Republicans are the living embodiment of the empathy gap.
That seems a bit one-sided to me. I'm calling out your post as hypocritical. Let's consider some (stereotypical) liberal empathy gaps:
* Not empathetic to the low/semi-skilled Americans who have to compete with illegal immigrants for jobs. (Guess what happens to wages in these jobs when worker supply goes up, assuming an American could even find a job in the first place?)
* Not empathetic to religious American's religious liberty and right to not have parenting interrupted by the state (secretive birth control of teens; school lessons which seek to normalize sinful behaviors, etc.)
* Not sympathetic to the plight of fatherless children, partially thanks to a welfare system that makes single-parenting and having children out of wedlock more palatable.
* Not sympathetic to aborted babies. I mean seriously, a baby goes from being a worthless piece of (torturable) medical waste, to a fully valuable human, simply by moving through a birth canal?
* Not sympathetic to the victims of redistributive tax policies. Seriously, I'm paying ~35% effective taxes to pay for others' sex changes???