Monday, May 15, 2017

Pajiba: Actor Powers Boothe, 68, he of velvet voice, majestic mustache, and starring role in most of your favorite things, passed away on Sunday. Boothe died at home in Los Angeles, in his sleep, of natural causes. ... Whether it was his memorable turns in Tombstone or Deadwood -- in both of which he proved himself one of the all-time most natural people to ever play a role in a Western -- or his smaller roles in Oliver Stone's U Turn, Bill Paxton's Frailty, or Robert Rodriguez's Sin City -- Boothe's powerful presence was always felt.

Comments

His was a wonderful talent.
Bye.

#1 | Posted by Doc_Sarvis at 2017-05-15 08:11 AM | Reply

When acting, Powers had super powers. Everything I saw him in he seemed awesome. I remember finding an old VHS tape of him as Philip Marlowe-- and that was the one that stuck with me the most. That and this amazing ending scene from one of my all-time favorite 2 AM 1980s movies, the movie Southern Comfort:

www.youtube.com

#2 | Posted by pumpkinhead at 2017-05-15 09:38 AM | Reply

Southern Comfort was where I first saw him too Pumpkinhead, and with Ry Cooder's soundtrack, great movie.

Tombstone, Deadwood, Guyana Tragedy: The Story of Jim Jones, some pretty fine work there.

#3 | Posted by tontonmacoute at 2017-05-15 11:55 AM | Reply

He had range. Corrupt politician boss in Sin City. Bandito in Tombstone. FBI section chief in Frailty. He was always more of a supporting actor though than the star. Also, I liked his name. Powers. It sounds so... powerful.

#4 | Posted by moder8 at 2017-05-15 12:34 PM | Reply

The two Powers Boothe roles I remember best are his performance as cult leader Jim Jones in the TV movie that won him an Emmy and Extreme Prejudice, a 1987 movie directed by Walter Hill in which Boothe and Nick Nolte play childhood friends who grew up to be a Texas Ranger and a drug kingpin.

I went to see that movie in Arlington, Texas, after being dumped in college. The theater was practically deserted. It was a total lonely guy move and the girl was doing a number on my brain, but the movie was awesome.

Boothe played characters of great intensity exceptionally well.

#5 | Posted by rcade at 2017-05-15 01:05 PM | Reply

How good were the scenes in Deadwood with Powers Boothe and Ian McShane squaring off?

#6 | Posted by schifferbrains at 2017-05-15 03:07 PM | Reply

Shakespearean, in a sense

#7 | Posted by Doc_Sarvis at 2017-05-15 03:33 PM | Reply

Deadwood...

His best work as far as I'm concerned.

...meanwhile the sheriff was pickling his ----- in the --------- of another...

Classic.

#8 | Posted by Jay at 2017-05-15 07:56 PM | Reply

simply awful.

RIP Buddy.

One of the last manly men...

sad.