Wednesday, January 24, 2018

US Sen Lamar Alexander Throws Talking Stick at Sen Warner

Charles Pierce: Am I alone in thinking that this is the strangest damn story to come out of the recent congressional experiment in inertia?

No disrespect intended to the Maasai warriors of North Dakota, but I have some questions and some observations:

1) Mark Warner is one of the most placid and inoffensive people in the Senate. What could he possibly have said to provoke Lamar Alexander to violence?

2) Lamar Alexander is 77 years old. Who know he had such a live arm at his age? And ...

3) A talking stick? Really?

from Politico: Coons and King were part of a group of at least two dozen senators who began meeting late last week in the office of Sen. Susan Collins to broker a deal to stave off a shutdown -- much like the effort that the Maine Republican led in 2013. To try and keep the peace, Collins wouldn't let any senator in the room talk unless they were holding a "talking stick" -- which one aide later said was a Maasai leadership stick that Sen. Heidi Heitkamp (D-N.D.) gave Collins a few years ago. At one point, Sen. Lamar Alexander of Tennessee forcefully tossed the stick toward Sen. Mark Warner of Virginia after Warner interrupted him, nearly shattering a glass elephant belonging to Collins, according to two people briefed on the throw. After that incident, Collins suggested using a small rubber ball, and Alexander also brought his own basketball "because it'd be safer than a stick," an aide said.

Comments

Maasai are from North Dakota?

#1 | Posted by patron at 2018-01-24 07:52 AM

Old man strength. Its a real thing.

#2 | Posted by IndianaJones at 2018-01-24 01:54 PM

Hit me with your rhythm stick.
Hit me! Hit me!
Das ist gut! C'est fantastique!
Hit me! hit me! hit me!
Hit me with your rhythm stick.
It's nice to be a lunatic.
Hit me! Hit me! Hit me!

Hit me! Hit me! Hit me!
In the dock of Tiger Bay
On the road to Mandalay
From Bombay to Santa Fe
Over hills and far away

Hit me with your rhythm stick.
Hit me! Hit me!
C'est si bon, mm? Ist es nicht?
Hit me! hit me! hit me!
Hit me with your rhythm stick.
Two fat persons, click, click, click.
Hit me! Hit me! Hit me!

Hit me! Hit me! Hit me!
Hit me!
Hit me!
Hit me! Ow!
Hit me!
Hit me!
Hit me! hit me!

#3 | Posted by donnerboy at 2018-01-24 02:23 PM

So much for Corky's "Republican governance" theory.

#4 | Posted by Rightocenter at 2018-01-24 06:30 PM

Remind me never to hire you as a lawyer.... Collins USED the stick (obviously Heitkamp thought she would like it) and another rwinger, Alexander, threw it at a Dem!

The governance of the group was that of Collins, no matter where she got the stick, Mr. Faux Counselor.

Alexander is another type of Republican governance; might makes right.

#5 | Posted by Corky at 2018-01-24 06:42 PM

Sounds like a productive and organized team building exercise.

#6 | Posted by GOnoles92 at 2018-01-24 06:48 PM

Translation: Waaaaaah!!!

#7 | Posted by Rightocenter at 2018-01-24 09:17 PM

Remind me never to hire you as a lawyer

Not too worried about that, you couldn't afford me.

#8 | Posted by Rightocenter at 2018-01-24 09:19 PM

Again, no argument from the President of Lawyers Sans Arguments.

-you couldn't afford me.

Mackris can afford to live almost in my neighborhood. You haven't a chance.

#9 | Posted by Corky at 2018-01-24 10:01 PM

Must respect the stick or else.
This is soooo funny.

#10 | Posted by graph1 at 2018-01-25 05:31 PM

Drudge Retort Headlines

3 More Deputies On Scene Did Not Enter School (108 comments)

House Intel Committee Releases Democratic Memo (100 comments)

China: America's Easy Gun Sales a Human Rights Problem (41 comments)

Rice 'Justifiably Concerned' Sharing Intel with Trump Administration (37 comments)

Poll: Trump Ratings Match His Lowest (36 comments)

What Life Without Retirement Savings Looks Like (32 comments)

Ted Cruz: 'Democrats Are the Party of Lisa Simpson' (28 comments)

Trump Reads Racist Anti-Immigrant Lyrics at CPAC (28 comments)

EPA Chief Says Bible Defends His Environmental Policies (25 comments)