Saturday, January 20, 2018

Four Different DNA Tests Reveal Four Different Genetic Results

Gizmodo writer Kristen V. Brown sent her DNA to multiple genetic testing companies and found each gave very different results. Brown breaks down her results and interviews the companies about their procedures to try to make sense of the varying results. Genetics is inherently a comparative science: Data about your genes is determined by comparing them to the genes of other people," Brown writes. As Adam Rutherford, a British geneticist and author of the excellent book 'A Brief History of Everyone Who Ever Lived,' explained to me, we've got a fundamental misunderstanding of what an ancestry DNA test even does. "They're not telling you where your DNA comes from in the past," he told me, "They're telling you where on Earth your DNA is from today."

Comments

So the tests aren't very accurate. Throw in the fact that Great Grandma may have had a thing for the hired man and your oral family history might not include you.

#1 | Posted by Whizzo at 2018-01-20 03:13 PM

Whizzo, that assumes they even performed an actual DNA test.

#2 | Posted by Lohocla at 2018-01-20 10:57 PM

Interesting, but link is broken...

#3 | Posted by Rightocenter at 2018-01-20 11:31 PM

I always knew it was pseudoscience, at best, a scam at worst.

#4 | Posted by sentinel at 2018-01-21 01:18 AM

link is broken...
#3 RIGHTOCENTER

email.getpocket.com

#5 | Posted by Whizzo at 2018-01-21 06:58 AM

This is a good article. Bottom line: it's not pseudoscience, but it's overinterpreted and matching data sets from many parts of The world is thin. When it says you are such and such percent Italian, it means that people living in Italy today who have taken their test share some percentage of the same markers found in your sample. The link above works.

#6 | Posted by mad_as_hell at 2018-01-21 10:57 AM

photos.app.goo.gl

#7 | Posted by ichiro at 2018-01-21 01:41 PM

If they allow you to take the raw data and analyze it yourself, then why not?

#8 | Posted by BruceBanner at 2018-01-21 07:28 PM

"If they allow you to take the raw data and analyze it yourself, then why not?"

Do they give you the raw data, though?
I've never actually figured out what the look at. Microsatellites? I'm not big on human genotyping.

#9 | Posted by snoofy at 2018-01-21 07:30 PM

My test results weren't surprising. My dad is clearly northern European, my mom is of Italian ancestry.

My results came back 50% northern European - from my dad; and 35% Italian and the other 15% a mixture of north African, Middle eastern and Subsaharan African - from my mom.

I thought the part from my mother was the most interesting because it shows the cultural mixing that occurred with Roman empire and Renaissance era. Italy was the center of both.

#10 | Posted by jamesgelliott at 2018-01-22 07:43 AM

#10 | Posted by jamesgelliott

I think the point here is your "results" are probably not accurate. Which renders them meaningless.

#11 | Posted by Angrydad at 2018-01-22 07:53 AM

No, based on family history they seem very accurate.

And the article pointed out that as each companies database grows, the more accurate the results will become.

Each will also be looking at different genetic markers which would cause different, but not necessarily incorrect results.

#12 | Posted by jamesgelliott at 2018-01-22 10:40 AM

My results accurately predicted I am half donkey. The bottom half.

#13 | Posted by BruceBanner at 2018-01-22 11:15 PM

My results accurately predicted I am half donkey. The bottom half.
#13 | POSTED BY BRUCEBANNER

You must have one hell of a kick!

#14 | Posted by rstybeach11 at 2018-01-23 12:04 AM

Drudge Retort Headlines

Florida Governor: Those Under Age 21 Should Not Own Guns (100 comments)

Trump Wants to Arm Teachers (91 comments)

Trump Needed 'Cheat Sheet' When He Met Survivors (72 comments)

Texas School Will Punish Any Student Who Protests (69 comments)

How Low Are You Willing to See America Go? (65 comments)

Parkland School Cop Didn't Enter Building (54 comments)

32 More Indictments for Manafort, Gates (54 comments)

More Guns Do Not Stop More Crimes (52 comments)

NRA Opposes Age Limits on Gun Purchases (52 comments)