Friday, March 02, 2018

Do You Have a Secret British Accent?

We all know that Brits speak differently depending on where they're from. But just how differently? And even if you're a non-British English speaker, might you share some vocabulary or pronunciations with people hailing from a UK region? Find out with our quiz. Inspired by academic research on accents and dialects, it tests which region of the UK has locals that speak the most like you -- even if you're not British.

Your geographic home may be far from the UK, but your linguistic home may be anywhere from Edinburgh to Belfast, London to the Lake District.

10 short questions and you'll know.

I'm from West London, accent wise, thank Allah. Dell Boys and chimney sweeps (Dick Van ---- in Mary Poppins) are found at the East end.

#1 | Posted by J_Tremain at 2018-03-02 12:18 AM

mine from the East Midlands, what ever that means

#2 | Posted by PunchyPossum at 2018-03-02 03:13 AM

East Midlands also.

#3 | Posted by madscientist at 2018-03-02 05:50 AM

Golden lads and girls all must,
As chimney-sweepers, come to dust.

--Wm Shakespeare

#4 | Posted by madscientist at 2018-03-02 05:58 AM

what ever that means

It means you just escaped having a Brummie accent which would have you speaking like a British-Pakistani halaal-chicken fast food joint guy.

That would be something I would pay money to see.

#5 | Posted by J_Tremain at 2018-03-02 07:08 AM

Yorkshire but looking at the map as I answered I question how accurate that is. Only 2 of my answers were distinctly Yorkshire. I guess the rest were such a mish-mash that they went with the only distinctive ones I had.

#6 | Posted by TaoWarrior at 2018-03-02 07:43 AM

I got West London, so I get all the good theatre.

#7 | Posted by TheTom at 2018-03-02 10:59 AM

Suffolk, like Eddie from "Who Framed Roger Rabbit". Bonus, I just discovered that Eddie was an English actor, huh.

#8 | Posted by dibblda at 2018-03-02 01:17 PM

East Midlands as well....

#4 You say that with a Texas drawl?

#9 | Posted by PinkyanTheBrain at 2018-03-02 03:51 PM

#4 You say that with a Texas drawl?

I lost my drawl in college with a lot of practice. But I'll admit to code-switching back to it when I go to the hardware store or barber shop. But, sometimes it's just easier to say "I'm fixin ta" or "I ain't gonna."

#10 | Posted by madscientist at 2018-03-02 03:58 PM

When I was 16, an early twenty-something woman asked me where I was from... I said I was a local from right where we were in Texas. She said, "no you are not, you don't have the drawl or accent". I agreed, but said I was brought up to speak well.

She kept arguing with me about it and then said she was pissed because she had just spent several thousand dollars to get rid of her Texan accent because she was going into TV broadcasting, lol.

Ah can, howsomever, fall rot' into it if'n Ah'm tawkin' to a rela-tive back home.

East Midlands on the test.

#11 | Posted by Corky at 2018-03-02 05:46 PM

Drudge Retort Headlines

Trump's CIA Pick Did Not Oversee Waterboarding (98 comments)

McCabe Fired to Deny Him Pension (77 comments)

Everything Wrong with Fox News in 1 Video (26 comments)

Reports: Trump Planning to Remove H.R. McMaster (23 comments)

Salt Lake City Cafe Employs Homeless Youth (20 comments)

Trump-Supporting Evangelicals Sold Their Souls (19 comments)

Bannon: 'I'm fascinated by Mussolini.' (18 comments)

Parkland Survivor: Trump is 'Owned' by the NRA (16 comments)

Libertarian Senate Candidate Wants to Arm the Homeless (14 comments)