Friday, January 05, 2018

Don't Offroad Your New Truck on a Frozen Lake

[A] couple of guys testing out a new four-wheel drive Chevy drove over a frozen pond and ended up stuck in sand, ice, and mud on Chouteau Island, just north of Interstate 270 in Madison County, Illinois. Things got even worse. The truck's owner told Fox2/News 11 a friend was driving just before sunrise on New Year's Day; they thought the frozen pond was a frozen field. "It's permafrost," [Austin] Opp said. "It was frozen hard enough that it held him up for a while then it just collapsed in, which what I'd expect him to do." The owner yelled from the passenger seat for his friend to turn back, he said. They were nearly off of the pond when the ice started giving way. The truck's owner then rented a backhoe to try to fish out his truck. As he got close, an unseen pocket of ice, sand, and mud gave way and down went the backhoe, he said. Both vehicles remained frozen stuck some two to three feet deep in a spot that will be six to seven feet underwater come spring.

Comments

Need some good old Canadian ingenuity here...I've been fishing cats,loaders,skidders,and drill steel barges out of lakes and through the ice my whole working career..where there is a will and a reason there is a way.

#1 | Posted by ghoti at 2018-01-04 03:22 PM

Typical Dummkopts.

#2 | Posted by LauraMohr at 2018-01-04 03:26 PM

Don't Offroad Your New Truck on a Frozen Lake, offroad your friend's truck instead.

just like my dad told me how to learn to drive without using the clutch: "learn on someone else's car"

#3 | Posted by bus_driver at 2018-01-05 02:04 PM

Time to rent an excavator... What a couple of idiots. LMAO

I have a few of these stories... I used to off-road with friends - where it was allowed. And then there were my Dumb-a acquaintances (and sadly occasionally a friend) who would do stupid things and end up in bad situations. I remember one winter watching all the idiots driving their cars and trucks (there were about 15 of them) down onto the river in town with the snowmobilers. We had a trailer with snowmobiles on it we were going to go on a run but we were not going down there with the idiots. BTW - It is legal to drive there even without an ORV license BUT you have to follow the rules - Donuts, Power slides, etc = Very illegal. There was one spot that we knew there would be thin ice - because of the current there it rarely froze over but it was that night. We were making bets on who would be the idiot to go through there when two Police cars and a DNR truck pulled up next to us. We were laughing, one of them smiled at us, they went down to each of the "landings" and then they hit the lights and all people screwing around tried to get off the ice and flee... Well one guy and his buddies in a beautiful jacked up 4x4 ran over that spot trying to sneak off the opposite bank. Total costs: $10k for specialized wrecker services extracting the truck, I don't know what the DNR fines ran ($3-5k I am guessing) and he got a Reckless driving ticket on top of it. They let everyone else go with a warning...

#4 | Posted by GalaxiePete at 2018-01-05 04:56 PM

I don't have any stick-in-the-mud stories (well, except for my first husband) but in the case here, I wonder if anybody has thought about something bigger than a backhoe and a longer chain?

#5 | Posted by Twinpac at 2018-01-05 05:40 PM

Famous last words: "Hey! Ya'll watch this!"

#6 | Posted by donnerboy at 2018-01-05 05:42 PM

DONNERBOY

Famous last words. "Hey! Ya'll watch this!"

There's no need to drag Donald Trump into this.

#7 | Posted by Twinpac at 2018-01-05 06:27 PM

I wonder if these two goobers are Trumpers? If not, it sounds like they meet the criteria for membership.

#8 | Posted by paltroon1 at 2018-01-05 06:42 PM

"I wonder if these two goobers are Trumpers?"

LOL

They bought new Truck and the first thing they did was drive it into a lake?

Ummmm yeah, they're Trumpers.

There's no need to drag Donald Trump into this.

#7 | Posted by Twinpac

OOPS!

#9 | Posted by donnerboy at 2018-01-05 07:21 PM

DONNERBOY

Yeah, I know.

#10 | Posted by Twinpac at 2018-01-05 07:26 PM

"Hold muh beer"

#11 | Posted by lfthndthrds at 2018-01-06 07:53 AM

www.hdc.ca

#12 | Posted by Twinpac at 2018-01-06 08:05 AM

Reminds me of this:
m.youtube.com

#13 | Posted by woe_is_W at 2018-01-06 10:10 AM

Famous last words: "Hey! Ya'll watch this!"
#6 | POSTED BY DONNERBOY

Famous last words: "Hey! Ya'll watch this, hold my Beer Bro!"

FTFY lol.

#14 | Posted by PinkyanTheBrain at 2018-01-06 10:47 AM

A big part of the fun is getting stuck. Off roading is not about staying between the lines.

#15 | Posted by visitor_ at 2018-01-06 11:07 AM

When I was up in the U.P., someone told me that the state would fine you for every day your vehicles stayed in the or under the water.

I don't know how much is true and how much is fishing stories, but they said that people have had fines that exceeded the value of the vehicle.

#16 | Posted by kudzu at 2018-01-06 11:35 AM

It depends where you are, but that's pretty common. A lot of idiots here get their trucks impounded because they simply won't stop driving them around in the rivers.

#17 | Posted by REDIAL at 2018-01-06 11:42 AM

There should be a specific exclusion for that in auto policies. Deliberately and intentionally driving your vehicle on a frozen lake.....even an unfrozen lake. LOL

#18 | Posted by eberly at 2018-01-06 12:26 PM

EBERLY

I think driving a vehicle into a lake on purpose, while drunk, already takes care of that.

At least I hope so.

#19 | Posted by Twinpac at 2018-01-06 12:58 PM

Around here there is an organization that clears roadways and access points on the lake for ice fishermen. That organization also runs a salvage and recovery service for sunken vehicles.

#20 | Posted by visitor_ at 2018-01-06 01:05 PM

Not really. Carriers will still pay out.

#21 | Posted by eberly at 2018-01-07 10:05 AM

Yeah but what will your rates be next 6 months?

#22 | Posted by TaoWarrior at 2018-01-07 10:55 AM

oh yeah....they will get their $$$ back.

#23 | Posted by eberly at 2018-01-07 11:07 AM

Drudge Retort Headlines

3 More Deputies On Scene Did Not Enter School (105 comments)

House Intel Committee Releases Democratic Memo (92 comments)

The AR-15 Inflicts Devastatingly Different Wounds (85 comments)

Rice 'Justifiably Concerned' Sharing Intel with Trump Administration (33 comments)

China: America's Easy Gun Sales a Human Rights Problem (29 comments)

What Life Without Retirement Savings Looks Like (27 comments)

Trump Reads Racist Anti-Immigrant Lyrics at CPAC (24 comments)

EPA Chief Says Bible Defends His Environmental Policies (24 comments)

Ted Cruz: 'Democrats Are the Party of Lisa Simpson' (23 comments)

Parkland Student: 'We Should Call AR-15s Marco Rubio' (17 comments)