Monday, November 06, 2017

Trump Thinks He's a King

Jonathan Swan, Axios: In late June, President Trump hosted a group of Native American tribal leaders at the White House and urged them to "just do it" and extract whatever they want from the land they control. The exchange turned out to be an unusually vivid window into the almost kingly power that Trump sees himself as holding, and which he has begun describing with increasing bluntness. The scene was recounted by a source in the room and confirmed by another. The White House didn't dispute the story.

The chiefs explained to Trump that there were regulatory barriers preventing them from getting at their energy. Trump replied: "But now it's me. The government's different now. Obama's gone; and we're doing things differently here."

"So what I'm saying is, just do it."

There was a pause in the room and the tribal leaders looked at each other.

"Chief, chief," Trump continued, addressing one of the tribal leaders, "what are they going to do? Once you get it out of the ground are they going to make you put it back in there? I mean, once it's out of the ground it can't go back in there. You've just got to do it. I'm telling you, chief, you've just got to do it."

Comments

This might seem like an extraordinary account for a U.S. president. But it's increasingly the norm: Trump considers himself above the traditions, limits and laws of the presidency -- even when he's not, as in this case -- and this trend is intensifying the longer he's in office.

This past week he claimed sole credit for soaring stock prices.

This past week he publicly moaned about limits on his ability to direct the FBI /Justice Department -- and then went on to bully the department for not investigating "Crooked Hillary & the Dems."

This past week he told Fox's Laura Ingraham "I'm the only one that matters" when it comes to State Department policy and personnel.

#1 | Posted by BruceBanner at 2017-11-05 09:57 PM

Trump considers himself above the traditions, limits and laws of the presidency...

Mostly because he doesn't know anything about any of that stuff.

#2 | Posted by REDIAL at 2017-11-05 10:02 PM

: -- "I do solemnly swear (or affirm) that I will faithfully execute the Office of President of the United States, and will to the best of my Ability, preserve, protect and defend the Constitution of the United States."

#3 | Posted by truthhurts at 2017-11-05 10:51 PM

@#3

So he lied....

It's not like he hasn't lied before and that he hasn't lied afterwards.

#4 | Posted by LampLighter at 2017-11-06 11:39 AM

King Donald!

Dilly, dilly!

#5 | Posted by Corky at 2017-11-06 11:47 AM

Trump is stupid enough to think he's cool for having called Senator Warren Pocahontas.

#6 | Posted by Tor at 2017-11-06 11:48 AM

Ok, so your proof is to bring up examples of Trump doing things every President before him as done and promised. Got it.

#7 | Posted by humtake at 2017-11-06 11:55 AM

Executive orders are a helluva drug, especially for a guy that used to hang out at Studio 54.

#8 | Posted by grumpy_too at 2017-11-06 12:03 PM

#7 | Posted by humtake at 2017

Trump is a pig. He's not president.

#9 | Posted by Zed at 2017-11-06 12:05 PM

Name one time, Humtake.

#10 | Posted by Sully at 2017-11-06 12:10 PM

Police Officers tell their friends and family that all the time, so I'm sure it's true of all of our presidents.

I know that's not your point, but presidents have been running cover for law breaking since the late 1700's

#11 | Posted by 101Chairborne at 2017-11-06 12:20 PM

Other presidents have told people they can just break the law because the pres says so?"

Only time I remember is Richard Nixon when he had his guys break into Democratic National Headquarters, oh and also when Ronald Reagan had his guys make treasonous deal with Iran, oh and when George H.W. Bush had his CIA import cocain into L.A. to finance fighters in Nicaragua, or when George W. Bush lied about WMDs in Iraq to justify an illegal war. Aren't you glad you asked Humtake?

#12 | Posted by danni at 2017-11-06 12:21 PM

Re #11 - maybe it's just a matter of appearances but I don't remember any president proactively telling people to break the law in public

#13 | Posted by Sully at 2017-11-06 12:24 PM

It's not that Trump thinks he's a king. He thinks president and king are the same thing. He (and most of the GOP) do not understand the difference between governing and ruling. They think The connection between government and the people ends at the ballot box on election day. They don't understand the fundamental concept that legislators are there not as the leaders of the people but as the representative of the people.

#14 | Posted by hatter5183 at 2017-11-06 12:55 PM

Republicans accused Obama of being a dictator, meanwhile, they elected and support a man who sees himself a dictator.

#15 | Posted by klifferd at 2017-11-06 01:28 PM

#15 | Posted by klifferd at 2017-11

And whom many of them would allow to be dictator, bullet finally hitting bone. Waving the flag the entire time.

Of course, to be fair, if the forces of democracy seemed to be winning, they'd be for democracy.

#16 | Posted by Zed at 2017-11-06 01:44 PM

"Republicans accused Obama of being a black dictator, meanwhile, they elected and support a man who sees himself a white dictator."

FTFY

#17 | Posted by danni at 2017-11-06 04:21 PM

LOL!! Just like Caligula.

#18 | Posted by lfthndthrds at 2017-11-06 05:40 PM

How many have had a boss who said, "I know what I am asking you to do is against the law but it's ok cause I won't tell anybody what you did"? I know I have. I also know that if the law came knocking he would have thrown me under any number of busses which would be easy since he had not been dumb enough to do the deed himself.

I was not dumb enough either.

#19 | Posted by techres at 2017-11-07 08:17 AM

i think we may be giving too much credence to the thought that Trumpf in fact thinks ... how much do dotards think anyhow? or "where's your crown king nuthin' ?"

#20 | Posted by b_al at 2017-11-07 10:23 AM

"How many have had a boss who said, "I know what I am asking you to do is against the law but it's ok cause I won't tell anybody what you did"? I know I have."

Yep.

#21 | Posted by danni at 2017-11-07 10:28 AM

I can't wait until the next article..."Trump swims in the ocean so he thinks he's a fish". Journalism has become so dumbed down.

Every President we have to deal with this. Trump is full of himself. Obama's supporters were full of themselves (once they found out Obama wasn't the Messiah they had to make up for it somehow). And on and on. Groundhog's Day at its finest.

#22 | Posted by humtake at 2017-11-07 12:05 PM

Yeah, comparing Obama to Trump is a valid comparison. Hahahahahahahaha!

#23 | Posted by danni at 2017-11-07 12:21 PM

Trump is full of himself

#22 | Posted by humtake

Donald Trump is delusional. You can --------- around it all you like, but the man has serious mental health issues, one of which he DOES think and act as if he were someone's king. That is, if your king is an ill-mannered lout.

#24 | Posted by Zed at 2017-11-07 12:27 PM

Drudge Retort Headlines

Oxfam: World's Richest 1% Hoard 82% of the Wealth (161 comments)

Man Arrested in Threat Against CNN Employees (150 comments)

Senate Votes to End Shut Down (75 comments)

Russian Bots Blame Schumer For Shutdown (44 comments)

Blue States Are the Engine Driving Job Gains (37 comments)

China Winning in Scientific Productivity (32 comments)

Doctor Living in U.S. Since Age 5 Faces Deportation (23 comments)

Senators Used Talking Stick During Bipartisan Budget Talks (23 comments)