citizens because they disagree with me. But I an sure that there are enough to stomp the stuffing out of an army of feminist, activist lawyers, GLBTO activist, and the Black Block armed with their balaclavas and hammers out there. During the ingratiation about 100,000 rode their bikes up to support Trump and bust commie heads. That could easily become shoot commies dead.

#34 | Posted by docnjo at 2017-03-15 11:50 AM | Reply

I was almost with you until you went to the broad brush of "the left"

Many soldiers lean left, I know this for a fact. And the elitism that you hold that leftists aren't capable of being soldiers never stooped to being in the military etc...is such offensive -------- that this argument is over.

Leftists fight in the military all the time and you just insulted the honor of millions of soldiers and vets, especially Vietnam era vets.

Suck yourself!

#35 | Posted by bocaink at 2017-03-15 11:57 AM | Reply

Btw, that includes my father, my best friend growing up, and the hundreds of soldiers I talk to every day.

You are the intolerant elitist.

#36 | Posted by bocaink at 2017-03-15 11:59 AM | Reply

Y'all must have been in an Army I never saw. (Oh wait,you were never actually a soldier), The number of soldiers I saw who are left is so small they are inconsequential.

#37 | Posted by docnjo at 2017-03-15 12:25 PM | Reply

Yes, I know a lot of soldiers and 1/3 of them voted for Hillary. I talk to soldiers every single day. Don't give me the "never a soldier" crap. I've been to more bases than you ever will, talked with a wider variety of service members than possibly could have. I promise you that.

And don't even get me started with the Vietnam Vets. No way any of them turned left! I have friends and family who served in Vietnam, Falluja, Korea, Afghanistan, Kuwait, Germany, and stateside. You will lose that argument.

Yes, you have been apparently very isolated in your time of service. I thank you and apologize for that.

#38 | Posted by bocaink at 2017-03-15 12:51 PM | Reply

Putin kills his critics.

Trump admires putin.

That's all you really need to know.

#39 | Posted by SpeakSoftly at 2017-03-15 01:23 PM | Reply

And Prolix, btw to throw more gas on your fire of stupidity, guess who got their purple hearts????

www.cnn.com

Like I said, I would have agreed with you about that issue, but I hope this is a teachable moment, that people are human, even good ones. To broad brush people because of some imperfections proves that it is your bias and hatred that skews your vision. It was a mistake, it was corrected. Good people screw up sometimes. It's better than bad people harming others all the time.

The "left" you demonize, largely consists of good people, and by "good," I mean people who put the needs of others above their own.

kind of like service members

It seems to me that the fee fees of the Right are just too sensitive to function in the rough and tumble real world.

I know some people who have therapy animals to lend.

#40 | Posted by bocaink at 2017-03-16 12:49 AM | Reply

Oops, sorry Doc, I meant you not Prolix. I forgot and I won't call your anger a bonfire of stupidity. I mixed my Righties and for that I should be ashamed. I do not broad-brush and I understand why you might be offended, but you should read #40 and understand, this whole "elitist" crap is just that. It's crap. It's just hard to try to make the world better for people who spend their lives reciting lies that come from liars who lie for profit.

The vast majority of ulterior motives you ascribe to the "left" is successful propaganda.

#41 | Posted by bocaink at 2017-03-16 01:05 AM | Reply

#41 | Posted by bocaink The left creates it's own negative propaganda.

#42 | Posted by docnjo at 2017-03-16 07:38 AM | Reply

#42 | POSTED BY DOCNJO AT 2017-03-16 07:38 AM | FLAG: incorrigible

#43 | Posted by bocaink at 2017-03-16 08:09 AM | Reply

"And the left never does anything hard. "

Let me correct you moron, the left is the only group that does anything hard. We oppose the idiotic stupid wars that get fools like you killed. YOu support any war, any where when ambitious and nefarious politicians tell you to. We haven't had a war in the last fifty years worthy of the deaths of folks like you, don't hate us for being smart enough to understand that, hate on the evil politicians who sent folks like you to fight wars that couldn't be won and weren't necessary in the first place. When you recognize the fact that our military has been abused in all these wars for nefarious reasons then, and only then, will you have an opportunity to see the truth. Our politicians have stood there with their hands on their chests acting so patriotic but inside they had very different motivations, such as George W. Bush. He told us, while Gov. of Texas, that he intended to invade Iraq because that would give him the power to privatize Social Security. He told us that! He's still walking around free? REally? And you support that? OMG!

#44 | Posted by danni at 2017-03-16 09:05 AM | Reply

#44 | Posted by danni Don't project on me chick. You opposed the war, I fought it. I knew for a fact it was a crock of feces within a week of being there. Iraq is and was a fragmented, backward country shackled with tribal hatreds and Islamic strife. I was a soldier, I went because I was sent. I was sent by people like Hillery Clinton and George Bush. So the only victory for a soldier in a war is survival. The left actually doesn't do much. Make fools of themselves marching with pink kitty hats on, put on a balaclava and bust windows or set fires. Maybe beat up people wearing the wrong head gear. All the left does is whine. They are spectators to real power now, so might as well be a special. Actually I never voted for bush, I was deplored during both election years.The telling difference between the left and the right? The right gives a lot more in time and money to charitable causes. for the left, it's the government's job, or someone else.

#45 | Posted by docnjo at 2017-03-16 09:38 AM | Reply

"Don't project on me chick"

#45 | POSTED BY DOCNJO AT 2017-03-16 09:38 AM | FLAG:

But it's okay to project on "the left?"

You are losing this argument Yugely and Bigly.

Grow up already Doc

#46 | Posted by bocaink at 2017-03-16 11:26 AM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

Actually I never voted for bush, I was deplored during both election years

#45 | POSTED BY DOCNJO AT 2017-03-16 09:38 AM | FLAG: Freud ROFL's in his grave