Monday, January 22, 2018

Honoring 44 of America's Best Teachers

Tucson Desert View High School chemistry teacher Jonathan Cadena wasn't supposed to be at school Thursday. ... At work that day, he was surprised with a $25,000 check and the Milken Educator Award. The award, created by Lowell Milken and the Milken Family Foundation, was created 31 years ago to honor top educators across the country. ... This year, 44 educators across the country have or will be presented the award ... "When I was in school, I was fortunate to have a number of outstanding teachers and I was always somewhat shocked by the fact that there was no mechanism, no opportunity for these teachers to be honored, celebrated and recognized," Milken said. Because of that, one of his top priorities when he started the Milken Family Foundation was to find a way to recognize educators.

Comments

Per the link ...

But his co-workers convinced him he needed to come in for a "meeting."

It turned out to be a much, much bigger surprise.

Cadena said he was suspicious about how pushy his colleagues were about making sure he showed up.

"I just had kind of a feeling but I was thinking, 'OK, maybe they'll do some sort of an award,' " he said. "But as far as the actual award, especially the monetary award, that totally caught me off guard."

At work that day, he was surprised with a $25,000 check and the Milken Educator Award...

The winners can use the money for anything they want, and are encouraged to spend it on themselves.

And in a state ranked almost dead last in teacher pay, with many teachers quitting or taking on multiple additional jobs to make ends meet, $25,000 is a big deal.

"Teachers make a financial sacrifice to be in the education field and we're hoping that our award, even if it's small, can make a difference in their lives," Milken said.

We, as a country, need more of these things in the news ...

I respect teachers at all levels of the education system -- the trust and responsibility teachers hold is way more than most professions, and they don't get paid nearly enough for their work.

#1 | Posted by PinchALoaf at 2018-01-21 08:52 AM

Great link. When I was a senior in high school I was invited to write an essay in support of a teacher winning an award. That teacher, my computer programming teacher Leon Schram, went on to win it. I remember that fondly because it was my best chance to honor one of the excellent public school teachers who made a difference in my life.

#2 | Posted by rcade at 2018-01-21 11:35 PM

I got the great Venus Flytrap on the front page of the MIGHTY Drudge Retort -- life is good!

And I think very highly of teachers, it's a noble profession deserving of big time respect.

#3 | Posted by PinchALoaf at 2018-01-22 12:56 PM

I hope they receive raises on merit, as it should be.

#4 | Posted by MSgt at 2018-01-22 01:10 PM

I hope they receive raises on merit, as it should be.

#4 | POSTED BY MSGT

The military does both ...

• Time in servive (TIS = the same as 'tenure')
• Promotion to the next higher rank (merit)

Why can't it be the same for teachers?

#5 | Posted by PinchALoaf at 2018-01-22 01:42 PM

#5 | POSTED BY PINCHALOAF AT 2018-01-22 01:42 PM | FLAG: I am posting concerning these 44 outstanding teachers, and it would be a shame if any of them are not in a merit based pay system as they obviously are worthy of a raise. Accolades are good, but fiscal 'recognition' is even better.

#6 | Posted by MSgt at 2018-01-22 02:15 PM

Why can't it be the same for teachers?

#5 | POSTED BY PINCHALOAF AT 2018-01-22 01:42 PM | REPLY

Because republicans don't think any one should get a raise for TIS and by merit they mean favoritism without any metrics. That is why they eliminated automatic pay raises for teachers who complete advanced degrees or certificates in Wisconsin. They want merit pay to be handed out by the management to whoever they please which usually ends up being the biggest brownest nose

#7 | Posted by hatter5183 at 2018-01-22 04:58 PM

#7 | POSTED BY HATTER5183 AT 2018-01-22 04:58 PM | FLAG: Republicans? Here is a whole page concerning the NTA and notice they seem to always find reasons to be against merit raises.

www.google.com

#8 | Posted by MSgt at 2018-01-22 05:48 PM

#7 | POSTED BY HATTER5183

I see, and I'm with you.

That's totally backwards incentives wise -- we should be encouraging teachers to continue advanced degrees and certificates mostly because they're setting the example for the kids they teach.

And, as for the money, if we want the nation's youth to be taught in schools by quality teachers, then we as a nation need pay them quality salaries.

We just gave trillions of dollars to corporations already making record profits, via the Trump/GOP Tax Cuts, so we have the money to pay teachers fairly.

#9 | Posted by PinchALoaf at 2018-01-22 08:17 PM

"We just gave trillions of dollars to corporations already making record profits, via the Trump/GOP Tax Cuts, so we have had the money to pay teachers fairly."

#10 | Posted by REDIAL at 2018-01-22 08:22 PM

#2 | POSTED BY RCADE

You're originally from Texas, right?

Pretty cool that you had Dallas Cowboys GM Tex Schram's little brother Leon as a high school teacher -- kidding.

During 2016 primaries I talked to a lady who was a Bernie Volunteer and who taught at my old high school. I asked her if she ever heard of Social Studies teacher John McGrath, and she said he had retired some time ago but was still around ... and she was totally positive about him and it made my day -- McGrath was really good. He would always say America would never be communist because we love our 4x4 pick-up trucks with duel whip antennas too much. He was right!

#11 | Posted by PinchALoaf at 2018-01-22 09:20 PM

Wisconsin educator here. Literally sat through an hour long meeting today about how our district is planning to restructure our pay schedule. It was one of those days where I pondered what other type of career I could start in my mid-30s with degrees in education that wouldn't cut my pay.

#12 | Posted by dylanfan at 2018-01-23 01:03 AM

"how our district is planning to restructure our pay schedule."

What were the salient aspects of the "new" plan?

#13 | Posted by Danforth at 2018-01-23 01:05 AM

The short version is that they take the average raise available for all teachers (say $1000) and parcel it out into chunks (500/250/125). You can earn chunks of a raise by completing various professional development opportunities, taking classes, etc.

Frankly I understand the rationale behind the change, but it's disheartening to think that years of experience don't matter any more, and now I need to regularly engage in activities outside of contracted hours in order to earn any sort of raise. I know that PD can make me a better teacher, but I'm involved in several extra-curriculars and have a young family, so the thought of piling on even more is very daunting.

To be fair, on the up side they've proposed eliminating an upper limit on teacher compensation, so in theory a teacher could load up on enough classes, workshops, seminars, etc., that they could move above where our previous schedule ended.

#14 | Posted by dylanfan at 2018-01-23 01:28 AM

Also to be fair the presentation laid out where district staff sat on the salary schedule, and we have many staff sitting at B+0 with no requirements to take classes thanks to new lifetime licenses in WI, lots sitting at B+30 but without a plan to be able to jump to M+0, and LOTS in the lower right hand corner that are totally maxed out. They were forthcoming to say that the proposal was a good deal for new teachers and older teachers with maxed out credits already, but not as good of a deal for teachers in the middle like myself. Under the previous schedule, those roles were reversed - I was benefiting more than the maxed out teachers as well as the younger, less experienced teachers.

#15 | Posted by dylanfan at 2018-01-23 01:36 AM

even with the check, these make less than almost any high school head football coach. #Priorities

#16 | Posted by e1g1 at 2018-01-23 08:50 AM

That's not true. Yes, some coaches make a lot but most do not.

In my area, one coach makes quite a lot but the other 7 do not.

#17 | Posted by eberly at 2018-01-23 09:05 AM

^ my post mentioned "head football coach"
As I have teacher friends in eight different states, and they have all reported this phenomenon, I stand by my assertion.

#18 | Posted by e1g1 at 2018-01-23 02:57 PM

they're wrong.

not that it matters.

#19 | Posted by eberly at 2018-01-23 05:28 PM

Think teachers aren't paid enough? It's worse than you think.

www.washingtonpost.com

Everybody knows that nobody goes into teaching to get rich, but teachers don't expect to be penalized for their chosen profession. A new study finds that what is called the "teacher pay penalty" -- the difference between teachers and comparable public workers -- is bigger than ever.

Yet we as a country redistribute trillions of tax payer dollars to the wealthiest among us -- instead of using that money to strengthen the education system, from new schools to more teachers to paying these teachers -- we give all that money to people who don't even need it.

#20 | Posted by PinchALoaf at 2018-01-23 07:52 PM

Drudge Retort Headlines

3 More Deputies On Scene Did Not Enter School (108 comments)

House Intel Committee Releases Democratic Memo (100 comments)

China: America's Easy Gun Sales a Human Rights Problem (40 comments)

Rice 'Justifiably Concerned' Sharing Intel with Trump Administration (37 comments)

Poll: Trump Ratings Match His Lowest (36 comments)

What Life Without Retirement Savings Looks Like (32 comments)

Ted Cruz: 'Democrats Are the Party of Lisa Simpson' (28 comments)

Trump Reads Racist Anti-Immigrant Lyrics at CPAC (28 comments)

EPA Chief Says Bible Defends His Environmental Policies (25 comments)