Monday, May 15, 2017

"If I had the power, I'd say: If you're a Trump supporter, don't come to my show, because you won't have a good time. And also, I don't understand your frickin' values. Because I'm not singing about that. If you don't understand that basic thing, you're just fooling yourself. I guarantee that in this show, if you're a Trump supporter, you will likely be offended. Let the buyer beware! I mean, if you can't take a joke, or you can't admit that you've made a mistake, you don't belong with the rest of us." -- Todd Rundgren

Comments

Big brush, narrow shoulders and tiny hands

#1 | Posted by ChiefTutMoses at 2017-05-15 11:33 AM | Reply

It reminds me of what Frank Zappa said, 'this show is about love, and if you ain't about love, this show will only bring you down.'

#2 | Posted by kudzu at 2017-05-15 11:56 AM | Reply

I can only assume boaz was trying to make this a "wash" for elected republicans refusing democrats into their twitt halls.

Cause being elected to represent America is the same as being an entertainer

#3 | Posted by ChiefTutMoses at 2017-05-15 12:08 PM | Reply

What are the odds that anyone who is upset about this said a single word of criticism of Ted Nugent for the many vile comments he's made about Hillary?

#4 | Posted by rcade at 2017-05-15 01:49 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 2

Todd Rundgren didn't really go out on a limb though. How many Trump fans dig his music?

I had his greatest hits CD while stationed in the Sinai, and I played it so much that over 20 years later I still am "sick" of Todd rundgren even though I still "like" him...
I haven't had a Heineken since that deployment either.

#5 | Posted by 101Chairborne at 2017-05-15 02:20 PM | Reply

"I don't understand why an entertainer wants their political views known, regardless of what they are. "

Music and Politics have gone hand in hand in America for at least 100 years, if not longer. Folk Music's main influence on rock and roll was the political aspect of the lyrics.

And if Politicians can act like entertainers than entertainers can act like politicians for all I care.

#6 | Posted by pumpkinhead at 2017-05-15 02:44 PM | Reply

Isn't Rundgren in the "where are they now file"?

#7 | Posted by fishpaw at 2017-05-15 02:49 PM | Reply

Who the hell is Todd Rundgren? Some singer? Oh Hum, getting you political orientation from a entertainer is like having a dentist do your taxes. I haven't been to a concert sense 1988, Moody Blues, Dallas.

#8 | Posted by docnjo at 2017-05-15 03:06 PM | Reply | Funny: 1

who ?....oh okay

not gonna be a problem bud...

#9 | Posted by afkabl2 at 2017-05-15 03:08 PM | Reply

Isn't Rundgren in the "where are they now file"?

#7 | Posted by fishpaw

Right next to every republican in showbiz.

Ted Nugent. Kid Rock. Dennis Miller. Victoria Jackson. Scott Baio.

If your career crashes hard enough, just whine about obama and praise trump and you can make a good living on fox news.

#10 | Posted by SpeakSoftly at 2017-05-15 03:21 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 2

Speaks,

Not sure I'd put Kid Rock on that list.

#11 | Posted by JeffJ at 2017-05-15 03:23 PM | Reply

I'm sort of embarrassed, I had to Google him. No worries Todd, my money is safe from you.

#12 | Posted by gracieamazed at 2017-05-15 03:28 PM | Reply

"No worries Todd, my money is safe from you."

It's been said before, but I'll say it again--

Trump is a smart guy...

He's a smart guy because he knows exactly what the stupid people in this country want in a president.

#13 | Posted by pumpkinhead at 2017-05-15 03:35 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

#13 Why would I pay to hear someone I never heard of who mocks the POTUS? Stupid people blindly spend money on whatever their talking point e mails tell them to. I choose to spend mine on what I like. I love Tom Jones. He could sing on stage with President Obama backdrops as long as he sang and STFU about his political views, whatever they are and I would pay to hear him sing, because I like his voice. Can you understand the difference or do you need some time finding someone to help you understand the difference? Bless your heart.

#14 | Posted by gracieamazed at 2017-05-15 03:44 PM | Reply | Funny: 1

Better not perform in West Virginia. Political Affiliation can be a hate crime.

#15 | Posted by Petrous at 2017-05-15 03:49 PM | Reply

#13 Why would I pay to hear someone I never heard of who mocks the POTUS?
#14 | Posted by gracieamazed

You VOTED for someone who mocks the potus.

Suddenly you have ethics?

#16 | Posted by SpeakSoftly at 2017-05-15 03:49 PM | Reply

He can say what he wants that is not the issue at all. I don't have to buy his concert tickets. And I won't. Easy peasy.

#17 | Posted by gracieamazed at 2017-05-15 03:50 PM | Reply

Because it actually normally works to their benefit. How many Alt-Righters would like Nugent if he wasn't such a vocal schmuck. I understood when it was hunting then he went full whack job - and he wants us to believe he didn't/doesn't do drugs... LMAO - he needs some meds.

I remember the 80s/90s with the PMRC and the Washington Wives (Tipper Gore, Susan Baker, Pam Howar, etc.)- if nothing that stupid sticker helped sell albums. The "Filthy 15" list - LoL. Did it make sense for groups to make themselves PMRC targets? If you note back then it was a "bipartisan" effort - And Tipper Gore was seen as the "ring leader". So note to "conservatives" - Liberals have "family values" as well. Maybe that's what I find most funny - a "liberal" is the ring leader of the most prominent family values effort of the time. I knew people who would get tapes and albums just because of that stupid sticker. Then you have acts like Megadeth, Ice T, Eminem and Danzig calling them out in lyrics.

#18 | Posted by GalaxiePete at 2017-05-15 04:01 PM | Reply

"He could sing on stage with President Obama backdrops as long as he sang and STFU about his political views"

I don't put preconditions on my favorite singers or musicians. They are not my whores and I am not their pimp.

If they like Trump that's fine-- if they are making a logical argument for supporting him, I'll listen. But so far, the only people who have made a logical argument for supporting Trump --explaining that he would usher in a more non-interventionist foreign policy-- did so only before he was elected (and soon after) but are now faced with the fact that he hasn't and will not. Their mea culpas are in earnest and easily acceptable.

The rest of the Trump supporters are incoherent buffoons. They lack any logical reason for supporting the dweeb. Either it is for strictly partisan reasons or they have some sort of deluded notion that Trump somehow represents a whiter, more judeo-christian, less entitlement-based country.

#19 | Posted by pumpkinhead at 2017-05-15 04:11 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 3

Why shouldn't they talk politics? We just elected a reality TV entertainer.

#20 | Posted by rcade at 2017-05-15 04:31 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 6

for their own reasons. I suspect most of the time it's because they believe it will help their popularity or launch another career for them. Not saying that's the case with this guy....I don't know anything about him.

Let 'em.....who cares if they want to spout their political views?

"We just elected a reality TV entertainer."

Yes...one that bothered to actually run for president.

#21 | Posted by eberly at 2017-05-15 04:53 PM | Reply

#17 | Posted by gracieamazed

I think voting for someone to be president is a bigger sign of support than buying a ticket to their concert.

You wont go to the concert of someone because they don't respect a moronic president, but you'll vote for a moron who doesn't respect an intelligent president.

#22 | Posted by SpeakSoftly at 2017-05-15 06:00 PM | Reply

A man who stands on principal, money be damned.

He deserves your respect, Boaz.

He's a bigger man than you'll ever be, and a helluva a lot wealthier.

#23 | Posted by Angrydad at 2017-05-15 11:04 PM | Reply

#8 | Posted by docnjo

That's just effin' pathetic.

LOL!

#24 | Posted by Angrydad at 2017-05-15 11:08 PM | Reply

A man who stands on principal, money be damned.
He deserves your respect, Boaz.
He's a bigger man than you'll ever be, and a helluva a lot wealthier.
#23 | Posted by Angrydad

He doesn't deserve my respect, that has to be earned. And telling someone not to come to his concerts because of political views doesn't earn my respect. I wouldn't go to any of his concerts anyway.

I didn't know who he was and I still don't. I don't need to.

It's just when he uses his stupid opinions to try to craft policy that affects me where I have the problem.

#25 | Posted by boaz at 2017-05-16 08:43 AM | Reply | Funny: 1

He's more of a second tier talent who had alot of more talented friends than a true rock star. Could argue that he's a better producer than performer.

I don't find what he said offensive but I have to laugh a little at his apparent belief that anyone would feel properly scolded by being told to stay away from a Todd Rundgren show in 2017.

#26 | Posted by Sully at 2017-05-16 09:12 AM | Reply | Newsworthy 2

#10 Dennis Miller is a crying shame.

He had so much potential.

I use to TRY to write like he talked.

#27 | Posted by fresno500 at 2017-05-16 07:34 PM | Reply