Tuesday, November 21, 2017

Singer-Actor David Cassidy Dies

David Cassidy, who came to fame as a '70s teen heartthrob and lead singer on The Partridge Family, has died, according to his publicist Jo-Ann Geffen. He was 67. The singer-actor had recently been admitted to the intensive care unit of a Fort Lauderdale, Florida, area hospital. Cassidy was in critical condition and suffering from organ failure before his death Tuesday, Geffen said. ... In 1970, Cassidy began playing the role of Keith Partridge on the musical sitcom The Partridge Family. His stepmother, [Shirley] Jones, portrayed his mother, a widow with five children. ... The single "I Think I Love You," featuring Cassidy on lead vocals, hit No. 1 on the Billboard charts in 1970 and sold more than 5 million copies. The songs "Doesn't Somebody Want To Be Wanted" and "I'll Meet You Halfway" also cracked the top 10 the next year.

Comments

His songs tended to be corny, cheesy, and sounded so good lol

RIP.

#1 | Posted by Tor at 2017-11-20 04:58 PM

I wanted to be David Cassidy when I was ten.

#MyFirstBromance

#2 | Posted by SheepleSchism at 2017-11-20 05:52 PM

Who is David Cassidy???

#3 | Posted by madbomber at 2017-11-21 04:59 PM

He was diagnosed with dementia three years ago and continued to perform as long as he could. There's something to admire in that, even though he had a lot of troubles with addiction.

It's pretty freaky to look back at his Partridge Family days and see him as an old and infirm man. Time is cruel.

#4 | Posted by rcade at 2017-11-21 10:02 PM

When I was trying to find some decent video of Cassidy songs I discovered this from 1985:

www.youtube.com

About halfway through, George Michael begins singing background vocals (though he isn't seen). Michael was four years into Wham and a bigger star than Cassidy at that point by my guess. His Wikipedia page said he considered Cassidy a big influence on his career. That kind of makes sense in an unexpected way, though Michael far surpassed his career and became a bigger performing talent.

#5 | Posted by rcade at 2017-11-21 10:08 PM

I am sad about this, surprisingly, because I was never a fan. But I still feel real sadness about it.

#6 | Posted by danni at 2017-11-21 10:16 PM

Very true. I thought seeing Susan Dey on LA Law in 1992 was enough of a shock.

#7 | Posted by REDIAL at 2017-11-21 10:17 PM

The death of George Michael did affect me more but I would never want to diminish the importance of the death of David Cassidy. It is important, I do feel loss, it's just not quite as much. Hate me, I don't care, just being honest.

#8 | Posted by danni at 2017-11-21 10:19 PM

Old age ain't no place for sissies

#9 | Posted by truthhurts at 2017-11-21 11:11 PM

65 is the new 45... buh-lieve me!

"... the national "retirement age" of 65 has remained unchanged for 75 years, but the lifespan of the average American has gone up by 16 years."

www.csmonitor.com!

www.youtube.com

Old age does not begin until 74, researchers suggest in a new report

www.telegraph.co.uk

I do, though, find that I appreciate almost anyone older than myself more now. Even David Cassidy. RIP, Bro.

#10 | Posted by Corky at 2017-11-21 11:44 PM

Mrs. Bronkowitz was sad upon hearing of his passing. He was her first preteen crush.

RIP Mr. Cassidy.

#11 | Posted by SLBronkowitz at 2017-11-22 07:40 AM

I always thought of Cassidy as a lightweight musically, probably because of his teen heartthrob status. I was 6 when Partridge Family went off the air and it wasn't a show I liked much.

I did enjoy that his real-life stepmother was his on-screen mother. Shirley Jones is the bomb.

#12 | Posted by rcade at 2017-11-22 12:40 PM

I went to YouTube yesterday and watched videos of David and Shaun Cassidy. They were more famous for the way they looked on Tiger Beat magazine than their singing voices, but they were a big part of my youth and I'm sorry David is gone. It doesn't feel like I'm getting older until the icons of my youth start dropping off. Next Gene Simmons and Paul Stanley will check out, and those WILL be hard days for me.

#13 | Posted by _Gunslinger_ at 2017-11-22 01:37 PM

My wife was a big fan and on hearing of his passing she played her favorite: Point Me In the Direction of Albuquerque www.youtube.com

#14 | Posted by MSgt at 2017-11-23 01:29 PM

Drudge Retort Headlines

'I Have a Dream' (209 comments)

Trump Calls DACA 'Probably Dead,' Dodges Blame (96 comments)

Man Brought to U.S. at Age 10 Deported at 39 (82 comments)

Chelsea Manning Running for Senate (42 comments)

All Immigration Was Legal Before 1882 (37 comments)

Uninsured Rate Rising Under Trumpcare (36 comments)

Cotton, Perdue Keep Lying About Trump's S---hole (31 comments)

Bannon Subpoenaed in Mueller's Russia Investigation (26 comments)

Vet Sues VA over Scalpel Left in Body After Surgery (20 comments)