Tuesday, January 02, 2018

The West Can Help Iranians Seeking Freedom

Eli Lake: In case anyone was wondering, Donald Trump, Hillary Clinton and the rest of America's political class are with the protesters in Iran. Statements have been issued. Tweets have been tweeted. Virtue has been signaled. Like the last time Iranians took to the streets, in 2009, these easy acts of solidarity are self-satisfying. But they do not substitute for policy or strategy. It's time for the hard part. ... I hope the unrest in Iran spreads and the fanatics, thieves and terrorists who have infantilized Iranians for 38 years are toppled. But it's likely the unrest today is the beginning of a longer process. This regime has survived mass demonstrations and riots before and restored the fear necessary to continue its misrule. It's the West's job in these coming weeks to support our real allies, the Iranian people demanding freedom.

Comments

It's the West's job in these coming weeks to support our real allies

Iran survives on two things.

1. The myth of Persian Empire greatness.

2. The fact that they see themselves as unique... the only Shia majority nation (there are others but not of this size).

If the Iranian people are to be helped, one has to destroy one or both of these "pillars".

For example, in the rest of the Muslim world, the silly Iranian faith is known as "the Circus Act of Islam".

Know it for what it is and toss it back in their face. And belittle their history... Prince of Persia my butt.

Maybe they'll finally see themselves in the mirror for the troublemakers they are and back off Yemen, Syria, Iraq, Lebanon, etc.

#1 | Posted by J_Tremain at 2018-01-03 02:33 AM

But as we all know Da West can't find it's own butt with both hands .. thanks to American "leadership"... sooooo nothing here to get too excited about.

#2 | Posted by J_Tremain at 2018-01-03 02:41 AM

"If a people desire to be free, let them take up arms". Thomas Jefferson/ As far as Iran's greatness, it only took some Greeks less than a couple of years to tear down that empire, kill their emperor and take over in the third century BC. The Arab hoard did it again in the 7th century. The Moguls did it in the 9th, the Ottoman did it in the 11th and the British did it in the 20th. Persia is and has been the door mat of Asia.

#3 | Posted by docnjo at 2018-01-03 07:13 AM

This is what's known as softening the ground for a war.

LOL ~ And you all thought North Korea was going to be the target.

#4 | Posted by Twinpac at 2018-01-03 09:25 AM

Let them fight for their own freedom. No reason at all to get involved in any way.

#5 | Posted by Will123 at 2018-01-03 09:36 AM

Every time I hear the words "It's the West's responsibility" I know what's coming.

You might as well dust off your old playbook for all the reasons for invading Iraq. I think we're going to see history repeat itself.

#6 | Posted by Twinpac at 2018-01-03 09:56 AM

Leon Panetta on 2009 Iranian Protests: Obama Should Have Sent ‘Clearer Message' of Support

Former Defense Secretary Leon Panetta told CNN host Jake Tapper on Tuesday that former President Barack Obama should have sent a "clearer message" in 2009 by standing stronger with Iranian protesters.

"I do think that that was an appropriate time for the United States to have sent a clearer message that we stand by those who try to represent the rights of people," Panetta said. "That's what the United States is all about, and it would have been important to have sent that message at the time."

#7 | Posted by nullifidian at 2018-01-03 10:08 AM

Or we could takeout the Obama playbook, and send drones into just about every middle East country, dropping 27,000 bombs in 2016.

As nulli points out showing moral support and possibly covert $$$ goes a long way.

Certainly enabling, by stopping investigations their terrorist arm to get them to become moderates is an odd policy.

NYT:

mobile.twitter.com

#8 | Posted by AndreaMackris at 2018-01-03 10:20 AM

Every time I hear the words "It's the West's responsibility" I have to wonder if Putin ever said "It's Russia's responsibility" regarding the United States.

#9 | Posted by Twinpac at 2018-01-03 10:48 AM

Isn't that the central premise behind the Russian Collusion theory?

#10 | Posted by Rightocenter at 2018-01-03 12:35 PM

Shades of 1979:

The head of Tehran's Revolutionary Court also reportedly warned that arrested protesters could potentially face the death penalty.

"Obviously one of their charges can be Moharebeh," or waging war against God, Iran's semi-official Tasnim news agency quoted Mousa Ghazanfarabadi as saying. Moharebeh is punishable by death in Iran.

Only a matter of time before the Rev Council starts executing protesters, ala the Pahlavi regime.

History never repeats
I tell myself before I go to sleep
Don't say the words you might regret
I lost before, you know I can't forget

-Split Enz

#11 | Posted by Rightocenter at 2018-01-03 12:41 PM

Yeah...based on recent experiences, a logical person could only conclude that US interference or involvement in Iran would only result in something even worse taking root.

#12 | Posted by madbomber at 2018-01-03 12:55 PM

From what I have heard, the Theocracy is pretty awful but I do agree with the sentiment. The Iranian people have already proven that they can affect regime change on their own, let them deal with it.

From a Geopolitical standpoint even this unrest is helpful for US goals, so we should leave them alone to figure it out.

#13 | Posted by Rightocenter at 2018-01-03 01:57 PM

"If a people desire to be free, let them take up arms". Thomas Jefferson

"Oh thank God! Here come the French!"
Also Thomas Jefferson

#14 | Posted by DirkStruan at 2018-01-03 03:32 PM

"Barack Obama's failure to stand up for Iran's protestors in 2009 -- a position currently being repeated by many Western liberals -- is based on a deeply misguided premise that the regime can be reformed. It can't."

Yeah, he should have invaded and occupied to help them build a "democracy in the ME." Obama did virtually exactly what was right at the time and we did not go to war with Iran.

#15 | Posted by danni at 2018-01-03 03:42 PM

When our tanks and bombs start destroying their infrastructure and accidentally killing civillians I'm sure they will grow to love us.

#16 | Posted by danni at 2018-01-03 03:49 PM

"The Iranian people have already proven that they can affect regime change on their own, let them deal with it."

The Iranian people are the ones who put the Theocracy in charge.

"From a Geopolitical standpoint even this unrest is helpful for US goals"

I'm not entirely sure that our goals aren't to support Saudi/Turkish regional aspirations...I'm not sure I don't trust the Iranians more:)

#17 | Posted by madbomber at 2018-01-03 05:06 PM

"Obama did virtually exactly what was right at the time and we did not go to war with Iran."

Or not.

#18 | Posted by humtake at 2018-01-04 11:52 AM

The West can't even help the West get their freedom back from the government, how are we going to really help anyone else?

#19 | Posted by humtake at 2018-01-04 11:53 AM

Re #19

The term "freedom" is very interesting to me(also "the pursuit of happiness" but that is another story). We use it a lot in America but when questioned most have no idea what it really means.

Which "freedoms" have you personally lost that you can't recover from your government?

#20 | Posted by donnerboy at 2018-01-04 12:17 PM

History never repeats
I tell myself before I go to sleep
Don't say the words you might regret
I lost before, you know I can't forget
-Split Enz

#11 | POSTED BY RIGHTOCENTER

History doesn't repeat itself.

But it often rhymes. - Mark Twain

(maybe but interestingly someone apparently said something quite similar once before)

#21 | Posted by donnerboy at 2018-01-04 12:22 PM

"A Liberal who doesn't have the cognitive ability to see the negatives of his/her opinion...how unique.
Or not."

Oh gee Humtake, I so highly value your opinion. Now, I'm crushed.

In reality, if you agreed with me I'd then worry that I was losing it.

#22 | Posted by danni at 2018-01-04 12:30 PM

Drudge Retort Headlines

Shutdown (170 comments)

Steele: 'This Shutdown Rests at the Feet of the GOP' (38 comments)

God Said Defendant Is Not Guilty, Judge Tells Jury (22 comments)

White House Budget Director: Shutdown 'Kind of Cool' (17 comments)

When Trump's Foreign Policy Luck Runs Out (17 comments)

Trump Tells Activists He Opposes Childbirth (13 comments)

City With 3.7 Million Residents Has Three Months of Water Left (11 comments)

Tom Petty Died from Accidental Opioid Overdose (10 comments)