Wednesday, April 19, 2017

One of the most lavishly funded gadget startups in Silicon Valley last year was Juicero Inc. It makes a juice machine. The product was an unlikely pick for top technology investors, but they were drawn to the idea of an internet-connected device that transforms single-serving packets of chopped fruits and vegetables into a refreshing and healthy beverage. ... Juicero sells the machine for $400, plus the cost of individual juice packs delivered weekly. Tech blogs have dubbed it a "Keurig for juice." But after the product hit the market, some investors were surprised to discover a much cheaper alternative: You can squeeze the Juicero bags with your bare hands.

Comments

... You can squeeze the Juicero bags with your bare hands. ...

But... but... but... the juicer is internet-connected via WiFi. That alone should make everyone want it.

Perhaps, if they had an app ...

#1 | Posted by LampLighter at 2017-04-19 11:27 AM | Reply

If you are a major league ballplayer, can you be suspended for using this?

#2 | Posted by pumpkinhead at 2017-04-19 12:06 PM | Reply

I wonder how this might affect their next round of fundraising. I heard these guys are about to be bigger than Tesla...

#3 | Posted by catdog at 2017-04-19 12:17 PM | Reply | Funny: 1

They'll just redesign the juice pod so that it it explodes if you don't use their pod extraction machine which is powered by "likes" and funny flags.

#4 | Posted by SheepleSchism at 2017-04-19 12:47 PM | Reply

Its another miracle brought to you by mass communication systems. Snake oil salesmen do not have to travel anymore.

#5 | Posted by nutcase at 2017-04-19 01:46 PM | Reply

Lol, I was expecting it to at least be a blender which ground up prepacked/bagged fruit chunks. So... the machine is basically an internet connected despensor of prepackaged processed fruit liquid.

#6 | Posted by GOnoles92 at 2017-04-19 06:31 PM | Reply

Of all the uses for IoT I've come up with, a juicer has never been one of them. I'd love to sit in on those product design meetings though.

#7 | Posted by sitzkrieg at 2017-04-19 09:07 PM | Reply

How is this better than just buying juice?

#8 | Posted by TFDNihilist at 2017-04-20 05:03 AM | Reply

How is this better than just buying juice?

#8 | POSTED BY TFDNIHILIST

taking a selfie of me and my juice is just so 2000's.

I want a juicer that will send my photo to everyone on facebook, and have the caption, 'ummm, having my refreshing morning juice'.

I will get so many likes, everyone will surely see that i am the most ridiculous and self-important person on the planet.

#9 | Posted by kudzu at 2017-04-20 07:04 AM | Reply

or you could just eat a damned apple and get the juice AND fiber.

#10 | Posted by MUSTANG at 2017-04-20 08:13 AM | Reply

To me the worst aspect of blenders, etc. is cleaning up after I make my smoothie. If I can do it by hand and just throw away the containers I would much prefer to do it by hand and avoid the clean-up of the equipment.

#11 | Posted by danni at 2017-04-20 08:21 AM | Reply

...just throw away the containers...and avoid the clean-up...
#11 | POSTED BY DANNI

There's the problem, folks would rather create endless amounts of solid waste rather than have to clean up.

#12 | Posted by TFDNihilist at 2017-04-20 09:33 AM | Reply