Thursday, April 20, 2017

After widespread talk that the next Doctor Who will be played by a woman, a BBC complaints officer responded to a letter writer that this will not happen. The fan complained that the gender switch would confuse his young children and BBC rep Joanne Coyne replied, "We appreciate that you're a big Doctor Who fan and you have concerns that the program would change should there be a female doctor. Be assured there are currently no plans to have a female Doctor Who." When this response became public, the BBC contradicted it and said "no casting decisions have yet been made." Doctor Who just began season 10, the last with Peter Capaldi in the title role. Actresses Tilda Swinton, Phoebe Waller-Bridge and Natalie Dormer have been mentioned as possible successors.

Comments

The Doctor: "The passage of time is an illusion and life is the magician, because life only lets you see one day at a time. You remember being alive yesterday, you hope you're going to be alive tomorrow, so it feels like you are traveling one to the other but nobody's moving anywhere! Movies don't really move, they're just pictures -- lots and lots of pictures, all of them still, none of them moving, just frozen moments. But if you experience those pictures one after the other, then everything comes alive."

He also gives a terrific definition of TARDIS (Time And Relative Dimension in Space} and how that werks.

This is the last year for Peter Capaldi as the Dr... who was much better at it than I thought he's be. So around Christmas the talk will be about who is to be the next Dr.

Tom Baker still appears to be unavailable.

#1 | Posted by Corky at 2017-04-18 04:26 PM | Reply

What? No love for the Doctor?

I'm losing faith in you people!

#2 | Posted by Corky at 2017-04-19 12:56 PM | Reply

There were some good bits in this, and it was one of the better premieres compared to recent ones, but that's not saying much considering it was off the air last year. Peter Capaldi is absolutely great as the Doctor, but the show's been so badly mishandled by the BBC and Steven Moffat it's no wonder he and every other actor won't stick around longer than 3 seasons. After Christmas it sounds like the next season won't air until fall of 2018. Way to slowly kill the goose that lays the golden eggs.

#3 | Posted by sentinel at 2017-04-19 08:55 PM | Reply

I mostly blame Moffat for the problems. I'm a lifelong fan of the programme and have seen literally every episode still in existence. In its 50+ year history, the stories where Moffat is in control of editorial decisions are by far the weakest.

#4 | Posted by RevDarko at 2017-04-20 11:38 AM | Reply

"The fan complained that the gender switch would confuse his young children"

Most episodes contain more confusing plot devices/sci-fi mumbo jumbo than that. If that's so confusing to this guy's kids, then surely they are baffled by 90% of the episodes.

Also, if they're too young to understand the plot they are also probably too young to be watching a show that often contains elements of horror.

#5 | Posted by Sully at 2017-04-20 12:10 PM | Reply

I mostly blame Moffat for the problems... the stories where Moffat is in control of editorial decisions are by far the weakest.
#4 | POSTED BY REVDARKO AT 2017-04-20 11:38 AM

Ya know, I'm a casual watcher of the show (i.e. often catch them out of order, bounce from season to season, etc) so I can't say for sure that the eps that I have felt were less great were spearheaded by Moffat or not. It does look like he's only written around 30% of the reboot eps.

However I *will* say this-- I don't care, he's a god to me for Sherlock alone. That series is beyond brilliant.

(And I agree fully with Sully... what a stupid reason. I find that when people say "the kids will if " it usually means that it's the ADULT who has the issue, not the kid.)

#6 | Posted by deadseasquirrel at 2017-04-20 12:24 PM | Reply

Just now catching up on season 9 on Amazon prime. I like capaldi as the Doctor but the rest of my family is still upset over the loss of smith. They don't want to watch capaldi but don't want me to get ahead of them in episodes either, when season 10 came out I told them tough you either watch it with me, on your own or not at all but I'm not falling farther behind just because you had a crush on Matt Smith. Much like corky I'm still not over Tom Baker but I've still watched all the doctors since.

A female doctor would be fine with me, or not whatever. Not sure how the lady in question was able to explain the master becoming missy but couldn't explain a female doctor?

Bottom line male or female isn't it time the doctor finally got his wish and was ging?

#7 | Posted by TaoWarrior at 2017-04-20 01:23 PM | Reply

Tao,

I wouldn't tell your family this, but behind the scenes rumours are that Moffat and Smith are pressing for Smith's return.

That'd bloody ruin it for me, as I'm the opposite of your family. I endured his run ... But it was painful.

#8 | Posted by RevDarko at 2017-04-20 02:07 PM | Reply

hmmm Madonna would be a good choice to play the doctor...

William Shatner could do it as well.

Those are my choices... for worst doctor Who, ever...

#9 | Posted by Pegasus at 2017-04-20 03:45 PM | Reply

I'd love to see Benedict Cumberbatch as the Doctor, but he's turned it down before and has said he wouldn't do it or Star Wars.

Right now he's filming The Child In Time, a TV adaptation of celebrated author Ian McEwan's 1987 novel.

Read more: www.dailymail.co.uk

#10 | Posted by Corky at 2017-04-20 04:22 PM | Reply

Cumberbatch would make a terrible doctor IMO.

I prefer when they go with a relative unknown like with Tennant where there are no preconceived idea about what the actor will bring to the role. It's also a great career jumpstart for an aspiring actor.

#11 | Posted by TaoWarrior at 2017-04-20 04:39 PM | Reply

They would kill to get Cumberbatch.

#12 | Posted by Corky at 2017-04-20 04:43 PM | Reply

I'm sure they would corky but that doesn't mean I would like him as the doctor. I would watch, but my expectation would be low. Cumbersomename is a good actor though so perhaps he could surprise me.

#13 | Posted by TaoWarrior at 2017-04-20 04:50 PM | Reply

I didn't mean that you would, Tao. Just that they would.

#14 | Posted by Corky at 2017-04-20 04:55 PM | Reply

--Cumbersomename

He's a lousy Sherlock Holmes compared to Jeremy Brett. Too over-the-top. It might be the producer's fault, though.

#15 | Posted by nullifidian at 2017-04-20 06:28 PM | Reply

The headline for this thread reminds me of the entire housing military.

#16 | Posted by JeffJ at 2017-04-21 01:12 PM | Reply

lol, not my fault.... it was edited.

#17 | Posted by Corky at 2017-04-21 01:13 PM | Reply