Sunday, November 19, 2017

NYC subway to use gender-neutral terms during announcements

NEW YORK -- When it comes to the New York City subways, there's no such thing as ladies and gentlemen.

Conductors on subway trains have been told to stop addressing passengers as "ladies and gentlemen" when making announcements about delays, detours or other things, and instead use the gender-neutral terms "passengers," ‘'riders," and "everyone."

The new train announcement scripts are part of an effort by the Metropolitan Transportation Authority to improve communication with passengers frustrated with having to deal with a system troubled with delays, mechanical failures and even derailments. Conductors have also been instructed to give subway riders more information about delays, departing from a longtime practice of making sparse announcements that sometimes obscure the real reason a train isn't moving.

Comments

I don't understand how "ladies and gentlemen" is in any way offensive to the trans community. It's a respectful way to address a group, just like sir or madam. The phrase "ladies and gentlemen" doesn't imply that you must identify as one or the other or neither, it's a term of respect to address an audience. Please explain how this is offensive.

#1 | Posted by gracieamazed at 2017-11-19 09:30 AM

Imagine a gender-neutral (but fashionable) hi-heeled boot stomping your face into the pavement forever. Because that is what's coming. :)

#2 | Posted by HeliumRat at 2017-11-19 09:52 AM

Posted by gracieamazed at 2017-11-19 09:30 AM | Reply

Oh I Totally agree with you.

#3 | Posted by LauraMohr at 2017-11-19 09:56 AM

"Referring to passengers as "passengers" will lead to the downfall of our society."

-- the exact same person

#4 | Posted by MrSilenceDogood at 2017-11-19 09:58 AM

They should simply use the all-in-one pronoun "---------."

Attention ---------: Stand clear of the closing doors, please. This is a Brooklyn-bound Express train. Next stop is Big Dyckman street.

#5 | Posted by madscientist at 2017-11-19 09:59 AM

The world would be as lot more fun is if everyone's middle name was ---------...

#6 | Posted by MrSilenceDogood at 2017-11-19 10:03 AM

#4 "Nazis running people over in their cars = free speech. Just ignore it, they will go away."

I swear to God you come from an alternate dimension. But I just can't imagine of a dimension that stupid....

#7 | Posted by HeliumRat at 2017-11-19 10:05 AM

But I just can't imagine of a dimension that stupid....

#7 | POSTED BY HELIUMRAT

What usually happens here is you post some **** like that and then you get your *** ripped.

Then the next post is you saying "I don't want you ripping my *** like that anymore.."

At least you're smart enough to slink away after an L.

#8 | Posted by MrSilenceDogood at 2017-11-19 10:22 AM

Look, if I want a flame war I'll go to my emotional support pig, snoofy. Having a battle of wits with you would be like dueling an unarmed swordsman. I mean, what is the point of that?

You can't even recognize weird humor. The last fish on this site I actually caught was et_al, on a post about witchcraft and treason working corruption of blood in the constitution. So I'm pretty sure that any joke I make is going to go way over your head.

But on Niburu, we have a saying: "Show me what you got"

Here is a video that will explain it to you: youtu.be

#9 | Posted by HeliumRat at 2017-11-19 10:35 AM

"Having a battle of wits with you would be like dueling an unarmed swordsman." - #9 | Posted by HeliumRat at 2017-11-19 10:35 AM

You've always come across as an unarmed swordsman.

But kudos to you for admitting that about yourself.

#10 | Posted by Hans at 2017-11-19 12:13 PM

"So I'm pretty sure that any joke I make is going to go way over your head."

If your goal was for nobody to take you seriously, consider it met.

#11 | Posted by snoofy at 2017-11-19 02:10 PM

"...instructed to give subway riders more information about delays,"

Translation: "Da shi be broke yo!"

#12 | Posted by HanoverFist at 2017-11-19 03:20 PM

#11 I love you snoofy. Never change.

#13 | Posted by HeliumRat at 2017-11-19 03:37 PM

Drudge Retort Headlines

White House Budget Director: Shutdown 'Kind of Cool' (68 comments)

Oxfam: World's Richest 1% Hoard 82% of the Wealth (50 comments)

Senate Votes to End Shut Down (45 comments)

When Trump's Foreign Policy Luck Runs Out (19 comments)

Opinion: Fix NFL PR Nightmare? Put a Woman in Charge (18 comments)

Patriots vs. Eagles (17 comments)

White House Answering Machine Message Lays Blame (15 comments)

Voters Disapprove of Trump, Doubt His Mental Stability (14 comments)

What Killed the Aztecs? After 500 Years, We May Know (14 comments)