Monday, January 01, 2018

Lake Superior Surfer Knows How to Chill

When Dan Schetter saw how the weather was shaping up on Christmas Day -- below zero temperatures and a wind chill hovering around -25 degrees -- he knew it would be a great day for surfing a blustery Lake Superior. Even better, they were fantastic conditions to grow his signature ice beard. ... "It's not like we're trying to out-ice beard each other," he said of other surfers. "I just happen to have the biggest ice beard."

Had to share this as Yooper's are a different breed...

#1 | Posted by GalaxiePete at 2017-12-30 05:33 PM

Yoopers are mos def a breed apart.

#2 | Posted by oldwhiskeysour at 2017-12-30 05:37 PM

I grew up on the north shore of Superior. This guy is nuts.

Mind you, we didn't have any liquid water on which to surf.

#3 | Posted by REDIAL at 2017-12-30 05:53 PM

@Redial - Oh I know - graduated from Michigan Tech... Last winter there we had a whole string of highs below -20 and wind chills below -50. First time they closed the school in like 80 years. I think it ended up a Federal Disaster area because all the municipal water pipes were bursting up there.

#4 | Posted by GalaxiePete at 2017-12-30 06:10 PM

I grew up just east of Thunder Bay. My sis was there last week and wind chills were pushing -47.

Surfing is not the first thing that comes to mind.

#5 | Posted by REDIAL at 2017-12-30 06:23 PM

Just across the "water"... As for -46 - Yikes - I remember what that is like well. Layers and layers. No exposed skin. I had to walk home with my eyes closed after they canceled classes. I wear contacts and they were literally freezing on my eyes.

#6 | Posted by GalaxiePete at 2017-12-30 06:27 PM

I can deal with cold but I effing hate cold and wind.

#7 | Posted by REDIAL at 2017-12-30 06:42 PM

#8 | Posted by SLBronkowitz at 2017-12-30 10:31 PM

Galaxypete - I lived up in Yoop-land for a whole year while my company built a paper mill in Quinnesec (next to Iron Mtn.). I spent a good amount of my time on the various lakes and rivers there, fishing. I liked the Yoopers. They reminded me of my native Alabamians back before all the northern businesses moved south.

#9 | Posted by kudzu at 2017-12-31 09:31 AM

Great thread, Pete! Yoopers are definitely different.

#10 | Posted by JeffJ at 2018-01-01 05:25 PM

we swam across the portage canal while at Tech - in the middle of Febuary....NOT

I couldn't stand more than 5 minutes of Gitche Gumee water in september on K day - even w/all day drunken courage builder session.

is "another on bites the dust" still played throughout the dorms for chem exams? or has that been banned to not trigger the SJWs?

#11 | Posted by mutant at 2018-01-01 05:54 PM

they closed MTU in the 1990s for extreme cold for one day. I ventured** out to buy beer just to see what is was like - had to keep ducking into the buildings on the way for you know - extreme exposure and stuff..

**"Ventures", the name of the university business incubator - even up in the UP you have people in power ripping off the system. I recall the local school paper, the Lode, breaking this story wide open and not making nice with the administration. Good times!

#12 | Posted by mutant at 2018-01-01 06:00 PM

@Mutant - I would have sworn it was 2 days... It was 94 mid January I believe. My last year. I lived on Garnet by Lot 21. Just a meezly 7ish blocks from most of my classes but it didn't matter.

Swimming in the Portage was doable in the summer - more than one late night trip down to the water for a dip. But even in late summer there was nowhere near Houghton to go into Superior for more than a couple minutes not to mention K-Day. If you went down to Ontanogon the water was shallow enough to get warm enough...

#13 | Posted by GalaxiePete at 2018-01-02 06:12 PM

Yoopers are definitely different.

#10 | Posted by JeffJ

I totally agree. They are a different breed. Nice people too if they didn't see you as a "student". A lot of locals had issues with students... I spent a lot of summers in the UP. Most more toward Caspian and Crystal Falls.

#14 | Posted by GalaxiePete at 2018-01-02 06:15 PM

Drudge Retort Headlines

School Shooting in Maryland (87 comments)

Fox Commentator Quits 'Propaganda Machine' (57 comments)

Fifth Explosion in Texas as Serial Bomber Hunted (47 comments)

Facebook Explains (44 comments)

20,000 Republicans Just Voted for an Actual Nazi (42 comments)

Next Russian Attack Will Be Far Worse Than Bots and Trolls (41 comments)

Austin Bombing Suspect Dies in Detonation (39 comments)

Trump Congratulates Putin (39 comments)