Saturday, October 28, 2017

NFL Owner Compares Players to Prison Inmates

Deadspin: Houston Texans owner Bob McNair compared NFL players, who are employees and free men, to prison inmates during last week's league meetings. (The exact wording, as McNair argued for banning players from protesting during the anthem: "We can't have the inmates running the prison.") According to various reports, the Texans players -- including star receiver DeAndre Hopkins -- are pissed.

Comments

We are getting way too sensitive in this society.

#1 | Posted by boaz at 2017-10-27 03:56 PM

inmates run the prison, inmates run the asylum... etc...

Anyone trying to claim they've never heard an analogy along these lines, especially the two above I'll claim an outright liar or horrifically unaware of how language is used around them.

#2 | Posted by kwrx25 at 2017-10-27 04:24 PM

#2 Likewise, when the thing the inmates are doing that cheeses off the franchise owner is protesting the way blacks are treated by police, you'd have to be horrifically unaware to call them inmates.

#3 | Posted by snoofy at 2017-10-27 04:30 PM

I predict civil war within 48 months.

#4 | Posted by SheepleSchism at 2017-10-27 04:53 PM

Gun sellers appreciate your hyperbolic prediction.

#5 | Posted by snoofy at 2017-10-27 05:08 PM

I wish republicans would get it over with and start referring to all pro athletes as "Toby."

"You will stand for the anthem, Toby!"

CRACK!

#6 | Posted by MrSilenceDogood at 2017-10-27 06:34 PM

Much a do about nothing and I was an actual inmate in a past life.

#8 | Posted by LauraMohr at 2017-10-27 07:11 PM

The Smiths--"Barbarism Begins at Home"

A crack on the head is what you get for not asking, and
A crack on the head is what you get for asking...

#9 | Posted by madscientist at 2017-10-27 07:37 PM

Wow! People are trying too hard to be insulted. This is a common phrase that is pretty widely used.

#10 | Posted by MBlue at 2017-10-28 07:43 AM

"You WILL stand for the anthem, TOBY!"

#11 | Posted by MrSilenceDogood at 2017-10-28 07:52 AM

Or patients running the asylum. Yada, yada, yada.

#12 | Posted by gracieamazed at 2017-10-28 08:05 AM

youtu.be

Stand for it, TOBY!

#13 | Posted by MrSilenceDogood at 2017-10-28 08:24 AM

This is a common phrase that is pretty widely used.

Just because something is common doesn't make it any less tasteless to say. The NFL has a lot of black athletes. Those who protested have been insulted by a lot of Trump's mindless minions. An NFL team owner calling his players prison inmates as a metaphor is a good way to lose the support of his team. Especially since the anthem controversy is supposed to be about respect. Respect goes both ways.

#14 | Posted by rcade at 2017-10-28 09:16 AM

If it wasnt for football most of them probably would be inmates.
Look how they treat their wives/girlfriends/babymommas.

#15 | Posted by HanoverFist at 2017-10-28 09:21 AM

If it wasnt for football most of them probably would be inmates.
Look how they treat their wives/girlfriends/babymommas.

#15 | POSTED BY HANOVERFIST AT

Anyone who thinks this way has never won at ANYTHING in their life.

#16 | Posted by MrSilenceDogood at 2017-10-28 09:23 AM

#15s life IS a participation trophy.

#17 | Posted by MrSilenceDogood at 2017-10-28 09:24 AM

"I predict civil war within 48 months."

But then you are psychotic so your prediction is just nonsense.

#18 | Posted by danni at 2017-10-28 09:30 AM

I agree it was in poor taste. Should it mean anything? That's up to this owner. If he apologizes to his players....not the media but his players then that will put this to bed.

But I suspect owners look at their payroll and feel as if they "respect" their players just fine. But no matter how much you pay a player, there is still a respect factor.

Think about the hypocrisy of this. Owners are up in arms over the lack of respect towards the flag......but feel as if they can talk about their players that way?

Can't have it both ways.

#19 | Posted by eberly at 2017-10-28 09:30 AM

Kaepernick's girlfriend, among others, called NFL owners "slavemasters". Some people can dish it out, but can't take it.

#20 | Posted by nullifidian at 2017-10-28 09:35 AM

If it wasnt for football most of them probably would be inmates.

The NFL has 1,696 players and probably 50,000+ former players still around. Any pool that large is going to have a few criminals in it.

But overall these athletes are in the top 1 percent of the top 1 percent of their profession. That takes the kind of commitment, drive and character that makes them less likely than the general public to commit a crime.

Here's a criminologist who backs that up over a 14-year period:

www.utdallas.edu

#21 | Posted by rcade at 2017-10-28 09:36 AM

16 17
Well now we know who thinks domestic violence is cool.

#22 | Posted by HanoverFist at 2017-10-28 09:52 AM

No less than 25,001 current and former NFL players -- but possibly more -- would be in prison without the NFL.

#22 | POSTED BY HANOVERFIST AT

Fixed.

Shine it up any way you want ***hole, you're a racist.

#15 proves it.

#23 | Posted by MrSilenceDogood at 2017-10-28 10:09 AM

... "We can't have the inmates running the prison." ...

The phrasing used could have been better. [understatement on my part]

However, I've held the opinion from the beginning of the NFL protests that the NFL is a business. If the business wants to allow or not allow political protests on business premises, that is up to the business owner to decide and enforce.

The business of the NFL is attracting a paying audience to witness something akin to cage fighting. If the NFL decides to not allow political protests on company time because it affects its business goals, then that is up to the NFL to do so.

But to compare a company's employees to inmates, well, that is just brain-dead. But it does give one an idea of the type of person who is a NFL team owner.

#24 | Posted by LampLighter at 2017-10-28 11:08 AM

First of all, it wasn't a comparison, apples to apples, it was a saying.

Anyone who was offended by this is what's wrong with liberalism.

#25 | Posted by boaz at 2017-10-28 11:32 AM

I guess we should be thankful he didn't say, We can't have the slaves running the plantation. However, in light of the fact that taking the knee is done in protest over police brutality and the shootings of unarmed blacks, the reference to inmates and prisons is not only in poor taste, it is also tone deaf to what the kneelers consider to be at stake.

#26 | Posted by Gal_Tuesday at 2017-10-28 11:46 AM

@#25 ... it was a saying ...

Yup, it is a saying.

But that he chose to use that one saying, instead of one of many other similar analogies, is informative of his mindset towards the players on his team.

I wasn't offended, indeed, it told me more about the mindset of the team owner. I don't get offended when I learn something.

#27 | Posted by LampLighter at 2017-10-28 11:53 AM

#2 | POSTED BY KWRX25 AT 2017-10-27 04:24 PM | FLAG:

So what? A metaphor can still be offensive or in poor taste. Athletes are criticized all the time for making bad metaphors. Players have been blasted for referring to themselves as "warriors". And they are definitely blasted every time they make a "plantation" reference. Comparing the relationship between player and owner should offensive to players. Players are the reason people show up to watch games. And it can't be just any players. It has to be the best players in the world. And the players are the ones putting their health on the line. If another league was signing these players the NFL would go under. On the other hand, nobody gives a crap who owns their team so long as the guy isn't obviously counter productive. And the owners would not be famous but for their association with these players.

Nobody gets a free pass just because they used an analogy. That has never been true about anyone.

Also, if you were being honest you would admit that the common phrase is "inmates running the asylum" and "inmates running the prison" is not a commonly used phrase at all.

#28 | Posted by Sully at 2017-10-28 02:07 PM

"If the business wants to allow or not allow political protests on business premises, that is up to the business owner to decide and enforce."

True, but be fair. A business should also not be forcing its employees to engage in political statements or forced acts of patriotism. You can't protest at work. Your employer also can't make you stand and salute the flag at work.

#29 | Posted by Sully at 2017-10-28 02:09 PM

--you would admit that the common phrase is "inmates running the asylum" and "inmates running the prison" is not a commonly used phrase at all.

I've heard it hundreds of times in the last 50 years by people, in movies, tv, literature, etc.

#30 | Posted by nullifidian at 2017-10-28 02:14 PM

#30 | POSTED BY NULLIFIDIAN AT 2017-10-28 02:14 PM | FLAG:

And either way it was as stupid analogy. We're talking about people who have a very rare skill set and who put their health on the line doing their job. The NFL is only the NFL because it sings THESE players. It is not a typical employer-employee relationship and people who pretend that it is are either dishonest or horribly informed. The same ----- who tend to defend CEOs getting to decide their own pay are the same ones who tend to bitch about pro athletes being "spoiled" when the truth is that pro athletes have a much more rare skill set and are much more crucial to their industry than the typical CEO is.

#31 | Posted by Sully at 2017-10-28 02:23 PM

#21 How dare yo interfere with white group think.

Next meeting you gonna get kicked out.

#32 | Posted by fresno500 at 2017-10-28 03:22 PM

"Well I'm in my 40's and if I've ever heard anyone say "prison" rather than "asylum", I can't remember when."

Same.

#33 | Posted by snoofy at 2017-10-28 03:31 PM

I never heard inmates running the prison either. Go to google and type in "inmates running the asylum" then type in "inmates running the person" and note the difference in the responses.

#34 | Posted by Gal_Tuesday at 2017-10-28 03:32 PM

@#34 ... "inmates running the asylum"...

Fun Boy Three...
www.youtube.com

(the comments on youtube are interesting....)

#35 | Posted by LampLighter at 2017-10-28 03:43 PM

@#29

Agreed.

#36 | Posted by LampLighter at 2017-10-28 09:46 PM

Same.

Well, I'm in my 40's as well and I have heard the saying.

#37 | Posted by boaz at 2017-10-29 12:57 AM

#37 | Posted by boaz

Liar.

#38 | Posted by Angrydad at 2017-10-29 12:48 PM

May not have been too inappropriate a remark when considering:

NFL Player Arrests
www.usatoday.com

Jes' Sayin' ;)

#39 | Posted by MSgt at 2017-10-29 04:18 PM

I'm not totally up to speed so someone help me out here. What is the city where the Snowflakes play their home games?

#40 | Posted by danni at 2017-10-29 04:38 PM

Rcade, I find it amazing that you immediately jump to pointing out how awful it is that a team owner used an analogy about inmates in reference to NFL players. Stunned Gasp!!!! He said inmates, and you know ....there were black people around....

Sounds like someone would fill in the ninjas are to Asians like inmates are to? Pretty quickly with an answer that I wouldn't.

#41 | Posted by kwrx25 at 2017-10-29 04:59 PM

This is an easy game to play. Find me 3 quotes in movies, film, TV or print that the term, "Inmates running the prison," is used. I imagine that, since the phrase is so common, you'll have a really easy time.

I won't hold my breath, because not-liberals are habitual liars, and live in fantasyland.

The lunatics have taken over the asylum indeed.

BTW, almost the entire Texans team took a knee during the anthem today. Eat that sammich.

#42 | Posted by chuffy at 2017-10-30 12:49 AM

Well his team got beat my team in the final seconds, so neener neener! :)

#43 | Posted by aborted_monson at 2017-10-30 03:04 AM

Drudge Retort Headlines

Shutdown (153 comments)

Trump Tweet Blows Up GOP Strategy to Avoid Shutdown (61 comments)

Feds Plot Massive NoCal Immigration Sweep (39 comments)

World's Belief in U.S. Leadership Hits New Low (37 comments)

Bannon Thinks He Can Defy Congress (37 comments)

There Are 3.6 Million Dreamers (30 comments)

Obama Returning to Politics in 2018 (24 comments)

Senate Advances Judicial Pick Hostile to Black Voting Rights (22 comments)