Sunday, April 23, 2017

An alcohol-fueled obscenity and racial slur-laced tirade have cost a Miami senator his job. CBS Miami reports Republican Sen. Frank Artiles officially submitted his letter of resignation on Friday. Artiles was chastised for using a form of the "n-word" during an exchange with two African-American colleagues Monday night. It happened when he was out with fellow Senators Audrey Gibson from Jacksonville and Perry Thurston from Fort Lauderdale. Gibson and Thurston said he used the word while describing senators who supported Senate President Joe Negron's rise to power. He also reportedly called Gibson a "bitch." Artiles apologized on the Senate floor on Wednesday saying his intention in using those words were benign.

Comments

Wow. People can lose jobs over talking.

And we wonder why people don't say what they really feel.

I would rather this guy be outwardly racist, and we know it, than for him to hide it like Democrats do. People are too measured in their comments and that reflects itself in our elected officials.

#1 | Posted by boaz at 2017-04-21 01:52 PM | Reply | Funny: 1

#1 - it's not the speech, it's the content.

If I'm someone's boss, and they start this crap, they are gone, fired, period, end of story.

It's not because of racism or feminism or bigotry, it's because of HATRED coming from someone who should know better. Plus, the hatred is coming from a person who is supposed to have the public's trust.

I know you can understand this.

#2 | Posted by kudzu at 2017-04-21 01:57 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 2

I understand what you are saying, of course.

But when I'm in private company and I say something, especially if I'm not on the clock or on my jobs premise, I shouldn't be fired for saying my opinion, I don't give a f$ck what I say. And I don't understand why this guy was hanging around with people like that. I don't hang with people I have to walk around on egg shells with...

#3 | Posted by boaz at 2017-04-21 02:28 PM | Reply

I know right. You wouldn't believe the looks I get when I cheer for ISIS at the base bar. It is a free country.

#4 | Posted by bored at 2017-04-21 02:54 PM | Reply | Funny: 1

Without being there it's hard to judge, I once said n!&&@ please to a black guy at work, I could have been fired but it was pretty obviously a joke as he was bragging about being the best salesperson there. He nor anyone else there complained because the context and tone.

It sounds like this guy was ranting in anger which is very different than had they been joking around and he said the same thing. Most people I have run into in life can tell the difference and are not such special snowflakes that they would have an issue with joking.

#5 | Posted by TaoWarrior at 2017-04-21 03:30 PM | Reply

#3 | Posted by boaz

Melissa Click appreciates your support.

#6 | Posted by truthhurts at 2017-04-21 03:37 PM | Reply

Wow. People can lose jobs over talking.

#1 | POSTED BY BOAZ

He resigned because he admitted he was responsible for embarrassing his fellow lawmakers, family and friends. Maybe you should criticize ex-Senator Snowflake.

Funny how you stewards of free speech have no problem with someone going on a drunken, racist tirade, yet you don't believe anyone else should be able to say anything about it. You don't find that a bit hypocritical?

#7 | Posted by Derek_Wildstar at 2017-04-21 04:03 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

Sure, say something about it, but he shouldn't have lost his job over it.

Liberals have gotten to the point they want to see someone destroyed just for the smallest infraction.

#8 | Posted by boaz at 2017-04-21 04:24 PM | Reply

, "say something about it, but he shouldn't have lost his job over it."

should nobody ever lose their job over it?

#9 | Posted by eberly at 2017-04-21 04:26 PM | Reply

I would rather this guy be outwardly racist, and we know it than for him to hide it
#1 | POSTED BY BOAZ

Not me, I prefer they keep their offensive thoughts to themselves and outwardly treat everyone with respect.

Being measured in your speech in a professional, or even personal, setting is called tact and manners.

#10 | Posted by TFDNihilist at 2017-04-21 04:59 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

"I don't hang with people I have to walk around on egg shells with..."

Worried they might grab you by the -----?

#11 | Posted by snoofy at 2017-04-21 05:08 PM | Reply | Funny: 1

Sure, say something about it, but he shouldn't have lost his job over it.

#8 | POSTED BY BOAZ

He chose to resign. I guess he couldn't handle all the free speech his colleagues were offering him.

#12 | Posted by Derek_Wildstar at 2017-04-21 05:54 PM | Reply

Free speech has consequences.

#13 | Posted by ChiefTutMoses at 2017-04-21 06:26 PM | Reply

Racist Florida ex-senator hired Hooter's ‘calendar girl' and Playboy model as campaign ‘consultants'

It wasn't simply the racial slur Florida state Sen. Frank Artiles used that lead to his downfall. Apparently, the new Republican lawmaker employed a Hooters "calendar girl" and a Playboy model as "consultants."

The Miami Herald reported Friday that the list of expenditures for Artiles' show the two women were hired as political "consultants" despite having no previous political experience. The Herald wondered if the payments had anything to do with a trip to the Kentucky Derby or a fishing tournament that took place in Key West.

Heather Thomas, the former Hooters' calendar model and server was paid $2,000 between March and June 2016. Brittney Singletary, a server at Stetsons on the Moon in Tallahassee was paid $1,500 with three checks in the same dates. Both women were listed as "consultants."

Another woman involved was Hooters' server Taylor Lockwood who said she was volunteering for Republican state Rep. Bryan Avila. She announced her internship via Facebook and while celebrating her graduation from college and upcoming semester in graduate school.

"New-found connections have given me the tools to purse my dream and have someone invest in my future because they see my potential is the best motivation to make it happen," she wrote.

She then posted an Instagram selfie standing in front of a private plane with the caption "Lifestyles of the rich and famous. Heading to Key West in style. #thanksfrank."

RawStory

Free speech!

#14 | Posted by Derek_Wildstar at 2017-04-21 08:00 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

"Sure, say something about it, but he shouldn't have lost his job over it."

Why not? Professionalism is important. Don't you work for an organization in which "gentlemanly" conduct is an actual job requirement?

#15 | Posted by DirkStruan at 2017-04-21 09:18 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

had enough of politically correct yet?

#16 | Posted by AuntieSocial at 2017-04-23 10:37 AM | Reply

#3 | Posted by boaz

I don't like that either. When you are with colleagues you need to keep yourself professional. I like to hang with people who can be open with me. But then again when I find I am in the company of people like this I leave it. I can have an open discussion but baseless hate and abusive power are not something to be tolerated. Honestly that is a conservative theme I have found all too often. Everything coming out about this guy seems to fit "deplorable" as a tag.

#17 | Posted by GalaxiePete at 2017-04-23 12:49 PM | Reply

The following HTML tags are allowed in comments: a href, b, i, p, br, ul, ol, li and blockquote. Others will be stripped out. Participants in this discussion must follow the site's moderation policy. Profanity will be filtered. Abusive conduct is not allowed.

Anyone can join this site and make comments. To post this comment, you must sign it with your Drudge Retort username. If you can't remember your username or password, use the lost password form to request it.
Username: