Wednesday, February 28, 2018

Guns Are the Only Product That Can't Be Recalled

Taurus sold almost a million handguns that can potentially fire without anyone pulling the trigger. The government won't fix the problem. The NRA is silent. Thomas "Bud" Brown makes his way out the back door and stops a few steps to the right, raising a trembling arm, pointing at something. It's where he found his boy slumped against the cold back wall of the house around 7:15 a.m. on the last day of 2016, bleeding out.

Brown is telling the story now, about how he was sitting in his chair in the living room when he heard the shot. His son Jarred, 28, had just picked up Bud's Taurus PT-145 Millennium Pro pistol and headed out to do some shooting near the house in Griffin, Ga., with his best friend, Tyler Haney. Bud figured Jarred had fired at something for the fun of it, like he did sometimes. "I was thinking I'd better go out there and tell him to be careful or something," Bud, 54, says, his voice trailing off. But what he'd heard was the pistol going off without anyone pulling the trigger, sending a .45-caliber slug through Jarred's femoral artery. "Oh ----, my leg, my leg," Jarred yelled, loud enough for his father to hear. Haney, 26, rushed into the house in a panic, pleading for help. When Bud got out there, the pistol was still in the holster, tucked into Jarred's waistband.

"Bud figured Jarred had fired at something for the fun of it, like he did sometimes. "

Clearly a responsible gun owner.

#1 | Posted by 726 at 2018-02-28 11:50 AM

Everybody swears they weren't touching it when it went off.

Taurus issued the recall in 2015. There was a class action lawsuit about it, that was settled.

#2 | Posted by sitzkrieg at 2018-02-28 12:29 PM

You trust bloomburger to publish the truth?

I have never seen a gun that fired itself.

#3 | Posted by Sniper at 2018-02-28 12:43 PM

Here's a listing of recalls:

Filing lawsuits for various negligence or defects:

It's my understanding that firearms manufacturers are only immune from lawsuits in cases of criminal acts by the owner or dealer,ie Colt can't be sued for wrongful death because someone used their firearm in a crime.

But that doesn't mean they're immune from liability regarding proper manufacturing or functioning of the firearms they sell.

#4 | Posted by jpw at 2018-02-28 01:21 PM

Brown's story stinks to high heaven.
The son, 28, took the fathers gun (was it just laying around on the counter?) and fired at "something", like he usually does...
The father thinks, "hmm, I better go tell my 28 year old son to be safe because he's prone to dicking around with my gun". And then I'm to believe the thing just went off by its self, while still tucked into a holster inside his sons waistband? Nope. The son was acting like a cowboy or otherwise jagging off.

The say the Sig P320 failed a drop test, and it too was recalled and repaired. I sure hope so...
I'll be the first to admit I immediately flinch and prepare for the worst any time a loaded weapon or a round has been fumbled near me.

#5 | Posted by 101Chairborne at 2018-02-28 02:16 PM

I always assume it could go off and whatever is in the way will take a bullet.

#6 | Posted by BruceBanner at 2018-02-28 02:28 PM

#4 interesting that the vpc would host the list.

Read through some of them. They're interesting.

#7 | Posted by BruceBanner at 2018-02-28 02:32 PM

Chair, thats the biggest issue I have with going to the open shooting range near me. Have left ranges because some people just seem very cavalier about how they handle them.

Especially when I hear some nitwit trying to get his 5foot 90lb girlfriend to shoot his. 44 magnum.

#8 | Posted by Lohocla at 2018-02-28 03:16 PM

Two times in my life have I had a weapon pointed at me.

Both were the result of someone over reacting to hot brass hitting the on the neck at a range and flailing about without considering where the gun is pointed.

#9 | Posted by jpw at 2018-02-28 04:19 PM

Yeah, that scares me to death. If I go, I try to go at odd times and if ppl are there Ill sit and watch for a while and if they look OK I'll unpack.

Makes me think of my boss who bought an AR when it looked like Clinton was going to win. Knows nothing about it (he does now at least) but I think he has only gone to the range once and I doubt he even cleaned it after.

Thats a good example of why I think they should be regulated waaaaay more than they are.

#10 | Posted by Lohocla at 2018-02-28 05:10 PM

"Two times in my life have I had a weapon pointed at me."

It only takes one time.

#11 | Posted by donnerboy at 2018-02-28 06:52 PM

Two times in my life have I had a weapon pointed at me.

#9 | Posted by jpw

Good thing he didn't throw the knife.

#12 | Posted by Sniper at 2018-02-28 08:08 PM

I own a taurus and it sucks. I replaced it with an M&P 9mm and couldn't be happier.

#13 | Posted by byrdman at 2018-03-01 10:04 PM

Drudge Retort Headlines

Report: Mueller Focusing on Obstruction; Not Collusion (75 comments)

School Shooting in Maryland (72 comments)

Fifth Explosion in Texas as Serial Bomber Hunted (39 comments)

Arizona Pedestrian Is Killed by Uber Self-driving Car (37 comments)

Trump Congratulates Putin (31 comments)

USAF to Begin Fighter-Mounted Laser Testing This Summer (31 comments)

Trump Analysts Discussed Stolen Facebook Data with Russia (31 comments)

McCabe Firing: What We Know, and Don't Know (28 comments)