Tuesday, January 02, 2018

Chappelle Stumbles Into the #MeToo Moment

In "The Bird Revelation," the first comedy special to focus on the #MeToo movement, Dave Chappelle, sitting on a stool at the Comedy Store in Los Angeles in November, pauses to give advice to some comedians in the back. "You have a responsibility to speak recklessly," he says. In that special and a second one, "Equanimity," both released on Sunday by Netflix, he makes a show of hesitating before wading into controversial territory. It's an old tactic of his, building suspense by suggesting he is about to say something taboo. But it's worth asking: Just how reckless is Dave Chappelle being these days?

Comments

Watch the leftists eat another of their own. smh.

#1 | Posted by BruceBanner at 2018-01-02 03:53 PM

It's a good show. Chappelle is one of the few people in America who can and will speak freely. He is very funny and very intelligent. No comedian will ever be as smart and as dead-on accurate as george carlin but Chappelle is second, IMHO.

#2 | Posted by kudzu at 2018-01-03 08:10 AM

I agree with you that Chapelle is above most.

A friend said, "I used to think Dave Chapelle was very talented, but now I realize that he is very intelligent"

#3 | Posted by BruceBanner at 2018-01-03 08:34 AM

I watched them both back-to-back last night on NetFlix. Chappelle's matured a good deal.

One thing he mentioned was something I've been mulling-over myself, but haven't mentioned to anyone: Maybe the installment of Donald Trump is what it's going to take for this country to get its head out of its ass.

Spoiler: He made the parallel between the murder of young Emmett Till at the hands of white supremacists--and how Emmett's mother insisted on an open casket to show the world what the vigilante mob did to her son. It shocked the country to the point that something had to be done.

Emmett Till

#4 | Posted by madscientist at 2018-01-03 10:02 AM

#4 | POSTED BY MADSCIENTIST

It's an optimistic thought, but I don't see a ground swell of common sense, do you? All I see is the same dumbasses that elected him trying to make their extremist views seem like the norm.

Of course, now that I think about it, it's the same thing that these same racists did in the 60's, when they were justifying their violent racism. But in that case, the violence was the catalyst, not the racism.

#5 | Posted by kudzu at 2018-01-03 10:29 AM

#4 I have thought that too. Do you see it happening though?

#6 | Posted by BruceBanner at 2018-01-03 10:38 AM

#5 Yeah, that's why I haven't mentioned it. Left unchecked by Congress, Trump has the power to do some fairly serious damage to the country and I don't want anything I say to be misconstrued as support for him. His persona is that of a loose cannon. Extracting the real persona from the play-actor in him is difficult. It works for him because he's had plenty of money and a surfeit of victims who thought they could control him via the courts if he reneged on a deal. Hopefully there are some senior advisors wise enough to keep his temper in check when it comes to the possibility of Armageddon.

#7 | Posted by madscientist at 2018-01-03 10:40 AM

#4 Not yet, Bruce.

#8 | Posted by madscientist at 2018-01-03 10:40 AM

Drudge Retort Headlines

White House Budget Director: Shutdown 'Kind of Cool' (66 comments)

Oxfam: World's Richest 1% Hoard 82% of the Wealth (48 comments)

Senate Votes to End Shut Down (39 comments)

When Trump's Foreign Policy Luck Runs Out (19 comments)

Opinion: Fix NFL PR Nightmare? Put a Woman in Charge (18 comments)

Patriots vs. Eagles (17 comments)

White House Answering Machine Message Lays Blame (15 comments)

Voters Disapprove of Trump, Doubt His Mental Stability (14 comments)

What Killed the Aztecs? After 500 Years, We May Know (14 comments)