Tuesday, January 23, 2018

Neil Diamond Ends Touring After Parkinson's Diagnosis

Singer Neil Diamond, who turns 77 tomorrow, announced his retirement from touring due to his recent diagnosis of Parkinson's disease. The onset of the disease has made it difficult to travel and perform on a large scale basis but will allow Diamond to continue his writing, recording and development of new projects. Based on his doctors' advice, the third leg of Diamond's 50th Anniversary tour, set to land in Australia and New Zealand this March, has been cancelled. Diamond's hits include Song Sung Blue, Cracklin' Rosie and You Don't Bring Me Flowers. "It is with great reluctance and disappointment that I announce my retirement from concert touring. I have been so honored to bring my shows to the public for the past 50 years," said Diamond who added that he plans to remain active in writing, recording and other projects for a long time to come.

Comments

I figured he quit touring ages ago owing to being as old as dirt.

#1 | Posted by jpw at 2018-01-23 12:43 AM

I figured he quit touring ages ago owing to being as old as dirt.

#1 | Posted by jpw at 201

"Diamond, who turns 77 this week,"

OH MY GAHD JPW your so right! 77 why he should be dead and certainly not singing and writing songs and touring.

quick someone get MR Diamond a slice or 2 of cyanide pie!

#2 | Posted by PunchyPossum at 2018-01-23 02:14 AM

PUNCHY

I bet you wouldn't say the same thing about Cher. ~ LOL

www.youtube.com 2017 Music Awards

She leaves nothing to the imagination.

#3 | Posted by Twinpac at 2018-01-23 04:19 AM

PUNCHY

You'd better go full screen on that link. LOL

#4 | Posted by Twinpac at 2018-01-23 06:33 AM

my computer cant do video's anymore sorry

#5 | Posted by PunchyPossum at 2018-01-23 07:26 AM

anyway you must know I was being sarcastic in post 2

#6 | Posted by PunchyPossum at 2018-01-23 07:31 AM

"I figured he quit touring ages ago owing to being as old as dirt."

I'm 60.

The band I'm sort of still in will be playing 12 shows in Holland and Belgium in a couple of weeks.

And I'm still young.

#7 | Posted by Angrydad at 2018-01-23 07:23 PM

I saw him at the Sportatorium in Pembroke Pines, FL many moons ago. I was his biggest fan. My Dad at the time held a high level government job in the city of P.P. and we got backstage passes. Mr. Diamond had a hallway constructed from his dressing room to the stage as to not interact with anyone backstage (I would have acted appropriately as I had at previous concerts like Rod Stewart, Forringer, David Bowie, etc). Decided at that time he was no longer worthy of another dime of mine.

#8 | Posted by gracieamazed at 2018-01-23 07:56 PM

I'm 60.
And I'm still young.

#7 | POSTED BY ANGRYDAD

That's really cool. Good for you.

Northern Michigan has a band that plays various bars that is comprised of "young" guys like you. They are called Jelly Roll and they play blues/classic rock. Always entertaining.

#9 | Posted by JeffJ at 2018-01-23 07:57 PM

Neil Diamond? Parkinsons??? This royally sucks. He is my mom's favorite musician of all time.

#10 | Posted by JeffJ at 2018-01-23 07:58 PM

The first Neil Diamond hit I ever heard was Thank the Lord For the Night Time.

I was 9.

It's a rocking tune.

#11 | Posted by Angrydad at 2018-01-23 08:10 PM

All blessings to Mr. Diamond. I wouldn't wish that disease on my worst enemy. My Uncle left this vale because of it.

As far as the age thing goes, I liken it to polishing an old chunk of coal until it turns into a diamond someday. I'm 66 and still playing and I'm finally getting the hang of it after 50+ years. I can say more with less. It's all good.

I recently saw Buddy Guy and that old man can kick your ass. Better than ever.

#12 | Posted by uncle_meat at 2018-01-23 09:03 PM

The guy is a terrific showman, which, aside f I'm prodigeous writing, is what he does. Saw him eons ago when it was just him, a guitarist, and bass player on stage. Excellent. And later, the full profuction number: also excellent.

#13 | Posted by Doc_Sarvis at 2018-01-24 06:29 AM

Neil Diamond's music was always a secret sin I committed, I loved it but I didn't like admitting I loved it. I still do. Sweet Caroline will always stop me when I'm changing radio station but, please don't tell anyone. I am honestly sorry about his illness, what a fantastically great performer!

#14 | Posted by danni at 2018-01-24 08:47 AM

Drudge Retort Headlines

Florida Governor: Those Under Age 21 Should Not Own Guns (281 comments)

3 More Deputies On Scene Did Not Enter School (90 comments)

Texas School Will Punish Any Student Who Protests (86 comments)

The AR-15 Inflicts Devastatingly Different Wounds (79 comments)

House Intel Committee Releases Democratic Memo (74 comments)

Parkland School Cop Didn't Enter Building (69 comments)

Gates Expected to Plead Guilty, Help Mueller (43 comments)

Teacher Bonuses for Guns But Not Education (38 comments)

Rice 'Justifiably Concerned' Sharing Intel with Trump Administration (31 comments)