Saturday, January 20, 2018

Bill Maher: keep laughing, #MeToo is becoming #MeCarthyism

Bill Maher returned tonight with a new season of Real Time on HBO and delivered his closing monologue on the "#MeToo movement" and how it may be going too far. He said 'The Nothing Is Funny People' is trying to take over the world and we can't let them. ... Maher ripped Democratic Senator Kirsten Gillibrand of New York for turning #MeToo into '#MeCarthyism' for refusing to differentiate sexual harassment and sexual assault while declaring a line needs to be drawn that "none of it is okay." ... He complained that she is going "unchallenged" while laying out how there are different degrees of sexual misconduct ... Maher also responded to actress Mini Driver likening seeing a penis to rape... "This is madness," Maher said. "No one in the world would choose rape over seeing a penis." ... "We are losing the thread of thinking," he said.

Comments

"Justice requires weighing things, that's why Lady Justice is holding a scale and not a sawed-off shotgun.
-- Bill Maher

#1 | Posted by PinchALoaf at 2018-01-20 08:05 PM

good video.

#2 | Posted by Alexandrite at 2018-01-20 08:13 PM

I remember seeing the SNL skit as a kid -- Steve Martin singing King Tut is flat out awesome!

#3 | Posted by PinchALoaf at 2018-01-20 08:21 PM

Not that Maher is right or wrong but of all people in late night comedy he's the most likely to have forced himself on a woman.

#4 | Posted by Tor at 2018-01-20 08:36 PM

#4 | POSTED BY TOR

Baseless innuendo. You're just going by what you think you know about him.

#5 | Posted by PinchALoaf at 2018-01-20 08:43 PM

Thats your theory.

#6 | Posted by Tor at 2018-01-20 08:50 PM

That's your theory.

#6 | POSTED BY TOR

While I'm not Maher's public defender, you could always show proof instead of just saying he's guilty of ... something.

#7 | Posted by PinchALoaf at 2018-01-20 08:54 PM

Ever notice Maher has never been married?

How about his dating Ann Coulter?

#8 | Posted by Tor at 2018-01-20 10:02 PM

And Superhead.

#9 | Posted by fresno500 at 2018-01-20 10:12 PM

Ever notice Maher has never been married.

Yeah, he talks about it all the time, doesn't want kids and he likes the bachelor life.

Doesn't mean he treats women like ----.

#10 | Posted by bruceaz at 2018-01-20 10:45 PM

Without even an accusation it is just wrong to impugn his character. You demonstrate that his comments about #MeToo becoming #MeCarthyism are dead on.

#11 | Posted by danni at 2018-01-21 05:50 AM

you could always show proof

Seems here this request is only for support for party affiliation.

#12 | Posted by Crassus at 2018-01-21 05:57 AM

Seems here this request is only for support for party affiliation.

#12 | POSTED BY CRASSUS

A link was all I was saying ... post a link.

#13 | Posted by PinchALoaf at 2018-01-21 07:10 AM

#4, #6, #8 | Posted by Tor

People like you are part of the problem.

#14 | Posted by Angrydad at 2018-01-21 09:59 AM

You're just going by what you think you know about him.

I've heard from people who work in TV that Bill Maher is a huge jerk to the people who work on his shows. For that reason I feel like his fear of a witch hunt is motivated by concern that his abusive behavior -- whether sexual or otherwise -- will catch up with him.

#15 | Posted by rcade at 2018-01-21 02:38 PM

#15 | POSTED BY RCADE

We should all be against all types of witch hunts.

If you have credible sources saying Maher is a huge jerk, then I believe you.

But you have to admit that it'd be ironic (big understatement) if someone in Hollywood tried to unfairly smear Maher with baseless sexual misconduct after Maher was smeared by right-wingers right after 9/11 for his comments about the hijackers.

#16 | Posted by PinchALoaf at 2018-01-21 02:57 PM

If you have credible sources saying Maher is a huge jerk, then I believe you.

Posted by PinchALoaf at 2018-01-21 02:57 PM | Reply

He is a royal jerk

#17 | Posted by LauraMohr at 2018-01-21 02:59 PM

He is a royal jerk

#17 | POSTED BY LAURAMOHR

Same thing has been said about Bernie.

#18 | Posted by PinchALoaf at 2018-01-21 03:10 PM

www.theguardian.com

Maher is, perhaps, the pinnacle of classist smugness. In the summer of 1998, when I was 17 and just out of high school, I worked at a grain elevator during the wheat harvest. An elevator 50 miles east in Haysville, Kansas, exploded (grain dust is highly combustible), killing seven workers. The accident rattled my community and reminded us about the physical dangers my family and I often faced as farmers.

I kept going to work like everyone else and, after a long day weighing wheat trucks and hauling heavy sacks of feed in and out of the mill, liked to watch Politically Incorrect, the ABC show Maher hosted then. With the search for one of the killed workers' bodies still under way, Maher joked, as I recall, that the people should check their loaves of Wonder Bread.

#19 | Posted by LauraMohr at 2018-01-21 03:20 PM

"That moment was perhaps my first reckoning with the hard truth that, throughout my life, I would politically identify with the same people who often insult the place I am from."

You didn't ever hear your people insult the liberal coasts, home to people like Bill Maher?

#20 | Posted by snoofy at 2018-01-21 03:36 PM

#19 | POSTED BY LAURAMOHR

Bill Maher is not your enemy.

I'm sure deep down Bernie Sanders, when I got to introduce him during my state's 2016 caucus, looked at me and thought "look at this guy" ... Bernie probably was thinking I was some star-struck rube from the Midwest -- and I mostly am that, hahaha ... but who cares, I certainly don't.

Jerk or no jerk, Bill Maher is easily one of Liberal America's greatest asset.

#21 | Posted by PinchALoaf at 2018-01-21 03:40 PM

Bill Maher is not your enemy.

Jerk or no jerk, Bill Maher is easily one of Liberal America's greatest asset.

Posted by PinchALoaf at 2018-01-21 03:40 PM | Reply

You can have him. I want NOTHING to do with him.

#22 | Posted by LauraMohr at 2018-01-21 03:42 PM

Well Laura, some of us like gallows humor.
Bill does bring opposite sides to his show and no matter how much they disagree his worst opponents can't help cracking a smile if not a belly laugh during new rules.

Lighten up

#23 | Posted by bruceaz at 2018-01-21 03:50 PM

Well Laura, some of us like gallows humor.

Lighten up

Posted by bruceaz at 2018-01-21 03:50 PM | Reply

I worked in a grain elevator one summer. His comment was over the line for me.

#24 | Posted by LauraMohr at 2018-01-21 03:53 PM

I worked in a grain elevator one summer. His comment was over the line for me.

#24 | POSTED BY LAURAMOHR

You should consider writing him explaining why his tasteless joke was wrong ... not saying he'd respond with an apology, or even respond ... but since it bothers you so much, you'd at least get the satisfaction of doing your part (so to speak).

#25 | Posted by PinchALoaf at 2018-01-21 04:14 PM

‘Real Time' Doesn't Need to Go, But Bill Maher Should Be Fired

HBO should continue to air a roundtable show about current events, a forum for the witty and wise to air their views, complete with F-bombs.

But Bill Maher shouldn't be part of it. Whether or not "Real Time" continues, Maher should be fired.

Not just for his indefensible use of the n-word on Friday's edition of "Real Time." Though, as last straws go, that's more of an enormous hay bale. It's beyond ridiculous to think that any white person, in public life or out of it, would think it's acceptable to use that word. How can anyone take Maher seriously, on any topic, if he's too oblivious, arrogant, and condescending to know that?

Use of that word by Maher was racist, full stop. And it's just the latest in a very long string of racist, sexist, Islamophobic, homophobic, and transphobic things Maher has said or tacitly encouraged (all of which makes his inevitable apology ring very hollow).

White men of Maher's age and class get away with being able to take the stance that they are speaking truth to power by entertaining certain brands of intolerant idiocy. That Maher is doing his cushy job from inside an enormous fortress of privilege is not acceptable.

Political and social mores may be changing, but something else is going on. People who were voiceless and easily ignored now have more ways to speak up and speak out. Those who were never OK with offensive statements Maher has made over the years now have more ways to make their objections known. And the social media trends that empower them are joining their voices into a loud chorus.

So HBO has a choice: Stand by a host who has engaged in a pattern of racist and offensive statements.

Or, take this opportunity to jettison a frequently embarrassing asset -- and start fresh.

Bill Maher's offensive behavior is well known here is Hollywood, but since the Left loves his show they have put up with it since it makes a lot of money.

#26 | Posted by Rightocenter at 2018-01-21 04:19 PM

#26 | POSTED BY RIGHTOCENTER

Maher's N-bomb was out of line ...

But your defense of hard-core Hollywood political-correctness is really funny.

#27 | Posted by PinchALoaf at 2018-01-21 04:26 PM

How am I defending it, I heckle it on a daily basis.

#28 | Posted by Rightocenter at 2018-01-21 04:36 PM

Bill's N bomb was funny as hell, it was great quip with perfect timing for the subject being discussed.

The blatant racism is all around even here. Guess what, it's white folk who use the most welfare, foodstamps etc.

Crazy crap going down in the city, yeah guess what color they were?

Read racist ---- all the time, even here.

#29 | Posted by bruceaz at 2018-01-21 04:50 PM

How am I defending it, I heckle it on a daily basis.

#28 | POSTED BY RIGHTOCENTER

You're an older right-of-center white guy, highly educated, a white-collar professional and former Marine ...

Who is in lock-step with the Natalie Portman's of the world (Hillary supporters) ... and with the most rabid Maher critics (young college age Millennials) who say the above Steve Martin/King Tut video is racist ...

Older White Guy Authority = Clinton Democratic Establishment = College Snowflakes

Now THAT's a helleva coalition !!!

Politics indeed makes for some strange bedfellows.

#30 | Posted by PinchALoaf at 2018-01-21 05:51 PM

Comedians job is to push the boundaries of PCness, all good comedians cross the line occasionally. Al Franken was a comedian who walked the PC line pretty well but even he crossed it and paid a price for crossing it. If you don't like comedy that crosses the PC line then watch the Disney Channel.

#31 | Posted by danni at 2018-01-21 06:05 PM

Describing the awkward nature of first romances, making all of the worst assumptions, is bound to make it sound like something is going wrong.

#32 | Posted by BruceBanner at 2018-01-21 06:12 PM

From ROC's link:

bob says:
AUGUST 31, 2017 AT 2:11 AM
I'm about as conservative as they come but I would be outraged if Maher was silenced. This crowd will not be satisfied until all thoughts not in-step with their own are eliminated

#33 | Posted by rstybeach11 at 2018-01-21 06:22 PM

This is what Matt Taibbi was getting at in his recent interview ...

Journalism and "the new anti-speech movement on the left"
www.drudge.com
[37:29]

#34 | Posted by PinchALoaf at 2018-01-21 06:56 PM

"This crowd will not be satisfied until all thoughts not in-step with their own are eliminated"

Say what you will about people.
Only one political party acts that way, it's the GOP, with their loyalty pledges that are required to attend GOP rallies.

#35 | Posted by snoofy at 2018-01-21 07:02 PM

#35 | POSTED BY SNOOFY

But it's not a zero sum situation.

Yes, the GOP is worse (much worse) and the GOP has always had this group-think problem (patriotism, no taxes, fall in line mentality) ... but it's now becoming more common in liberal circles.

I'm critiquing liberals and Democrats, but I'm still light years away from ever pulling the voting lever for conservative Republicans on election day.

Liberals and Democrats make the most sense, period. But there's still room for plenty of improvement.

#36 | Posted by PinchALoaf at 2018-01-21 07:45 PM

If you have credible sources saying Maher is a huge jerk, then I believe you.

I regard it as credible enough that I've been wondering if he would be the focus of a #MeToo story.

#37 | Posted by rcade at 2018-01-21 08:24 PM

Like a broken clock, Maher is right twice a day, and this is one of them.

#38 | Posted by sentinel at 2018-01-21 10:40 PM

"Maher's N-bomb was out of line ..."

It was nothing compared to the N-bomb that was dropped by the jackass sitting next to him in the above video. That unfortunately makes Maher's commentary very ironic. It makes it look like he doesn't know there's a middle ground between "nothing is funny" and "anything goes, including calling our president the N-word".

#39 | Posted by sentinel at 2018-01-21 10:52 PM

but it's now becoming more common in liberal circles.

Exactly. The political spectrum is not in the shape of a line, but a circle instead.

#40 | Posted by rstybeach11 at 2018-01-22 02:18 AM

Identity politics strikes again.....

Remember back when humans used to be able to think outside of their own egos? It was possible to 'see the big picture' in those days.

Even though most male-produced sexual harrassment (and rape) is driven by male ego, if women's egos didn't push them to entice men, the problem would be much less prevalent. This is the dirty little secret. Some women would rather be 'advanced upon' than ignored.

Until that becomes part of the conversation, then there is no conversation, just whining from women who want to say, 'I used to be attractive'.

I suppose the next step in this disconnected reality will be to claim that attractiveness has no place in the reproductive cycle.

#41 | Posted by kudzu at 2018-01-22 09:52 AM

The problem isn't really with "liberals," it's with our media that turns things that are not really news into stories and then doesn't bother to report on the things that are news.

#42 | Posted by danni at 2018-01-22 10:55 AM

And for the record, the only "former" or "ex" Marines are either dishonorably discharged or dead.

#43 | Posted by Rightocenter at 2018-01-22 02:24 PM

pretend all you want, dating Ann Coulter is a sign of ill Mental health.

#44 | Posted by Tor at 2018-01-22 04:15 PM

"Wow, that is so convoluted and wrong that I need some of what you are smoking to make sense of it."

Nah, it still wouldn't make sense. It's just that then, chances are, you wouldn't care.

#45 | Posted by Gal_Tuesday at 2018-01-22 08:19 PM

Drudge Retort Headlines

Florida Governor: Those Under Age 21 Should Not Own Guns (275 comments)

Texas School Will Punish Any Student Who Protests (85 comments)

3 More Deputies On Scene Did Not Enter School (84 comments)

The AR-15 Inflicts Devastatingly Different Wounds (77 comments)

Parkland School Cop Didn't Enter Building (68 comments)

House Intel Committee Releases Democratic Memo (60 comments)

Gates Expected to Plead Guilty, Help Mueller (42 comments)

Teacher Bonuses for Guns But Not Education (38 comments)

EPA Chief Says Bible Defends His Environmental Policies (24 comments)