Tuesday, January 02, 2018

Does Trump Have Dementia?

Charles P. Pierce: On Thursday, El Caudillo del Mar-A-Lago sat down with Michael Schmidt of The New York Times for what apparently was an open-ended, one-on-one interview. ... In my view, the interview is a clinical study of a man in severe cognitive decline, if not the early stages of outright dementia. ... In this interview, the president is only intermittently coherent. He talks in semi-sentences and is always groping for something that sounds familiar, even if it makes no sense whatsoever and even if it blatantly contradicts something he said two minutes earlier. To my ears, anyway, this is more than the president's well-known allergy to the truth. This is a classic coping mechanism employed when language skills are coming apart.

Comments

If you read the transcript of the NY Times interview, and can refute what this author et al suggests, please feel free to jump in.

I doubt any of DR Trumphumpers will accept the challenge.

#1 | Posted by oldwhiskeysour at 2018-01-01 02:11 PM

Here ya go, have another read:

www.motherjones.com

#2 | Posted by oldwhiskeysour at 2018-01-01 02:15 PM

Dementia is expected to exacerbate Personality Disorder.

#3 | Posted by Zed at 2018-01-02 08:09 AM

Yes, next question?

#4 | Posted by truthhurts at 2018-01-02 03:00 PM

My dad has that affection, I deal with that every day. So what is this? Wishful thinking?

#5 | Posted by docnjo at 2018-01-02 03:00 PM

#5 | POSTED BY DOCNJO AT 2018-01-02 03:00 PM | FLAG:

No, I'd say most of us don't wish for a president with cognitive impairment. We're just looking for a reasonable explanation for his childish and irrational behavior, baffling lack of decorum and limited vocabulary.

#6 | Posted by cbob at 2018-01-02 03:21 PM

ZED

I don't know if he's in the early stages of dementia or not. I know he's under a lot of stress with enemies closing in on him from all directions which exacerbates his paranoia. Also, I doubt if anybody would be surprised to learn Trump is a user.

Whatever it is, he seems to be on a downward spiral. He was never man enough for the job anyway.

#8 | Posted by Twinpac at 2018-01-02 03:24 PM

#5 | POSTED BY DOCNJO

"Affliction"

Do you see similarities between what you saw as your dad slipped into the affliction, and what Trump has been demonstrating, Doc?

Did you read the NY Times interview, Doc? How bout you, Fish? Did you read the interview?
Take a gander at the interview transcript and let us know if it concerns you a little.

#9 | Posted by oldwhiskeysour at 2018-01-02 03:27 PM

They don't want to read it, OWS. They know the crap he says is nonsensical, but it's uncomfortable to admit they've bet the farm on a doddering old fool.

#12 | Posted by cbob at 2018-01-02 03:34 PM

I seen dementia up close before.

At times Trump does act like he has it.

Stranger yet per our resident scientist in it's latter stages AIDS can cause Dementia.

#13 | Posted by Tor at 2018-01-02 03:34 PM

AIDS? wait he's Haitian?

#14 | Posted by b_al at 2018-01-02 03:41 PM

Also, I doubt if anybody would be surprised to learn Trump is a user.

#8 | Posted by Twinpac at 2018-01-02 03:24 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 2

I wouldn't. Intoxication could explain much, including his increasing paranoia. Not to say that millions aren't out to get him; I'm one of them. However, claiming personal credit for no air deaths is as grandiose (and hence paranoid in a different direction) as you'd expect in any stimulant addict.

#16 | Posted by Zed at 2018-01-02 03:42 PM

#17 | Posted by johnny_hotsauce at 2018-01-02 03:54 PM

can't figure out what the writer is talking about.

#10 | POSTED BY FISHPAW AT 2018-01-02 03:32 PM | FLAG:

But that's not really a new thing for you. Figuring things out is in very short supply for RWNJs. I'd imagine that suction-cup attachment to TrumpTaint is affecting your other senses.

#18 | Posted by Reagan58 at 2018-01-02 04:02 PM

DOCNJO out of all the people you named only one is a head of state, commands armies, or has access to nuclear weapons.

You're damn right it matters more if Trump has dementia.

#20 | Posted by Tor at 2018-01-02 04:07 PM

- If he doesn't then what is the excuse for his erratic behavior and nonsensical, incomplete speech?

Just a typical rwinger. That's why they love him so.

#21 | Posted by Corky at 2018-01-02 04:13 PM

#20 | Posted by Tor, Wilson should have been removed from office after his stroke, He wasn't. FDR was close to death when he was elected to office in '44, probity why he dumped his VP Wallace, a serious Red, and picked up Truman. Plus you have no idea how nuclear weapons are released. Hint, it isn't as simple as you believe. Commanders in chief don't control the military to the degree you think. Presidents have been stopped dead in their tracks with a few phone calls. Presidents have supporters, so do generals. And the friends of generals are usually holding elected office. The checks and balances on the abuse of executive power works when it is important. But I guess it was OK for Obama to use the IRS to punish his political critics, or Hillery to destabilize Libya, overthrow their government and create Isis all in one fell swoop. I haven't seen any thing Trump has done that approach the stupidity and huberous displayed by the Obama regime.

#22 | Posted by docnjo at 2018-01-02 04:35 PM

en.wikipedia.org

And no amount of pretending that what happened in the past somehow excuses what's happening now changes how unfit donald the demented is.

#23 | Posted by Tor at 2018-01-02 04:44 PM

#22 and now I'm concerned about your dementia.

#24 | Posted by Reagan58 at 2018-01-02 04:48 PM

#22 | Posted by docnjo at 2018-01-02 04:35 PM | Reply

Perhaps it would be better if you just went back to sleep.

#25 | Posted by Zed at 2018-01-02 04:54 PM

Trump has shown enough signs of cognitive impairment that we're taking an enormous risk with the security of the entire world. You can't let someone who talks like he does at times have access to the nuclear codes. There should be aggressive medical tests to determine whether there's a medical explanation for this interview, the recent slurring of words and his fits of rage.

My grandmother had dementia for 10 years before she died. Confusion can lead to sharp anger when your brain and vocal skills aren't working right any more. It's a condition I wouldn't wish on Trump or anyone else.

#26 | Posted by rcade at 2018-01-02 05:22 PM

www.webmd.com

#27 | Posted by jpw at 2018-01-02 06:13 PM

RCADE

My mother also had dementia for 10 years before she died last May at the age of 101. But the onset was recognizable for 10 years before that. It was a terribly frustrating experience for her. Toward the end I could hear her having a conversation with her sister who predeceased her by 5 years. They were very close all their lives and my mother never got over her grief. I've often wondered if my aunt was really there helping my mother through the death experience. It sure sounded like it.

#28 | Posted by Twinpac at 2018-01-02 06:28 PM

"But I guess it was OK for Obama to use the IRS to punish his political critics,"

Did he do this? Where is your proof?

#29 | Posted by DirkStruan at 2018-01-02 06:28 PM

You guys both have my sympathy.

It's terrible to watch a loved one with dementia.

#30 | Posted by Tor at 2018-01-02 06:49 PM

LOL ~ what nonsense.

Obama didn't punish his enemies. He outsmarted them.

#31 | Posted by Twinpac at 2018-01-02 06:50 PM

Thank you TOR.

She died with the same dignity with which she lived her life. She was a great lady.

It was the aftermath that got ugly when some grandchildren showed up at the house with a U-Haul, saying "Grandma said I could have this" and "Grandma said I could have that," blah, blah blah. I chased them away but then I had to call the police at 3 a.m. when they tried to steal my mother's car.

I do understand why people act like that but GEESH! her own grandchildren? (on my sister's side, thank God). It was horrifying behavior.

#32 | Posted by Twinpac at 2018-01-02 07:29 PM

"its well documented without a teleprompter Obama was bumbling idiot."

By who Alex Jones? lol

#34 | Posted by Tor at 2018-01-02 08:01 PM

"its well documented without a teleprompter Obama was bumbling idiot."

No it's not.

#35 | Posted by Zed at 2018-01-02 08:05 PM

"Without the use of the teleprompter, his (Obama's) speech can be described only as "halting."

Oh, that was so very clear that live debate where he crushed Mitt.

"Proceed, Governor".

#36 | Posted by Zed at 2018-01-02 08:07 PM

"its well documented without a teleprompter Obama was bumbling idiot."

Trump's genius is he never uses them.

Oh wait.

#37 | Posted by REDIAL at 2018-01-02 08:12 PM

Mackris speaks with forked tongue.

giftoftruth.files.wordpress.com

#38 | Posted by Corky at 2018-01-02 08:17 PM

Obama was always careful to chose just the right words.
Trump knows very few words from which to chose.

Obama was the Editor of the Harvard Law Review.
Trump writes tweets

Obama can follow a teleprompter.
Trump can't even read a teleprompter.

Obama is a Constitutional Scholar.
Trump doesn't understand the big words.

Obama's communication skills got him elected ~ twice.
Trump's communication skills are going to get him impeached.

Obama never talked down to people.
Trump doesn't know any other way.

Obama didn't have to lie to get elected ~ twice.
Trump doesn't know any other way.

Obama never let his language get out of control.
Trump doesn't know any other way.

Obama was strong and forceful without being obnoxious.
Trump doesn't know any other way.

Obama didn't let the presidency change him.
Score one for Trump. He's always been an ass.

#40 | Posted by Twinpac at 2018-01-02 08:59 PM

I see Andreas post was deleted but it's still on the recently flagged

I always thought Obama's ums and ahs were because he was thinking . What a loser

#41 | Posted by bruceaz at 2018-01-02 08:59 PM

Obama had a mild intellectual stammer.

My theory is people with this know so many words that sometimes have a hard time picking the right ones.

In sharp contrast is Trump who's grammar is that of a high school freshman......at best.

#42 | Posted by Tor at 2018-01-02 09:15 PM

BRUCE

Every president knows that his words are going to be autopsied and dissected under a microscope by the opposition.

Trump's words are reckless, irresponsible, immature, undignafied, vulgar and a source of shame to the Office he holds.

I'm surprised that you think Obama is the one who is the loser. I think you need to examine your priorities.

#43 | Posted by Twinpac at 2018-01-02 09:24 PM

#40 | POSTED BY TWINPAC

Flagged NW halfway through. Got to the end. Should've been a FF.

#44 | Posted by IndianaJones at 2018-01-02 09:29 PM

If you don't know me by now. Sing along with me Twin.

I love Obama, it was good to feel proud of us after a long time.

#45 | Posted by bruceaz at 2018-01-02 09:30 PM

And thinking ,should have been a clue.

#46 | Posted by bruceaz at 2018-01-02 09:32 PM

BRUCE

Glad to hear that. You gave me pause for a moment.

#47 | Posted by Twinpac at 2018-01-02 09:52 PM

Come on luv. Don't leave.me hanging , got a long lonely drive in a few minutes. Need to know we're alright ; )

#48 | Posted by bruceaz at 2018-01-02 09:54 PM

Thanks Twinpac, happy new year

#49 | Posted by bruceaz at 2018-01-02 09:56 PM

JONSIE

"#40 | POSTED BY TWINPAC
Flagged NW halfway through. Got to the end. Should've been a FF"

You were right both times.

#50 | Posted by Twinpac at 2018-01-02 09:57 PM

If Trump doesn't have dementia then he's being eaten alive, from the inside out, by hatred.

#51 | Posted by Twinpac at 2018-01-03 06:37 AM

Probably door # 2.

#52 | Posted by REDIAL at 2018-01-03 07:02 AM

#51 | Posted by Twinpac

Why counldn't it be both?

#53 | Posted by SomebodyElse at 2018-01-03 09:18 AM

SOMEBODY

Yeah, I didn't think of it that way but it's possible, along with a half dozen other possibilities or all of the above, including a tapeworm chomping its way through his brain. I just saw a video on that the other day. The symptoms are about the same.

#54 | Posted by Twinpac at 2018-01-03 11:15 AM

Obama didn't have to lie to get elected ~ twice.#40 | POSTED BY TWINPAC AT 2018-01-02 08:59 PM | FLAG:

Just one example of you being wrong unless you saved $2500 on your insurance and believe that Benghazi was caused by a video.

#55 | Posted by fishpaw at 2018-01-03 01:08 PM

Does it matter whether he's demented or just stupid? He's clearly one or the other so let's just cut to the chase and so something about it.

#56 | Posted by JOE at 2018-01-03 02:02 PM

Obama didn't punish his enemies. He outsmarted them. - #31 | Posted by Twinpac at 2018-01-02 06:50 PM
He should have done a better job. Much of his works are being systematically eliminated by the worst President in modern times. Not as a swipe against Obama, but a 'smarter' move would have been to not squander his original political capital on lying about and pushing through the unfavorable PPACA, and instead worked towards making more popular changes that would not have resulted in a Republican wave of obstruction. Then his policies could be implemented in laws instead of easily wiped away executive orders & memoranda.

#57 | Posted by Avigdore at 2018-01-03 02:04 PM

Then again, slipping into dementia is a gradual process with lucid interludes.

#58 | Posted by bayviking at 2018-01-03 03:57 PM

BAY

"Hasn't anybody noticed yet how he is using his position for personal enrichment and aggrandizement?"

That's a question for the GOP controlled House of Representatives. I'm sure they know but just don't care. The mid-terms could change all that. So could the Mueller report if anything Trump is doing is illegal. So far the House is letting him romp scott free over the ethical standards.

#59 | Posted by Twinpac at 2018-01-04 12:23 AM

#57 | Posted by Avigdore at 2018-01-03 02:04 PM

I think I've just picked up a stalker.

#60 | Posted by Twinpac at 2018-01-04 12:24 AM

Avigdor reminds me of Goatman, a contrarian who liked to split hairs and then argue about it for two days. He must be lonesome.

#61 | Posted by Twinpac at 2018-01-04 03:11 AM

I think I've just picked up a stalker.

#60 | Posted by Twinpac at 2018-01-04 12

I'm not sure he has a stalk.

#62 | Posted by Zed at 2018-01-04 12:40 PM

Benghazi was caused by a video.

#55 | Posted by fishpaw at 2018-01-03 01:08 PMFlag: (Choose)FunnyNewsworthyOffensiveAbusive | Funny: 1

"Benghazi" was caused by the GOP.

#63 | Posted by Zed at 2018-01-04 12:42 PM

At Mar-a-Lago, just before the new year, a heavily made-up Trump failed to recognize a succession of old friends

By summer the mush-brained child rapist won't even be able to remember that he wants to bone his own daughter. Sad.

#64 | Posted by reinheitsgebot at 2018-01-04 01:33 PM

REIN

"Trump failed to recognize a succession of old friends"

Have mercy. A ten hour work week takes it's toll on a fella. ~ LOL

#65 | Posted by Twinpac at 2018-01-05 02:31 AM

Drudge Retort Headlines

Shutdown (151 comments)

Trump Tweet Blows Up GOP Strategy to Avoid Shutdown (61 comments)

Feds Plot Massive NoCal Immigration Sweep (39 comments)

World's Belief in U.S. Leadership Hits New Low (37 comments)

Bannon Thinks He Can Defy Congress (37 comments)

There Are 3.6 Million Dreamers (30 comments)

Obama Returning to Politics in 2018 (24 comments)

Senate Advances Judicial Pick Hostile to Black Voting Rights (22 comments)