Saturday, December 30, 2017

Women Less Likely to Trust Science

The "vast majority" of people commenting, sharing and liking anti-vaccination information on Facebook are women, a new study finds. Researchers dug into the world of anti-vaccination people -- better known as anti-vaxxers -- by looking at data from six of the largest, public anti-vaxxer pages on Facebook. By analyzing two years' worth of data from these pages, the researchers determined that these communities are extremely active, negative in tone and primarily female.

Comments

Does this make anti-vaxxers a feminist movement?

#1 | Posted by Tor at 2017-12-30 03:40 PM

No, they strike me more as "being a mommy is the hardest job in the world" self-congratulating idiot movement.

#2 | Posted by jpw at 2017-12-30 04:05 PM

@JPW

Ironically I think that by definition has to be considered a branch of feminism.

#3 | Posted by Tor at 2017-12-30 04:58 PM

The title doesn't necessarily follow from the data.

Also, would you not expect women to post more on all issues related to children?

#4 | Posted by BruceBanner at 2017-12-30 05:13 PM

I had not realized Visitor's climate change denying ass is female.

#5 | Posted by snoofy at 2017-12-30 05:23 PM

I didn't know I was a 'denier'.

#6 | Posted by visitor_ at 2017-12-30 05:30 PM

Bruce adults get vaccinated too.

I know a couple of anti vaxxers (all female) and their kids are high school age and older.

#7 | Posted by Tor at 2017-12-30 06:01 PM

The writer is on to something. I know a few anti-vaxxers, they are all female.

#8 | Posted by SLBronkowitz at 2017-12-30 10:42 PM

As a dad, I regret vaccinating my kids now that they are teenagers.

#9 | Posted by bored at 2017-12-31 02:33 PM

#7 yes. I have little ones and my mind jumped to their recent appointments but forgot about my own flu shot.

#10 | Posted by BruceBanner at 2018-01-01 02:23 PM

@ Bruce it's amazing how quickly adults come to think of children ahead of themselves.

I recently few between cities and hit some nasty turbulence.

Because I was seated next to a child I refused to show any worry for the plane.

After all why should the kid suffer?

#11 | Posted by Tor at 2018-01-01 06:21 PM

"The title doesn't necessarily follow from the data."

Agreed, but not just in this case. People have gone overboard claiming others don't trust or believe in science because they don't agree with certain political positions, so this is in line with that.

#12 | Posted by sentinel at 2018-01-01 11:50 PM

Science offends the modesty of all real women. With it they feel as if someone wanted to peek under their skin--or even worse, under their dress and finery.

--Friedrich Nietzsche, Beyond Good and Evil, Part IV, Aphorism #127

#13 | Posted by madscientist at 2018-01-02 10:14 AM

Friedrich Nietzsche was in more dire need of a bl☺w j☺b than any white man in history.

--Sigmund Freud, Cigars, Cucumbers, &c

#14 | Posted by madscientist at 2018-01-02 10:25 AM

Drudge Retort Headlines

'I Have a Dream' (204 comments)

Trump Calls DACA 'Probably Dead,' Dodges Blame (37 comments)

Wal-Mart Cutting 12,000 Jobs (30 comments)

All Immigration Was Legal Before 1882 (29 comments)

Laid-Off Carrier Workers Feel Betrayed by Trump (27 comments)

China Demolishes Christian Megachurch (20 comments)

How 'Bout Them Jaguars? (20 comments)

Chelsea Manning Running for Senate (17 comments)

Trump Breaks Trend of Presidential Public Service on MLK Day (15 comments)